coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 02 Nov 2006 22:43:32
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Melitta Clarity
I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I share
information because that's what this group is all about.

Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to have
any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a backup
also.

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan

Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.




 
Date: 03 Nov 2006 10:10:26
From: RoqueJa
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:43:32 GMT, Robert Harmon
<r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote:

>I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I share
>information because that's what this group is all about.
>
>Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to have
>any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
>ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a backup
>also.
>
>http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan
>
>Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon


I own a Clarity and a Presto Scandinavian. In my hands it's not even a
close call; I greatly prefer the Scandinavian. And, it's a better
looking machine. I know others disagree, but few if any of them have
used both over a long period of time. I have one in my office and one
in my kitchen. Use them both regularly often with the same coffees.

Even if it's a draw on quality, I'd recommend the presto because it's
still produced and parts (like the glass carafe) are available. Was a
time you could pick up remaindered Clarities for <$20. That was a
deal, but at $20 more than a Scandinavian (last time I check they went
for under 50), well.... your call.

Also -- alert, heresy ahead -- the low temp warming plate on the PS
does a pretty good job holding coffee for 20min or so.




  
Date: 03 Nov 2006 15:30:40
From: Cordovero
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
I have a Clarity and I used to have a Scandinavian. I liked that the Presto
was more compact, but it died after less than 4 months of light use. I took
it apart and couldn't find a loose connection or anything. That was a
disappointment.

Also, you praise the Presto for still being made. I'm pretty sure it got
discontinued a few months back.

C




  
Date: 03 Nov 2006 13:16:09
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

"RoqueJa" <no-email.com > wrote in message
news:431nk2poupv6u7jarcn7lan3utlvfbikcr@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:43:32 GMT, Robert Harmon
> <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I
>>share
>>information because that's what this group is all about.
>>
>>Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to
>>have
>>any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
>>ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a
>>backup
>>also.
>>
>>http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan
>>
>>Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon
>
>
> I own a Clarity and a Presto Scandinavian. In my hands it's not even a
> close call; I greatly prefer the Scandinavian. And, it's a better
> looking machine. I know others disagree, but few if any of them have
> used both over a long period of time. I have one in my office and one
> in my kitchen. Use them both regularly often with the same coffees.
>
> Even if it's a draw on quality, I'd recommend the presto because it's
> still produced and parts (like the glass carafe) are available. Was a
> time you could pick up remaindered Clarities for <$20. That was a
> deal, but at $20 more than a Scandinavian (last time I check they went
> for under 50), well.... your call.
>
> Also -- alert, heresy ahead -- the low temp warming plate on the PS
> does a pretty good job holding coffee for 20min or so.
>
>

Hmmm, I've read reports that the Presto is just a cheap plastic POS that
has started to fall apart in less than a years service & used only
sporadically over the duration of each week..
Craig.



   
Date: 04 Nov 2006 13:47:36
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:4r1fb1Fp1re8U1@individual.net...
>
> "RoqueJa" <no-email.com> wrote in message
> news:431nk2poupv6u7jarcn7lan3utlvfbikcr@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 22:43:32 GMT, Robert Harmon
>> <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I
>>>share
>>>information because that's what this group is all about.
>>>
>>>Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to
>>>have
>>>any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
>>>ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a
>>>backup
>>>also.
>>>
>>>http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan
>>>
>>>Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon
>>
>>
>> I own a Clarity and a Presto Scandinavian. In my hands it's not even
>> a
>> close call; I greatly prefer the Scandinavian. And, it's a better
>> looking machine. I know others disagree, but few if any of them have
>> used both over a long period of time. I have one in my office and one
>> in my kitchen. Use them both regularly often with the same coffees.
>>
>> Even if it's a draw on quality, I'd recommend the presto because it's
>> still produced and parts (like the glass carafe) are available. Was a
>> time you could pick up remaindered Clarities for <$20. That was a
>> deal, but at $20 more than a Scandinavian (last time I check they
>> went
>> for under 50), well.... your call.
>>
>> Also -- alert, heresy ahead -- the low temp warming plate on the PS
>> does a pretty good job holding coffee for 20min or so.
>>
>>
>
> Hmmm, I've read reports that the Presto is just a cheap plastic POS
> that has started to fall apart in less than a years service & used
> only sporadically over the duration of each week..
> Craig.

Please read this thread:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/244776
Craig.



    
Date: 07 Nov 2006 23:11:03
From: VicTek
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

> Please read this thread:
> http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/244776
> Craig.
Thanks for the link. I decided to buy a Presto Drip machine from Sears
since the price is so low. It doesn't look or feel "cheap" to me and it
makes very good coffee. Regarding durability, only time will tell.




