coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 17 Mar 2007 15:25:02
From: MikaelJ
Subject: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
Hey Guys!

Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
(. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
more power to work with.

Please help!
/Mikael





 
Date: 27 Mar 2007 04:17:32
From: Chris Staley
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 17, 7:01 pm, "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com > wrote:

> the silvia is NOT noted for being a great steamer. Full boiler to
> start, and a single hole tip.
>
> Steaming power is directly related to the amount of heat input -- in
> this country it is 800 watts. fiddling around may help a bit but not
> much.
>
> If you want more steam power, look at gaggia or go up the food chain $
> 900 +
>

Simply NOT the case at all. Honestly my PID'd Silvia has always run
circles around my Expobar. Perhaps the volume of steam is greater in
the latter, but the power has always been in the Silvia. When using
the Silvia, I would start to steam at 285 degrees on the readout. If
I wasn't careful it would blow the milk right out of a 20oz pitcher,
and I always get very vigorous turbulence in the milk. Comparatively
the Expobar is glacial in its speed, and significantly reduced in
power. Perhaps it is time for a descaling on it, but I can't help but
think that the 40-50 difference between the temps at which steaming is
taking place has a significant impact.

Chris Staley



  
Date: 27 Mar 2007 12:00:44
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
>>On 17, 7:01 pm, "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> the silvia is NOT noted for being a great steamer. Full boiler to
>> start, and a single hole tip.

I just saw this, embedded as a quote in somebody else's post. You're so full
of it you've become a blivet, in the ancient, Heinlein meaning of the term.
The Silvia will comfortably outsteam (and produce better microfoam than) ANY
HX or double boiler machine on the ket, for milk quantities less than 300
ml, and with the standard single hole tip.

For all the bullshitting you do about installing PID's, repairing machines
etc. I get the feeling that you don't actually do a lot in terms of real
time usage of the various machines you talk about. Try using each machine in
your home kitchen for a couple of months before you start posting about
their relative merits. Otherwise, as we say down here in the even deeper
south, put a sock in it.


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au






 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 15:22:28
From: MikaelJ
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18, 8:13 pm, Randy G. <f...@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote:
> "Mikael
>
>
>
> >Well, to be really honest I haven't yet descaled it or backflushed
> >her :-( and I have had her for about three years. I promise will do
> >just that soon. But the poor steaming power has always been there.
>
> 1) backflushing has nothing to do with steaming, but after three years
> it is certainly due. Since it has been that long I suggest a
> disassembly of the 3-way for a thorough cleaning before backflushing.
> Have you ever removed the shower screen? if not, you will be disgusted
> at what you find on the brewhead!!!!! it will look like the inside of
> a smoker's lungs, and smell about the same.
>
> 2) if you have been using unsoftened tap water for three years then it
> certainly is due for a descaling if for no other reason than to make
> sure that it isn't scaled up. I am sure that it will do some good.
> Look into a commercial product that is activated citric acid like the
> Dezcal from Urnex. After three years it is due. Follow directions
> carefully. Flush LOTS of water through until the citric acid taste is
> completely gone.
>
> 3) Remove the steaming tip and be sure it is clean inside. I would not
> be surprised to hear that you find a chunk of something like a small
> piece of metal or such in there partially blocking the hole. be sure
> to run the descaler through the steam wand as well.
>
> >Thanx Randy! Love your coffee site by the way!
>
> :-D
>
> Randy "to quote: 'Uchhy 'spresso, Daddy!' " G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

Well, I do clean my shower screen frequently and where I live we have
very soft water, so it might not be that bad. But I will clean Silvia
really soon. Question, (sorry am from Sweden) is there a difference
between descaling and backflushing? I have a backflushing kit.

/MikaelJ



  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 15:41:58
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote:

>
>Well, I do clean my shower screen frequently and where I live we have
>very soft water, so it might not be that bad. But I will clean Silvia
>really soon. Question, (sorry am from Sweden) is there a difference
>between descaling and backflushing? I have a backflushing kit.
>

Backflushing is the forcing of a detergent solution back through the
brew-path. This is done with a blind filter (a portafilter without
holes or a rubber disc to block a standard portafilter). The detergent
is placed in the PF, the PF is locked in place and the brew switch is
turned on and off. This procedure and the reason it is needed as well
as exactly how it works is detailed on my website. This procedure only
cleans the brewing path from the shower screen back through the 3-way
valve. NEVER use this cleaning agent in the water tank!!!!!

