coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 03 Oct 2006 23:11:10
From: Mick
Subject: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi,

I have read a lot of places that the Evolution is not capable of
producing the right pressure for the extraction. I now start to wander
this also, but on the other side I read also that it is not true.

I have gotten some not so bitter shots, but none with the crema I
expected. When I got my grinder (Rocky) I was told to use a certain
setting for espresso, or to start from it. It turned out that it put my
Evolution to its knees. No matter I changed setting.

Now I have tried to tamp ontop of a kichen weight that takes only
5kg/11lbs and saw that I tamp at 1-2kg/2.2-4.4lbs. If I tamp harder I
get to long a shot and that even with preground coffee.
Due to this I wonder if there is any way I can test the pressure of my
Evolution.

I also read last night that one was using 17g coffee to a double shot.
What should be appropriate for the Evolution?
I have tried to adhere to the golden rule, and 14g is what I can be
sure of every time. I am never 100% on tamp nor grind. Well tamp I am
sure is not 13.6kg/30lbs.

I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
the machine can make).

I now purchased an iRoast-2 to get fresh coffee, and I am looking
forward to trying it.
So far the best coffee I get is my French press.

Regards,
Michael





 
Date: 06 Oct 2006 10:20:52
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
You are right I do mean the basket. ;-)

I roasted some beans of Indian Monsooned Malaber this morning, and has
now 12 hours later tried them. It may be to soon and I find the coffee
very powerfull. Maybe I didn't get the right roast also as it is my
first try. Also I tried to use 17g coffee and not 14. I find I probably
should stick to 14g.

Looking at my extraction it went like this:
For the first 5 seconds nothing happened as the coffee was filling with
water. The next 5-6 seconds gave mostly crema and very little coffee
and the last 12 seconds gave mostly coffee with little crema.
I am unsure if this is a standard extraction or a poor extraction.
Is the extraction supposed to produce crema throught the full
extraction?

Thanks.

NB: I forgot to run one cup of water through the machine and let it
heat again, but then the water inside was not older than 12 hours.

Mud Pup wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi Mud pup,
> >
> > Looking at the portafilter, it is not tha same form all the way to the
> > bottom.
>
> I think you mean basket.
>
> > There is an angle at the end, and thinking a little that there
> > should be equal coffee at same pressure int the whole puck. To me it
> > then does make sense that you put a little more coffee on the sides of
> > the portafilter to equal the amount of coffee vs. pressure. If a
> > portafilter that is straight all way through, a flat may be a better
> > solution.
>
> I would definately agree with that, but I could also believe that
> water can go through a coffee-metal wall junction better than
> a coffee-coffee junction. The coffee grounds should fit together better,
> and are coated with oil, sealing the barrier.
>
> > Maybe I should find that thread on rounded portafilter before
> > purchasing.
>
> I wasn't referring to a specific thread, only that I would guess
> people have discussed this before, not unlike we are. :)
>
> But do search, I'm sure you'll find better answers than mine.
> The word "convex" (or "concave") might produce fewer false positives
> than "round".
>
> > Also I have noticed a little water ontop of my puck after I have
> > extracted the espresso. As you mention, my puck is not even on the
> > surface after brewing. I take it that if i use more coffee I have a
> > better chance of the pressure not changing my puck during extraction?
>
> Actually what I meant was that, if you put too much, and
> hit the screw in the shower head, it might deform the puck
> after you had nicely tamped and smoothed it, and that water
> might go through these cracks quickly, creating a most
> unoptimal espresso. Proper tamping is what's supposed to
> prevent the water from deforming it.
>
> If you don't experience any resistance installing the portafilter,
> but you do see the impression of the screw in the puck, don't
> worry. The puck does expand a little when soaked.
>
> > I do find your answers very interresting and they do raise new
> > thoughts.
>
> As I hope that they are, in fact, correct. ;)



  
Date: 06 Oct 2006 18:43:21
From: Mud Pup
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Mick wrote:
>
> Looking at my extraction it went like this:
> For the first 5 seconds nothing happened as the coffee was filling with
> water. The next 5-6 seconds gave mostly crema and very little coffee
> and the last 12 seconds gave mostly coffee with little crema.
> I am unsure if this is a standard extraction or a poor extraction.
> Is the extraction supposed to produce crema throught the full
> extraction?

Randy's site has a little video of a good extraction.


