coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 20 Oct 2006 09:51:10
From: AlanM
Subject: An old favorite is new again, for me
When I lived in Philadelphia my house was at the other end of the city
from the 9th Street Italian ket. Having moved South, that ket area
is still my favorite and now parts of it are accessible from my new home
in South Florida as Fantes.com

When my krups moka brew coffee maker died, and was not replaceable, I
went back to a glass vacuum, stove top. At http://fantes.com/ I found a
full inventory of Yama Coffee Siphons and others. They even had the
filters in stock, some decently priced green beans, and just about
anything imaginable for coffee or kitchen use.

VERY important to me they were even able to supply just the top part of
the syphon on which I had chipped the base.




 
Date: 20 Oct 2006 18:59:01
From: Felix
Subject: Re: An old favorite is new again, for me
AlanM writes:
> At http://fantes.com/ I found a [...]

For years, it was merely a source of information for me. My second
order arrived earlier this week ...


Felix



 
Date: 20 Oct 2006 14:03:38
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: An old favorite is new again, for me
Howdy Alan!
And welcome back into the world of vac pot users. I've been preaching the
value of vacuum coffee brewers for a long time. I use Silex vintage pots
myself because that's what my grandmother used & she left her Silex to me.
Once mastered there is no other method of brewing coffee that produces as
clean & flavorful extraction as the vac pot. A point about filters; I've
tried the new plastic mesh, cloth & paper filters but none work as well as
the old Silex rod with the spring lock. Like the vac pot itself, some things
work so well they are hard to improve upon.
--
Robert (nature abhors a vacuum, except when brewing coffee) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r


"AlanM" <michael1943@comcast.net > wrote in message
news:P7WdnRxRCbDNSaXYnZ2dnUVZ_qqdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> When I lived in Philadelphia my house was at the other end of the city
> from the 9th Street Italian ket. Having moved South, that ket area
> is still my favorite and now parts of it are accessible from my new home
> in South Florida as Fantes.com
>
> When my krups moka brew coffee maker died, and was not replaceable, I went
> back to a glass vacuum, stove top. At http://fantes.com/ I found a full
> inventory of Yama Coffee Siphons and others. They even had the filters in
> stock, some decently priced green beans, and just about anything
> imaginable for coffee or kitchen use.
>
> VERY important to me they were even able to supply just the top part of
> the syphon on which I had chipped the base.




  
Date: 20 Oct 2006 12:36:26
From: AlanM
Subject: Re: An old favorite is new again, for me
I have found my old Silex spring lock filter rod. Our move from Pa to
Fla involved a downsizing from a house of 3400 sq foot plus garage plus
yard to a condo of 1200 total. BUT, both the Cory rod and the Silex
spring lock seem possibly irreplaceable and did not take up much room in
the boxes.

Robert Harmon wrote:
> Howdy Alan!
> And welcome back into the world of vac pot users. I've been preaching the
> value of vacuum coffee brewers for a long time. I use Silex vintage pots
> myself because that's what my grandmother used & she left her Silex to me.
> Once mastered there is no other method of brewing coffee that produces as
> clean & flavorful extraction as the vac pot. A point about filters; I've
> tried the new plastic mesh, cloth & paper filters but none work as well as
> the old Silex rod with the spring lock. Like the vac pot itself, some things
> work so well they are hard to improve upon.


   
Date: 20 Oct 2006 12:47:16
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: An old favorite is new again, for me

"AlanM" <michael1943@comcast.net > wrote in message
news:Q8adnUGlkoGQZqXYnZ2dnUVZ_vSdnZ2d@comcast.com...
>I have found my old Silex spring lock filter rod. Our move from Pa to
>Fla involved a downsizing from a house of 3400 sq foot plus garage plus
>yard to a condo of 1200 total. BUT, both the Cory rod and the Silex
>spring lock seem possibly irreplaceable and did not take up much room
>in the boxes.
>

Hi Alan, they're not irreplaceable & they come up on eBay auctions often
enough. {:-)
Cheers!
Craig.