Descaling is meant to clean the inside of the boiler and other water
paths. The solution is placed in the water tank and the pump is used
to push it into the boiler where it is allowed to sit for some period
of time according to the instructions. This dissolves the hard water
deposits (lime, calcium, etc.) that accumulate, mostly in the boiler,
even where there is relatively soft water.


Randy "betting on a clogged tip" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com




 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 11:46:55
From: MikaelJ
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18, 7:42 pm, "Craig Andrews" <alt.cof...@deletethis.rogers.com >
wrote:
> "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1174243081.592346.181530@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 18, 5:20 pm, mrgno...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >> On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >> > Hey Guys!
>
> >> > Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> >> > steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia
> >> > is
> >> > really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome
> >> > power! :-
> >> > (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had
> >> > some
> >> > more power to work with.
>
> >> > Please help!
> >> > /Mikael
>
> >> It's not true that the Silvia is not noted as a good steamer. Quiet
> >> the contrary. If you hit her at the right time you'll get lots of
> >> power. The trick is to start steaming when she's at the top of the
> >> steaming thermostat cycle just before the element goes off. Her
> >> problem is wet steam so while the temp is climbing bleed wet steam
> >> out
> >> of the steam arm by it up in bursts a few times to dry it up a bit.
> >> You can time the cycle and get used to when the boiler light goes off
> >> or, like one poster suggested, attach a thermocouple thermometer to
> >> the top of the boiler to get an idea what temp she's at. Just before
> >> the light goes out start steaming with the element on at the top of
> >> the boiler and the steam will be strong and lasting.
>
> > I think I know all about steaming, since I do get good micro foam. But
> > I do think I would get more consistent results with more power.
>
> > Thanx!
> > /MikaelJ
>
> Like I said above Kikael, for more steam POWER., change to a 150C steam
> stat!
> Craig.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Thanx Craig! Do you know some info out there how to change the stat!?

/MikaelJ



  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 14:52:21
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote in message
news:1174243615.346137.146840@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On 18, 7:42 pm, "Craig Andrews" <alt.cof...@deletethis.rogers.com>
> wrote:
>> "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1174243081.592346.181530@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > On 18, 5:20 pm, mrgno...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> >> On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> >> > Hey Guys!
>>
>> >> > Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
>> >> > steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my
>> >> > Silvia
>> >> > is
>> >> > really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome
>> >> > power! :-
>> >> > (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had
>> >> > some
>> >> > more power to work with.
>>
>> >> > Please help!
>> >> > /Mikael
>>
>> >> It's not true that the Silvia is not noted as a good steamer.
>> >> Quiet
>> >> the contrary. If you hit her at the right time you'll get lots of
>> >> power. The trick is to start steaming when she's at the top of
>> >> the
>> >> steaming thermostat cycle just before the element goes off. Her
>> >> problem is wet steam so while the temp is climbing bleed wet steam
>> >> out
>> >> of the steam arm by it up in bursts a few times to dry it up a
>> >> bit.
>> >> You can time the cycle and get used to when the boiler light goes
>> >> off
>> >> or, like one poster suggested, attach a thermocouple thermometer
>> >> to
>> >> the top of the boiler to get an idea what temp she's at. Just
>> >> before
>> >> the light goes out start steaming with the element on at the top
>> >> of
>> >> the boiler and the steam will be strong and lasting.
>>
>> > I think I know all about steaming, since I do get good micro foam.
>> > But
>> > I do think I would get more consistent results with more power.
>>
>> > Thanx!
>> > /MikaelJ
>>
>> Like I said above Kikael, for more steam POWER., change to a 150C
>> steam
>> stat!
>> Craig.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> - Show quoted text -
>
> Thanx Craig! Do you know some info out there how to change the stat!?
>
> /MikaelJ
>

Very simple. Just unplug your machine, take off the top cover, side the
spade connectors off off the steam stat, & replace with the hotter spec
one..
Craig.



