coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 06 Mar 2007 15:32:30
From: lulu
Subject: Moka Pot VS Brikka Pot VS Espresso
Alright I've narrowed down the grinder thanks to those that provided
input into that discussion. Now to the body of the drink mechanics.
I enjoy my Moka coffee with milk and sugar - just like I enjoy my
tea. But I've been dallying with the idea of buying a cheap brikka
pot but am not sure if the rewards would be worth the extra buck. Are
there significant difference between the two brews? I realize one
produces a nice crema, but who cares if you're dunking the result in
cream and sugar. I would be most interested in the group's taste test
comparison.

Also, I have been thinking about a cheaper espresso machine instead
of the Brikka, such as the Gaggia Coffee or Saeco Aroma. It would
replace the Moka pot for most milk based drinks but instead of
aerating the milk, it would be used to steam. Curious would an
espresso such as these 2 machines be worthy replacements for someone
who doesn't enjoy straight espresso? Thank you! Lulu





 
Date:
From:
Subject:


 
Date: 07 Mar 2007 15:48:53
From: lulu
Subject: Re: Moka Pot VS Brikka Pot VS Espresso
Well John I would love to spoon out the extra $80 for the Brikka to
test but thn I feel those few bits of test funds could have been used
on a 'better?' machine. Tally in an extra $100 to get the Gaggia or
Saeco and it might give a cheaper thrill for the extra dig.

It's bang the coffee buck in comparison to my Moka and which affords
the better value. Especially for someone such as myself who drown
such things in rich deep sugars; Muscovada and yep at times thick as
limbs clotted cream. Lulu



 
Date: 07 Mar 2007 12:14:20
From: John S.
Subject: Re: Moka Pot VS Brikka Pot VS Espresso
On 6, 6:32 pm, "lulu" <bulliefor...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Alright I've narrowed down the grinder thanks to those that provided
> input into that discussion. Now to the body of the drink mechanics.
> I enjoy my Moka coffee with milk and sugar - just like I enjoy my
> tea. But I've been dallying with the idea of buying a cheap brikka
> pot but am not sure if the rewards would be worth the extra buck.

If it's a cheap Brikka then you would not need many rewards to offset
the low price. Try one with the realization that you will be making
moka pot coffee and not espresso.


> Are
> there significant difference between the two brews? I realize one
> produces a nice crema, but who cares if you're dunking the result in
> cream and sugar. I would be most interested in the group's taste test
> comparison.

Given the low cost you indicated why don't you do a side-by-side test
and report back the results. Could be fun....

>
> Also, I have been thinking about a cheaper espresso machine instead
> of the Brikka, such as the Gaggia Coffee or Saeco Aroma. It would
> replace the Moka pot for most milk based drinks but instead of
> aerating the milk, it would be used to steam. Curious would an
> espresso such as these 2 machines be worthy replacements for someone
> who doesn't enjoy straight espresso?

I'm not sure what you are asking for here.


Thank you! Lulu




 
Date: 06 Mar 2007 16:07:48
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: Moka Pot VS Brikka Pot VS Espresso
On 6, 6:32 pm, "lulu" <bulliefor...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Alright I've narrowed down the grinder thanks to those that provided
> input into that discussion. Now to the body of the drink mechanics.
> I enjoy my Moka coffee with milk and sugar - just like I enjoy my
> tea. But I've been dallying with the idea of buying a cheap brikka
> pot but am not sure if the rewards would be worth the extra buck. Are
> there significant difference between the two brews? I realize one
> produces a nice crema, but who cares if you're dunking the result in
> cream and sugar. I would be most interested in the group's taste test
> comparison.
>
> Also, I have been thinking about a cheaper espresso machine instead
> of the Brikka, such as the Gaggia Coffee or Saeco Aroma. It would
> replace the Moka pot for most milk based drinks but instead of
> aerating the milk, it would be used to steam. Curious would an
> espresso such as these 2 machines be worthy replacements for someone
> who doesn't enjoy straight espresso? Thank you! Lulu


I enjoy my food with peppers, hot and spicey, just like I enjoy my...
but, then, not everybody wants milk in coffee, either.

I don't know about the Brikka, although the cheaper espresso machine
sounds like a good idea to me. I'm not clear on what you're saying --
instead of aerating...used to steam -- sounds synonymous to me. Hot
and with air and not burnt milk is a universal fit to latte, as I
understand milk with coffee.

Your Moka pot may fall into disuse. They're very fast, espresso
machines, once the grinder is set up beside it to dose right into PF
handle. Fast dual-control thermometer heat up for either steam or
cofee extraction in a little boiler -- no sooner said than done. No
muss, no fuss. Set the drink aside, quick once-over to the shower
head with an bent toothbrush, and wipe-down the kitchen counter and
machine with a dishrag.

They're small drinks, though. Once I start, I keep going back for
more, to do it all over again (and cleaning up two or three times).
Still, take it over any stovetop pot any day. Other thing is coffee.
First order was 12 lbs. green. It was going to last forever unit
everything became faster. For the money, it's too good not to make the
next order 20 or 30 lbs. beans from half-a-dozen coffee regions.