 
Date: 05 Oct 2006 22:48:57
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi Mud pup,

Looking at the portafilter, it is not tha same form all the way to the
bottom. There is an angle at the end, and thinking a little that there
should be equal coffee at same pressure int the whole puck. To me it
then does make sense that you put a little more coffee on the sides of
the portafilter to equal the amount of coffee vs. pressure. If a
portafilter that is straight all way through, a flat may be a better
solution.
Maybe I should find that thread on rounded portafilter before
purchasing.

Also I have noticed a little water ontop of my puck after I have
extracted the espresso. As you mention, my puck is not even on the
surface after brewing. I take it that if i use more coffee I have a
better chance of the pressure not changing my puck during extraction?

I do find your answers very interresting and they do raise new
thoughts.
Thanks.

Mud Pup wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > Hi Mud pup,
> >
> > Thank for the informatin.
> > I read somewhere that fresh roasted beans are god for up to 10 - 14
> > days, which is why I probably expected to get good crema from my bean
> > purchases.
> > I guess the ones I tried was older than three days!
>
> Beans may be perfectly drinkable after 14 days, but it's my
> understanding that crema (priily) comes from the CO2 in
> the beans being released, and it evaporates over time.
>
> > I suppose my next purchase should be a 58mm tamper. I have been
> > circling the thought that the water runs arround the coffee. What is
> > the benefit of a rounded tamper?
> > I thought flat was key.
>
> I suspect the only thing everyone can agree on is that smooth
> is key, and that a few long threads have been about flat versus
> round. All I know is that my new round is giving me more
> consistent shots than a previous flat (which was not the free
> one.) I could believe that it makes it harder for the water to
> go around the puck, perhaps "equalizing" the easy wall route
> versus through the puck.
>
> > How can one tell how close to the shower scrren you are?
>
> The closer it is, the more resistance I get in putting on
> the portafilter. I can also see the impression of the screw
> in the puck. I don't think you want to disturb the puck
> once tamped.
>
> > You are right that maybe the first beans purchased with the Rocky was
> > more oily. That was the one choking the machine.
>
> If so, just back off the grind.



  
Date: 06 Oct 2006 15:54:26
From: Mud Pup
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Mick wrote:
> Hi Mud pup,
>
> Looking at the portafilter, it is not tha same form all the way to the
> bottom.

I think you mean basket.

> There is an angle at the end, and thinking a little that there
> should be equal coffee at same pressure int the whole puck. To me it
> then does make sense that you put a little more coffee on the sides of
> the portafilter to equal the amount of coffee vs. pressure. If a
> portafilter that is straight all way through, a flat may be a better
> solution.

I would definately agree with that, but I could also believe that
water can go through a coffee-metal wall junction better than
a coffee-coffee junction. The coffee grounds should fit together better,
and are coated with oil, sealing the barrier.

> Maybe I should find that thread on rounded portafilter before
> purchasing.

I wasn't referring to a specific thread, only that I would guess
people have discussed this before, not unlike we are. :)

But do search, I'm sure you'll find better answers than mine.
The word "convex" (or "concave") might produce fewer false positives
than "round".

> Also I have noticed a little water ontop of my puck after I have
> extracted the espresso. As you mention, my puck is not even on the
> surface after brewing. I take it that if i use more coffee I have a
> better chance of the pressure not changing my puck during extraction?

Actually what I meant was that, if you put too much, and
hit the screw in the shower head, it might deform the puck
after you had nicely tamped and smoothed it, and that water
might go through these cracks quickly, creating a most
unoptimal espresso. Proper tamping is what's supposed to
prevent the water from deforming it.

If you don't experience any resistance installing the portafilter,
but you do see the impression of the screw in the puck, don't
worry. The puck does expand a little when soaked.

> I do find your answers very interresting and they do raise new
> thoughts.

As I hope that they are, in fact, correct. ;)


 
Date: 05 Oct 2006 10:33:29
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi Mud pup,

Thank for the informatin.
I read somewhere that fresh roasted beans are god for up to 10 - 14
days, which is why I probably expected to get good crema from my bean
purchases.
I guess the ones I tried was older than three days!

I am not after the crema only, but the fact that it symbolises a good
espresso, is more what I am after. Only once I got an satisfying crema,
but not really a wow kind of crema.