   
Date: 03 Nov 2006 13:02:20
From: RoqueJa
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:16:09 -0500, "Craig Andrews"
<alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote:

>
>"RoqueJa" <no-email.com> wrote in message
>news:431nk2poupv6u7jarcn7lan3utlvfbikcr@4ax.com...

>>
>> I own a Clarity and a Presto Scandinavian. In my hands it's not even a
>> close call; I greatly prefer the Scandinavian. And, it's a better
>> looking machine. I know others disagree, but few if any of them have
>> used both over a long period of time. I have one in my office and one
>> in my kitchen. Use them both regularly often with the same coffees.
>>
>> Even if it's a draw on quality, I'd recommend the presto because it's
>> still produced and parts (like the glass carafe) are available. Was a
>> time you could pick up remaindered Clarities for <$20. That was a
>> deal, but at $20 more than a Scandinavian (last time I check they went
>> for under 50), well.... your call.
>>
>> Also -- alert, heresy ahead -- the low temp warming plate on the PS
>> does a pretty good job holding coffee for 20min or so.
>>
>>
>
>Hmmm, I've read reports that the Presto is just a cheap plastic POS that
>has started to fall apart in less than a years service & used only
>sporadically over the duration of each week..
>Craig.


As I said, "I know others disagree." But that hasn't been my
experience at all.

OTOH, my melitta clarity has all sorts of fit and finish issues.
Hasn't stopped working but the lid is cranky about closing and the
thing leaks onto the hot plate all the time.

One thing I really don't like about the Clarity is that it has no auto
shut off. Maybe no big thing to those who have the PayAttention gene,
but that one wasn't in my cards when the DNA was shuffled and dealt.

But, most important, the day will come when I break the damn carafe
and none of it matters. Of course, I only paid $16 for the thing.
Worth every penny. But $69+shipping. No way. I'd say save your pennies
and get the real thing from Holland where they really understand
quality (but you pay for it).




    
Date: 03 Nov 2006 18:10:00
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
In <j3bnk215k6s53actg87a0rqpvnotmaf0qf@4ax.com >, on Fri, 03 Nov 2006
13:02:20 -0800, RoqueJa wrote:

> As I said, "I know others disagree." But that hasn't been my
> experience at all.
>
> OTOH, my melitta clarity has all sorts of fit and finish issues.
> Hasn't stopped working but the lid is cranky about closing and the
> thing leaks onto the hot plate all the time.

If you'd paid attention, you would have noticed the
"take a cup before it's ready" valve is pushed up
further when the pot is pulled to the edge of the
hot plate than when it's centered. I did have some
leakage the first pot or two until I paid attention
to see why.

> One thing I really don't like about the Clarity is that it has no auto
> shut off.

Yeah, me too. I just opened 'er up and disconnected.

>Maybe no big thing to those who have the PayAttention gene,
> but that one wasn't in my cards when the DNA was shuffled and dealt.

Ahhhhh... ok. In that case, let me reiterate. If
you can make it a habit to pull the pot to the edge of
the hotplate, the leak problem will no longer afflict
you.



 
Date: 02 Nov 2006 23:49:39
From: Cordovero
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
There was a huge lot of like a thousand remaindered Clarity's -- condition
not guaranteed-- sold on Ebay last year. I wonder if Abe's was the winning
bidder?

C

"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:Xns986FAA270BDDCrhharmonZhotmailcom@207.217.125.201...
>I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I share
> information because that's what this group is all about.
>
> Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to have
> any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
> ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a backup
> also.
>
> http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan
>
> Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon
> --
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
> Remove "Z" to reply via email.




  
Date: 03 Nov 2006 10:01:39
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

"Cordovero" <cordoveroremovexxx@yahooxxx.com > wrote in message
news:eiesap$rcr$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
> There was a huge lot of like a thousand remaindered Clarity's --
> condition not guaranteed-- sold on Ebay last year. I wonder if Abe's
> was the winning bidder?
>
> C
>

Seeing as Robert doesn't have the courtesy of a reply to me, fine.. Yes
I saved that link for a long time. I remember that very well & watched
the bid & was tempted myself. It said something like some missing boxes,
some water damaged, some customer returns. A big stretch rapped skid of
'em! {:-D
Craig.



