coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 11 Sep 2006 13:58:45
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Cory gasket
I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a bit? Or is there a
source for a replacement? And it came with a package of 3 3/4" filters, but
I'm not sure if they are really for this model. Where do they go if they
are?






 
Date: 12 Sep 2006 10:16:08
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
I tried out the Cory and it works with the present gasket. I thought it
would be too hard to make a seal, but apparently it isn't. I am still
wondering if there is some treatment for the gasket that will help it make a
better seal. BTW, this is a good site for vac instructions:
http://baharris.org/coffee/Brewing.htm
The Cory took longer than I imagined to bring the coffee to the bottom, so
maybe a better seal would improve the process Or maybe I should have made
a full pot instead of half a pot [4-8 cup model].

"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote in message
news:5KydnXNbg5NJLJjYnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
>firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a >bit?




  
Date: 13 Sep 2006 06:41:28
From: Richard Wright
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:16:08 -0500, "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net >
wrote:

>I tried out the Cory and it works with the present gasket. I thought it
>would be too hard to make a seal, but apparently it isn't. I am still
>wondering if there is some treatment for the gasket that will help it make a
>better seal. BTW, this is a good site for vac instructions:
>http://baharris.org/coffee/Brewing.htm
>The Cory took longer than I imagined to bring the coffee to the bottom, so
>maybe a better seal would improve the process Or maybe I should have made
>a full pot instead of half a pot [4-8 cup model].
>
>"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>news:5KydnXNbg5NJLJjYnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>>I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
>>firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a >bit?
>

I don't know about softening the rubber, but I once resurrected a
cracked rubber seal by using a black silicon rubber gasket sealant
made by Selleys.

I put on a rubber glove and smeared the sealant very, very lightly
around the whole seal. It filled the cracks and provided an airtight
seal all round.

The dried result is probably inert from the health point of view, but
you might like to get advice. Anyway the water and coffee do not come
into contact with the sealant.


   
Date: 12 Sep 2006 18:01:54
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
IIRC Radio Shack sells some kind of silicone tape that others have used for
this purpose. If you search the archives it should come up.



"Richard Wright" <richwrigREMOVE@tig.com.au > wrote in message
news:j36eg2llja0sr5hda8hbdfh4326p3bpr33@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 10:16:08 -0500, "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I tried out the Cory and it works with the present gasket. I thought it
>>would be too hard to make a seal, but apparently it isn't. I am still
>>wondering if there is some treatment for the gasket that will help it make
>>a
>>better seal. BTW, this is a good site for vac instructions:
>>http://baharris.org/coffee/Brewing.htm
>>The Cory took longer than I imagined to bring the coffee to the bottom, so
>>maybe a better seal would improve the process Or maybe I should have
>>made
>>a full pot instead of half a pot [4-8 cup model].
>>
>>"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>>news:5KydnXNbg5NJLJjYnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>>>I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is
>>>fairly
>>>firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a >bit?
>>
>
> I don't know about softening the rubber, but I once resurrected a
> cracked rubber seal by using a black silicon rubber gasket sealant
> made by Selleys.
>
> I put on a rubber glove and smeared the sealant very, very lightly
> around the whole seal. It filled the cracks and provided an airtight
> seal all round.
>
> The dried result is probably inert from the health point of view, but
> you might like to get advice. Anyway the water and coffee do not come
> into contact with the sealant.




    
Date: 12 Sep 2006 21:45:47
From: Simpson
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
In article <EqWdnanoXOHOs5rYnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@comcast.com >,
nunuvyer@netscape.net says...
> IIRC Radio Shack sells some kind of silicone tape that others have used for
> this purpose. If you search the archives it should come up.
>
snip

Sadly, look fast as they just discontinued it. It is a silicone tape,
non-adhesive, and it adheres to itself. It is basically the same as 3M
Series 70 tape. As the company documentation says, it is used, "As an
overwrap for protection of terminating high-voltage cables against
arcing and tracking."

