coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 17 Dec 2006 10:01:45
From:
Subject: Invitation from John Hornall
Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
go with Silvia)
I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
some shots with the 4 group Linea.
Anyone else interested?
Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
Stan





 
Date: 23 Dec 2006 13:07:37
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

Don C. wrote:
> I reply to this now for two reasons:
>
> First, because I meant to when I first read it but got distracted.
> Second, I want to keep this thread alive so this klatch at Chestnut
> Hill actually happens. I am just waiting for the date to show up. Any
> Saturday works for me.
>
> On Dec 21, 9:48 am, "Jack Denver" <nunuv...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > If you feel an overabundance of Italian in your neighborhood, just wait a
> > little while - Upper Darby is an immigrant magnet and like a little United
> > Nations. There will be more unfamiliar foreign cuisines added every day. For
> > those not from this area, UD is the first community west of the Philadelphia
> > boundary. It reminds me of parts of Queens, NY - say Jackson Heights or
> > Elmhurst and the older immigrant population (Italian, Greek) is being
> > replaced by a new generation (Latin American, Asian).
>
>
> When we chose Lansdowne as our new home "ethnically diverse" was not
> one of our search criteria but we do consider it a benefit. UD is a
> pretty neat neighborhood.
> >
> > If you are in Upper Darby you have to visit the H-t Korean superket on
> > Terminal Square. Downstairs the produce and fish are very fresh and the
> > prices reasonable. Upstairs there is a Korean "food court" with not only
> > Korean food but Japanese, Korean influenced Chinese, etc. The sushi is
> > very fresh and again not overpriced.
> >
> Love Terminal square. It is hard to beat Asian kets for the
> quality of the produce. We actually were making special trips to
> Chinatown downtown to get our produce and roasted ducks before we
> discovered H-t. We still make the trips downtown for Dim Sum on
> Saturdays though.
>
> > Most Thai food in America sucks. Vientiane is the name of the capital of
> > Laos, which might give you a hint that the Cafe's management is not quite
> > Thai, which might account for why the food is better than most
> > "Thai-American" restaurants.
>
> I don't have a non-american basis for comparison. As far as the name
> Vientiane Cafe, Zagat's has them listed as Thai but they might consider
> themselves Laotian. I consider myself somewhat of a curry afficionado
> and will say (imnsho) that this is the only restaurant that has bested
> mine.
>
> And a big Ooops! I meant Jim's Steaks not John's Steaks.
Don
The thread is alive. I was away for a few days on business. Stopped in
at John's shop to ask him what a good time range would be on a
Saturday, but he was at the roastery tuning the first batch of his
espresso blend. Anxious to try it.
He will be in the shop tomorrow so I'll find out then. Date looks
tentatively like Saturday,January 13.
Stan



 
Date: 23 Dec 2006 10:12:17
From: Don C.
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
I reply to this now for two reasons:

First, because I meant to when I first read it but got distracted.
Second, I want to keep this thread alive so this klatch at Chestnut
Hill actually happens. I am just waiting for the date to show up. Any
Saturday works for me.

On Dec 21, 9:48 am, "Jack Denver" <nunuv...@netscape.net > wrote:
> If you feel an overabundance of Italian in your neighborhood, just wait a
> little while - Upper Darby is an immigrant magnet and like a little United
> Nations. There will be more unfamiliar foreign cuisines added every day. For
> those not from this area, UD is the first community west of the Philadelphia
> boundary. It reminds me of parts of Queens, NY - say Jackson Heights or
> Elmhurst and the older immigrant population (Italian, Greek) is being
> replaced by a new generation (Latin American, Asian).


When we chose Lansdowne as our new home "ethnically diverse" was not
one of our search criteria but we do consider it a benefit. UD is a
pretty neat neighborhood.
>
> If you are in Upper Darby you have to visit the H-t Korean superket on
> Terminal Square. Downstairs the produce and fish are very fresh and the
> prices reasonable. Upstairs there is a Korean "food court" with not only
> Korean food but Japanese, Korean influenced Chinese, etc. The sushi is
> very fresh and again not overpriced.
>
Love Terminal square. It is hard to beat Asian kets for the
quality of the produce. We actually were making special trips to
Chinatown downtown to get our produce and roasted ducks before we
discovered H-t. We still make the trips downtown for Dim Sum on
Saturdays though.

