coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 01 Sep 2007 15:04:11
From: lockjaw
Subject: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
Randomly selected from the ones that pass through here.

AFTER a 30 min. warmup, full boiler, at idle, room temp 75 F:

Low: heater turns on -- 224.5 F
High: after heater cutoff and over-shoot -- 285.0 F

Net 'swing' 61 F! horrible!

(using Agilent 34970A / 34902A DAQ @ 4 samples / sec. calibrated 'T'
T/C on boiler top surface.)
Line voltage 122 V nominal.

Dave

WWW.HITECHESPRESSO.COM





 
Date: 10 Sep 2007 21:39:55
From: lockjaw
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.


where have you been?




 
Date: 10 Sep 2007 07:56:43
From: dstroot
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
On Sep 8, 8:57 pm, Terry Stockdale <n...@dadstoy.net > wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:07:49 GMT, Steve <n...@use.net> wrote:
> >On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:57:56 -0700, dstroot <dan.str...@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
>
> >>Any recommendations on parts/kits?
>
> >Contact Jim athttp://www.pidkits.com/
> >Many here can vouch for his excellent kits, ready-cut and with
> >connectors in place, and very simple to follow CD of instructions.
> >Installation took me about 20 minutes.
>
> Wow! Almost makes me wish that I was doing mine -- but I did mine a
> couple years ago before any kits were available.
>
> You can see it here: http://www.terrystockdale.com/coffee/pid_silvia.php
>
> Terry

Nice Job! I ended up ordering a kit from Jim @ PIDkits - now I just
have to be patient for 3 weeks!



 
Date: 07 Sep 2007 07:57:56
From: dstroot
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
On Sep 1, 8:04 am, lockjaw <davebo...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Randomly selected from the ones that pass through here.
>
> AFTER a 30 min. warmup, full boiler, at idle, room temp 75 F:
>
> Low: heater turns on -- 224.5 F
> High: after heater cutoff and over-shoot -- 285.0 F
>
> Net 'swing' 61 F! horrible!
>
> (using Agilent 34970A / 34902A DAQ @ 4 samples / sec. calibrated 'T'
> T/C on boiler top surface.)
> Line voltage 122 V nominal.
>
> Dave
>
> WWW.HITECHESPRESSO.COM

Dave - I love your PID'ed Silvias on eBay and I know you offer a
service to do it (I already have a Silvia) but you don't offer a kit.
I'm a very handy person and from reading about the mod seems like I
could DIY pretty easily. Some of the kits out there are pretty
expensive, others less so. Any recommendations on parts/kits? Would
you consider selling a kit? ;)

Dan Stroot



  
Date: 07 Sep 2007 16:07:49
From: Steve
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:57:56 -0700, dstroot <dan.stroot@gmail.com >
wrote:

>Any recommendations on parts/kits?

Contact Jim at http://www.pidkits.com/
Many here can vouch for his excellent kits, ready-cut and with
connectors in place, and very simple to follow CD of instructions.
Installation took me about 20 minutes.


   
Date: 08 Sep 2007 22:57:30
From: Terry Stockdale
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:07:49 GMT, Steve <not@use.net > wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:57:56 -0700, dstroot <dan.stroot@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Any recommendations on parts/kits?
>
>Contact Jim at http://www.pidkits.com/
>Many here can vouch for his excellent kits, ready-cut and with
>connectors in place, and very simple to follow CD of instructions.
>Installation took me about 20 minutes.

Wow! Almost makes me wish that I was doing mine -- but I did mine a
couple years ago before any kits were available.

You can see it here:
http://www.terrystockdale.com/coffee/pid_silvia.php

Terry


   
Date: 07 Sep 2007 11:28:32
From: Godzilla
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
Steve wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 07:57:56 -0700, dstroot <dan.stroot@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Any recommendations on parts/kits?
>
> Contact Jim at http://www.pidkits.com/
> Many here can vouch for his excellent kits, ready-cut and with
> connectors in place, and very simple to follow CD of instructions.
> Installation took me about 20 minutes.


You must be a speed demon ;-) It took me hours, but then I am the type
to check things again and again before actually doing something.
However, I can also vouch for both the the quality of the kit and the
instructions on the CD. Jim answers email queries very promptly as
well.

Godzilla


    
Date: 07 Sep 2007 17:08:12
From: Steve
Subject: Re: How bad is STOCK Silvia temperature regulation? -- BAD.
On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:28:32 -0500, Godzilla <godzilla@monsters.org >
wrote:

>You must be a speed demon ;-) It took me hours, but then I am the type
>to check things again and again before actually doing something.
>However, I can also vouch for both the the quality of the kit and the
>instructions on the CD. Jim answers email queries very promptly as
>well.

Did it really?
I wasn't counting set up time, and getting the tools and a laptop into
the kitchen to read the instructions. But even then I was done in
about an hour, total.

I also read the instructions over and over the day I received the kit
to be sure I had a clue what I was doing. ;-)