coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 03 Mar 2007 13:46:40
From: BillK
Subject: McD's vs Starbucks et al
FYI, from ch Consumer Reports.

My favorite brewed coffee is *my* coffee, or some of the really nice
coffees I have had in coffee house Clover machines. Cross-country
auto travel is something we do a lot, and is a difficult coffee
experience. So, we take note of reviews of coffee at large chains.

I could not agree more on the McD's vs Starbucks comparison, below.
McDs is drinkable, if fresh. My palate simply cannot deal with
Starbucks for the reasons Consumer Reports states. The light and
bright Costa Rica blend at Panera's is my preferred cross-country
travel coffee, if available and fresh.

------------------------------------------------------------

Starbucks wars

Four cups of coffee
MCDONALD'S WINS Its premium coffee was strong, like Starbucks, but
tasted better, our testers said.
Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for "double-
caramel skim half-caf macchiato" before they've even had their jolt of
joe, Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, and McDonald's have been boosting
their coffee cachet.

McDonald's Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to "wake up and
smell your life" with a "richer, bolder" coffee; BK Joe suggests that
you "wake up with the King"; Dunkin' Donuts touts its usual coffee,
but with more flavors and attitude. "My mouth can't form these words,"
customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy
shop: Himan plu cento, for one.

We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors,
milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald's beat the rest. Our
trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill
the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest
thing to a medium cup).

McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it
lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had
no flaws.

Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water.
It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.

Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks.
It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin'
beans at home, you can make it stronger.)

Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your
eyes water instead of open.

CR's take. Try McDonald's, which was cheapest and best, or make your
own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all
only OK, but for different reasons.





 
Date: 04 Mar 2007 21:09:26
From:
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
In my world, trash begets trash, but the only differences I see are in
the amounts reckless consumers are willing to pay for the abuse. From
49 cent hamburgers to Grande Mocha Caramel Latte Crap-achinos for
$4.79, it's all the same health compromising horseshit to me.

However, whatever they're serving, I give credit to Starbucks for
holding their employees to a much higher standard ... the very secret
to their success. I mean, I have the frequency of one of their local
drive-thru windows programmed into my scanner, and believe me, the
kids running the expensive show aren't stupid crack users.

And do yourselves a favor ... unless you know exactly where to get it
along the way, skip the roadside guessing game at your own expense
when you travel ... pack a four cup coffee maker with everything else
you need, and brew the days supply with purified water in your own
hotel room. Who can make a better cup for less?



 
Date: 04 Mar 2007 10:47:03
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
CR's pricing is about 100% out of phase for MacDonalds - a senior
discount on small coffee (for all stores and if you're 55) is 80
cents, add to that (for *some* stores) your occupation (if you have an
occupation and it happens to coincide w/) . . . such as government
types, whom receive an additional 15% off. We're now at a 60-cent
small cup of coffee, which you can take back for addional
complimentary refills (while on the premises - don't be saving your 60-
cent cup and coming back tomorrow for more). Also, please ask your
courtesy cashier personel representative for the whitening creme -
creme's hidden behind the counter now, because, at MacDonalds, some
customers will steal anything left out that's not mortared into the
floor.

On 3, 4:46 pm, "BillK" <rcgol...@gmail.com > wrote:
> FYI, from ch Consumer Reports.
>
> My favorite brewed coffee is *my* coffee, or some of the really nice
> coffees I have had in coffee house Clover machines. Cross-country
> auto travel is something we do a lot, and is a difficult coffee
> experience. So, we take note of reviews of coffee at large chains.
>
> I could not agree more on the McD's vs Starbucks comparison, below.
> McDs is drinkable, if fresh. My palate simply cannot deal with
> Starbucks for the reasons Consumer Reports states. The light and
> bright Costa Rica blend at Panera's is my preferred cross-country
> travel coffee, if available and fresh.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Starbucks wars
>
> Four cups of coffee
> MCDONALD'S WINS Its premium coffee was strong, like Starbucks, but
> tasted better, our testers said.
> Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for "double-
> caramel skim half-caf macchiato" before they've even had their jolt of
> joe, Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, and McDonald's have been boosting
> their coffee cachet.
>
> McDonald's Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to "wake up and
> smell your life" with a "richer, bolder" coffee; BK Joe suggests that
> you "wake up with the King"; Dunkin' Donuts touts its usual coffee,
> but with more flavors and attitude. "My mouth can't form these words,"
> customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy
> shop: Himan plu cento, for one.
>
> We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors,
> milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald's beat the rest. Our
> trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill
> the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest
> thing to a medium cup).
>
> McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it
> lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had
> no flaws.
>
> Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water.
> It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.
>
> Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks.
> It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin'
> beans at home, you can make it stronger.)
>
> Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your
> eyes water instead of open.
>
> CR's take. Try McDonald's, which was cheapest and best, or make your
> own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all
> only OK, but for different reasons.