> Most Thai food in America sucks. Vientiane is the name of the capital of
> Laos, which might give you a hint that the Cafe's management is not quite
> Thai, which might account for why the food is better than most
> "Thai-American" restaurants.

I don't have a non-american basis for comparison. As far as the name
Vientiane Cafe, Zagat's has them listed as Thai but they might consider
themselves Laotian. I consider myself somewhat of a curry afficionado
and will say (imnsho) that this is the only restaurant that has bested
mine.

And a big Ooops! I meant Jim's Steaks not John's Steaks.



 
Date: 20 Dec 2006 21:31:09
From: Don C.
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
:)

I was going to add a caveat to my earlier post that there are many
choices for us as long as we are in the mood for Italian.

As far as the green chile predominance, I have to say I have not
noticed it in my neck of the woods.

A couple of the restaurants that I consider excellent: Vientiene Cafe
(Thai) on Baltimore Pike near University City, they serve some of the
best peanut based Curry dishes I've had in years. There is an
authentic Korean BBQ right off of State St. in Upper Darby - a little
tricky if you don't have a Korean speaker with you since no one speaks
English in the whole restaurant. There is a Bar/Restaurant called
Deco's in Drexel Hill that has amazing veal dishes, excellent
personal pizzas, and very good Italian sandwiches. Finally, there is a
place called Bona Cucina 100 yards from my house that has - hands-down
- the best Tira Misu I've ever had. Oh yeah, John's Steaks (the
original) does not suck if you're in the mood for a "Whiz With."

You might notice that these are not Michelin rated restaurants. In fact
the bar is the only one with a liquor license. So our rating criteria
for "Excellent" are probably skewed. But these are the restaurants
that I would take Calvin Trillin to if he were to visit me in Philly.

I should note that Anne and I have only recently moved back to the
Philly area after 10 years in exile in Columbus, OH and so have not had
the chance to fully reconnect with the cuisine in Philly.

On Dec 20, 5:49 pm, bernie <bdig...@zianet.com > wrote:
> Don C. wrote:
> > I agree wholeheartedly. There are many restaurants in Philly that
> > warrant a special trip but my wife and I often (read almost always) eat
> > very close to home because there are probably 10 or 12 good to very
> > good and 1 or 2 excellent choices within 5 or 10 minutes of our house.
>
> > That said, I had heard about both Chestnut Hill and Penzey's and had
> > planned on making the trip at some point. I was just waiting for the
> > proper motivation. I think this thread fully qualifies. I know I'm going to regret asking, Don, but being in somewhat of a,
> ahem, limited venue when it comes to fine cusine I'd love to hear what
> your favorite meal is at one of those excellent choices. In this entire
> state I can't think of 2 excellent choices. I love the state, and I'm no
> epicure, but even I can figure out that there has to be a menu with no
> green chile out there somewhere.
> Bernie



  
Date: 21 Dec 2006 09:48:15
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
If you feel an overabundance of Italian in your neighborhood, just wait a
little while - Upper Darby is an immigrant magnet and like a little United
Nations. There will be more unfamiliar foreign cuisines added every day. For
those not from this area, UD is the first community west of the Philadelphia
boundary. It reminds me of parts of Queens, NY - say Jackson Heights or
Elmhurst and the older immigrant population (Italian, Greek) is being
replaced by a new generation (Latin American, Asian).

If you are in Upper Darby you have to visit the H-t Korean superket on
Terminal Square. Downstairs the produce and fish are very fresh and the
prices reasonable. Upstairs there is a Korean "food court" with not only
Korean food but Japanese, Korean influenced Chinese, etc. The sushi is
very fresh and again not overpriced.

Most Thai food in America sucks. Vientiane is the name of the capital of
Laos, which might give you a hint that the Cafe's management is not quite
Thai, which might account for why the food is better than most
"Thai-American" restaurants.

Green chile is the signature dish N. Mexico cuisine, so you sure wouldn't
notice it here in Philly. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find a single
bowl of green chile here unless you make it yourself. The chiles are fire
roasted and the skins removed and the flesh goes into a ubiquitous stew or
sauce. The closest to a New Mexico pepper you'd find here would be an
Ananheim chile but N. Mexicans would tell you that they are not the same.


"Don C." <DonRCummings@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166679069.480149.301960@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> :)
>
> I was going to add a caveat to my earlier post that there are many
> choices for us as long as we are in the mood for Italian.
>
> As far as the green chile predominance, I have to say I have not
> noticed it in my neck of the woods.
>
> A couple of the restaurants that I consider excellent: Vientiene Cafe
> (Thai) on Baltimore Pike near University City, they serve some of the
> best peanut based Curry dishes I've had in years. There is an
> authentic Korean BBQ right off of State St. in Upper Darby - a little
> tricky if you don't have a Korean speaker with you since no one speaks
> English in the whole restaurant. There is a Bar/Restaurant called
> Deco's in Drexel Hill that has amazing veal dishes, excellent
> personal pizzas, and very good Italian sandwiches. Finally, there is a
> place called Bona Cucina 100 yards from my house that has - hands-down
> - the best Tira Misu I've ever had. Oh yeah, John's Steaks (the
> original) does not suck if you're in the mood for a "Whiz With."
>
> You might notice that these are not Michelin rated restaurants. In fact
> the bar is the only one with a liquor license. So our rating criteria
> for "Excellent" are probably skewed. But these are the restaurants
> that I would take Calvin Trillin to if he were to visit me in Philly.
>
> I should note that Anne and I have only recently moved back to the
> Philly area after 10 years in exile in Columbus, OH and so have not had
> the chance to fully reconnect with the cuisine in Philly.




 
Date: 19 Dec 2006 18:23:06
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

Mike White wrote:
> Mike White wrote:
> > Jack Denver wrote:
> > > The Lex takes you up the east side. Then you'd have to take a looong
> > > crosstown bus ride to get the UWS. You'd want to take the Lex to 42nd st,
> > > then the shuttle and then the 7th Ave line. Even on a local, actual time on
> > > board train(s) would be no more than 1/2 hr. but then you have to walk from
> > > where you live to the nearest subway stop, plus wait for the next train(s)
> > > to come (x3) and then walk again from the subway to your destination. If
> > > you are in the far east village ("Alphabet Town") you have a really long
> > > walk just to get to the Lex (or to any subway for that matter) - could
> > > easily be 15 mins right there. So door to door could easily be an hour and
> > > sometimes more if there is a problem with the trains.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Or you could take the L from 14th Street and 1st Ave and transfer to
> > the ACE at 8th Ave. From here in Williamsburg Brooklyn I can get to
> > the UWS in 30-45min.
> >
> > Sorry...had to chime in...
>
>
> Oh and by the way, I also commuted from here in Brooklyn just to visit
> John in Philly and it was worth the trip.
If anyone is coming from a distance and needs a place to crash
overnight, my house is 5 minutes from John's shop, I have 3 guest
beds, pid'd Silvia and Rocky, and I know where to get the best
cheesesteaks in Philly. First 3 contestants win.
Stan



 
Date: 19 Dec 2006 13:22:36
From: Don C.
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
I agree wholeheartedly. There are many restaurants in Philly that
warrant a special trip but my wife and I often (read almost always) eat
very close to home because there are probably 10 or 12 good to very
good and 1 or 2 excellent choices within 5 or 10 minutes of our house.

That said, I had heard about both Chestnut Hill and Penzey's and had
planned on making the trip at some point. I was just waiting for the
proper motivation. I think this thread fully qualifies.