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 11:41:16
From: MikaelJ
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18, 2:29 am, Randy G. <f...@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote:
> "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >Hey Guys!
>
> >Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> >steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> >really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> >(. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> >more power to work with.
>
> Have YOU actually used his Silvia as a comparison? Maybe it is the way
> he operates it? it can make a difference.
>
> Having a readout of the temperature on top of the boiler can be
> helpful. That way you can see when the thermostat is about to turn off
> and begin steaming then. Something inexpensive like this can work:http://tinyurl.com/3byoa7
>
> If there is a real difference then maybe your Silvia needs some work-
> maybe a descaling of the boiler, cleaning of the steam tip, rebuilding
> of the steam valve, or replacing the steaming thermostat (not likely
> that one).
>
> Randy "all steamed up over that one" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

Well, to be really honest I haven't yet descaled it or backflushed
her :-( and I have had her for about three years. I promise will do
just that soon. But the poor steaming power has always been there.

Thanx Randy! Love your coffee site by the way!
/MikaelJ



  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 12:13:04
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
"Mikael
>
>Well, to be really honest I haven't yet descaled it or backflushed
>her :-( and I have had her for about three years. I promise will do
>just that soon. But the poor steaming power has always been there.
>

1) backflushing has nothing to do with steaming, but after three years
it is certainly due. Since it has been that long I suggest a
disassembly of the 3-way for a thorough cleaning before backflushing.
Have you ever removed the shower screen? if not, you will be disgusted
at what you find on the brewhead!!!!! it will look like the inside of
a smoker's lungs, and smell about the same.

2) if you have been using unsoftened tap water for three years then it
certainly is due for a descaling if for no other reason than to make
sure that it isn't scaled up. I am sure that it will do some good.
Look into a commercial product that is activated citric acid like the
Dezcal from Urnex. After three years it is due. Follow directions
carefully. Flush LOTS of water through until the citric acid taste is
completely gone.

3) Remove the steaming tip and be sure it is clean inside. I would not
be surprised to hear that you find a chunk of something like a small
piece of metal or such in there partially blocking the hole. be sure
to run the descaler through the steam wand as well.


>Thanx Randy! Love your coffee site by the way!
>
:-D


Randy "to quote: 'Uchhy 'spresso, Daddy!' " G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com




  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 19:11:42
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18 2007 11:41:16 -0700, "MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com >
wrote:

>
>Well, to be really honest I haven't yet descaled it or backflushed
>her :-( and I have had her for about three years. I promise will do
>just that soon. But the poor steaming power has always been there.
>
>Thanx Randy! Love your coffee site by the way!
>/MikaelJ

Loss of steaming power due to scaling is very gradual at first and
then accelerates as old scale attracts new scale. There is an
excellent chance you don't actually remember how well it steamed when
it was brand new. Unless you live in New York City (and maybe even
then), you are WAY overdue for a descaling. Your heating element is
probably insulated now with a nice layer of limescale, and your steam
wand is probably lined with the same thing.

I just descaled my Zaffiro after 9 months (I usually only go 6 months)
and had an enormous boost in steam power.

Let me suggest you disregard all the advice about component upgrades
until after you descale.

shall


   
Date: 18 Mar 2007 15:36:55
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"shall" <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote in message
news:hb3rv2ll4lqu8p7t50j1qsgih11unq029g@4ax.com...
> On 18 2007 11:41:16 -0700, "MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>Well, to be really honest I haven't yet descaled it or backflushed
>>her :-( and I have had her for about three years. I promise will do
>>just that soon. But the poor steaming power has always been there.
>>
>>Thanx Randy! Love your coffee site by the way!
>>/MikaelJ
>
> Loss of steaming power due to scaling is very gradual at first and
> then accelerates as old scale attracts new scale. There is an
> excellent chance you don't actually remember how well it steamed when
> it was brand new. Unless you live in New York City (and maybe even
> then), you are WAY overdue for a descaling. Your heating element is
> probably insulated now with a nice layer of limescale, and your steam
> wand is probably lined with the same thing.
>
> I just descaled my Zaffiro after 9 months (I usually only go 6 months)
> and had an enormous boost in steam power.
>
> Let me suggest you disregard all the advice about component upgrades
> until after you descale.
>
> shall

Last sentence, yes., just common sense! That's unbelievable you haven't
even done it yet..
Craig.



