coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 28 Oct 2006 16:31:41
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Grinder cleaning
I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
hard or what??




 
Date: 01 Nov 2006 18:02:52
From:
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning

shall,

Have you had a chance to try the grinder cleaner from Italy yet?
Anxious to hear what you think.

Michael



  
Date: 02 Nov 2006 04:12:34
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
On 1 Nov 2006 18:02:52 -0800, michael@espressopartsource.com wrote:

>
>shall,
>
>Have you had a chance to try the grinder cleaner from Italy yet?
>Anxious to hear what you think.
>
>Michael

No, but I've heard rumors. When will it be available, and what do you
expect the pricing to be?

shall


 
Date: 29 Oct 2006 20:44:32
From: Kaptain Kaos
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
I used Grindz for the first time in my Baratza Virtuoso grinder's life...
after about 3 months of grinding every day (non oily beans).
How often should grindz be used anyways?!

I clean the grinds out weekly with the supplied brush, but wanted to do a
better than "brush" job.
It was fast and easy with the tablets.

"Lloyd Parsons" <lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote in message
news:lloydparsons-484D1D.16314128102006@individual.net...
>I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
> about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
> hard or what??



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com



 
Date: 29 Oct 2006 15:09:49
From: Omniryx@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
Steel cut oats may work even better.

I just dropped a teaspoon full of uncooked rice into Rocky. He din't
even grumble so I suspect hardness isn't that much of an issue.



Phil P wrote:
> Someone suggested using rolled oats as a safe alternative. It probably
> isn't as effective as harder materials at removing inground residue
> from the burrs, but it does seem to push out old grounds quite well.
> It also has the advantage that you don't need to disturb your espresso
> setting and adjust to a coarse setting as is advisable with rice.



 
Date: 29 Oct 2006 07:36:41
From: Phil P
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning

Lloyd Parsons wrote:
> I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
> about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
> hard or what??

Someone suggested using rolled oats as a safe alternative. It probably
isn't as effective as harder materials at removing inground residue
from the burrs, but it does seem to push out old grounds quite well.
It also has the advantage that you don't need to disturb your espresso
setting and adjust to a coarse setting as is advisable with rice.



 
Date: 29 Oct 2006 07:41:28
From: Danny
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
Lloyd Parsons wrote:
> I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
> about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
> hard or what??

I think the difference is in the hardness - regular uncooked rice is
harder than minute rice, and the preception is that it could cause damage.

I personally never use anything in any of the grinders we use. Far
better to remove the upper burr carrier as part of routine cleaning
and vacuum the area after cleaning sticky coffee residue off the burrs
and thread carrier.

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/EU ordering for Malabar Gold blend)



  
Date: 29 Oct 2006 15:22:22
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 07:41:28 +0000, Danny
<danny@nospam.gaggia-espresso.com > wrote:

>Lloyd Parsons wrote:
>> I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
>> about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
>> hard or what??
>
>I think the difference is in the hardness - regular uncooked rice is
>harder than minute rice, and the preception is that it could cause damage.
>
>I personally never use anything in any of the grinders we use. Far
>better to remove the upper burr carrier as part of routine cleaning
>and vacuum the area after cleaning sticky coffee residue off the burrs
>and thread carrier.

I used to do that regularly with my Rocky. But, I read too many horror
stories of people screwing up their spring-loaded Mazzer carriers when
they tried to re-assemble them. So, I've stuck with Grindz. Plus, it's
really, really quick and easy.

shall


  
Date: 29 Oct 2006 14:53:41
From: Ken Wilson
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning

"Danny" <
> I personally never use anything in any of the grinders we use. Far better
> to remove the upper burr carrier as part of routine cleaning and vacuum
> the area after cleaning sticky coffee residue off the burrs and thread
> carrier.


But that doesn't cost any money!

;-)

ken




 
Date: 28 Oct 2006 22:15:55
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:31:41 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
<lloydparsons@mac.com > wrote:

>I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
>about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
>hard or what??

The consensus here is that fried rice works best, although there is
considerable debate about whether it should be pork or shrimp. :-)

Grindz works best, but costs a lot more. If you wait a bit, reliable
rumors say there is about to be considerable price competition for
tablet grind cleaners.

shall


  
Date: 28 Oct 2006 17:25:49
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Grinder cleaning
In article <3el7k2l45lbcckg5fcf89akejpbkuhk22a@4ax.com >,
shall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 16:31:41 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
> <lloydparsons@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >I see here all the time talking about Grindz or Minute Rice, but how
> >about just using regular uncooked rice? Will that work or is it too
> >hard or what??
>
> The consensus here is that fried rice works best, although there is
> considerable debate about whether it should be pork or shrimp. :-)
>
I'll vote for shrimp...

> Grindz works best, but costs a lot more. If you wait a bit, reliable
> rumors say there is about to be considerable price competition for
> tablet grind cleaners.
>
> shall

OK, I'll wait. It isn't a pressing matter right now.