coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 19 Mar 2007 06:29:53
From:
Subject: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
Good day all.

I'm new to espresso world and would like to purchase a grinder. I see
that I can buy a ZASSENHAUS on ebay for around $60.00 plus $20
shipping from overseas. So for $100< I'm not so sure this is a good
buy or if i should step in an extra $100 and just buy an electric
machine, and what model would be optimal for a smaller size and
quality for the price? I have little kitchen space and this is a
problem and I'm a teacher so the extra cash isn't as fluid as i would
like. Any ideas from such a dedicated group? greta





 
Date: 20 Mar 2007 03:14:33
From: Travesso
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
On 19, 9:29 am, c...@charter.net wrote:
> Good day all.
>
> I'm new to espresso world and would like to purchase a grinder. I see
> that I can buy a ZASSENHAUS on ebay for around $60.00 plus $20
> shipping from overseas. So for $100< I'm not so sure this is a good
> buy or if i should step in an extra $100 and just buy an electric
> machine, and what model would be optimal for a smaller size and
> quality for the price? I have little kitchen space and this is a
> problem and I'm a teacher so the extra cash isn't as fluid as i would
> like. Any ideas from such a dedicated group? greta

I don't know if you purchased it, but it went for $71.50 plus $19.90
shipping ($91.40) with no insurance or warranty. For 85.20 plus $7.21
shipping ($92.41) you get a brand new one with a 10 year warranty.
https://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC/PROD/Hand_Coffee_Mills/00002485

There are a lot of much cheaper Greek ones; are any of those any good?
http://www.peppermillimports.com/shop.htm



  
Date: 20 Mar 2007 08:35:24
From: J. Clarke
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
Travesso wrote:
> On 19, 9:29 am, c...@charter.net wrote:
>> Good day all.
>>
>> I'm new to espresso world and would like to purchase a grinder. I
>> see that I can buy a ZASSENHAUS on ebay for around $60.00 plus $20
>> shipping from overseas. So for $100< I'm not so sure this is a good
>> buy or if i should step in an extra $100 and just buy an electric
>> machine, and what model would be optimal for a smaller size and
>> quality for the price? I have little kitchen space and this is a
>> problem and I'm a teacher so the extra cash isn't as fluid as i would
>> like. Any ideas from such a dedicated group? greta
>
> I don't know if you purchased it, but it went for $71.50 plus $19.90
> shipping ($91.40) with no insurance or warranty. For 85.20 plus $7.21
> shipping ($92.41) you get a brand new one with a 10 year warranty.
> https://baldmountaincoffee.com/page/BMCC/PROD/Hand_Coffee_Mills/00002485

Actually you don't. Not until the middle of May at the earliest and
maybe not even then. Zass stopped producing the Turkish Grind
mill--apparently the new management has reversed that decision but God
knows when they'll actually ship product (assuming they don't change
their minds). The one on ebay is available _now_.

> There are a lot of much cheaper Greek ones; are any of those any good?
> http://www.peppermillimports.com/shop.htm

--
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)




 
Date: 20 Mar 2007 01:51:14
From:
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
ZASSENHAUS is fine for espresso. However, it does take a fair amount
of effort and time to grind. So if you are not into entertaining,
drink a cup or two and don't mind the hassle, then it will suffice.



 
Date: 20 Mar 2007 04:44:42
From: D. Ross
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?


 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 13:35:32
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
If I take you at your word, then let's start from the beginning:

There are some Zass grinders that are capable of doing espresso, but
unless you work out regularly and have excellent upper body endurance,
then the novelty of using a hand grinder and the net savings will wear
off fairly fast. There is the possibility of attaching a drill motor
to the grinder in lieu of the hand crank, but these are not designed
for service that hard.

My first question would be "what kind of espresso machine do you
have?" And since you said you are new to this and you did not mention
what espresso machine you have, then I will assume that you don't have
one.. With all that said, and (again) assuming that you are serious
about getting into espresso eventually, spend the money on a quality
grinder now and worry about the espresso machine down the line. A
quality grinder will last a lifetime if properly cared for. See
chapter 79 on my website for more on that.