I suppose my next purchase should be a 58mm tamper. I have been
circling the thought that the water runs arround the coffee. What is
the benefit of a rounded tamper?
I thought flat was key.

How can one tell how close to the shower scrren you are?

You are right that maybe the first beans purchased with the Rocky was
more oily. That was the one choking the machine.

Br, Mick

Mud Pup wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> >
> > I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> > the machine can make).
>
> Hi Mick,
>
> I doubt there's anything wrong with your machine, and the Evolution
> should be capable of generating 9 bar. It's not impossible that
> the pressure relief valve is letting go too early, but it's just
> far more likely a tamp/grind/coffee issue. Your machine is too new
> to need a deep cleaning (although it doesn't hurt the taste to
> rinse the shower screen often.) Realize that the window
> between fast and bitter, and choking isn't that big. It's not
> elusive, it's just easier to miss it than hit it.
>
> It sounds like you know how to dial in to the golden rule.
> I'm afraid I can't tell you how many grams to use. I just
> fill it up until it barely touches the shower screen. I suspect
> that it's more important to be consistent, than to use any
> one amount. Find what works and stick with it.
>
> The provided tamper is a joke. I bought one from espressopartsource
> that is heavy, perfectly sized and rounded on the bottom. It works
> much better, possibly because it's preventing water from running
> around the sides. (Forgot to mention I have a Gaggia Espresso, so
> we're in the same boat.) I've never tried one, but you could also
> get a clicking tamper and eliminate that variable.
>
> If it's just crema that you're after, realize that you'll
> have to use freshly roasted coffee, maybe a day to 3 old.
>
> I think you'll like your roaster. Whole Foods' never seems to have
> any crema despite buying the new stuff, and a local roaster's coffee
> isn't so bad, but the stuff that comes out of our cheap popcorn popper
> is just great.
>
> One last observation: It seems that beans roasted to the point of
> being oily seem to choke the machine more easily. You can decide
> this for yourself, but just wanted to throw it out in case its
> your problem.



  
Date: 05 Oct 2006 20:07:20
From: Mud Pup
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Mick wrote:
> Hi Mud pup,
>
> Thank for the informatin.
> I read somewhere that fresh roasted beans are god for up to 10 - 14
> days, which is why I probably expected to get good crema from my bean
> purchases.
> I guess the ones I tried was older than three days!

Beans may be perfectly drinkable after 14 days, but it's my
understanding that crema (priily) comes from the CO2 in
the beans being released, and it evaporates over time.

> I suppose my next purchase should be a 58mm tamper. I have been
> circling the thought that the water runs arround the coffee. What is
> the benefit of a rounded tamper?
> I thought flat was key.

I suspect the only thing everyone can agree on is that smooth
is key, and that a few long threads have been about flat versus
round. All I know is that my new round is giving me more
consistent shots than a previous flat (which was not the free
one.) I could believe that it makes it harder for the water to
go around the puck, perhaps "equalizing" the easy wall route
versus through the puck.

> How can one tell how close to the shower scrren you are?

The closer it is, the more resistance I get in putting on
the portafilter. I can also see the impression of the screw
in the puck. I don't think you want to disturb the puck
once tamped.

> You are right that maybe the first beans purchased with the Rocky was
> more oily. That was the one choking the machine.

If so, just back off the grind.


 
Date: 05 Oct 2006 16:04:08
From: Mud Pup
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Mick wrote:
>
> I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> the machine can make).

Hi Mick,

I doubt there's anything wrong with your machine, and the Evolution
should be capable of generating 9 bar. It's not impossible that
the pressure relief valve is letting go too early, but it's just
far more likely a tamp/grind/coffee issue. Your machine is too new
to need a deep cleaning (although it doesn't hurt the taste to
rinse the shower screen often.) Realize that the window
between fast and bitter, and choking isn't that big. It's not
elusive, it's just easier to miss it than hit it.

It sounds like you know how to dial in to the golden rule.
I'm afraid I can't tell you how many grams to use. I just
fill it up until it barely touches the shower screen. I suspect
that it's more important to be consistent, than to use any
one amount. Find what works and stick with it.

The provided tamper is a joke. I bought one from espressopartsource
that is heavy, perfectly sized and rounded on the bottom. It works
much better, possibly because it's preventing water from running
around the sides. (Forgot to mention I have a Gaggia Espresso, so
we're in the same boat.) I've never tried one, but you could also
get a clicking tamper and eliminate that variable.