   
Date: 03 Nov 2006 16:00:54
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in
news:4r13uaFotf3nU1@individual.net:

>
> "Cordovero" <cordoveroremovexxx@yahooxxx.com> wrote in message
> news:eiesap$rcr$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
>> There was a huge lot of like a thousand remaindered Clarity's --
>> condition not guaranteed-- sold on Ebay last year. I wonder if Abe's
>> was the winning bidder?
>>
>> C
>>
>
> Seeing as Robert doesn't have the courtesy of a reply to me, fine.. Yes
> I saved that link for a long time. I remember that very well & watched
> the bid & was tempted myself. It said something like some missing boxes,
> some water damaged, some customer returns. A big stretch rapped skid of
> 'em! {:-D
> Craig.
>

Whoa Nelly! No slap in the face intended by the lack of a reply to what I
considered.a rhetorical posting.

Robert (Chill out, dude!) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.


   
Date: 03 Nov 2006 10:58:32
From: Moka Java
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity
Craig Andrews wrote:
>
> "Cordovero" <cordoveroremovexxx@yahooxxx.com> wrote in message
> news:eiesap$rcr$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
>
>> There was a huge lot of like a thousand remaindered Clarity's --
>> condition not guaranteed-- sold on Ebay last year. I wonder if Abe's
>> was the winning bidder?
>>
>> C
>>
>
> Seeing as Robert doesn't have the courtesy of a reply to me, fine.. Yes
> I saved that link for a long time. I remember that very well & watched
> the bid & was tempted myself. It said something like some missing boxes,
> some water damaged, some customer returns. A big stretch rapped skid of
> 'em! {:-D
> Craig.


A couple of years ago the Clarity was being closed out for < $20 on
Amazon and other sites. I bought a bunch and gave them out as gifts.
There"s at least 1, maybe 2 still in my attic. Even at $70 it's
something of a bargain for a drip brewer that actually brews at ~195 f.
Only drawback is the warming plate will boil the coffee if you leave
it there for more than a few minutes. OTOH, I don't much care for Abe's
of ME as a dealer. They're not in Maine, unless there's a part of
downtown Brooklyn that's known as Maine. Anyway, about 5 years ago Abe
screwed me around on a camera he had no intention of delivering.

R "I don't like filtered coffee" TF


    
Date: 03 Nov 2006 11:14:50
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

"Moka Java" <rtwatches@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:4r1799Fp43v6U1@individual.net...
> Craig Andrews wrote:
>>
>> "Cordovero" <cordoveroremovexxx@yahooxxx.com> wrote in message
>> news:eiesap$rcr$1@news.Stanford.EDU...
>>
>>> There was a huge lot of like a thousand remaindered Clarity's --
>>> condition not guaranteed-- sold on Ebay last year. I wonder if
>>> Abe's was the winning bidder?
>>>
>>> C
>>>
>>
>> Seeing as Robert doesn't have the courtesy of a reply to me, fine..
>> Yes I saved that link for a long time. I remember that very well &
>> watched the bid & was tempted myself. It said something like some
>> missing boxes, some water damaged, some customer returns. A big
>> stretch rapped skid of 'em! {:-D
>> Craig.
>
>
> A couple of years ago the Clarity was being closed out for < $20 on
> Amazon and other sites. I bought a bunch and gave them out as gifts.
> There"s at least 1, maybe 2 still in my attic. Even at $70 it's
> something of a bargain for a drip brewer that actually brews at ~195
> f. Only drawback is the warming plate will boil the coffee if you
> leave it there for more than a few minutes. OTOH, I don't much care
> for Abe's of ME as a dealer. They're not in Maine, unless there's a
> part of downtown Brooklyn that's known as Maine. Anyway, about 5
> years ago Abe screwed me around on a camera he had no intention of
> delivering.
>
> R "I don't like filtered coffee" TF


I haven't used mine in a while, but I remember temps in the carafe @
something like 185 - 190F, perfect! None of that 160F crap, haha! It
only sat there for no longer than 1 minute anyhoo..
Cheers,
Craig.



 
Date: 02 Nov 2006 19:44:45
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Melitta Clarity

"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:Xns986FAA270BDDCrhharmonZhotmailcom@207.217.125.201...
>I have no connection with the product or the store listed below. I
>share
> information because that's what this group is all about.
>
> Someone sent me this link to Abe's. I don't know how they happen to
> have
> any of these since Melitta no longer makes or supports the Clarity. I
> ordered two of these for me & I think my daughter is going to buy a
> backup
> also.
>
> http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=mlmesc10&l=Pricescan
>
> Robert (Melitta Clarity owner/user.) Harmon
> --
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
> Remove "Z" to reply via email.


That's truely amazing Rob, thanks for the link!
Craig.