coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 29 Aug 2007 15:30:36
From: SJM
Subject: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
I have a Gaggia Dandy which looks to be almost identical to the
Espresso, so I think if you know the answer to this regarding an
Espresso, it will answer my question about the Dandy.

Everything looks really good inside this machine, BUT the light does
not come on to indicate when brew OR steam temp has been achieved.

Since it doesn't go on for either, I am assuming the flaw is in the
switch and not in the thermostats. (Seem reasonable?)

Questions are: (Please don't laugh): 1. are there "bulbs" inside
those switches? 2.Are they replaceable? Or will I need a whole new
switch mechanism? 3. Is there a way to diagnose the problem using a
digital multimeter?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

SJM





 
Date: 31 Aug 2007 06:25:21
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
On Aug 30, 6:55 pm, SJM <cajamadimail-goo...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Aug 30, 2:17 pm, Flasherly <gjerr...@ij.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 30, 3:27 pm, SJM <cajamadimail-goo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Aug 30, 12:11 pm, "Robert Harmon" <Texas_Cof...@earthlink.net>
> > > wrote:
>
> > > > Actually, it's the same as the old Coffee with the steam valve knob in
> > > > front.
>
> > > > --
> > > > Robert Harmon
> > > > --http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj-Mycoffeepages.
>
> > > >http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87-My'GuidelinesFor Newbies' page.
>
> > > Almost but not quite. The old Coffee has the same switch
> > > configuration but there isn't a light in the bottom/brew switch. I
> > > need one just like that but WITH a light.
>
> > > OR I need to know how to wire it so that the power light somehow
> > > reflects the temperature status....Hmmmm....
>
> > > SJM
>
> >http://www.gaggiaparts.com/GaggiaEspresso.html#Wiring%20diagram
>
> > That's yours. Trace it out internally, or have a look at the other
> > models for ideas. Personally, I wouldn't worry about another steam
> > temperature set thermostat to trip a wire into a added light on
> > control switch. Though I have one, it's as easy to crack the steam
> > release knob at the top of the boiler to verify when ready (some go
> > into steaming early, a tip/trick, as by the time the light's on, and
> > certainly anything much beyond, steam tends to be on the "dry" side -
> > not nearly as robust).
>
> In fact, the Espresso switch is quite different from the Dandy switch,
> although I had assumed otherwise. And the only problem with your
> suggestion, is that the light on the switch that is NOT working is (I
> believe) the indicator light for when either brew temp or steam temp
> is achieved. You are right that it would be insignificant if it only
> indicated steam temp, but that isn't the case. My current thought is
> either to add a PID to the machine OR to find a switch from an old
> (OLD) Coffee or a Classic or an old Baby that has a lighted bottom/
> third switch.
>
> Thanks for your help
> SJM

Another diagram -
http://www.sreweb.com/diagrams/dandygaggia.htm

Either that or come off the old existing wires to another bulb.
Possibilities for a custom mount should be fair if you've already
considered a PID and modifying it out of original design. A PID would
need account temperature vacillations associated with a smaller
boiler. Lacking the stability of larger boilers, size and water
routing have a direct effect across a wider temperature range. Not
sure they're intended to work in a low reserve capacity.



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 15:55:13
From: SJM
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
On Aug 30, 2:17 pm, Flasherly <gjerr...@ij.net > wrote:
> On Aug 30, 3:27 pm, SJM <cajamadimail-goo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 30, 12:11 pm, "Robert Harmon" <Texas_Cof...@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Actually, it's the same as the old Coffee with the steam valve knob in
> > > front.
>
> > > --
> > > Robert Harmon
> > > --http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj-Mycoffee pages.
>
> > >http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87-My'Guidelines For Newbies' page.
>
> > Almost but not quite. The old Coffee has the same switch
> > configuration but there isn't a light in the bottom/brew switch. I
> > need one just like that but WITH a light.
>
> > OR I need to know how to wire it so that the power light somehow
> > reflects the temperature status....Hmmmm....
>
> > SJM
>
> http://www.gaggiaparts.com/GaggiaEspresso.html#Wiring%20diagram
>
> That's yours. Trace it out internally, or have a look at the other
> models for ideas. Personally, I wouldn't worry about another steam
> temperature set thermostat to trip a wire into a added light on
> control switch. Though I have one, it's as easy to crack the steam
> release knob at the top of the boiler to verify when ready (some go
> into steaming early, a tip/trick, as by the time the light's on, and
> certainly anything much beyond, steam tends to be on the "dry" side -
> not nearly as robust).

