coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 30 Apr 2007 15:24:09
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Doserless Super Jolly
I meant to post this some time ago. It is a simple, cheap (free), mod
to an SJ (maybe others too), that makes it doserless. I've done it and
it works superbly.

Here's the link to Home-Barista forum thread (with pictures)

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/mazzer-super-jolly-2-liter-bottle-dose
rless-modification-t3545.html#37859




 
Date: 03 May 2007 20:52:26
From:
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On May 3, 6:16 pm, Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com > wrote:
> In article <4Dv_h.7169$rO7.2...@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
> "Tony Jester" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > <coffeeem...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >news:1178079138.237927.258270@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
> > > I love the panache of a cool soda-bottle accessory, but I opted for
> > > this conversion:
>
> > >http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_CHUTE
>
> > > Martin
>
> > $$$ ouch!
>
> Yep, brings a certain beauty to the soda bottle conversion, doesn't it?
> ;-)

Gotta tell you a story. A bunch of years ago, my dad, now 97 years
old and profoundly shaped by the Great Depression, stapled a large
cardboard extension to the brim of his baseball cap. Seems that he
needed a bit more protection from the sun, and he thought that the
cap's brim was too short. It looked a little goofy (actually, it
looked exactly like Goofy), but I thought it was a brilliant
solution. My wife shuddered at the prospect of what she had to look
forward to if the acorn (me) sprouted too close to the oak (Dad). Now
whenever I contemplate a perfectly sensible, (if less than aesthetic)
economy, she tugs on an imaginary brim of an imaginary hat.

So just imagine if she were to walk into the kitchen (all chromey and
stainless and stone) and see this inverted plastic contraption
prominant on the counter.

Martin




  
Date: 04 May 2007 11:05:26
From: Moka Java
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
coffeeemail@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 3, 6:16 pm, Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com> wrote:
>> In article <4Dv_h.7169$rO7.2...@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net>,
>> "Tony Jester" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <coffeeem...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:1178079138.237927.258270@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>>> I love the panache of a cool soda-bottle accessory, but I opted for
>>>> this conversion:
>>>> http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_CHUTE
>>>> Martin
>>> $$$ ouch!
>> Yep, brings a certain beauty to the soda bottle conversion, doesn't it?
>> ;-)
>
> Gotta tell you a story. A bunch of years ago, my dad, now 97 years
> old and profoundly shaped by the Great Depression, stapled a large
> cardboard extension to the brim of his baseball cap. Seems that he
> needed a bit more protection from the sun, and he thought that the
> cap's brim was too short. It looked a little goofy (actually, it
> looked exactly like Goofy), but I thought it was a brilliant
> solution. My wife shuddered at the prospect of what she had to look
> forward to if the acorn (me) sprouted too close to the oak (Dad). Now
> whenever I contemplate a perfectly sensible, (if less than aesthetic)
> economy, she tugs on an imaginary brim of an imaginary hat.
>
> So just imagine if she were to walk into the kitchen (all chromey and
> stainless and stone) and see this inverted plastic contraption
> prominant on the counter.
>
> Martin
>
>
Mazzer doser chute $150.65
Backing Plate $ 22.68
Gasket $ 2.29
Screen $

Avoiding a fight w/ the wife:

R "Priceless" TF


 
Date: 02 May 2007 07:49:47
From: Leo95se
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Apr 30, 11:15 pm, Dave b <davebobbl...@gmail.com > wrote:
> << il mio dio che =E8 solo ugly >>
>
> you must be single.
>
> [and the people at Mazzer cringe]
>
> dave

at your italian, im assuming, b/c that was ROUGH.