If it's just crema that you're after, realize that you'll
have to use freshly roasted coffee, maybe a day to 3 old.

I think you'll like your roaster. Whole Foods' never seems to have
any crema despite buying the new stuff, and a local roaster's coffee
isn't so bad, but the stuff that comes out of our cheap popcorn popper
is just great.

One last observation: It seems that beans roasted to the point of
being oily seem to choke the machine more easily. You can decide
this for yourself, but just wanted to throw it out in case its
your problem.


 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 15:17:05
From: wes
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Mick,

My first setup was an Evolution and a Rocky griner, exactly what you
have. I could pull very good shots with that setup.

I echo the folks who have said you need freshly roasted (in the last
week) beans and then grind them right before you pull the shot.

I think tamp is pretty important, and would buy one of the training
tampers like the espro. You'll get a feel for it. For a good crema
shot, though, dosing and tamping are important so the puck has an even
density.

I always got great crema on my Evolution, using home roasted beans and
the Rocky. I also strongly encourage you to upgrade to a Sylvia steam
wand if you do a lot of milk drinks- it really works much better than
the "wand" that comes with the Evolution.

Practice, practice, practice, and maybe read some of the articles on
home-barista.com, as I've found them to be helpful. I had no problems
with the pressure on my Evolution, although my machine did get gunked
up early on, and when I finally accidentally blew the chunk out I
though my machine had broken, since the same grind as before was
gushing now. I had to dial my Rocky down a few notches, and things were
way better after that. So keep it clean- I would take the brew head
apart every couple months or so, there is a lot of coffee that can get
caught up there. . .

Good luck,

Wes
Mick wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I will start using the very light tamp. Also that is what the manual
> tells you to.
> since a couple of days ago I started to slowly dial down in grind, and
> hope to see some difference soon.
>
> Personally I must assume that I am the problem and not the machine.
>
> Now I cannot wai to start using my new iRoast-2 with the beans I
> bought. I bought three different kind of beans. Two for French press
> which are China Yunnan and Indian Monsooned AA. The third is a Espresso
> blend from MoccaBox.dk, but I do not know the blend.
>
> I am really looking forward to knowingexactly how to make my Espresso.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mick
>
> Robert Harmon wrote:
> > Howdy Mick!
> > Here's what someone passed along to me when I bought my first "real"
> > espresso machine; Using a very light tamp (just enough to compress the puck
> > to assure uniform contact) set your grinder to grind incrementally finer for
> > successive shots, until you completely choke off water flow at the filter.
> > Then grind incrementally coarser until you achieve a 25 - 30 second pull.
> > That's what I usually use & I get very good crema.
> >
> > The true secret of crema is fresh beans & a quality grinder but if you want
> > truly "killer" crema add 10% - 20% Robusta beans to your blend when you
> > start roasting your own green beans. And yes, a quality tamper is a good
> > thing even if you use the light tamp method. Good luck!
> > --
> > Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
> > http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> > http://tinyurl.com/psfob
> > http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
> >
> > "Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> > news:1159980732.628484.207510@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > > Hi Robert,
> > >
> > > I was actually looking for a device like this. I will try to find a
> > > place to purchase it in Denk.
> > >
> > > I found that when I tamp harder it still takes arround 25-30 seconds to
> > > get a shot, but harder tamps has not made that much a difference on
> > > time.
> > > Would I benefit from trying to tamp harder yet to se if the crema
> > > starts to appear?
> > > I suppose the coffee will still be bitter, but maybe I mistake the
> > > bitterness with acidy?
> > >
> > > I actually find 30lbs to be quite hard.
> > > Also I know I should get another tamper than the plastic one supplied.
> > > Tamping the center only makes the coffee run arround the sides of the
> > > puck and maybe that gives me the bitterness?
> > > Perhaps I should play more with tamp.
> > >
> > > I am about to do the first descaling since I have had the machine for
> > > two month now.
> > > I plan to do so every second month.
> > >
> > > Thanks for answering,
> > > Mick



 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 11:04:29
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi Robert,

I will start using the very light tamp. Also that is what the manual
tells you to.
since a couple of days ago I started to slowly dial down in grind, and
hope to see some difference soon.

Personally I must assume that I am the problem and not the machine.

