coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 09 Oct 2006 08:08:23
From:
Subject: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?
After years of service and sporadic descaling, our Gaggia Evolution
is completely blocked. It can pump water out the steam wand but not
through the brew head.

I can probably take apart the boiler and lines and clean it up but I'm
having trouble (nondestructively) getting the lid off. All around the
edges the clips can be eased free and each corner in turn can be
pryed upbut there is some kind of post or strut in the middle that's
holding on tight. Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it
just
stuck?

Leo





 
Date: 13 Oct 2006 02:33:41
From:
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?

Robert Harmon wrote:
> Howdy Leo!
> Did you do a water debit test
> (http://home.earthlink.net/~r_harmon/Gaggia%20maintenence.htm)?

a lazy debit test (through steam wand) gives >100 ml in 15 s. Does
it often happen that a pump that can deliver the volume isn't able
to produce sufficient pressure?

Leo



 
Date: 12 Oct 2006 07:57:28
From:
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?

I previously wrote:
> After years of service and sporadic descaling, our Gaggia Evolution
> is completely blocked. It can pump water out the steam wand but not
> through the brew head.
>

having taken apart and cleaned up the boiler I thought all my troubles
would be over. The valve spring and rubber ball looked OK and were
not obviously stuck, but when I put it all back together, I still don't
have
water coming through the brew head. The pump does deliver what looks
like a reasonable flow of water through the steam wand.

So I have either a valve that will not open or a pump that doesn't
deliver
enough pressure. Can anybody help me decide which to concentrate on? I

can see a replacement pump at www.happydonkey.co.uk for =A326,
but no valves. does anyone know of a source for the valve?

Leo



  
Date: 12 Oct 2006 16:10:15
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?
Howdy Leo!
Did you do a water debit test
(http://home.earthlink.net/~r_harmon/Gaggia%20maintenence.htm)?

Either the pump is not strong enough (replace), the group valve is shot
(replace), or the boiler has an obstruction blocking the outlet. Remove the
shower screen & it's holder, remove the group valve & turn pump on. If
there's anything less than a full flow try pushing a bit of thin wire into
the valve's hole & wiggle it around. If that clears it fine, if not I'm
afraid you'll need to tear the boiler apart & check the internal passages.

Good luck!
--
Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

<spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk > wrote in message
news:1160665048.695171.272590@c28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

I previously wrote:
> After years of service and sporadic descaling, our Gaggia Evolution
> is completely blocked. It can pump water out the steam wand but not
> through the brew head.
>

having taken apart and cleaned up the boiler I thought all my troubles
would be over. The valve spring and rubber ball looked OK and were
not obviously stuck, but when I put it all back together, I still don't
have
water coming through the brew head. The pump does deliver what looks
like a reasonable flow of water through the steam wand.

So I have either a valve that will not open or a pump that doesn't
deliver
enough pressure. Can anybody help me decide which to concentrate on? I

can see a replacement pump at www.happydonkey.co.uk for 26,
but no valves. does anyone know of a source for the valve?

Leo




 
Date: 10 Oct 2006 16:07:36
From:
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?

Mud Pup wrote:
> spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it just stuck?
>
> The Espresso has a single screw hiding in the water filling spout.
> Perhaps the Evolution does too.

ah, yes, there's a screw hiding under a little pop-off cover on the
cup stacking surface. Thanks! Brass part of boiler soaking in
citric acid now ...


Leo



 
Date: 10 Oct 2006 15:26:29
From: Mud Pup
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?
spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk wrote:
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it just stuck?

The Espresso has a single screw hiding in the water filling spout.
Perhaps the Evolution does too.


  
Date: 11 Oct 2006 05:42:03
From: Deltic
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?
In article <FYOWg.9693$o71.5541@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net >,
Mud Pup <mudpup@retriever.dyndns.org > wrote:

> spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it just stuck?
>
> The Espresso has a single screw hiding in the water filling spout.
> Perhaps the Evolution does too.


There is a single screw under a small panel that you pry out in the
middle of the cup warming platform on top of the machine.

When this screw is removed, the top can be removed by lifting at the
back and tilting toward you (with the front of the machine facing you).
Lift gently as the top panel has to clear the three buttons, and there
is a rather nasty plastic clip at the inside front which must be
disengaged.

One of the rubber pump isolators in my Evolution had dislodged which was
easily fixed.

I'm very happy with mine and it's a great looking machine.

Regards John


   
Date: 11 Oct 2006 10:42:41
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?

"Deltic" <nospam@nospam.com.au > wrote in message
news:nospam-77F3EF.05420211102006@freenews.iinet.net.au...
> In article <FYOWg.9693$o71.5541@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> Mud Pup <mudpup@retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk wrote:
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it just stuck?
>>
>> The Espresso has a single screw hiding in the water filling spout.
>> Perhaps the Evolution does too.
>
>
> There is a single screw under a small panel that you pry out in the
> middle of the cup warming platform on top of the machine.
>
> When this screw is removed, the top can be removed by lifting at the
> back and tilting toward you (with the front of the machine facing you).
> Lift gently as the top panel has to clear the three buttons, and there
> is a rather nasty plastic clip at the inside front which must be
> disengaged.

I got to this stage, but couldn't get the clip open- it seemed to need quite
a bit of pressure & I got scared I'd crack the casing.
What's the trick?

Thanks
(I think one of my isolators is loose too- the machine certainly isn't
'whisper-quiet' as promised. How's yours now?)




    
Date: 11 Oct 2006 20:10:47
From: Deltic
Subject: Re: Gaggia Evolution: trick to open case?
In article <452c3dfa@dnews.tpgi.com.au >,
"Natalie Drest" <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote:

> "Deltic" <nospam@nospam.com.au> wrote in message
> news:nospam-77F3EF.05420211102006@freenews.iinet.net.au...
> > In article <FYOWg.9693$o71.5541@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> > Mud Pup <mudpup@retriever.dyndns.org> wrote:
> >
> >> spjglcs@iop.kcl.ac.uk wrote:
> >> >
> >> > Can anyone tell me if there is a trick? Or is it just stuck?
> >>
> >> The Espresso has a single screw hiding in the water filling spout.
> >> Perhaps the Evolution does too.
> >
> >
> > There is a single screw under a small panel that you pry out in the
> > middle of the cup warming platform on top of the machine.
> >
> > When this screw is removed, the top can be removed by lifting at the
> > back and tilting toward you (with the front of the machine facing you).
> > Lift gently as the top panel has to clear the three buttons, and there
> > is a rather nasty plastic clip at the inside front which must be
> > disengaged.
>
> I got to this stage, but couldn't get the clip open- it seemed to need quite
> a bit of pressure & I got scared I'd crack the casing.
> What's the trick?

It really is a horrible thing I assume was designed for easy assembly. I
just forced it and it cracked the plastic on the clip, but with no
noticable effect when the top was reattached.

> Thanks
> (I think one of my isolators is loose too- the machine certainly isn't
> 'whisper-quiet' as promised. How's yours now?)

Hehe. It actually made the machine noisier when pumping water with no
group attached, though it's now quietier when producing a shot. The
Evolution certainly is a noisy beast - not the best for impressing your
guests after a dinner party. The plastic casing amplifies the noise I
think.

I still love it though, and the coffee's nice.

Cheers John