 
Date: 01 May 2007 21:12:18
From:
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On May 1, 8:39 pm, Marshall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:55:04 GMT, r...@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D.
>
> Ross) wrote:
> >Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever (Bersten's book has a
> >photo of a nice commercial doserless from 1928), and even in the home
> >setting you could always take the grounds box off the Pavoni PGC and use it
> >as a doserless. The Rancilio Jacky was a doserless grinder as well. I have
> >a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
> >trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>
> >- David R.
>
> We just wound down a debate on this on Home-barista.com. I took the
> anti-doserless (pro-doser?) position, citing the need for
> anti-clumping, redistribution rituals that it creates.
>
> The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
> gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
> espresso.
>
> Marshall

Citing one obsession or another as a root cause is always a safe bet
around here, but IMO, there's a bit more to it. Home users have
different needs than the commercial settings that have dictated
"traditional" designs. I could live with a gram or two old grounds.
However, my pm coffee is decaf, and an occasional guest also prefers
that. Sometimes I have a couple of regular "active" blends. For my
low-volume household, it's best to dispense with the hopper(s)
altogether and simply measure per shot and be satisfied that (nearly)
all the last shot's grounds are out of the "system." Even with my
Mini's hopper installed, there was still plenty o' clumping. With the
hopper gone, I've added the WDT anti-clumping ritual, but eliminated
the clacking ritual. No net gain or loss there, and a whole lot less
mess..

I love the panache of a cool soda-bottle accessory, but I opted for
this conversion:

http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_CHUTE

Martin






  
Date: 04 May 2007 01:02:56
From: Tony Jester
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

<coffeeemail@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1178079138.237927.258270@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...

> I love the panache of a cool soda-bottle accessory, but I opted for
> this conversion:
>
> http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_CHUTE
>
> Martin

$$$ ouch!




   
Date: 03 May 2007 20:16:24
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
In article <4Dv_h.7169$rO7.2874@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net >,
"Tony Jester" <nospam@nospam.com > wrote:

> <coffeeemail@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1178079138.237927.258270@u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I love the panache of a cool soda-bottle accessory, but I opted for
> > this conversion:
> >
> > http://www.espressoparts.com/product/MAZ_CHUTE
> >
> > Martin
>
> $$$ ouch!

Yep, brings a certain beauty to the soda bottle conversion, doesn't it?
;-)


 
Date: 01 May 2007 07:22:03
From: Dan Bollinger
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
>I meant to post this some time ago. It is a simple, cheap (free), mod
> to an SJ (maybe others too), that makes it doserless. I've done it and
> it works superbly.

Add a 'lollipop' stopper valve and it will become a single-doser, the best of
both worlds.
http://www.claycritters.com/coffee/Mazzer%20Mini%20single%20doser.jpg

Dan




 
Date: 01 May 2007 04:46:35
From: Dave b
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On May 1, 4:11 am, r...@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D. Ross) wrote:
> Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>


  
Date: 01 May 2007 21:55:04
From: D. Ross
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly


   
Date: 02 May 2007 03:39:25
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:55:04 GMT, ross@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D.
Ross) wrote:

>Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever (Bersten's book has a
>photo of a nice commercial doserless from 1928), and even in the home
>setting you could always take the grounds box off the Pavoni PGC and use it
>as a doserless. The Rancilio Jacky was a doserless grinder as well. I have
>a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
>trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>
>- David R.

We just wound down a debate on this on Home-barista.com. I took the
anti-doserless (pro-doser?) position, citing the need for
anti-clumping, redistribution rituals that it creates.

The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
espresso.

Marshall


    
Date: 02 May 2007 10:51:39
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:39:25 GMT, Marshall
<mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:55:04 GMT, ross@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D.
>Ross) wrote:
>
>>Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever (Bersten's book has a
>>photo of a nice commercial doserless from 1928), and even in the home
>>setting you could always take the grounds box off the Pavoni PGC and use it
>>as a doserless. The Rancilio Jacky was a doserless grinder as well. I have
>>a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
>>trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>>
>>- David R.
>
>We just wound down a debate on this on Home-barista.com. I took the
>anti-doserless (pro-doser?) position, citing the need for
>anti-clumping, redistribution rituals that it creates.
>

No WDT here w MACAP MC4. No clumping either.

