coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 02 Dec 2006 16:11:36
From: normstar
Subject: 7 days and counting...
Well I am getting close. It's been a week since Miss Silvia and Rocky
moved in and I think i've hit my first milestone. I just got my
Bottomless Portafilter and I quickly realized a few things. With this
new PF my pours were coming out much faster, so I went down two notches
on Rocky to #9. Now I'm getting 2oz in approx. 25 seconds. The crema
is also much darker now, does that mean I am getting closer to the
right ratio of grind/tamp?

Secondly, sometimes I notice some pure water coming around the outside
of the PF and dropping into the brew. Do I simply not have the PF
seated tight enough? I give it a good yank when I set it in there, but
I don't want to over power it. So I tried doing it a little bit harder
and the water almost went away, but there was still a tiny bit on my
latest pour. Anyway, that's where I'm at and I would appreicate any
thoughts/tips/suggestions!

andy

p.s. Can anyone recommend any video's of great pours (other than the
WLL site) that I can use as a reference?





 
Date: 03 Dec 2006 16:56:18
From: normstar
Subject: Re: 7 days and counting...
CoffeeKid wrote:
> If you have the newest Silvia, there should be a crudely painted red
> dot on the shroud around the grouphead - it's at about the 5 o:clock
> position (if you were looking straight down from the top of the
> machine). That's where you need to crank it over to.
>
> Also make sure before inserting the PF that everything is clean -
> bayonets, filter rim, PF rim, the works.
>
> k

Thanks for the tips. Just for the record, I do have the newest Silvia
(3.0, or "pod adaptable") and there is no dot. The leak has all but
gone away by tightening the PF more. I was just afraid of breaking it!
I spend a lot of time in the gym and, well, i'm just careful!

andy



  
Date: 04 Dec 2006 06:54:28
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: 7 days and counting...
On 3 Dec 2006 16:56:18 -0800, "normstar" <anorman74@gmail.com > wrote:

>CoffeeKid wrote:
>> If you have the newest Silvia, there should be a crudely painted red
>> dot on the shroud around the grouphead - it's at about the 5 o:clock
>> position (if you were looking straight down from the top of the
>> machine). That's where you need to crank it over to.
>>
>> Also make sure before inserting the PF that everything is clean -
>> bayonets, filter rim, PF rim, the works.
>>
>> k
>
>Thanks for the tips. Just for the record, I do have the newest Silvia
>(3.0, or "pod adaptable") and there is no dot. The leak has all but
>gone away by tightening the PF more. I was just afraid of breaking it!
> I spend a lot of time in the gym and, well, i'm just careful!
>
>andy

From the posts here and my own experience, I'd say about 90% of
Silvias require a forceful, two-handed tightening. A few lucky souls
get machines that tighten with no effort at all.

It's not spoken of often, but one of the side benefits of E-61's is
they usually require no effort for a tight fit. The first time I used
a genuine Faema E-61, I assumed it would required a two-handed,
Silvia-style tightening and promptly grabbed the brewhead - - firmly.
2nd degree burns ensued.

shall


 
Date: 03 Dec 2006 14:03:12
From: CoffeeKid
Subject: Re: 7 days and counting...

normstar wrote:

> Secondly, sometimes I notice some pure water coming around the outside
> of the PF and dropping into the brew. Do I simply not have the PF
> seated tight enough? I give it a good yank when I set it in there, but
> I don't want to over power it. So I tried doing it a little bit harder
> and the water almost went away, but there was still a tiny bit on my
> latest pour.

If you have the newest Silvia, there should be a crudely painted red
dot on the shroud around the grouphead - it's at about the 5 o:clock
position (if you were looking straight down from the top of the
machine). That's where you need to crank it over to.

Also make sure before inserting the PF that everything is clean -
bayonets, filter rim, PF rim, the works.

k



 
Date: 03 Dec 2006 00:22:14
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: 7 days and counting...
On 2 Dec 2006 16:11:36 -0800, "normstar" <anorman74@gmail.com > wrote:

>Bottomless Portafilter and I quickly realized a few things. With this
>new PF my pours were coming out much faster, so I went down two notches
>on Rocky to #9. Now I'm getting 2oz in approx. 25 seconds. The crema
>is also much darker now, does that mean I am getting closer to the
>right ratio of grind/tamp?
>

you're falling for the bottomless chimera.

a bottomless allows more crema into the cup, so you're 2oz pour is
probably about a 1.5oz "normal" pour. you can compare by swapping the
basket between the bottomless and your normal portafilter. the
"proper" grind would be the same for both methods.

or, you could weigh your shots and remove any doubt.


  
Date: 03 Dec 2006 09:20:07
From: bernie
Subject: Re: 7 days and counting...
Barry Jarrett wrote:
> On 2 Dec 2006 16:11:36 -0800, "normstar" <anorman74@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Bottomless Portafilter and I quickly realized a few things. With this
> >new PF my pours were coming out much faster, so I went down two notches
> >on Rocky to #9. Now I'm getting 2oz in approx. 25 seconds. The crema
> >is also much darker now, does that mean I am getting closer to the
> >right ratio of grind/tamp?
> >
>
> you're falling for the bottomless chimera.
>
> a bottomless allows more crema into the cup, so you're 2oz pour is
> probably about a 1.5oz "normal" pour. you can compare by swapping the
> basket between the bottomless and your normal portafilter. the
> "proper" grind would be the same for both methods.
>
> or, you could weigh your shots and remove any doubt.

The pster is also falling for the numbers. How does the espresso
taste? I find this a lot in newbies postings. I love the posts of "my
shots seem a more chocolaty at 20 seconds than at 30 seconds. To hell
with your numbers, I'm sticking to the best taste." Alas, they ain't
never bin such a post afaikr.
Bernie (less persnickityness-more taste)D.