coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 12 Mar 2007 16:19:58
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: 3mm Heli-Coil
OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
$65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
alternatives?

David





 
Date: 14 Mar 2007 10:43:12
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
On 14, 8:01 am, Randy G. <f...@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote:
> "DavidMLewis" <DavidMLe...@mac.com> wrote:
> >But in thinking about what you say, it
> >occurs to me that there's probably room to drill it out, epoxy a nut
> >to the back of the piece, and use a longer screw. Thanks!
>
> If there is room for a nut behind then you probably don't have to
> drill- just get a longer screw of the same diameter and use the nut,
> maybe adding a washer.
>
Already done and working, for a total cost of US$1.27.

David "JB Weld R Us" Lewis




 
Date: 13 Mar 2007 08:56:30
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
On 12, 8:13 pm, "Roger Shoaf" <s...@nospamsyix.com > wrote:
> "DavidMLewis" <DavidMLe...@mac.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173741598.154133.4250@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
>
> > OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
> > back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
> > upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
> > $65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
> > the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
> > alternatives?
>
> As others have suggested retapping to the next larger size There might be
> some other options. One if you have depth available you can drill deeper
> and use a longer screw, or the other option might be to weld up the hole and
> start from scratch. If the material is die cast that proposition is
> probably not viable. If it is pot metal and thicker or longer won't work,
> rather than a heli-coil, you could probably make your own threaded insert.
> The original is drilled out and the new one is epoxies in place.
>
Thanks for the suggestions. Using a larger screw isn't desirable
because it would remind me of my stupidity every time I looked at it.
Since there are already enough things in my life that do that, I don't
really need to be reminded. But in thinking about what you say, it
occurs to me that there's probably room to drill it out, epoxy a nut
to the back of the piece, and use a longer screw. Thanks!

Best,
David




  
Date: 14 Mar 2007 08:01:00
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
"DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com > wrote:


>Thanks for the suggestions. Using a larger screw isn't desirable
>because it would remind me of my stupidity every time I looked at it.
>Since there are already enough things in my life that do that, I don't
>really need to be reminded. But in thinking about what you say, it
>occurs to me that there's probably room to drill it out, epoxy a nut
>to the back of the piece, and use a longer screw. Thanks!
>
If there is room for a nut behind then you probably don't have to
drill- just get a longer screw of the same diameter and use the nut,
maybe adding a washer.


Randy "lots of nutz" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com




 
Date: 13 Mar 2007 12:42:53
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
On 12 2007 16:19:58 -0700, "DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com >
wrote:

>OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
>back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
>upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
>$65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
>the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
>alternatives?
>
> David

There's a certain engineer in Texas who recommends regular disassembly
of burrs. I think you should send it to him. :-)

shall "see 'expert mechanics' thread 2/7/07"


  
Date: 13 Mar 2007 11:32:38
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil

"shall" <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote in message
news:5v6dv254caq4d19215ufp0rmgrha5vs64r@4ax.com...
> On 12 2007 16:19:58 -0700, "DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com>
> wrote:
>
>>OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
>>back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
>>upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
>>$65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
>>the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
>>alternatives?
>>
>> David
>
> There's a certain engineer in Texas who recommends regular disassembly
> of burrs. I think you should send it to him. :-)
>
> shall "see 'expert mechanics' thread 2/7/07"


heheheheh!




 
Date: 13 Mar 2007 10:02:20
From: D. Ross
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil


 
Date: 13 Mar 2007 02:08:13
From: Felix
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
David (Lewis) asks:
> about US $65 with tax and shipping for a
> 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of the
> local machine shops seem to have one.
> Do I have any reasonable alternatives?

Using a smaller size might work, e.g. filling the hole with epoxy,
drilling, etc. But 3mm is pretty small already ... Maybe this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/ket/item.cfm?itemId=270137

8 inserts for 10 screws? I guess these kits are a bit like hot dogs
and hot dog buns:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_350.html

> I got a little aggressive when I was putting
> a burr back into my NS Grinta

I've never had this problem, but eventually decided that it makes more
sense to clean the burrs without removing them, unless I think it
might be time to replace them. There are exceptional cases, of course,
especially if you like to buy used grinders.


Felix



 
Date: 12 Mar 2007 20:13:01
From: Roger Shoaf
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil

"DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com > wrote in message
news:1173741598.154133.4250@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
> OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
> back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
> upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
> $65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
> the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
> alternatives?
>

As others have suggested retapping to the next larger size There might be
some other options. One if you have depth available you can drill deeper
and use a longer screw, or the other option might be to weld up the hole and
start from scratch. If the material is die cast that proposition is
probably not viable. If it is pot metal and thicker or longer won't work,
rather than a heli-coil, you could probably make your own threaded insert.
The original is drilled out and the new one is epoxies in place.

--
Roger Shoaf
If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in the solvent.




 
Date: 12 Mar 2007 19:54:24
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
can you get a 4 mm screw and tap one size larger?

try Grainger?

dave


"DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com > wrote in message
news:1173741598.154133.4250@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
> OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
> back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
> upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
> $65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
> the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
> alternatives?
>
> David
>




  
Date: 12 Mar 2007 21:22:04
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:12vbq1k59le0adf@corp.supernews.com...
> can you get a 4 mm screw and tap one size larger?
>
> try Grainger?
>
> dave
>
>
> "DavidMLewis" <DavidMLewis@mac.com> wrote in message
> news:1173741598.154133.4250@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...
>> OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
>> back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
>> upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
>> $65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none
>> of
>> the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
>> alternatives?
>>
>> David
>>
>
>

What I said too on Fri 9th further down here, Re: Silvia mechanical
issues.
Craig.



 
Date: 12 Mar 2007 18:54:12
From: notbob
Subject: Re: 3mm Heli-Coil
On 2007-03-12, DavidMLewis <DavidMLewis@mac.com > wrote:
> OK, I screwed up. I got a little aggressive when I was putting a burr
> back into my NS Grinta, and I stripped one of the 3 mm threads in the
> upper burr carrier. McMaster-Carr, bless their hearts, want about US
> $65 with tax and shipping for a 3 mm Heli-Coil kit, and so far none of
> the local machine shops seem to have one. Do I have any reasonable
> alternatives?

If you have enough material, drill and tap to a bigger size, either
metric or SAE. Drill and tap and handle shouldn't cost even half the
helicoil price.

nb