>The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
>gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
>espresso.
>
Nope. Only drink espresso in the morning. No THWACK is primary reason.
IMO, doser grinders in the home are for wanna-be baristas

>Marshall

IMO, ALL doser grinders have been beaten with a VERY BIG UGLY STICK.
The coke bottle doserless is even uglier


     
Date: 02 May 2007 13:18:09
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
In article <ajjh33dhtodnch34ebvpjbdgaoqg8e6ofb@4ax.com >,
"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:39:25 GMT, Marshall
> <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:55:04 GMT, ross@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D.
> >Ross) wrote:
> >
> >>Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever (Bersten's book has a
> >>photo of a nice commercial doserless from 1928), and even in the home
> >>setting you could always take the grounds box off the Pavoni PGC and use it
> >>as a doserless. The Rancilio Jacky was a doserless grinder as well. I have
> >>a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
> >>trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
> >>
> >>- David R.
> >
> >We just wound down a debate on this on Home-barista.com. I took the
> >anti-doserless (pro-doser?) position, citing the need for
> >anti-clumping, redistribution rituals that it creates.
> >
>
> No WDT here w MACAP MC4. No clumping either.
>
> >The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
> >gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
> >espresso.
> >
> Nope. Only drink espresso in the morning. No THWACK is primary reason.
> IMO, doser grinders in the home are for wanna-be baristas
>
> >Marshall
>
> IMO, ALL doser grinders have been beaten with a VERY BIG UGLY STICK.
> The coke bottle doserless is even uglier

I believe that was a Mountain Dew doserless solution... ;-)

That said, a bit of work and it could look better. But so far the one I
did is flawless in operation. No static and nice fluffy grinds. The OP
of the thread on HB did later say that when he tried to do a bigger
load, that static was a problem though.


      
Date: 02 May 2007 12:17:07
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Wed, 02 May 2007 13:18:09 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
<lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote:

>In article <ajjh33dhtodnch34ebvpjbdgaoqg8e6ofb@4ax.com>,
> "I->Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:39:25 GMT, Marshall
>> <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tue, 01 May 2007 21:55:04 GMT, ross@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D.
>> >Ross) wrote:
>> >
>> >>Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever (Bersten's book has a
>> >>photo of a nice commercial doserless from 1928), and even in the home
>> >>setting you could always take the grounds box off the Pavoni PGC and use it
>> >>as a doserless. The Rancilio Jacky was a doserless grinder as well. I have
>> >>a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
>> >>trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>> >>
>> >>- David R.
>> >
>> >We just wound down a debate on this on Home-barista.com. I took the
>> >anti-doserless (pro-doser?) position, citing the need for
>> >anti-clumping, redistribution rituals that it creates.
>> >
>>
>> No WDT here w MACAP MC4. No clumping either.
>>
>> >The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
>> >gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
>> >espresso.
>> >
>> Nope. Only drink espresso in the morning. No THWACK is primary reason.
>> IMO, doser grinders in the home are for wanna-be baristas
>>
>> >Marshall
>>
>> IMO, ALL doser grinders have been beaten with a VERY BIG UGLY STICK.
>> The coke bottle doserless is even uglier
>
>I believe that was a Mountain Dew doserless solution... ;-)
>
>That said, a bit of work and it could look better. But so far the one I
>did is flawless in operation. No static and nice fluffy grinds. The OP
>of the thread on HB did later say that when he tried to do a bigger
>load, that static was a problem though.

AND the last photo posted of his setup shows the doser in its full
glory.
http://tinyurl.com/29p7nq



    
Date: 02 May 2007 03:58:56
From: Steve
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:39:25 GMT, Marshall
<mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>The modern reason for doserless? That's easy. People obsessing about a
>gram of the morning's leftover espresso polluting the afternoon's
>espresso.

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;- )


   
Date: 01 May 2007 20:20:08
From: Andy Schecter
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
D. Ross wrote:
> Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever....I have
> a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it will
> trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.

