coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 12 Sep 2007 03:26:14
From: jknotzke
Subject: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'

Hi,

I have a Cimbali Jr. I've owned it for several years, works like a
charm.

In the past few weeks however, when the element kicks in there is a
thumping noise, sometimes 2-3 times. This thumping is quite noticeable
and loud enough to cause some vibrations.

I suspect it's something to do with the water and steam being
heated up again but hey, what do I know?

It's NOT the solenoid or anything of the sort. I'm 100% it's going
on in the boiler itself.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

J





 
Date: 12 Sep 2007 10:33:41
From: jknotzke
Subject: Re: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'
On Sep 12, 8:42 am, "Craig Andrews" <alt.cof...@deletethis.rogers.com >
wrote:

> That's exactly what it is, heating element limescale. It's the same noise
> with a scaled kettle heating element also.

Yet, what's interesting is that I simple shut off the machine, let
it cooled, stuffed a coupla litres of water/citric acid into the
boiler and voila, no more noise.

Does citric acid remove that much scale in that short amount of
time ?

J




  
Date: 12 Sep 2007 14:35:57
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'

"jknotzke" <jknotzke@shampoo.ca > wrote in message
news:1189618421.807572.222240@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 12, 8:42 am, "Craig Andrews" <alt.cof...@deletethis.rogers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> That's exactly what it is, heating element limescale. It's the same noise
>> with a scaled kettle heating element also.
>
> Yet, what's interesting is that I simple shut off the machine, let
> it cooled, stuffed a coupla litres of water/citric acid into the
> boiler and voila, no more noise.
>
> Does citric acid remove that much scale in that short amount of
> time ?
>
> J
>
>

It can/could, it depends on the temp of the solution., hotter works faster.
Also the concentration of the solution too, 1 to 1.5 tablespoons or 8 to 12
grams of citric acid dissolved in 1 liter of water is a 2.25% to 3.5%
solution & in a hr or 2 will dissolve up to approx 5 grams of scale.
Craig.



 
Date: 12 Sep 2007 18:01:51
From: Danny
Subject: Re: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'
jknotzke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Cimbali Jr. I've owned it for several years, works like a
> charm.
>
> In the past few weeks however, when the element kicks in there is a
> thumping noise, sometimes 2-3 times. This thumping is quite noticeable
> and loud enough to cause some vibrations.
>
> I suspect it's something to do with the water and steam being
> heated up again but hey, what do I know?
>
> It's NOT the solenoid or anything of the sort. I'm 100% it's going
> on in the boiler itself.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks
>
> J
>

Most probably full of scale.

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
(apparently bad grammar but I like it that way...)



 
Date: 12 Sep 2007 04:02:42
From: jknotzke
Subject: Re: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'
On Sep 12, 6:26 am, jknotzke <jknot...@shampoo.ca > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Cimbali Jr. I've owned it for several years, works like a
> charm.

Well, to reply to my own post, I just turned her off, let her cool
down for a while and fired her back up and no worries. The thumping is
gone. Oh, I normally leave my Cimabli on 24/7.

I suspect there might be some scaling going on. I am going to run
some citric acid through her.. worst case, take the element out and
have a looksy.

J



  
Date: 12 Sep 2007 08:42:12
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Cimba Jr's Thumpin'

"jknotzke" <jknotzke@shampoo.ca > wrote in message
news:1189594962.250526.211380@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
> On Sep 12, 6:26 am, jknotzke <jknot...@shampoo.ca> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Cimbali Jr. I've owned it for several years, works like a
>> charm.
>
> Well, to reply to my own post, I just turned her off, let her cool
> down for a while and fired her back up and no worries. The thumping is
> gone. Oh, I normally leave my Cimabli on 24/7.
>
> I suspect there might be some scaling going on. I am going to run
> some citric acid through her.. worst case, take the element out and
> have a looksy.
>
> J
>

That's exactly what it is, heating element limescale. It's the same noise
with a scaled kettle heating element also.
Craig.