In fact, the Espresso switch is quite different from the Dandy switch,
although I had assumed otherwise. And the only problem with your
suggestion, is that the light on the switch that is NOT working is (I
believe) the indicator light for when either brew temp or steam temp
is achieved. You are right that it would be insignificant if it only
indicated steam temp, but that isn't the case. My current thought is
either to add a PID to the machine OR to find a switch from an old
(OLD) Coffee or a Classic or an old Baby that has a lighted bottom/
third switch.

Thanks for your help
SJM



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 14:17:47
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
On Aug 30, 3:27 pm, SJM <cajamadimail-goo...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> On Aug 30, 12:11 pm, "Robert Harmon" <Texas_Cof...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Actually, it's the same as the old Coffee with the steam valve knob in
> > front.
>
> > --
> > Robert Harmon
> > --http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj-My coffee pages.
>
> >http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87-My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.
>
> Almost but not quite. The old Coffee has the same switch
> configuration but there isn't a light in the bottom/brew switch. I
> need one just like that but WITH a light.
>
> OR I need to know how to wire it so that the power light somehow
> reflects the temperature status....Hmmmm....
>
> SJM

http://www.gaggiaparts.com/GaggiaEspresso.html#Wiring%20diagram

That's yours. Trace it out internally, or have a look at the other
models for ideas. Personally, I wouldn't worry about another steam
temperature set thermostat to trip a wire into a added light on
control switch. Though I have one, it's as easy to crack the steam
release knob at the top of the boiler to verify when ready (some go
into steaming early, a tip/trick, as by the time the light's on, and
certainly anything much beyond, steam tends to be on the "dry" side -
not nearly as robust).



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 12:27:29
From: SJM
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
On Aug 30, 12:11 pm, "Robert Harmon" <Texas_Cof...@earthlink.net >
wrote:
> Actually, it's the same as the old Coffee with the steam valve knob in
> front.
>
> --
> Robert Harmon
> --http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj- My coffee pages.
>
> http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87- My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.


Almost but not quite. The old Coffee has the same switch
configuration but there isn't a light in the bottom/brew switch. I
need one just like that but WITH a light.

OR I need to know how to wire it so that the power light somehow
reflects the temperature status....Hmmmm....

SJM



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 10:39:14
From: SJM
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question

> >> Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
> >> Thanks for your help.
> >> SJM
>
On checking more closely, it's not for certain that the one Edward has
is going to work. The one for the Dandy is a Triple Switch about 65
mm tall. The top switch is On-Off and has a light. The middle switch
is Steam, is twice as tall as the top and bottom switches, and has no
light. The bottom switch (the one which isn't lighting for me) is
Brew and has (?) a light.

If you know any more about this switch or happen to have one floating
around in your extra parts pile, let me know.
Thanks.

SJM




  
Date: 30 Aug 2007 18:56:52
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
SJM <cajamadimail-google@yahoo.com > wrote in news:1188495554.700290.117650
@q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

>
>> >> Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
>> >> Thanks for your help.
>> >> SJM
>>
> On checking more closely, it's not for certain that the one Edward has
> is going to work. The one for the Dandy is a Triple Switch about 65
> mm tall. The top switch is On-Off and has a light. The middle switch
> is Steam, is twice as tall as the top and bottom switches, and has no
> light. The bottom switch (the one which isn't lighting for me) is
> Brew and has (?) a light.
>
> If you know any more about this switch or happen to have one floating
> around in your extra parts pile, let me know.
> Thanks.
>
> SJM
>
>
>

I believe the Dandy uses the same switch used by Classic & Coffee models.