Jack Denver wrote:
> It's partly time and partly a question of what you get for that time
> investment. For the most part, the kind of retail they have in Chestnut Hill
> duplicate what I'd find much closer to home - banks, pizza places,
> Starbucks, etc. so you need some reason to make the trip. Hornall and
> Penzeys tip the balance.
>
> It's like the Guide Michelin's idea of a 3 star restaurant being "worth a
> special trip" and 2 stars is "worth a detour", while a 1 star is "good if
> you are in the neighborhood already". I'd say a 12 mile trip counts at
> least as a "detour" if not a "special trip" so you need at least a 2 star
> attraction and up until now Chestnut Hill didn't have any 2 star +
> attractions (for me).
>
>
> "Don C." <DonRCummings@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1166542087.180092.119400@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > Moose wrote:
> >> Jack wrote:
> >>
> >> Two places you've really wanted to visit but felt 15 miles was too far to
> >> go?
> >> Wow, that's definitely a different mentality than ours in So. California.
> >
> > Maybe if you think about it in terms of time investment it might even
> > up a bit.
> >
> > My office is on the Main Line and I live out in Lansdowne. It takes me
> > 35 to 45 minutes to get to work. I live exactly 5.4 miles from work.
> > By extrapolating, 12 miles could take an hour an a half.
> >
> > When I lived in the East Village in NYC it would take about an hour to
> > get to my buddies' apartments on the upper west side (about 3 miles.)
> > We never even thought about traveling 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies
> > without luggage.
> >



  
Date: 20 Dec 2006 15:49:10
From: bernie
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
Don C. wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly. There are many restaurants in Philly that
> warrant a special trip but my wife and I often (read almost always) eat
> very close to home because there are probably 10 or 12 good to very
> good and 1 or 2 excellent choices within 5 or 10 minutes of our house.
>
> That said, I had heard about both Chestnut Hill and Penzey's and had
> planned on making the trip at some point. I was just waiting for the
> proper motivation. I think this thread fully qualifies.
>
>

I know I'm going to regret asking, Don, but being in somewhat of a,
ahem, limited venue when it comes to fine cusine I'd love to hear what
your favorite meal is at one of those excellent choices. In this entire
state I can't think of 2 excellent choices. I love the state, and I'm no
epicure, but even I can figure out that there has to be a menu with no
green chile out there somewhere.
Bernie


 
Date: 19 Dec 2006 11:03:11
From: Mike White
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

Mike White wrote:
> Jack Denver wrote:
> > The Lex takes you up the east side. Then you'd have to take a looong
> > crosstown bus ride to get the UWS. You'd want to take the Lex to 42nd st,
> > then the shuttle and then the 7th Ave line. Even on a local, actual time on
> > board train(s) would be no more than 1/2 hr. but then you have to walk from
> > where you live to the nearest subway stop, plus wait for the next train(s)
> > to come (x3) and then walk again from the subway to your destination. If
> > you are in the far east village ("Alphabet Town") you have a really long
> > walk just to get to the Lex (or to any subway for that matter) - could
> > easily be 15 mins right there. So door to door could easily be an hour and
> > sometimes more if there is a problem with the trains.
> >
> >
>
> Or you could take the L from 14th Street and 1st Ave and transfer to
> the ACE at 8th Ave. From here in Williamsburg Brooklyn I can get to
> the UWS in 30-45min.
>
> Sorry...had to chime in...


Oh and by the way, I also commuted from here in Brooklyn just to visit
John in Philly and it was worth the trip.



 
Date: 19 Dec 2006 11:00:41
From: Mike White
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

Jack Denver wrote:
> The Lex takes you up the east side. Then you'd have to take a looong
> crosstown bus ride to get the UWS. You'd want to take the Lex to 42nd st,
> then the shuttle and then the 7th Ave line. Even on a local, actual time on
> board train(s) would be no more than 1/2 hr. but then you have to walk from
> where you live to the nearest subway stop, plus wait for the next train(s)
> to come (x3) and then walk again from the subway to your destination. If
> you are in the far east village ("Alphabet Town") you have a really long
> walk just to get to the Lex (or to any subway for that matter) - could
> easily be 15 mins right there. So door to door could easily be an hour and
> sometimes more if there is a problem with the trains.
>
>

Or you could take the L from 14th Street and 1st Ave and transfer to
the ACE at 8th Ave. From here in Williamsburg Brooklyn I can get to
the UWS in 30-45min.

Sorry...had to chime in...



