coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 04 Oct 2006 08:23:54
From: finding z0
Subject: I-Roast and digital temp. probe surprise! surprise!
Let's try it with a different subject header...

I revived this thread from ch because it inspired me to actually
hook up the digital thermo I bought 2 yrs ago to my IRoast (may be the
one recommended on the SM site.
Surprise surprise. When the digital finally caught up to the onboard
readout,
they were pretty much the same. This is disturbing as I've been
roasting about 2 yrs with this roaster. The finishing temp on both
readouts was 360 deg F. Not 450F or 470F as a finishing roast should
be, or so I read. The roast, of course, is into second crack. The probe
started out on the top edge of the cold bean mass near the glass, and
finished, buried in the expanded mass. Maybe by some coincidence, I was
reading the same spot as the onboard probe. I must be dumb, as the blue
plastic sleeve near the probe tip melted. Maybe i was supposed to move
it out of the way..if in fact it was moveable. I now have a partially
melted sleeve which I can't remove, stuck near the end of probe. Maybe
it improves the brew..Any clues how I may get more realistic readouts?





 
Date: 12 Oct 2006 07:07:50
From: finding z0
Subject: Re: I-Roast and digital temp. probe surprise! surprise!
For the second roast with the temp probe, I placed it into the center
cone. The read went quickly to 390F and at the end was about 460-470F.
More acceptable #'s. Not sure how this is supposed to help. I still
listen for second crack. lol. Maybe I'll learn more as i watch this
process. I'm still working on the coffee bean shaped/same density/ temp
probe, and the bean inserted temp probe. Next phase is to dream about
it working.......If it works, I'll invite you all to my dream where we
taste the perfect cup. Cheers
finding z0 wrote:
> Let's try it with a different subject header...
>
> I revived this thread from ch because it inspired me to actually
> hook up the digital thermo I bought 2 yrs ago to my IRoast (same as the
> one recommended on the SM site).
> Surprise surprise. When the digital finally caught up to the onboard
> readout,
> they were pretty much the same. This is disturbing as I've been
> roasting about 2 yrs with this roaster. The finishing temp on both
> readouts was 360 deg F. Not 450F or 470F as a finishing roast should
> be, or so I read.



 
Date: 06 Oct 2006 17:56:00
From: finding z0
Subject: Re: I-Roast and digital temp. probe surprise! surprise!

EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:
> In alt.coffee, finding z0 <jsk2@excite.com> wrote:
>
> > readouts was 360 deg F. Not 450F or 470F as a finishing roast should
> > be, or so I read. The roast, of course, is into second crack.
>
> > Any clues how I may get more realistic readouts?
>
>
> I agree that 360 seems quite low for second crack! The literature I've
> reviewed seems inconsistent WRT the temp range of the cracks. I'd love to
> find a consensus, or a reliable heretic, where I canlearn wat the true
> temp range is.
>
> Does anybody have an accepted source of Temp/roast state information?
Sweet ias website.



  
Date: 07 Oct 2006 01:08:16
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: I-Roast and digital temp. probe surprise! surprise!
On 6 Oct 2006 17:56:00 -0700, "finding z0" <jsk2@excite.com > wrote:

>> Does anybody have an accepted source of Temp/roast state information?
>Sweet ias website.

Just remember that numbers are variable due to probe and instrument
calibration, location in roaster and roast method.

~440 in a HotTop is ~460 in a FR with the same bean, the same probe
and the same datalogger.

If using different probes and roasters, enter an offset so the
collected data translates.


 
Date: 06 Oct 2006 14:20:04
From:
Subject: Re: I-Roast and digital temp. probe surprise! surprise!
In alt.coffee, finding z0 <jsk2@excite.com > wrote:

> readouts was 360 deg F. Not 450F or 470F as a finishing roast should
> be, or so I read. The roast, of course, is into second crack.

> Any clues how I may get more realistic readouts?


I agree that 360 seems quite low for second crack! The literature I've
reviewed seems inconsistent WRT the temp range of the cracks. I'd love to
find a consensus, or a reliable heretic, where I canlearn wat the true
temp range is.

Does anybody have an accepted source of Temp/roast state information?

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow