coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 20 Oct 2006 10:59:30
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Melitta Momentum $40 10/20 only
www.woot.com has the Melitta Momentum storage tank (Bunn style) drip brewer
today only for $39.99 plus $5 shipping.

Claims "10 cups in less than 4 minutes". This is a low price for a tank
type brewer and the styling is better than some others. Naturally it uses
Melitta cone style filters. FYI only - I have no experience with this
device.

For those unfamiliar with woot, they sell one item each day (usually at a
price considerably lower than anywhere else) and have a fixed quantity on
hand, so the item can sell out at any point during the day. So if you are
interested don't wait.






 
Date: 27 Oct 2006 19:35:58
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Melitta Momentum $40 10/20 only
In <B4mdneRdurjOeaXYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@comcast.com >, on Fri, 20 Oct 2006
10:59:30 -0400, Jack Denver wrote:
> www.woot.com has the Melitta Momentum storage tank (Bunn style) drip brewer
> today only for $39.99 plus $5 shipping.
>
> Claims "10 cups in less than 4 minutes". This is a low price for a tank
> type brewer and the styling is better than some others. Naturally it uses
> Melitta cone style filters. FYI only - I have no experience with this
> device.

We bit. Something to do with it looking better than
the Bunn or some such nonsense. It got here today.

The brew temp is good; 200.8F out of the showerhead
when temp surfed for max (compare to 202F for our
Bunn A-10). I don't know yet what the minimum temp is.

Without any coffee in place, it takes 3:17 to push
50 oz. of water through the 110 fl. oz. tank (contrast
with 72 oz. tank for the Bunn A-10 series). With coffee
in place, you're looking at roughly a 4 minute brew time,
however the filter arrangement tends to keep dripping
for at least 2 minutes beyond that; something we don't
find with the Bunn.

Power consumption according to the data plate is
1075 watts. I'm assuming 1kw for the tank, and 75
watts for the keep-warm element. With nothing on it,
the warming plate varies from about 220F in the
center to about 280F a bit in from the edge. Like
the Bunn, the Momentum has a switch to turn this off
(unlike the Melitta Clarity which I disconnected
permanently).

Cycle time (start of cold water in until heating
element goes off) is 7:45; roughly same as the Bunn.
If you had a lot of guests, this could keep the
coffee flowing at a rate of 3 gallons per hour
(77 cups - that's 5 oz. cups).

One other feature is a valve that allows you to
pour the water in the upper resevoir, and allow it
to stay there until you're ready to brew. There's
no need for a separate filling pitcher as with the
Bunn pourovers. About the only use I can even
imagine for this is the ability to fill the upper
resevoir the night before, leaving one less bleary
eyed step for the morning.

One thing NOBODY seems to get right is leaving
enough headspace for freshly roasted coffee. My first
pot was a 4 day old blend of Colombian and Rwandan...
and it still bloomed enough to get foam and grounds up
over the edge of the inner filter holder, and even up
onto the shower head. (This same blend didn't bloom
over the Bunn filter this morning.)

The coffee tastes slightly different to me, but
maybe it's just the way the cone filter differs from
the flat bottom... or maybe the Melitta filters trap
more "good stuff" than the generic filters we use in
the Bunn.

The box says you can brew as few as 6 cups (30 oz.)
with this coffee maker... not that I'd ever try it,
but maybe it's a selling point for some. ;-)

Anyway, for $40, the Melitta Momentum meets quite a
few of the parameters that define a "good" coffee
maker... and apparently it looks good too. ;-)


  
Date: 09 Nov 2006 11:20:46
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Melitta Momentum $40 10/20 only
In <slrnek55vo.i05.steve@wizard.dyndns.org >, on Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:35:58
-0400, I wrote:

> One other feature is a valve that allows you to
> pour the water in the upper resevoir, and allow it
> to stay there until you're ready to brew. There's
> no need for a separate filling pitcher as with the
> Bunn pourovers. About the only use I can even
> imagine for this is the ability to fill the upper
> resevoir the night before, leaving one less bleary
> eyed step for the morning.