  
Date: 19 Dec 2006 18:04:45
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
1st ave stop is only 1 stop ahead of Williamsburg, so call it say 40 mins
from there. Then the C leaves you at say 86 and CPW, so if your friend
lives at 91st & Riverside you've got a long 10 block walk including 5 very
long crosstown blocks. Or wait for a crosstown bus (really not much faster
than walking). It could easily be 10- 15 min. walk from somewhere in the
E. Village to 14th & 1st plus another 10-15 from 86 & CPW to your friend's
house. So 1 hr door to door like the man said. Or more.



"Mike White" <Fajitapot@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166554841.904278.96360@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>
>>
>
> Or you could take the L from 14th Street and 1st Ave and transfer to
> the ACE at 8th Ave. From here in Williamsburg Brooklyn I can get to
> the UWS in 30-45min.
>
> Sorry...had to chime in...
>




   
Date: 19 Dec 2006 18:25:40
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:04:45 -0500, "Jack Denver"
<nunuvyer@netscape.net > wrote:

>1st ave stop is only 1 stop ahead of Williamsburg, so call it say 40 mins
>from there. Then the C leaves you at say 86 and CPW, so if your friend
>lives at 91st & Riverside you've got a long 10 block walk including 5 very
>long crosstown blocks. Or wait for a crosstown bus (really not much faster
>than walking). It could easily be 10- 15 min. walk from somewhere in the
>E. Village to 14th & 1st plus another 10-15 from 86 & CPW to your friend's
>house. So 1 hr door to door like the man said. Or more.
>


i'm not feeling so bad about my 30 mile, 40 minute commute. :) it
is a bit longer than the 26 mile, 24 minute commute to the mall,
though.


--barry "more stop lights"

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com


 
Date: 19 Dec 2006 07:28:07
From: Don C.
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

Moose wrote:
> Jack wrote:
>
> Two places you've really wanted to visit but felt 15 miles was too far to go?
> Wow, that's definitely a different mentality than ours in So. California.

Maybe if you think about it in terms of time investment it might even
up a bit.

My office is on the Main Line and I live out in Lansdowne. It takes me
35 to 45 minutes to get to work. I live exactly 5.4 miles from work.
By extrapolating, 12 miles could take an hour an a half.

When I lived in the East Village in NYC it would take about an hour to
get to my buddies' apartments on the upper west side (about 3 miles.)
We never even thought about traveling 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies
without luggage.



  
Date: 19 Dec 2006 12:37:47
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
It's partly time and partly a question of what you get for that time
investment. For the most part, the kind of retail they have in Chestnut Hill
duplicate what I'd find much closer to home - banks, pizza places,
Starbucks, etc. so you need some reason to make the trip. Hornall and
Penzeys tip the balance.

It's like the Guide Michelin's idea of a 3 star restaurant being "worth a
special trip" and 2 stars is "worth a detour", while a 1 star is "good if
you are in the neighborhood already". I'd say a 12 mile trip counts at
least as a "detour" if not a "special trip" so you need at least a 2 star
attraction and up until now Chestnut Hill didn't have any 2 star +
attractions (for me).


"Don C." <DonRCummings@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166542087.180092.119400@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Moose wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>
>> Two places you've really wanted to visit but felt 15 miles was too far to
>> go?
>> Wow, that's definitely a different mentality than ours in So. California.
>
> Maybe if you think about it in terms of time investment it might even
> up a bit.
>
> My office is on the Main Line and I live out in Lansdowne. It takes me
> 35 to 45 minutes to get to work. I live exactly 5.4 miles from work.
> By extrapolating, 12 miles could take an hour an a half.
>
> When I lived in the East Village in NYC it would take about an hour to
> get to my buddies' apartments on the upper west side (about 3 miles.)
> We never even thought about traveling 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies
> without luggage.
>




  
Date: 19 Dec 2006 17:24:03
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On 19 Dec 2006 07:28:07 -0800, "Don C." <DonRCummings@gmail.com >
wrote:

>When I lived in the East Village in NYC it would take about an hour to
>get to my buddies' apartments on the upper west side (about 3 miles.)
>We never even thought about traveling 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies
>without luggage.