Oh come on, David, let's hear it. You can post it under an
alias...like...say..."edna." :)
--


-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/


    
Date: 03 May 2007 04:29:05
From: D. Ross
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
Andy Schecter <schecter@remove.me.rochester.rr.com > wrote:



     
Date: 02 May 2007 21:40:21
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

"D. Ross" <ross@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu > wrote in message
news:4639621f.2023329@localhost...
<snip/ >
> This lends support to the
> idea that one should buy a grinder on grind quality, with choice of
> dispensing technology a distant secondary consideration - an idea that
seems
> completely obvious to me, but over which I've had fights here and
elsewhere
> over the years.
>

yep I agree, the grind is way more important than the dispenser.





    
Date: 01 May 2007 21:53:43
From: edna
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

"Andy Schecter" <schecter@remove.me.rochester.rr.com > wrote in message
news:4637d92b$0$1348$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
> D. Ross wrote:
> > Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever....I have
> > a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it
will
> > trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>
> Oh come on, David, let's hear it. You can post it under an
> alias...like...say..."edna." :)
> --
edna here, how can I help?




    
Date: 01 May 2007 21:46:19
From: edna
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

"Andy Schecter" <schecter@remove.me.rochester.rr.com > wrote in message
news:4637d92b$0$1348$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
> D. Ross wrote:
> > Doserless espresso grinders have been around forever....I have
> > a theory as to why they became so popular on the coffee groups, but it
will
> > trigger an argument that I'm not really in the mood for.
>
> Oh come on, David, let's hear it. You can post it under an
> alias...like...say..."edna." :)
> --
you called? how can we be of service? :-)




  
Date: 01 May 2007 09:47:15
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
In article <1178019995.236980.267710@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com >,
Dave b <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

> On May 1, 4:11 am, r...@math.hawaii.NOSPAM.edu (D. Ross) wrote:
> > Lloyd Parsons <lloydpars...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> >


 
Date: 01 May 2007 08:11:33
From: D. Ross
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
Lloyd Parsons <lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote:



  
Date: 01 May 2007 07:20:43
From: Dan Bollinger
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
> It is an elegant solution to what many of us would consider a nonexistent
> problem:-)

Actually, it is an inelegant, but creative, solution to what the remainder of us
consider a problem. :)

A doserless grinder lets you change from one coffee to another without any fuss
of loss of beans (removing a hopper, even the Mazzer's with its valve at the
bottom, results is some beans left in the intake, not to mention the ground
coffee in the doser). And it lets' you blend on the fly.

The concept of a doser unit on a home grinder is silly. It is meant for high
volume coffee production.

Dan



   
Date: 01 May 2007 13:06:03
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

Howdy Dan!
You could say the idea of a Super Jolly on my counter top is 'silly',
because it too was meant for a high volume coffee production. To paraphrase
the ol' standard. "Silly is skin deep, but stupid goes all the way through."
--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages
www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - Guidelines for newbies.
www.tinyurl.com/37gwfr - I may have stuff available for sale here.

"Dan Bollinger" <danNObollinger@insightSPAMbb.com > wrote in message
news:M_CdnbW8ks8DrarbnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@insightbb.com...
>> It is an elegant solution to what many of us would consider a nonexistent
>> problem:-)
>
> Actually, it is an inelegant, but creative, solution to what the remainder
> of us consider a problem. :)
>
> A doserless grinder lets you change from one coffee to another without any
> fuss of loss of beans (removing a hopper, even the Mazzer's with its valve
> at the bottom, results is some beans left in the intake, not to mention
> the ground coffee in the doser). And it lets' you blend on the fly.
>
> The concept of a doser unit on a home grinder is silly. It is meant for
> high volume coffee production.
>
> Dan




    
Date: 02 May 2007 09:28:30
From: Dan Bollinger
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
> Howdy Dan!
> You could say the idea of a Super Jolly on my counter top is 'silly', because
> it too was meant for a high volume coffee production. To paraphrase the ol'
> standard. "Silly is skin deep, but stupid goes all the way through."