Now I cannot wai to start using my new iRoast-2 with the beans I
bought. I bought three different kind of beans. Two for French press
which are China Yunnan and Indian Monsooned AA. The third is a Espresso
blend from MoccaBox.dk, but I do not know the blend.

I am really looking forward to knowingexactly how to make my Espresso.

Thanks again,
Mick

Robert Harmon wrote:
> Howdy Mick!
> Here's what someone passed along to me when I bought my first "real"
> espresso machine; Using a very light tamp (just enough to compress the puck
> to assure uniform contact) set your grinder to grind incrementally finer for
> successive shots, until you completely choke off water flow at the filter.
> Then grind incrementally coarser until you achieve a 25 - 30 second pull.
> That's what I usually use & I get very good crema.
>
> The true secret of crema is fresh beans & a quality grinder but if you want
> truly "killer" crema add 10% - 20% Robusta beans to your blend when you
> start roasting your own green beans. And yes, a quality tamper is a good
> thing even if you use the light tamp method. Good luck!
> --
> Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/psfob
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
>
> "Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> news:1159980732.628484.207510@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > I was actually looking for a device like this. I will try to find a
> > place to purchase it in Denk.
> >
> > I found that when I tamp harder it still takes arround 25-30 seconds to
> > get a shot, but harder tamps has not made that much a difference on
> > time.
> > Would I benefit from trying to tamp harder yet to se if the crema
> > starts to appear?
> > I suppose the coffee will still be bitter, but maybe I mistake the
> > bitterness with acidy?
> >
> > I actually find 30lbs to be quite hard.
> > Also I know I should get another tamper than the plastic one supplied.
> > Tamping the center only makes the coffee run arround the sides of the
> > puck and maybe that gives me the bitterness?
> > Perhaps I should play more with tamp.
> >
> > I am about to do the first descaling since I have had the machine for
> > two month now.
> > I plan to do so every second month.
> >
> > Thanks for answering,
> > Mick



 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 09:52:12
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi Robert,

I was actually looking for a device like this. I will try to find a
place to purchase it in Denk.

I found that when I tamp harder it still takes arround 25-30 seconds to
get a shot, but harder tamps has not made that much a difference on
time.
Would I benefit from trying to tamp harder yet to se if the crema
starts to appear?
I suppose the coffee will still be bitter, but maybe I mistake the
bitterness with acidy?

I actually find 30lbs to be quite hard.
Also I know I should get another tamper than the plastic one supplied.
Tamping the center only makes the coffee run arround the sides of the
puck and maybe that gives me the bitterness?
Perhaps I should play more with tamp.

I am about to do the first descaling since I have had the machine for
two month now.
I plan to do so every second month.

Thanks for answering,
Mick


Robert Harmon wrote:
> Howdy Mick!
> We all respond differently to pressure; some thrive & some cave. A pump
> driven espresso machine needs at least 130 PSI (9 Bar) to function
> properly. Even at that pressure you can choke the filter if the grind is
> too fine or the tamp too aggressive. If those are OK then I suggest
> getting a pressure gauge adapter for your portafilter (assuming your PF
> has the screw-on spouts & not the two holes of the older PFs):
> http://espressoparts.com/product/V_512
>
> If the pressure needs adjusting you'll need to adjust the screw inside
> the pressure relief valve (PRV) or as it's also known, the over
> pressurization valve (OPV).
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is your maintenance schedule? Your machine
> needs to be descaled on a regular basis to keep the boiler in top
> condition. Scale build up reduces brew pressure & machine efficiency in
> general.
>
>
> --
> Robert
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
> http://tinyurl.com/mlsj9
>
> "Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in news:1159942270.462869.187950
> @c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have read a lot of places that the Evolution is not capable of
> > producing the right pressure for the extraction. I now start to wander
> > this also, but on the other side I read also that it is not true.
> >
> > I have gotten some not so bitter shots, but none with the crema I
> > expected. When I got my grinder (Rocky) I was told to use a certain
> > setting for espresso, or to start from it. It turned out that it put my
> > Evolution to its knees. No matter I changed setting.
> >
> > Now I have tried to tamp ontop of a kichen weight that takes only
> > 5kg/11lbs and saw that I tamp at 1-2kg/2.2-4.4lbs. If I tamp harder I
> > get to long a shot and that even with preground coffee.
> > Due to this I wonder if there is any way I can test the pressure of my
> > Evolution.
> >
> > I also read last night that one was using 17g coffee to a double shot.
> > What should be appropriate for the Evolution?
> > I have tried to adhere to the golden rule, and 14g is what I can be
> > sure of every time. I am never 100% on tamp nor grind. Well tamp I am
> > sure is not 13.6kg/30lbs.
> >
> > I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> > the machine can make).
> >
> > I now purchased an iRoast-2 to get fresh coffee, and I am looking
> > forward to trying it.
> > So far the best coffee I get is my French press.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
> >
> >