Correction: When brewing less than a full pot, you
can allow a cup or two of water to flow through and
thoroughly wet the grounds, stop the flow for a bit,
then reopen the valve, allowing for proper extraction
time.

Contrary to the directions accompanying the brewer
which give a pot size range of 6 to 10 cups,
interrupting the flow like that allows for a pot size
as small as 3-4 cups (15-20oz.)... not to mention,
allowing for longer than the normal extraction time
of 4 minutes for a full pot should you desire.


  
Date: 28 Oct 2006 08:59:44
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: Melitta Momentum $40 10/20 only
I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't do drip style coffee often enough to
justify keeping this thing on all the time, but it looked like a decent
alternative to the Bunn.



"Steve Ackman" <steve@SNIP-THIS.twoloonscoffee.com > wrote in message
news:slrnek55vo.i05.steve@wizard.dyndns.org...
> In <B4mdneRdurjOeaXYnZ2dnUVZ_s6dnZ2d@comcast.com>, on Fri, 20 Oct 2006
> 10:59:30 -0400, Jack Denver wrote:
>> www.woot.com has the Melitta Momentum storage tank (Bunn style) drip
>> brewer
>> today only for $39.99 plus $5 shipping.
>>
>> Claims "10 cups in less than 4 minutes". This is a low price for a tank
>> type brewer and the styling is better than some others. Naturally it
>> uses
>> Melitta cone style filters. FYI only - I have no experience with this
>> device.
>
> We bit. Something to do with it looking better than
> the Bunn or some such nonsense. It got here today.
>
> The brew temp is good; 200.8F out of the showerhead
> when temp surfed for max (compare to 202F for our
> Bunn A-10). I don't know yet what the minimum temp is.
>
> Without any coffee in place, it takes 3:17 to push
> 50 oz. of water through the 110 fl. oz. tank (contrast
> with 72 oz. tank for the Bunn A-10 series). With coffee
> in place, you're looking at roughly a 4 minute brew time,
> however the filter arrangement tends to keep dripping
> for at least 2 minutes beyond that; something we don't
> find with the Bunn.
>
> Power consumption according to the data plate is
> 1075 watts. I'm assuming 1kw for the tank, and 75
> watts for the keep-warm element. With nothing on it,
> the warming plate varies from about 220F in the
> center to about 280F a bit in from the edge. Like
> the Bunn, the Momentum has a switch to turn this off
> (unlike the Melitta Clarity which I disconnected
> permanently).
>
> Cycle time (start of cold water in until heating
> element goes off) is 7:45; roughly same as the Bunn.
> If you had a lot of guests, this could keep the
> coffee flowing at a rate of 3 gallons per hour
> (77 cups - that's 5 oz. cups).
>
> One other feature is a valve that allows you to
> pour the water in the upper resevoir, and allow it
> to stay there until you're ready to brew. There's
> no need for a separate filling pitcher as with the
> Bunn pourovers. About the only use I can even
> imagine for this is the ability to fill the upper
> resevoir the night before, leaving one less bleary
> eyed step for the morning.
>
> One thing NOBODY seems to get right is leaving
> enough headspace for freshly roasted coffee. My first
> pot was a 4 day old blend of Colombian and Rwandan...
> and it still bloomed enough to get foam and grounds up
> over the edge of the inner filter holder, and even up
> onto the shower head. (This same blend didn't bloom
> over the Bunn filter this morning.)
>
> The coffee tastes slightly different to me, but
> maybe it's just the way the cone filter differs from
> the flat bottom... or maybe the Melitta filters trap
> more "good stuff" than the generic filters we use in
> the Bunn.
>
> The box says you can brew as few as 6 cups (30 oz.)
> with this coffee maker... not that I'd ever try it,
> but maybe it's a selling point for some. ;-)
>
> Anyway, for $40, the Melitta Momentum meets quite a
> few of the parameters that define a "good" coffee
> maker... and apparently it looks good too. ;-)