Robert Harmon
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.
http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.
http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I have things for sale here.

Remove "ZED" from address if replying by email.


   
Date: 30 Aug 2007 14:11:26
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
Actually, it's the same as the old Coffee with the steam valve knob in
front.

--
Robert Harmon
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I have things for sale here.
"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:Xns999C8DF09B510rhharmonZhotmailcom@216.168.3.70...
> SJM <cajamadimail-google@yahoo.com> wrote in news:1188495554.700290.117650
> @q3g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
>>
>>> >> Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
>>> >> Thanks for your help.
>>> >> SJM
>>>
>> On checking more closely, it's not for certain that the one Edward has
>> is going to work. The one for the Dandy is a Triple Switch about 65
>> mm tall. The top switch is On-Off and has a light. The middle switch
>> is Steam, is twice as tall as the top and bottom switches, and has no
>> light. The bottom switch (the one which isn't lighting for me) is
>> Brew and has (?) a light.
>>
>> If you know any more about this switch or happen to have one floating
>> around in your extra parts pile, let me know.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> SJM
>>
>>
>>
>
> I believe the Dandy uses the same switch used by Classic & Coffee models.
>
> Robert Harmon
> --
> http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.
> http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.
> http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I have things for sale here.
>
> Remove "ZED" from address if replying by email.




 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 10:29:30
From:
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
> Thanks for your help.
> SJM

On second thought, I'm not sure the switch is the same....still
checking on it. My Dandy switch is a triple; about 65 mm tall. Top
switch is on-off and has a light. Middle switch is twice as large,
controls steam, and has no light. Bottom switch controls brew and has
(should have) a light.

If you've seen one floating around your spares box, or can direct me
to one, just lemme know.

SJM



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 07:46:54
From: SJM
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question
On Aug 29, 6:20 pm, lockjaw <davebo...@gmail.com > wrote:
>
> Or will I need a whole new
>
> > switch mechanism?
>
> YES

Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
Thanks for your help.
SJM



  
Date: 30 Aug 2007 11:09:25
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question

"SJM" <cajamadimail-google@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:1188485214.421736.127300@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> On Aug 29, 6:20 pm, lockjaw <davebo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Or will I need a whole new
>>
>> > switch mechanism?
>>
>> YES
>
> Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
> Thanks for your help.
> SJM
>

On older machines, yes I'd say a tiny bulb for the indicator light., on
newer machines I'd think an LED. AFSIK these should be in parallel with the
switch so when or if they blow/burn out, the switches will still work.
Craig.



   
Date: 30 Aug 2007 11:17:30
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:5jo4v6FhrjhU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "SJM" <cajamadimail-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1188485214.421736.127300@q5g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
>> On Aug 29, 6:20 pm, lockjaw <davebo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Or will I need a whole new
>>>
>>> > switch mechanism?
>>>
>>> YES
>>
>> Okay, then I've ordered one from Parts Guru.
>> Thanks for your help.
>> SJM
>>
>
> On older machines, yes I'd say a tiny bulb for the indicator light., on
> newer machines I'd think an LED. AFSIK these should be in parallel with
> the switch so when or if they blow/burn out, the switches will still work.
> Craig.

That's AFAIK..
Craig.



 
Date: 30 Aug 2007 01:20:11
From: lockjaw
Subject: Re: Gaggia Dandy or Gaggia Espresso switch light question

>
> Questions are: (Please don't laugh): 1. are there "bulbs" inside
> those switches?

YES

2.Are they replaceable?

NO.
Or will I need a whole new
> switch mechanism?

YES

3. Is there a way to diagnose the problem using a
> digital multimeter?

check the connections again. it does heat up? correct?

then change the switch assy.

Dave


www.hitechespresso.com


>
> Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> SJM