coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 25 Feb 2007 09:16:07
From: sportflyer
Subject: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
I own a Caezza and my sister has a Classic . I noticed that the
Classic heats up the group head and the PF considerably faster than
the Carezza.Why is this so when the machines are similar except for
the 3 way valve and cup warmer. Can the cup warmer function
contribute to this ? Tks





 
Date: 25 Feb 2007 15:35:12
From: Jim
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
sportflyer wrote:

> I own a Caezza and my sister has a Classic . I noticed that the
> Classic heats up the group head and the PF considerably faster than
> the Carezza.Why is this so when the machines are similar except for
> the 3 way valve and cup warmer. Can the cup warmer function
> contribute to this ? Tks
>

What is the wattage of both units? As I understand it, the Gaggia heats
up rather quickly and has some mass that retains the heat. I learned
that when I carried my unit in, after trying it out at the previous
owner's house. It was still HOT after a good 20 minute drive.

I seem to hear a couple of clicks in the heating process, so I'll assume
that there are at least a couple of heating elements with separate
thermostats in the Gaggia Classic.


 
Date: 25 Feb 2007 11:21:50
From: sportflyer
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
On Feb 25, 9:47 am, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> There is no 'cup warmer'. Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably
> not getting as much juice as your sister is.
> --
> Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmonhttp://tinyurl.com/pou2yhttp://tinyurl.com/psfobhttp://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
>
> --
> Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmonhttp://tinyurl.com/pou2yhttp://tinyurl.com/psfobhttp://tinyurl.com/fkd6r"sportflyer" <mode1fl...@netzero.net> wrote in message
>
> news:1172423767.545501.101540@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
> >I own a Caezza and my sister has a Classic . I noticed that the
> > Classic heats up the group head and the PF considerably faster than
> > the Carezza.Why is this so when the machines are similar except for
> > the 3 way valve and cup warmer. Can the cup warmer function
> > contribute to this ? Tks- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I will check . Cant do this now as I am out of town for the next few
weeks Tks



 
Date: 25 Feb 2007 17:47:31
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
There is no 'cup warmer'. Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably
not getting as much juice as your sister is.
--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
"sportflyer" <mode1flyer@netzero.net > wrote in message
news:1172423767.545501.101540@k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I own a Caezza and my sister has a Classic . I noticed that the
> Classic heats up the group head and the PF considerably faster than
> the Carezza.Why is this so when the machines are similar except for
> the 3 way valve and cup warmer. Can the cup warmer function
> contribute to this ? Tks
>




  
Date: 25 Feb 2007 15:50:10
From: Jim
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
Robert Harmon wrote:

> There is no 'cup warmer'.

That's technically correct, but it is designed so that the metal plate
above the head does get warm, and you are supposed to put your cups
there (what's that fancy term for the small demi-tasse?). It will start
warming a cup after about ten minutes. The Gaggia instructions say to
preheat the unit for six (?) minutes before use.

> Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably
> not getting as much juice as your sister is.

If she has 10% more voltage, she's got 10% more wattage and heating
power. Line voltage inside of a house will also drop with the espresso
maker alone, depending on wiring conditions and whatever else is on the
circuit. You could check voltage at the same outlet at both houses
while each machine is working. For kicks, start with the machine off
and notice the drop when it turns on. I just got 122.6 VAC with the
Gaggia Classic off, 119.9 when turned on.


   
Date: 25 Feb 2007 23:01:50
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
In <12u485fajeedod9@corp.supernews.com >, on Sun, 25 Feb 2007 15:50:10
-0800, Jim wrote:

> ... the metal plate
> above the head does get warm, and you are supposed to put your cups
> there (what's that fancy term for the small demi-tasse?). It will start
> warming a cup after about ten minutes. The Gaggia instructions say to
> preheat the unit for six (?) minutes before use.

I don't have the manual handy, but last I checked,
it took my Classic 14 minutes for the portafilter/
grouphead interface to come up to temperature. I don't
recall what the voltage was at that house though;
certainly higher than here.

>> Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably
>> not getting as much juice as your sister is.
>
> If she has 10% more voltage, she's got 10% more wattage and heating
> power.

Actually, 10% more voltage means 21% more power.
Power varies as the square of the voltage.

> Line voltage inside of a house will also drop with the espresso
> maker alone, depending on wiring conditions and whatever else is on the
> circuit. You could check voltage at the same outlet at both houses
> while each machine is working. For kicks, start with the machine off
> and notice the drop when it turns on. I just got 122.6 VAC with the
> Gaggia Classic off, 119.9 when turned on.

Old house here; 119.6 no-load drops to 116.1 when I
switch the Classic on.


    
Date: 26 Feb 2007 10:21:42
From: Jim
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza

>
>>>Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably
>>>not getting as much juice as your sister is.
>>
>>If she has 10% more voltage, she's got 10% more wattage and heating
>>power.
>
>
> Actually, 10% more voltage means 21% more power.
> Power varies as the square of the voltage.

My mistake, and I do know better. I was just calculating output power
of a tube amp over the weekend. Voltage squared divided by resistance.



     
Date: 16 Mar 2007 11:46:51
From: Sportflyer
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic vs Carezza
Just back from my sisters home in Canada .
I checked her mains voltage which came out at 115v open circuit with
Classic off but rises to $118 with the Gaggia Classic turned on !! This
must be due to waveform distortion . Voltage was measured with a mini analog
multimeter ( definitely not true rms meter) .It was interesting to note that
this also happened when a table top hot water heater was turned on but not
when a bread toaster was turned on, all connected to same outlet .

At my home the voltage is 115V open and drops to 113V when Carezz a is
switched on. Also measured with non true RMS digital VM .

I dont think this is too conclusive.


"Jim" <askme@beforeyousend.com > wrote in message
news:12u699karddsn6b@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>
>>>>Check the voltage at the outlet; you're probably not getting as much
>>>>juice as your sister is.
>>>
>>>If she has 10% more voltage, she's got 10% more wattage and heating
>>>power.
>>
>>
>> Actually, 10% more voltage means 21% more power.
>> Power varies as the square of the voltage.
>
> My mistake, and I do know better. I was just calculating output power of
> a tube amp over the weekend. Voltage squared divided by resistance.
>