How's that? Even starting on the dreaded Lexington Line local, Bleeker
to W. 96th St. shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.

shall "stays with cousins near City Hall"


   
Date: 19 Dec 2006 13:05:42
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
The Lex takes you up the east side. Then you'd have to take a looong
crosstown bus ride to get the UWS. You'd want to take the Lex to 42nd st,
then the shuttle and then the 7th Ave line. Even on a local, actual time on
board train(s) would be no more than 1/2 hr. but then you have to walk from
where you live to the nearest subway stop, plus wait for the next train(s)
to come (x3) and then walk again from the subway to your destination. If
you are in the far east village ("Alphabet Town") you have a really long
walk just to get to the Lex (or to any subway for that matter) - could
easily be 15 mins right there. So door to door could easily be an hour and
sometimes more if there is a problem with the trains.



"shall" <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote in message
news:qs7go2lpiv5e2n0259sfr9olf4rkfj13nl@4ax.com...
> On 19 Dec 2006 07:28:07 -0800, "Don C." <DonRCummings@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>When I lived in the East Village in NYC it would take about an hour to
>>get to my buddies' apartments on the upper west side (about 3 miles.)
>>We never even thought about traveling 10 or 12 miles as the crow flies
>>without luggage.
>
> How's that? Even starting on the dreaded Lexington Line local, Bleeker
> to W. 96th St. shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour.
>
> shall "stays with cousins near City Hall"




 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 22:04:23
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

ramboorider@gmail.com wrote:
> Either of those dates work fine for me. Did John suggest a time that
> they're relatively less busy and he might be able to hang and talk a
> bit?
>
> -Ray
>
> On Dec 18, 7:09 pm, stan.sh...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Thought I'd try a few Saturday dates first.
> > Jan 13 or Jan 27?
> > Post what works for you. I'll try to compile a consensus date.
> > BTW if anyone is taking the train from suburban station or 30th st
> > station in Philly, John's shop is a hundred feet or so from the R8
> > Chestnut Hill Local.
> > shall and CoffeeKid - I think you take the train thru Chicago then
> > to Philly.
> > Stan
Of course I didn't ask, but I'll check with John on Saturday for a good
time bloack.
Stan



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 18:07:11
From: ramboorider@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
Either of those dates work fine for me. Did John suggest a time that
they're relatively less busy and he might be able to hang and talk a
bit?

-Ray

On Dec 18, 7:09 pm, stan.sh...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thought I'd try a few Saturday dates first.
> Jan 13 or Jan 27?
> Post what works for you. I'll try to compile a consensus date.
> BTW if anyone is taking the train from suburban station or 30th st
> station in Philly, John's shop is a hundred feet or so from the R8
> Chestnut Hill Local.
> shall and CoffeeKid - I think you take the train thru Chicago then
> to Philly.
> Stan



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 16:09:38
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

ramboorider@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 18, 11:01 am, "Jack Denver" <nunuv...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > I'm in. I've been meaning to take the trip from the Main Line to Chestnut
> > Hill but I never seem to get over there. I really want to see the Penzey's
> > spice shop also. They're very close as the crow flies but by road there's
> > this river in between and you can't get there from here. Well you can, but
> > it's a lot farther than it should be and there's no direct highway. No far
> > by the great wide open spaces of the West standards (10 or 12 miles) but a
> > vast distance according to the Philadephia mentality where crossing the
> > street might put you in a different neighborhood.
>
> That's hilarious. I remember when we first moved back to the Philly
> area from Seattle, we were getting to know some new neighbors and asked
> them, "so, are you folks from around here"? To which they replied, "Oh
> no, we're from Downingtown and Bryn Mawr", which are just essentially
> slightly different urbs than the one we're in. ALL the way to
> Downingtown is at least a 10 minute drive - nowhere near HERE. Slightly
> different geographic mentality than I was used to living most of my
> life in the west. But now I'm pretty well bought in.
>
> I'm in West Chester, btw, so we could probably carpool once we all
> agree on a time.
>
> -Ray