  
Date: 04 Oct 2006 17:52:54
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Howdy Mick!
Here's what someone passed along to me when I bought my first "real"
espresso machine; Using a very light tamp (just enough to compress the puck
to assure uniform contact) set your grinder to grind incrementally finer for
successive shots, until you completely choke off water flow at the filter.
Then grind incrementally coarser until you achieve a 25 - 30 second pull.
That's what I usually use & I get very good crema.

The true secret of crema is fresh beans & a quality grinder but if you want
truly "killer" crema add 10% - 20% Robusta beans to your blend when you
start roasting your own green beans. And yes, a quality tamper is a good
thing even if you use the light tamp method. Good luck!
--
Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk > wrote in message
news:1159980732.628484.207510@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Robert,
>
> I was actually looking for a device like this. I will try to find a
> place to purchase it in Denk.
>
> I found that when I tamp harder it still takes arround 25-30 seconds to
> get a shot, but harder tamps has not made that much a difference on
> time.
> Would I benefit from trying to tamp harder yet to se if the crema
> starts to appear?
> I suppose the coffee will still be bitter, but maybe I mistake the
> bitterness with acidy?
>
> I actually find 30lbs to be quite hard.
> Also I know I should get another tamper than the plastic one supplied.
> Tamping the center only makes the coffee run arround the sides of the
> puck and maybe that gives me the bitterness?
> Perhaps I should play more with tamp.
>
> I am about to do the first descaling since I have had the machine for
> two month now.
> I plan to do so every second month.
>
> Thanks for answering,
> Mick




 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 09:45:48
From: Mick
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Hi Natalie,

I purchased coffee that was recently roasted and got a better taste
than with the first preground I tried.
I got the Evolution just two month ago, and it is the first machine I
have. A few weeks later I bought the Rocky grinder. a few days later I
think I got a decent crema, but nothing like the shop where I bought
Rocky. They recommended a strat grind that was obviously to fine, but
after that I have had a decent crema.
I used to clean the shower screen and the comming weekend I will clean
the machine completely with a special purchased cleaner from the
dealer. They recommend a cleaning every second month in order to keep
waranty safe.

So far I have used the single shot filter only for pods.

I was told also that the tamp is not so important, as long as I am
happy with the shot, and it takes only the 20 - 25 seconds.

I am still at a learning curve, but I will keep trying.

Thanks for the answer.

-Michael

Natalie Drest wrote:
> "Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> news:1159942270.462869.187950@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have read a lot of places that the Evolution is not capable of
> > producing the right pressure for the extraction. I now start to wander
> > this also, but on the other side I read also that it is not true.
> >
> > I have gotten some not so bitter shots, but none with the crema I
> > expected. When I got my grinder (Rocky) I was told to use a certain
> > setting for espresso, or to start from it. It turned out that it put my
> > Evolution to its knees. No matter I changed setting.
> >
> > Now I have tried to tamp ontop of a kichen weight that takes only
> > 5kg/11lbs and saw that I tamp at 1-2kg/2.2-4.4lbs. If I tamp harder I
> > get to long a shot and that even with preground coffee.
> > Due to this I wonder if there is any way I can test the pressure of my
> > Evolution.
> >
> > I also read last night that one was using 17g coffee to a double shot.
> > What should be appropriate for the Evolution?
> > I have tried to adhere to the golden rule, and 14g is what I can be
> > sure of every time. I am never 100% on tamp nor grind. Well tamp I am
> > sure is not 13.6kg/30lbs.
> >
> > I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> > the machine can make).
> >
> > I now purchased an iRoast-2 to get fresh coffee, and I am looking
> > forward to trying it.
> > So far the best coffee I get is my French press.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michael
> >
>
> You need fresh coffee to get good crema. Tired coffee just won't do it, I'm
> afraid. Are there no roasters in your area?
>
> Hae you had your Evolution long? Did you buy it used? If so, it might need a
> good cleanout. Remove the shower screen & get all the gunk out. If you
> bought it new & haven't had it long, take it back for warranty repair.
> You *should* be able to get an excellent shot with great crema from your
> Evolution. I can- sometimes!
>
> P.S. Which filter basket are you using, single or double?
>
> --
> "fame is proof that people are gullible"- Ralph Waldo Emerson



