coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 08 Jan 2007 13:48:39
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Yup, like the subject says- my Faema Family's steam pressure is no good.
I'm working on the premise that it isn't getting hot enough- there's plenty
of water flow through the steam pipe, so there's no blockage.
I'm looking at replacing the steam thermostat. There's a few parts sellers
on Ebay offering thermostats that fit both Gaggias and Familys, available at
different temperatures- 100, 107, 145 & 152 Celcius.
Which to buy?
Coffee brew temp is lower than my Gaggias- tastes milder, less rich in the
cup.
I'll probably replace both- but which to buy?

Recommendations please?

TIA






 
Date: 08 Jan 2007 10:47:07
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Howdy Natalie!
I feel uncomfortable asking this because it's so obvious; your machine IS
120 volt, right?
--
Robert (;*)) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/y5ga2z
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"Natalie Drest" <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote in message
news:45a1b048$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Yup, like the subject says- my Faema Family's steam pressure is no good.
> I'm working on the premise that it isn't getting hot enough- there's
> plenty of water flow through the steam pipe, so there's no blockage.
> I'm looking at replacing the steam thermostat. There's a few parts sellers
> on Ebay offering thermostats that fit both Gaggias and Familys, available
> at different temperatures- 100, 107, 145 & 152 Celcius.
> Which to buy?
> Coffee brew temp is lower than my Gaggias- tastes milder, less rich in the
> cup.
> I'll probably replace both- but which to buy?
>
> Recommendations please?
>
> TIA
>




  
Date: 09 Jan 2007 20:28:22
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good

"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:Lipoh.7769$pQ3.3156@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Howdy Natalie!
> I feel uncomfortable asking this because it's so obvious; your machine IS
> 120 volt, right?
> --
> Robert (;*)) Harmon

No such thing as a dumb question, Robert.
We're on 240V. down here in Melbourne, Australia.
And it's a 240V. machine, I hasten to add.
Actually, that's an assumption. It has a 240V. plug on it, so I assume it
was an Australian delivery machine. Everything else works on it OK. She
pumps OK, the brew temp is good; just not quite as hot as the gaggia- which
may or may not be a good thing; I'm still undecided. It's just the steaming
is not up to scratch. IT *can* steam, just not that well- so it IS getting
above 100C, and above the brew temp. Thermostats do go bad, yes?




   
Date: 09 Jan 2007 20:53:37
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Howdy Natalie!

As a former teacher I take exception to you statement - 'No such thing as a
dumb question'. Stand in front of 40 -60 self-absorbed college students long
enough & you'll know I'm speaking the truth.

I don't know how large the boiler is in a Family? Sometimes it happens that
a boiler just doesn't have the capacity to hold good steam pressure. It
could also be the wand has too large an opening or too many of them to
properly steam milk. I had an Oscar with a 3-hole tip & got much better
results after plugging one of the holes.

Just out of curiosity; do you have the old style Family with the rotating
knob steam control or the sliding switch type?

It could be that the tstat in your machine is bad or it could be the wrong
one. Given how cheap they are, if you're in doubt buy another one & install
it. Or here's a thought - I have a stand alone, dedicated milk steamer. I
made the original from a counter top steam pot & I just bought a purpose
built one made by Salton. They have good capacity & work very well.

Good luck,
Robert

"Natalie Drest" <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote in message
news:45a35f7a$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>
> "Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:Lipoh.7769$pQ3.3156@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>> Howdy Natalie!
>> I feel uncomfortable asking this because it's so obvious; your machine IS
>> 120 volt, right?
>> --
>> Robert (;*)) Harmon
>
> No such thing as a dumb question, Robert.
> We're on 240V. down here in Melbourne, Australia.
> And it's a 240V. machine, I hasten to add.
> Actually, that's an assumption. It has a 240V. plug on it, so I assume it
> was an Australian delivery machine. Everything else works on it OK. She
> pumps OK, the brew temp is good; just not quite as hot as the gaggia-
> which may or may not be a good thing; I'm still undecided. It's just the
> steaming is not up to scratch. IT *can* steam, just not that well- so it
> IS getting above 100C, and above the brew temp. Thermostats do go bad,
> yes?
>




    
Date: 09 Jan 2007 23:37:33
From: hfw
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Can you tell me about your standalone steamers? When you say "counter
top steam pot" are you referring to the Krups steam "espresso" makers
and others like it? If so, are there differences between them or models
that you recommend for milk steaming?

How does the Salton work, and what's the model name?

I'm getting lovely microfoam out of 6oz of milk from a Gaggia, but it
really doesn't work well when I want to steam enough even for two.

--Heidi


Robert Harmon wrote:
> Or here's a thought - I have a stand alone, dedicated milk steamer. I
> made the original from a counter top steam pot & I just bought a purpose
> built one made by Salton. They have good capacity & work very well.
>
> Good luck,
> Robert
>
>


     
Date: 10 Jan 2007 05:31:24
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
This is identical to what I have: http://tinyurl.com/yzu2hg. It's basically
a counter top steam pot without the brew group. I've converted steam pots
into dedicated steamers - it's easy if the brew group is not cast with the
boiler. I put some pics on ABC if you'd care to look at the latest I'm doing
for a friend, based on a Swift machine. I'll remove the two protuberances
from the boiler, drill through the top & mount a swivel steam wand through
the lid. I usually mount these in a 4" PVC pipe cut 8" long. It's all very
simple & it works well. I bought the ready made one just to see if mine
worked as well as a factory version. Mine actually is better because I use a
threaded needle valve instead of the pressure release valve in the Crazy.