Who you callin' stupid? And note that YOU called your SJ silly, not me. I
called it creative. Dan



   
Date: 01 May 2007 08:33:02
From: Moka Java
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
Dan Bollinger wrote:
>> It is an elegant solution to what many of us would consider a nonexistent
>> problem:-)
>
> Actually, it is an inelegant, but creative, solution to what the
> remainder of us consider a problem. :)
>
> A doserless grinder lets you change from one coffee to another without
> any fuss of loss of beans (removing a hopper, even the Mazzer's with its
> valve at the bottom, results is some beans left in the intake, not to
> mention the ground coffee in the doser).

The mini tends to waste some coffee in the doser but after a few years
of using it I've learned how to minimize the waste. In retrospect, the
timer version probably isn't a bad choice.

And it lets' you blend on the fly.

How?

>
> The concept of a doser unit on a home grinder is silly. It is meant for
> high volume coffee production.

Better shops in Seattle and NYC grind per shot and twhacky twhack the
doser lever to reduce clumping.

R "twhacking and clumpless in NY" TF


 
Date: 30 Apr 2007 20:15:55
From: Dave b
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

<< il mio dio che =E8 solo ugly >>

you must be single.

[and the people at Mazzer cringe]

dave



  
Date: 30 Apr 2007 23:54:30
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
In article <1177989355.943010.246890@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com >,
Dave b <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

> << il mio dio che solo ugly >>
>
> you must be single.
>
> [and the people at Mazzer cringe]
>
> dave

It may not be pretty but it sure works good.


 
Date: 30 Apr 2007 18:08:38
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote in message
news:lloydparsons-0E2771.15240930042007@individual.net...
> I meant to post this some time ago. It is a simple, cheap (free), mod
> to an SJ (maybe others too), that makes it doserless. I've done it and
> it works superbly.
>
> Here's the link to Home-Barista forum thread (with pictures)
>
>
http://www.home-barista.com/forums/mazzer-super-jolly-2-liter-bottle-doserle
ss-modification-t3545.html#37859

Now that is an inexpensive doserless mod :-) thanks for the link




 
Date: 30 Apr 2007 13:50:21
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:24:09 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
<lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote:

>I meant to post this some time ago. It is a simple, cheap (free), mod
>to an SJ (maybe others too), that makes it doserless. I've done it and
>it works superbly.
>
>Here's the link to Home-Barista forum thread (with pictures)
>
>http://www.home-barista.com/forums/mazzer-super-jolly-2-liter-bottle-dose
>rless-modification-t3545.html#37859

REAL computer users use http://www.tinyurl.com for URLs that wrap
http://tinyurl.com/36elam


  
Date: 30 Apr 2007 16:19:36
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
In article <hglc33t4kig2tfnmksdal9g12kb3npp31g@4ax.com >,
"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:24:09 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
> <lloydparsons@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >I meant to post this some time ago. It is a simple, cheap (free), mod
> >to an SJ (maybe others too), that makes it doserless. I've done it and
> >it works superbly.
> >
> >Here's the link to Home-Barista forum thread (with pictures)
> >
> >http://www.home-barista.com/forums/mazzer-super-jolly-2-liter-bottle-dose
> >rless-modification-t3545.html#37859
>
> REAL computer users use http://www.tinyurl.com for URLs that wrap
> http://tinyurl.com/36elam

Hmm...

I don't do links often, but the ones I have done in the past wrapped
properly. I need to check a setting to see if something has changed.
Thanks


   
Date: 30 Apr 2007 17:24:43
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Doserless Super Jolly
>Hmm...
>
>I don't do links often, but the ones I have done in the past wrapped
>properly. I need to check a setting to see if something has changed.
>Thanks

Depends on the newsreader app whether the URL wraps. Always safer to
post an obfuscated short one on a line by itself than risk an infrared
flame.