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 11:38:01
From: MikaelJ
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18, 5:20 pm, mrgno...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey Guys!
>
> > Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> > steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> > really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> > (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> > more power to work with.
>
> > Please help!
> > /Mikael
>
> It's not true that the Silvia is not noted as a good steamer. Quiet
> the contrary. If you hit her at the right time you'll get lots of
> power. The trick is to start steaming when she's at the top of the
> steaming thermostat cycle just before the element goes off. Her
> problem is wet steam so while the temp is climbing bleed wet steam out
> of the steam arm by it up in bursts a few times to dry it up a bit.
> You can time the cycle and get used to when the boiler light goes off
> or, like one poster suggested, attach a thermocouple thermometer to
> the top of the boiler to get an idea what temp she's at. Just before
> the light goes out start steaming with the element on at the top of
> the boiler and the steam will be strong and lasting.

I think I know all about steaming, since I do get good micro foam. But
I do think I would get more consistent results with more power.

Thanx!
/MikaelJ



  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 14:42:23
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote in message
news:1174243081.592346.181530@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> On 18, 5:20 pm, mrgno...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey Guys!
>>
>> > Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
>> > steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia
>> > is
>> > really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome
>> > power! :-
>> > (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had
>> > some
>> > more power to work with.
>>
>> > Please help!
>> > /Mikael
>>
>> It's not true that the Silvia is not noted as a good steamer. Quiet
>> the contrary. If you hit her at the right time you'll get lots of
>> power. The trick is to start steaming when she's at the top of the
>> steaming thermostat cycle just before the element goes off. Her
>> problem is wet steam so while the temp is climbing bleed wet steam
>> out
>> of the steam arm by it up in bursts a few times to dry it up a bit.
>> You can time the cycle and get used to when the boiler light goes off
>> or, like one poster suggested, attach a thermocouple thermometer to
>> the top of the boiler to get an idea what temp she's at. Just before
>> the light goes out start steaming with the element on at the top of
>> the boiler and the steam will be strong and lasting.
>
> I think I know all about steaming, since I do get good micro foam. But
> I do think I would get more consistent results with more power.
>
> Thanx!
> /MikaelJ
>

Like I said above Kikael, for more steam POWER., change to a 150C steam
stat!
Craig.



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 11:27:00
From: MikaelJ
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 18, 2:29 am, Randy G. <f...@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote:
> "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >Hey Guys!
>
> >Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> >steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> >really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> >(. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> >more power to work with.
>
> Have YOU actually used his Silvia as a comparison? Maybe it is the way
> he operates it? it can make a difference.
>
> Having a readout of the temperature on top of the boiler can be
> helpful. That way you can see when the thermostat is about to turn off
> and begin steaming then. Something inexpensive like this can work:http://tinyurl.com/3byoa7
>
> If there is a real difference then maybe your Silvia needs some work-
> maybe a descaling of the boiler, cleaning of the steam tip, rebuilding
> of the steam valve, or replacing the steaming thermostat (not likely
> that one).
>
> Randy "all steamed up over that one" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

Yep, I have tried his Silvia and we have the same steaming technique,
and believe me his machine has awesome steaming power and always. My
machine can somtimes produce the same steam powers as his machine but
then I have to steam a couple of consecutive times and then mabey it
will have that power.

Thanx for all replies!!

/MikaelJ



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 09:20:53
From:
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com > wrote:
> Hey Guys!
>
> Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> more power to work with.
>
> Please help!
> /Mikael

It's not true that the Silvia is not noted as a good steamer. Quiet
the contrary. If you hit her at the right time you'll get lots of
power. The trick is to start steaming when she's at the top of the
steaming thermostat cycle just before the element goes off. Her
problem is wet steam so while the temp is climbing bleed wet steam out
of the steam arm by it up in bursts a few times to dry it up a bit.
You can time the cycle and get used to when the boiler light goes off
or, like one poster suggested, attach a thermocouple thermometer to
the top of the boiler to get an idea what temp she's at. Just before
the light goes out start steaming with the element on at the top of
the boiler and the steam will be strong and lasting.



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 12:14:47
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote in message
news:1174170302.249473.189300@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hey Guys!
>
> Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power!
> :-
> (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> more power to work with.
>
> Please help!
> /Mikael
>

Put in a higher rated steam stat. Silvia has decent steam power. I
replaced the stock 140C stat with a 150C one 3 years ago, & believe you
me., it steams like a locomotive since then! {:-D
Craig.



  
Date: 18 Mar 2007 15:40:09
From: Andy Schecter
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
Craig Andrews wrote:
> I replaced the stock 140C stat with a 150C one 3 years ago, & believe
> you me, it steams like a locomotive since then! {:-D

Electric locomotive or steam locomotive?