Robert

"hfw" <nospam@nospam.com > wrote in message
news:50j8s4F1glv88U1@mid.individual.net...
> Can you tell me about your standalone steamers? When you say "counter top
> steam pot" are you referring to the Krups steam "espresso" makers and
> others like it? If so, are there differences between them or models that
> you recommend for milk steaming?
>
> How does the Salton work, and what's the model name?
>
> I'm getting lovely microfoam out of 6oz of milk from a Gaggia, but it
> really doesn't work well when I want to steam enough even for two.
>
> --Heidi
>
>
> Robert Harmon wrote:
>> Or here's a thought - I have a stand alone, dedicated milk steamer. I
>> made the original from a counter top steam pot & I just bought a purpose
>> built one made by Salton. They have good capacity & work very well.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Robert
>>



 
Date: 08 Jan 2007 00:01:22
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:48:39 +1100, "Natalie Drest"
<fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote:

>There's a few parts sellers
>on Ebay offering thermostats that fit both Gaggias and Familys, available at
>different temperatures- 100, 107, 145 & 152 Celcius.
>Which to buy?
>Coffee brew temp is lower than my Gaggias- tastes milder, less rich in the
>cup.
>I'll probably replace both- but which to buy?

The 100 and 107 are coffee Tstats, which one depends on where it's
located on the boiler in relation to the water coming and the water
going to the group. The steam stat is typically 130 or 135, and the
145 and 152 stats are safeties. If a 145 doesn't give you steam
galore, you have a problem elsewhere.


  
Date: 08 Jan 2007 20:42:05
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Thanks, Jim.
I've ordered a 107 and a 145.
The coffee Tstat is about 2/3 down the side of the boiler.
I'll report back, FWIW.

"jim schulman" <jim_schulman@ameritech.net > wrote in message
news:ndn3q2l8r97jq10g8m9e0roe4gu1tiv1as@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:48:39 +1100, "Natalie Drest"
> <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net> wrote:
>
>>There's a few parts sellers
>>on Ebay offering thermostats that fit both Gaggias and Familys, available
>>at
>>different temperatures- 100, 107, 145 & 152 Celcius.
>>Which to buy?
>>Coffee brew temp is lower than my Gaggias- tastes milder, less rich in the
>>cup.
>>I'll probably replace both- but which to buy?
>
> The 100 and 107 are coffee Tstats, which one depends on where it's
> located on the boiler in relation to the water coming and the water
> going to the group. The steam stat is typically 130 or 135, and the
> 145 and 152 stats are safeties. If a 145 doesn't give you steam
> galore, you have a problem elsewhere.




   
Date: 10 Jan 2007 23:42:52
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
Well, bad news I'm afraid.
The 145 C thermostat is definitely hotter, there's even more initial water &
pressure, but it subsides to the same weak stream 'o' steam.
What do I check next?

"Natalie Drest" <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote in message
news:45a2112d$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au...
> Thanks, Jim.
> I've ordered a 107 and a 145.
> The coffee Tstat is about 2/3 down the side of the boiler.
> I'll report back, FWIW.
>
> "jim schulman" <jim_schulman@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> news:ndn3q2l8r97jq10g8m9e0roe4gu1tiv1as@4ax.com...
>> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 13:48:39 +1100, "Natalie Drest"
>> <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net> wrote:
>>
>>>There's a few parts sellers
>>>on Ebay offering thermostats that fit both Gaggias and Familys, available
>>>at
>>>different temperatures- 100, 107, 145 & 152 Celcius.
>>>Which to buy?
>>>Coffee brew temp is lower than my Gaggias- tastes milder, less rich in
>>>the
>>>cup.
>>>I'll probably replace both- but which to buy?
>>
>> The 100 and 107 are coffee Tstats, which one depends on where it's
>> located on the boiler in relation to the water coming and the water
>> going to the group. The steam stat is typically 130 or 135, and the
>> 145 and 152 stats are safeties. If a 145 doesn't give you steam
>> galore, you have a problem elsewhere.
>
>




    
Date: 10 Jan 2007 11:32:21
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: Faema Family- steam pressure no good
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:42:52 +1100, "Natalie Drest"
<fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote:

>Well, bad news I'm afraid.
>The 145 C thermostat is definitely hotter, there's even more initial water &
>pressure, but it subsides to the same weak stream 'o' steam.
>What do I check next?

First a reality check: this is a home machine, 50 to 70 seconds to
heat 8 ounces of milk to 155F when it's in tip-top shape. A really hot
steam stat will get you a fast 4 ounces for a cappa, but after that,
the small 6 to 12 ounce boilers run out of stored pressure, and you're
relying on the heating element alone.

If the nozzle pressure is horrible, it could be that the hole has
enlarged, and you need a new nozzle or steam arm. The older machine
with the steam knob and brass boiler is no longer made. The new one,
with the alu boiler and steam slide, I'm told, is made by Bialletti,
and there may be parts for it.