Stuff like it can be found on ebay, for instance:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2FD210CD

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?F21E620CD


Good luck. I've tried this in the past and it works, but not as well as
a 'real' gasket. The plus is, it won't make a mess of the original
equipment since it is adhesive free.

Ted

--
email me at:
tee en jay ess eye em pee ess oh en one-the-number (at) cee oh em cee a
ess tee (dot) en ee tee

ANY other email addie will probably mean I spam-killed your message
unread, by accident, really.


 
Date: 11 Sep 2006 13:57:33
From:
Subject: Re: Cory gasket

Harry Moos wrote:
> CB-Molding requires an order of 500 units; not ready for that. Couldn't
> find them on the FoodServiceDirect site. It directed me to Adcraft for
> replacement parts, but I couldn't find them after I got there. I'll try
> again later. Thanks.

Adcraft offers them to there distributors only sporadically. I tried
to buy one of their Nicro copies last year but couldn't find anyone
with them still in stock. foodservicedirect will have the gasket
occasionally, so you might check back periodically.

Matthew



 
Date: 11 Sep 2006 12:24:26
From: brookswv@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Cory gasket

Harry Moos wrote:
> I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
> firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a bit? Or is there a
> source for a replacement? And it came with a package of 3 3/4" filters, but
> I'm not sure if they are really for this model. Where do they go if they
> are?

Robert gave you the link - food service direct - for the Cory. From
what I've heard, there are some tricks to getting the one from FCD to
work with the Cory, but it will. Seemed to involve boiling and shaping
while hot. Can't remember right now. If I come across the info, I'll
try and reply.

As to location, if they fit, they'll go around the bottom of the
'funnel', near the globe. It's where the upper chamber seats onto the
lower carafe.

Jason



  
Date: 11 Sep 2006 21:18:35
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
Do you mean the rubber gasket or the filters? I still haven't figured out
if the filters are necessary or where they go. Mine does not have the "New
Cory Filter" glass rod -- it just says "Cory Filter." Were the gaskets
originally very pliable? Maybe heat and moisture will aid the seal.

<brookswv@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1158002666.411098.194500@q16g2000cwq.googlegroups.com...
>
>
> As to location, if they fit, they'll go around the bottom of the
> 'funnel', near the globe. It's where the upper chamber seats onto the
> lower carafe.
>
> Jason
>




 
Date: 11 Sep 2006 12:23:20
From: brookswv@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Cory gasket

Harry Moos wrote:
> I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
> firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a bit? Or is there a
> source for a replacement? And it came with a package of 3 3/4" filters, but
> I'm not sure if they are really for this model. Where do they go if they
> are?

Robert gave you the link - food service direct - for the Cory. From
what I've heard, there are some tricks to getting the one from FCD to
work with the Cory, but it will. Seemed to involve boiling and shaping
while hot. Can't remember right now. If I come across the info, I'll
try and reply.

Jason



 
Date: 11 Sep 2006 19:15:29
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
Here's where I've bought parts for my Silex vac pots.
http://www.cb-molding.com/store/
http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/176/CLID/597/N/94786/Vacuum_Coffee_Maker_Replacement_part.htm
--
Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote in message
news:5KydnXNbg5NJLJjYnZ2dnUVZ_rmdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>I just got a Cory vacuum pot -- all glass DRL model. The gasket is fairly
>firm. Is there some treatment that will soften it up a bit? Or is there a
>source for a replacement? And it came with a package of 3 3/4" filters,
>but I'm not sure if they are really for this model. Where do they go if
>they are?
>




  
Date: 11 Sep 2006 14:29:35
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Cory gasket
CB-Molding requires an order of 500 units; not ready for that. Couldn't
find them on the FoodServiceDirect site. It directed me to Adcraft for
replacement parts, but I couldn't find them after I got there. I'll try
again later. Thanks.

"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:lBiNg.10198$bM.3240@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Here's where I've bought parts for my Silex vac pots.
> http://www.cb-molding.com/store/
> http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/176/CLID/597/N/94786/Vacuum_Coffee_Maker_Replacement_part.htm
> --
> Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r