--


-Andy S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/


   
Date: 18 Mar 2007 16:02:06
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"Andy Schecter" <schecter@remove.me.rochester.rr.com > wrote in message
news:45fd9584$0$17210$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
> Craig Andrews wrote:
> > I replaced the stock 140C stat with a 150C one 3 years ago, &
> > believe
>> you me, it steams like a locomotive since then! {:-D
>
> Electric locomotive or steam locomotive?
>
>
> -Andy S.

Why steam of course Andy! {;-D
With the old stock s. stat or 140C (284F) versus the 150C (302F), I have
6.5% more steam power & it makes a HELL of a difference. Instead of
opening my steam valve @ 280 - 282F or so, I open @ 299 - 300F.
Craig.



 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 14:28:08
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 17 2007 15:25:02 -0700, "MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com >
wrote:

>Hey Guys!
>
>Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
>steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
>really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
>(. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
>more power to work with.
>
>Please help!
>/Mikael

When was the last time you descaled it?

shall


 
Date: 18 Mar 2007 23:16:34
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?

"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote in message
news:1174170302.249473.189300@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hey Guys!
>
> Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> more power to work with.
>
> Please help!
> /Mikael
>

Having just been through 3 teardowns of my Faema Family to fix weak steam
pressure, I'd have to suggest doing the same. Descale, open boiler, look for
blockage in steam pipe before steam tap, in steam tap & after. Rinse &
repeat. I found various bits of crud in the boiler, some of which I'm sure
had been blocking the steam outlet. I fitted an oversized washer in the
steam tap, allowing it to open more fully. I don't know why it needed that,
but it sure helped. Haven't had a problem since. I've also upped the steam
thermostat from 135 deg. C to 145 deg. C. It's fantastic now, amazing
pressure for a small machine, the boiiler's about the same size as yours-
just a few mL smaller.
Don't give up, good steam pressure can be yours!




 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 21:44:45
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 17, 3:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com > wrote:

Forgive the second reply. Silvia always had an excellent reputation as
far as steaming power and it was one of its selling points around here
when its popularity was on the rise back about 6+ years ago. Although
limited by its design (small single boiler meant to do two tasks as is
the case with most home machines), you should be able to get enough
milk steamed for about two lattes with the stock thermostat.

There was a recent post giving instructions on how to add a switch to
the steam knob so that the boiler was kept on when steaming by simply
turning on the steam knob. Some sort of external, momentary switch,
preferably controlled through a relay, that keeps the boiler on while
steaming could also be accomplished.

I often joke with my wife- I turn on the steam knob spraying a cloud
of steam into the kitchen, and comment, "This weak steam from this
machine is a real problem, no?" ;-)

Once you eliminate any possible problems with your machine, have your
friend try yours, and you try your friends machine. Also check the
voltage differences between your friend's house and yours, and maybe
take your machine over there....?



 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 19:01:43
From: daveb
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
On 17, 6:25 pm, "MikaelJ" <mynewsm...@bigfoot.com > wrote:
> Hey Guys!
>
> Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
> steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
> really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
> (. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
> more power to work with.
>
> Please help!
> /Mikael

the silvia is NOT noted for being a great steamer. Full boiler to
start, and a single hole tip.

Steaming power is directly related to the amount of heat input -- in
this country it is 800 watts. fiddling around may help a bit but not
much.

If you want more steam power, look at gaggia or go up the food chain $
900 +

dave



 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 18:29:39
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: How Can I Increase Silvia Steam Power?
"MikaelJ" <mynewsmail@bigfoot.com > wrote:

>Hey Guys!
>
>Is it possible to tweak something inside Silvia to increase its
>steaming power? Not PID if possible. The steam power of my Silvia is
>really bad comparing to my friend's Silvia, that have awesome power! :-
>(. Even though I can make micro foam, it would be easer if I had some
>more power to work with.
>

Have YOU actually used his Silvia as a comparison? Maybe it is the way
he operates it? it can make a difference.

Having a readout of the temperature on top of the boiler can be
helpful. That way you can see when the thermostat is about to turn off
and begin steaming then. Something inexpensive like this can work:
http://tinyurl.com/3byoa7

If there is a real difference then maybe your Silvia needs some work-
maybe a descaling of the boiler, cleaning of the steam tip, rebuilding
of the steam valve, or replacing the steaming thermostat (not likely
that one).

Randy "all steamed up over that one" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com