coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 30 Sep 2006 06:30:48
From:
Subject: Calibrating Rocky Grinder
Hi,

Just bought a Rancilio Rocky Grinder .. what a tank :-)

The information provided in the manual was slim at best. Calibrated
Rocky according to the provided instructions by setting the burrs to
index 7 ... found that the result was almost a talc like powder.

Searching the net I found alternative calibration instructions ... find
zero point by setting the index to 10 and then stepping down until you
hear the plates begin to touch.

This resulted in a zero point at index 6.

Then backing off by 7 clicks provide a pretty decent grind that
produced a very good cup of expresso.

My question .. is it reasonable to expect the Rocky to have such a
large offset from the indicated zero point on the dial straight from
the factory .. it would seem that the grinder was never calibrated at
the factory .. is this what most new Rocky owners experience?

Regards,

Phil





 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 13:36:22
From:
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky Grinder - Thanks

philipquillen@yahoo.com wrote:

Thanks for all the replies .. very helpfuil .. that's what I love about
this newsgroup .. and true the 'numbers' are 'meaningless' except that
Rancilio uses them as an absolute in there documentation .. which is
misleading ..at least it was for me :-)

Regards
.



 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 12:12:48
From: wes
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky ???
Dave's right,

They just paste the number dial sticker on. I originally thought when I
took my grinder apart I could spin the hopper to the right place when I
put it back together, so that 0 would be the burrs touching, but the
hopper will only screw back down in a certain orientation, so you can
only get so close when you put it back together.

If you notice after a certain point that you can't get the hopper to
turn down to the burrs touching, make sure you open it up and clean
it, as coffee can build up a couple places down inside and block the
mechanism from getting past a certain fineness of grind. I put some
teflon tape on the brass threads, and that helped a lot, no more slop
when I adjust the grind, and it has been working more consistently.

Hope that makes a little sense, and helps.

Wes

daveb wrote:
> the actual numbers on the dial are meaningless.
>
> If you get good espresso at 3 or 12, then that is the number that is
> important.
>
> they only test it to grind coffee at the factory -- It is NOT
> "calibrated" whatsoever.
>
> Dave
> "120" b
> www.hitechespresso.com



  
Date: 30 Sep 2006 15:51:52
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky ???

"wes" <wnance3@rochester.rr.com > wrote in message
news:1159643568.245493.308740@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Dave's right,
>
> They just paste the number dial sticker on. I originally thought when
> I
> took my grinder apart I could spin the hopper to the right place when
> I
> put it back together, so that 0 would be the burrs touching, but the
> hopper will only screw back down in a certain orientation, so you can
> only get so close when you put it back together.
>
> If you notice after a certain point that you can't get the hopper to
> turn down to the burrs touching, make sure you open it up and clean
> it, as coffee can build up a couple places down inside and block the
> mechanism from getting past a certain fineness of grind. I put some
> teflon tape on the brass threads, and that helped a lot, no more slop
> when I adjust the grind, and it has been working more consistently.
>
> Hope that makes a little sense, and helps.
>
> Wes
>
> daveb wrote:
>> the actual numbers on the dial are meaningless.
>>
>> If you get good espresso at 3 or 12, then that is the number that is
>> important.
>>
>> they only test it to grind coffee at the factory -- It is NOT
>> "calibrated" whatsoever.
>>
>> Dave
>> "120" b
>> www.hitechespresso.com
>

For your "zero" point, there's actually 2 of them., a static (off) &
dynamic (running) condition zero point. The static zero point is with
the grinder off & the upper burr carrier screwed down to touch the lower
burr. When the grinder is running & you screw the upper burr carrier
down to a light wisper touch, the setting is higher & your true
reference zero point.

On my Rocky my static zero point is +2 & dynamic is +5.
Cheers,
Craig.




 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 09:26:06
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky Grinder short rg post.
The shortest post by rg in 6 years!


Randy G. wrote:
> philipquillen@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>
> >My question .. is it reasonable to expect the Rocky to have such a
> >large offset from the indicated zero point on the dial straight from
> >the factory ..
> >
> Reasonable? Maybe not.
> Common? Absolutely.
>
> >.. it would seem that the grinder was never calibrated at
> >the factory .. is this what most new Rocky owners experience?
> >
> Yes.
>
> Randy "it's just a number" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com



 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 08:45:25
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky Grinder
the actual numbers on the dial are meaningless.

If you get good espresso at 3 or 12, then that is the number that is
important.

they only test it to grind coffee at the factory -- It is NOT
"calibrated" whatsoever.

Dave
"120" b
www.hitechespresso.com



 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 08:39:42
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky ???
the actual numbers on the dial are meaningless.

If you get good espresso at 3 or 12, then that is the number that is
important.

they only test it to grind coffee at the factory -- It is NOT
"calibrated" whatsoever.

Dave
"120" b
www.hitechespresso.com



 
Date: 30 Sep 2006 08:38:20
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Calibrating Rocky Grinder
philipquillen@yahoo.com wrote:


>My question .. is it reasonable to expect the Rocky to have such a
>large offset from the indicated zero point on the dial straight from
>the factory ..
>
Reasonable? Maybe not.
Common? Absolutely.

>.. it would seem that the grinder was never calibrated at
>the factory .. is this what most new Rocky owners experience?
>
Yes.

Randy "it's just a number" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com