 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 14:36:51
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
Howdy Mick!
We all respond differently to pressure; some thrive & some cave. A pump
driven espresso machine needs at least 130 PSI (9 Bar) to function
properly. Even at that pressure you can choke the filter if the grind is
too fine or the tamp too aggressive. If those are OK then I suggest
getting a pressure gauge adapter for your portafilter (assuming your PF
has the screw-on spouts & not the two holes of the older PFs):
http://espressoparts.com/product/V_512

If the pressure needs adjusting you'll need to adjust the screw inside
the pressure relief valve (PRV) or as it's also known, the over
pressurization valve (OPV).

Just out of curiosity, what is your maintenance schedule? Your machine
needs to be descaled on a regular basis to keep the boiler in top
condition. Scale build up reduces brew pressure & machine efficiency in
general.


--
Robert
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
http://tinyurl.com/mlsj9

"Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk > wrote in news:1159942270.462869.187950
@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hi,
>
> I have read a lot of places that the Evolution is not capable of
> producing the right pressure for the extraction. I now start to wander
> this also, but on the other side I read also that it is not true.
>
> I have gotten some not so bitter shots, but none with the crema I
> expected. When I got my grinder (Rocky) I was told to use a certain
> setting for espresso, or to start from it. It turned out that it put my
> Evolution to its knees. No matter I changed setting.
>
> Now I have tried to tamp ontop of a kichen weight that takes only
> 5kg/11lbs and saw that I tamp at 1-2kg/2.2-4.4lbs. If I tamp harder I
> get to long a shot and that even with preground coffee.
> Due to this I wonder if there is any way I can test the pressure of my
> Evolution.
>
> I also read last night that one was using 17g coffee to a double shot.
> What should be appropriate for the Evolution?
> I have tried to adhere to the golden rule, and 14g is what I can be
> sure of every time. I am never 100% on tamp nor grind. Well tamp I am
> sure is not 13.6kg/30lbs.
>
> I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> the machine can make).
>
> I now purchased an iRoast-2 to get fresh coffee, and I am looking
> forward to trying it.
> So far the best coffee I get is my French press.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
>






 
Date: 04 Oct 2006 23:04:18
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution pressure?
"Mick" <m_frandsen@mail.tele.dk > wrote in message
news:1159942270.462869.187950@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have read a lot of places that the Evolution is not capable of
> producing the right pressure for the extraction. I now start to wander
> this also, but on the other side I read also that it is not true.
>
> I have gotten some not so bitter shots, but none with the crema I
> expected. When I got my grinder (Rocky) I was told to use a certain
> setting for espresso, or to start from it. It turned out that it put my
> Evolution to its knees. No matter I changed setting.
>
> Now I have tried to tamp ontop of a kichen weight that takes only
> 5kg/11lbs and saw that I tamp at 1-2kg/2.2-4.4lbs. If I tamp harder I
> get to long a shot and that even with preground coffee.
> Due to this I wonder if there is any way I can test the pressure of my
> Evolution.
>
> I also read last night that one was using 17g coffee to a double shot.
> What should be appropriate for the Evolution?
> I have tried to adhere to the golden rule, and 14g is what I can be
> sure of every time. I am never 100% on tamp nor grind. Well tamp I am
> sure is not 13.6kg/30lbs.
>
> I really would like to try to get this perfect espresso (as perfect as
> the machine can make).
>
> I now purchased an iRoast-2 to get fresh coffee, and I am looking
> forward to trying it.
> So far the best coffee I get is my French press.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>

You need fresh coffee to get good crema. Tired coffee just won't do it, I'm
afraid. Are there no roasters in your area?

Hae you had your Evolution long? Did you buy it used? If so, it might need a
good cleanout. Remove the shower screen & get all the gunk out. If you
bought it new & haven't had it long, take it back for warranty repair.
You *should* be able to get an excellent shot with great crema from your
Evolution. I can- sometimes!

P.S. Which filter basket are you using, single or double?

--
"fame is proof that people are gullible"- Ralph Waldo Emerson