Thought I'd try a few Saturday dates first.
Jan 13 or Jan 27?
Post what works for you. I'll try to compile a consensus date.
BTW if anyone is taking the train from suburban station or 30th st
station in Philly, John's shop is a hundred feet or so from the R8
Chestnut Hill Local.
shall and CoffeeKid - I think you take the train thru Chicago then
to Philly.
Stan



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 11:44:29
From: ramboorider@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On Dec 18, 11:01 am, "Jack Denver" <nunuv...@netscape.net > wrote:
> I'm in. I've been meaning to take the trip from the Main Line to Chestnut
> Hill but I never seem to get over there. I really want to see the Penzey's
> spice shop also. They're very close as the crow flies but by road there's
> this river in between and you can't get there from here. Well you can, but
> it's a lot farther than it should be and there's no direct highway. No far
> by the great wide open spaces of the West standards (10 or 12 miles) but a
> vast distance according to the Philadephia mentality where crossing the
> street might put you in a different neighborhood.

That's hilarious. I remember when we first moved back to the Philly
area from Seattle, we were getting to know some new neighbors and asked
them, "so, are you folks from around here"? To which they replied, "Oh
no, we're from Downingtown and Bryn Mawr", which are just essentially
slightly different urbs than the one we're in. ALL the way to
Downingtown is at least a 10 minute drive - nowhere near HERE. Slightly
different geographic mentality than I was used to living most of my
life in the west. But now I'm pretty well bought in.

I'm in West Chester, btw, so we could probably carpool once we all
agree on a time.

-Ray



 
Date: 18 Dec 2006 11:01:03
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
I'm in. I've been meaning to take the trip from the Main Line to Chestnut
Hill but I never seem to get over there. I really want to see the Penzey's
spice shop also. They're very close as the crow flies but by road there's
this river in between and you can't get there from here. Well you can, but
it's a lot farther than it should be and there's no direct highway. No far
by the great wide open spaces of the West standards (10 or 12 miles) but a
vast distance according to the Philadephia mentality where crossing the
street might put you in a different neighborhood. This will provide a
excuse.


Please post when you'll be doing this. If anyone else is coming from the
West/South I'm a mile off the Blue Route near Villanova. Lemme know and
maybe we can carpool.



<stan.shire@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166378505.807937.100260@16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...
> Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
> shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
> go with Silvia)
> I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
> holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
> out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
> some shots with the 4 group Linea.
> Anyone else interested?
> Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
> Stan
>




  
Date: 19 Dec 2006 02:56:24
From: Moose
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
Jack wrote:
> I've been meaning to take the trip from the Main Line to Chestnut
>Hill but I never seem to get over there. I really want to see the Penzey's
>spice shop also. They're very close as the crow flies but by road there's
>this river in between and you can't get there from here. Well you can, but
>it's a lot farther than it should be and there's no direct highway. No far
>by the great wide open spaces of the West standards (10 or 12 miles) but a
>vast distance according to the Philadephia mentality where crossing the
>street might put you in a different neighborhood.

Two places you've really wanted to visit but felt 15 miles was too far to go?
Wow, that's definitely a different mentality than ours in So. California.


 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 23:35:36
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
You can count me in. Let me know when you plan it for. Hopefully I
won't be out of town.

stan.shire@gmail.com wrote:
> Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
> shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
> go with Silvia)
> I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
> holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
> out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
> some shots with the 4 group Linea.
> Anyone else interested?
> Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
> Stan



 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 22:16:35
From: cpl593h
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
I was in Philly in August. While I was there I hung out at Hornall's
shop two days in a row. It was AWESOME. Chestnut Hill Coffee Co. is the
real deal.

Some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpl593h/sets/72157594270743159/



  
Date: 18 Dec 2006 15:25:10
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On 17 Dec 2006 22:16:35 -0800, "cpl593h" <CPL593H@gmail.com > wrote:

>I was in Philly in August. While I was there I hung out at Hornall's
>shop two days in a row. It was AWESOME. Chestnut Hill Coffee Co. is the
>real deal.
>
>Some photos:
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpl593h/sets/72157594270743159/

What a beautiful shop! I had no idea.

shall


   
Date: 19 Dec 2006 19:17:59
From: Ken Wilson
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
"shall"

>
> What a beautiful shop! I had no idea.