Remember that the grinder is more important than the espresso machine
when it comes to making good espresso.

Randy "use to teach" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com





ch47@charter.net wrote:
>
>Good day all.
>
>I'm new to espresso world and would like to purchase a grinder. I see
>that I can buy a ZASSENHAUS on ebay for around $60.00 plus $20
>shipping from overseas. So for $100< I'm not so sure this is a good
>buy or if i should step in an extra $100 and just buy an electric
>machine, and what model would be optimal for a smaller size and
>quality for the price? I have little kitchen space and this is a
>problem and I'm a teacher so the extra cash isn't as fluid as i would
>like. Any ideas from such a dedicated group? greta


 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 09:41:58
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
On 19, 6:29 am, c...@charter.net wrote:
> Good day all.
>
> I'm new to espresso world and would like to purchase a grinder. I see
> that I can buy a ZASSENHAUS on ebay for around $60.00 plus $20
> shipping from overseas.

The Zass can do espresso, but you have to be willing to spend the
time, which will be about a minute for a double. The 169DG is favored,
as are the knee mills. The difficulty with a Zass off of eBay is that
they had some quality control problems a few years back, and then went
under, only to start emerging now. The specific issue involved upper
and lower burrs that weren't concentric. Make sure you get some kind
of warranty from whoever sells it to you.

Best,
David



  
Date: 19 Mar 2007 16:53:05
From: notbob
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
On 2007-03-19, DavidMLewis <DavidMLewis@mac.com > wrote:

> The Zass can do espresso, but you have to be willing to spend the
> time, which will be about a minute for a double. The 169DG is favored,
> as are the knee mills.

Yep.

A good Zazzy will do espresso just fine. I have a knee mill and it
works better than my $200 Ibiteral, so the Ibiteral has been demoted
to drip grinding and I use my Zazzy for espresso. Takes a minute or
two to crank out a double and is not the dull "grind" some would have
you believe. I find it kind of relaxing and therapeutic. Anyone who
doesn't have the time to hand grind coffee for a couple minutes
probably doesnt' have the time to properly prepare and fully enjoy a
good espresso.

I got my Zazzy for about $15 at an antique shop and make 2-3 espressos
per day.

nb


 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 08:00:38
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?


Well, I use a gas BBQ not charcoal --so in that vein, I'd say
electric.

Minimum entry level is, IMHO, the Gaggia MDF at about $200.
next the Rocky and several others at about 275, and on up

dave
www.hitechespresso.com



  
Date: 19 Mar 2007 17:03:05
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
This worries me - Dave & I never agree! But for this time only I'll admit
he's right on the money; the MDF is the minimum recommended grinder for
espresso. I do have a hand-crank machine I keep around for the occasional
hurricane-related power outage, but it's only an fall back grinder, I'd
never recommend the use of one on a daily basis. I'm all for modern
conveniences, although I do remember with fondness the ol' bump-start BSA
bike I had in the 50's.
--
Robert (Dave's right? Arghhh!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1174316438.189860.185410@l77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> Well, I use a gas BBQ not charcoal --so in that vein, I'd say
> electric.
>
> Minimum entry level is, IMHO, the Gaggia MDF at about $200.
> next the Rocky and several others at about 275, and on up
>
> dave
> www.hitechespresso.com
>




 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 07:00:56
From: dcrehr
Subject: Re: Clueless about ZASSENHAUS or better to go electric?
I am only an occasional espresso drinker, and I find the Zass the
perfect "second" grinder for that purpose. My main grinder is a
Kitchenaid Proline, which does not grind fine enough for espresso.
Short of spending the extra money for a dedicated espresso grinder...
or an upgraded model that would serve both purposes, the Zass does the
trick. However, it takes about 4 minutes to grind for one double of
espresso. If I made any more than one at a time, that would be a real
pain.

I got my Zassenhaus at the flea ket for $8

DR