 
Date: 03 Mar 2007 19:38:05
From: daveb
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On 3, 4:46 pm, "BillK" <rcgol...@gmail.com > wrote:
> FYI, from ch Consumer Reports.
>
> My favorite brewed coffee is *my* coffee, or some of the really nice
> coffees I have had in coffee house Clover machines. Cross-country
> auto travel is something we do a lot, and is a difficult coffee
> experience. So, we take note of reviews of coffee at large chains.
>
> I could not agree more on the McD's vs Starbucks comparison, below.
> McDs is drinkable, if fresh. My palate simply cannot deal with
> Starbucks for the reasons Consumer Reports states. The light and
> bright Costa Rica blend at Panera's is my preferred cross-country
> travel coffee, if available and fresh.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Starbucks wars
>
> Four cups of coffee
> MCDONALD'S WINS Its premium coffee was strong, like Starbucks, but
> tasted better, our testers said.
> Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for "double-
> caramel skim half-caf macchiato" before they've even had their jolt of
> joe, Burger King, Dunkin' Donuts, and McDonald's have been boosting
> their coffee cachet.
>
> McDonald's Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to "wake up and
> smell your life" with a "richer, bolder" coffee; BK Joe suggests that
> you "wake up with the King"; Dunkin' Donuts touts its usual coffee,
> but with more flavors and attitude. "My mouth can't form these words,"
> customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy
> shop: Himan plu cento, for one.
>
> We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors,
> milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald's beat the rest. Our
> trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill
> the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest
> thing to a medium cup).
>
> McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it
> lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had
> no flaws.
>
> Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water.
> It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.
>
> Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks.
> It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin'
> beans at home, you can make it stronger.)
>
> Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your
> eyes water instead of open.
>
> CR's take. Try McDonald's, which was cheapest and best, or make your
> own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all
> only OK, but for different reasons.

old news



 
Date: 03 Mar 2007 17:28:18
From: dcrehr
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On 3, 3:46 pm, shall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>You have to request the Premium cup
> to get it.

I did not find this to be the case at any of the few McD's I have
visited. The "premium" coffee is their new coffee. I didn't see two-
tier lesser-better-quality coffees on the menu board.

Only OK to my taste buds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Burger King, selling Douwe-
Egbert "Cafitesse" under its "BK JOE" name is consistently the best
road coffee for the money at any of the chains. I don't know what
those Consumer Reports people were tasting.

DR






  
Date: 04 Mar 2007 02:42:09
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On 3 2007 17:28:18 -0800, "dcrehr" <dcrehr@hotmail.com > wrote:

>On 3, 3:46 pm, shall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>You have to request the Premium cup
>> to get it.
>
>I did not find this to be the case at any of the few McD's I have
>visited. The "premium" coffee is their new coffee. I didn't see two-
>tier lesser-better-quality coffees on the menu board.
>
>Only OK to my taste buds.
>
>I've said it before and I'll say it again. Burger King, selling Douwe-
>Egbert "Cafitesse" under its "BK JOE" name is consistently the best
>road coffee for the money at any of the chains. I don't know what
>those Consumer Reports people were tasting.
>
>DR

I ordered it in Sherman Oaks where the coffees were offered at two
prices in two different style cups. I can't tell from your post which
coffee you had. Did it come in a cup that said "Premium?" If not, it
probably wasn't. It may be that some franchisees are not participating
in the program.

shall


   
Date: 04 Mar 2007 03:20:55
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On Sun, 04 2007 02:42:09 GMT, shall
<mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>On 3 2007 17:28:18 -0800, "dcrehr" <dcrehr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 3, 3:46 pm, shall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>>You have to request the Premium cup
>>> to get it.
>>
>>I did not find this to be the case at any of the few McD's I have
>>visited. The "premium" coffee is their new coffee. I didn't see two-
>>tier lesser-better-quality coffees on the menu board.
>>
>>Only OK to my taste buds.
>>
>>I've said it before and I'll say it again. Burger King, selling Douwe-
>>Egbert "Cafitesse" under its "BK JOE" name is consistently the best
>>road coffee for the money at any of the chains. I don't know what
>>those Consumer Reports people were tasting.
>>
>>DR
>
>I ordered it in Sherman Oaks where the coffees were offered at two
>prices in two different style cups. I can't tell from your post which
>coffee you had. Did it come in a cup that said "Premium?" If not, it
>probably wasn't. It may be that some franchisees are not participating
>in the program.
>
>shall

I should add that I had the Premium coffee when it first came out last
spring. I'm not a regular Mickey D customer, and it's possible they
discontinued the old coffees.

shall


 
Date: 03 Mar 2007 17:29:17
From: notbob
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On 2007-03-03, BillK <rcgolfer@gmail.com > wrote:

> bright Costa Rica blend at Panera's is my preferred cross-country
> travel coffee, if available and fresh.

Strange, on my recent trip ...see "starbucks high horse" thread.... we
stopped at McD just once. Never again. Undrinkable drek requiring
immediate dumping of remaining crud. Never again.

nb


  
Date: 03 Mar 2007 23:46:53
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: McD's vs Starbucks et al
On Sat, 03 2007 17:29:17 -0600, notbob <notbob@nothome.com > wrote:

>On 2007-03-03, BillK <rcgolfer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> bright Costa Rica blend at Panera's is my preferred cross-country
>> travel coffee, if available and fresh.
>
>Strange, on my recent trip ...see "starbucks high horse" thread.... we
>stopped at McD just once. Never again. Undrinkable drek requiring
>immediate dumping of remaining crud. Never again.
>
>nb

The CR article reviewed McD's "Premium" coffee, which is roasted by
different vendors in different regions (Green Mountain in New England,
Gavina on the West Coast, etc.). You have to request the Premium cup
to get it. I found the local Gavina version to be quite drinkable.
It's not Esmeralda. But, then it's not priced like Esmeralda, and it's
much easier to find!

I don't know who the roaster is for the Mountain states or if all the
franchises are participating.

shall