That window looks rather spiffing.

ken




  
Date: 18 Dec 2006 10:18:48
From: Karen Giesen
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

"cpl593h" <CPL593H@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1166422595.867398.163430@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
>I was in Philly in August. While I was there I hung out at Hornall's
> shop two days in a row. It was AWESOME. Chestnut Hill Coffee Co. is the
> real deal.
>
> Some photos:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/cpl593h/sets/72157594270743159/
>
nice photos, I live in Lehigh Co. and will definitely have to make a trip
there soon.




 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 14:37:17
From:
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

CoffeeKid wrote:
> shall wrote:
> >
> > If I lived within 150 miles, I'd go.
> >
> > shall "3,000 miles away"
>
> Ditto - I'm what, 7,000kms away :(
>
> I miss Jonnie Nitro.
>
> k

I'll put up a list of dates tomorrow. Let's see what works for all.
Stan



 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 13:24:41
From: CoffeeKid
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall

shall wrote:
>
> If I lived within 150 miles, I'd go.
>
> shall "3,000 miles away"

Ditto - I'm what, 7,000kms away :(

I miss Jonnie Nitro.

k



 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 13:14:38
From: Don C.
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
I'm definitely up for it! I recently moved back to Philly after 10
years in exile and have yet to scope out the coffee shops in town.

Chestnut Hill is one that I've been intending to hit.

stan.shire@gmail.com wrote:
> Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
> shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
> go with Silvia)
> I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
> holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
> out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
> some shots with the 4 group Linea.
> Anyone else interested?
> Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
> Stan



 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 21:03:04
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On 17 Dec 2006 10:01:45 -0800, stan.shire@gmail.com wrote:

>Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
>shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
>go with Silvia)
>I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
>holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
>out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
>some shots with the 4 group Linea.
>Anyone else interested?
>Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
>Stan

If I lived within 150 miles, I'd go.

shall "3,000 miles away"


  
Date: 18 Dec 2006 08:57:02
From: bernie
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
shall wrote:
> On 17 Dec 2006 10:01:45 -0800, stan.shire@gmail.com wrote:
>
>
>>Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
>>shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to
>>go with Silvia)
>>I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
>>holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
>>out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull
>>some shots with the 4 group Linea.
>>Anyone else interested?
>>Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet.
>>Stan
>
>
> If I lived within 150 miles, I'd go.
>
> shall "3,000 miles away"

Make a road trip out of it, shall. Stop by New Mexico and I'll
hitch a ride. Mind if I bring my banjo? I'll serenade you across America
with an out-of-tune (insert banjo joke here) banjo.
Bernie


 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 11:17:55
From: ramboorider@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On Dec 17, 2:00 pm, Godzilla <Godzi...@monsters.org > wrote:
> Yes, I am interested. Would you object to telling us what city this is in?
>
> Godzilla

North part of Philadelphia. I'm there!

Although I'm pretty happy with the Silvia shots I've been getting, they
took a huge leap forward after I stopped into John's shop a few weeks
ago and watched the baristas (John wasn't there) pull a few shots and
check out their whole dose, distribute, tamp technique. Now that I'm
getting more consistent results, I'd love to spend some time picking
John's brain a bit and just watch the masters. It'd be good to meet
some other AC folks too. Maybe some of us newbies can start a support
group :)

-Ray



 
Date: 17 Dec 2006 13:00:26
From: Godzilla
Subject: Re: Invitation from John Hornall
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:01:45 -0800, stan.shire wrote:

> Just stopped at Chestnut Hill Coffee Co for my "John Hornall dope slap"
> shot. (that's where John pulls a shot and I realize how far I have to go
> with Silvia)
> I have discussed (off list) meeting there with Ramboorider after the
> holidays. John said he'd love it if some alt.coffee folks came to hang
> out. The other baristi thought it would be great. Maybe we can pull some
> shots with the 4 group Linea.
> Anyone else interested?
> Let me know and we can set up Saturday or Sunday meet. Stan

Yes, I am interested. Would you object to telling us what city this is in?

Godzilla



  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject:


  
Date:
From:
Subject: