coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 18 Dec 2006 20:08:37
From: normstar
Subject: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???
Hi,

I just got back from vaca and used some stale coffee (about 3-4 weeks
old). I could tell Silvia was choking a bit, so I tried lightening the
grind and tamp, but I still ended up with a large pool of water on the
counter. I also noticed a little water leaking out the top of the PF,
which has never happened before on my stock doulbe basket Rancilio PF.

Could this have just been caused by the stale coffee choking Silvia?

n*





 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 20:38:35
From: normstar
Subject: Re: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???
Thanks Randy. On further review, it is in fact my solonoid valve. I
dont know why, but it seemed to be missing the drip tray and just
dripping right onto the counter because it was a pretty good flow. I
had to bust out the flashlight to see under there clearly!

It's just weird that I had it pretty well dialed in, then after going
away for a few days all hell breaks loose!

n*



  
Date: 19 Dec 2006 00:37:53
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???

"normstar" <anorman74@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166503115.648000.206320@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks Randy. On further review, it is in fact my solonoid valve. I
> dont know why, but it seemed to be missing the drip tray and just
> dripping right onto the counter because it was a pretty good flow. I
> had to bust out the flashlight to see under there clearly!
>
> It's just weird that I had it pretty well dialed in, then after going
> away for a few days all hell breaks loose!
>
> n*
>

If the drip tray isn't pushed ALL the way to the back of/in its housing,
it won't be under & clear the outlet for the 3-way solenoid.
Craig.



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 20:33:13
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???
It may be a combination of things. First, old coffee can create more
dust which can lead to choking.

On the other hand, there should not be any water leaking out the bottom
of the machine. Check to be sure the drip tray is not overflowing. If
it is NOT, then the problem needs to be addressed internally. It could
be a split hose, cracked pump, leaking boiler gasket (very rare) loose
fitting on the boiler, leaking steam valve, or some such thing.

Since this has the potential of being a safety hazard, it needs to be
addressed now.

Randy "120v/60cps + h2o = death" G.
EspressoMyEspresso.com

normstar wrote:
> Also wanted to mention, there is some water coming out of the back!?
> It looks like its coming out right underneath the tank on the very back
> middle area. This is in addition to some coming out of the solonoid
> valves.
>
> >
> > I just got back from vaca and used some stale coffee (about 3-4 weeks
> > old). I could tell Silvia was choking a bit, so I tried lightening the
> > grind and tamp, but I still ended up with a large pool of water on the
> > counter. I also noticed a little water leaking out the top of the PF,
> > which has never happened before on my stock doulbe basket Rancilio PF.
> >
> > Could this have just been caused by the stale coffee choking Silvia?



  
Date: 14 Jan 2007 10:10:46
From:
Subject: Re: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???
In article <1166502793.541419.272940@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com >,
Randy G. <frcn@cncnet.com > wrote:
> It may be a combination of things. First, old coffee can create more
> dust which can lead to choking.

Further to this, I can report a similar major upset in the way our
machine was making coffees just because the coffee was getting stale!
What an amazing difference it makes. We have a Vibiemme domobar and
Rocky grinder.

Over the Xmas break I think we were sent old beans (Allpress
Ponsonby), and by the time we got to the end of our kilo they were
decidedly second hand. We plugged on in the interests of economy but
eventually the machine either choked or produced poor coffee.

The shots were not so much bitter as really unpleasant, and maybe a
bit acidic.

Interestingly the way it came out was as a blackish runny liquid
without crema at lowish pressure (6-8) which quickly built up to 13
when some crema developed. I first thought it was old grinds in the
grinder. I cleaned that out, then found it difficult to dial in
afterwards.

Fresh beans cured it. There is such a lot of difference in the way
stale coffee grinds and acts under pressure!

Have I been spoit all these years by never really experiencing stale
beans? ;)

Brian

--
Auckland NEW ZEALAND



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 20:18:19
From: normstar
Subject: Re: Can stale coffee cause choking/leaking???
Also wanted to mention, there is some water coming out of the back!?
It looks like its coming out right underneath the tank on the very back
middle area. This is in addition to some coming out of the solonoid
valves.

n*

normstar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got back from vaca and used some stale coffee (about 3-4 weeks
> old). I could tell Silvia was choking a bit, so I tried lightening the
> grind and tamp, but I still ended up with a large pool of water on the
> counter. I also noticed a little water leaking out the top of the PF,
> which has never happened before on my stock doulbe basket Rancilio PF.
>
> Could this have just been caused by the stale coffee choking Silvia?
>
> n*