coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 22 Oct 2006 22:49:17
From: SCD
Subject: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!

My beloved Silvia suddenly quit steaming milk tonight! A little hiss
and then nothing! Utter silence when I turn the steaming knob.

She will still make coffee?

Are there separate pumps or seals or ? Heater out? or ?

She has worked so well for 3 years 2-3 times a day.

I'm in the SF Bay Area and sent an email to Sweet ie in Oakland to
see if they could do repairs.

Suggestions welcome!!

SCD





 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 10:04:30
From: jggall01
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
SCD wrote:
> this morning - now cannot brew espresso either - totally cold Silvia.
>

Symptom of failed steam tstat. Replacing it will fix this problem,
too.

Jim



  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 10:38:15
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
Thanks again!

I've ordered both stats to be safe. As long as I'm going to the
trouble of opening up the Silvia, seems a good idea to just replace
both of them anyway.

If one just went, the other might not be far behind and for an extra
$11 it's worthwhile.

SCD

On 23 Oct 2006 10:04:30 -0700, "jggall01" <jggall01@yahoo.com > wrote:

>SCD wrote:
>> this morning - now cannot brew espresso either - totally cold Silvia.
>>
>
>Symptom of failed steam tstat. Replacing it will fix this problem,
>too.
>
>Jim



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 08:55:57
From: jggall01
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
SCD wrote:

> I think it's the thermostat from the reading I've done on coffee
> supply sites.
>

Could be the steam tstat as you said, but I think you also said you are
getting enough heat for brewing espresso?

This means that the steam tstat cannot have failed open (always off).
It also probably means that the steam tstat is not opening (turning
off) until temp has reached at least 100C (or your espresso would be
horrible). The way a Silvia is wired, everything goes through the
steam tstat, whether the steam switch is on or off.

At 100C, something hot should come out of the wand. If not, then
something else, besides the steam tstat, is wrong.

On the other hand, if you are not getting enough heat for brewing a
decent shot (and haven't told us), then it probably is a bad steam
tstat. Check the orange light right after flipping the steam switch
like others have suggested.

Jim
www.pidkits.com



  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 09:45:05
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
this morning - now cannot brew espresso either - totally cold Silvia.

sigh

SCD

On 23 Oct 2006 08:55:57 -0700, "jggall01" <jggall01@yahoo.com > wrote:

>SCD wrote:
>
>> I think it's the thermostat from the reading I've done on coffee
>> supply sites.
>>
>
>Could be the steam tstat as you said, but I think you also said you are
>getting enough heat for brewing espresso?
>
>This means that the steam tstat cannot have failed open (always off).
>It also probably means that the steam tstat is not opening (turning
>off) until temp has reached at least 100C (or your espresso would be
>horrible). The way a Silvia is wired, everything goes through the
>steam tstat, whether the steam switch is on or off.
>
>At 100C, something hot should come out of the wand. If not, then
>something else, besides the steam tstat, is wrong.
>
>On the other hand, if you are not getting enough heat for brewing a
>decent shot (and haven't told us), then it probably is a bad steam
>tstat. Check the orange light right after flipping the steam switch
>like others have suggested.
>
>Jim
>www.pidkits.com



  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 09:25:56
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
I've ordered a steamer stat online - in a week I'll know!

Thanks for all the good advice, gotta love NGs!

SCD

On 23 Oct 2006 08:55:57 -0700, "jggall01" <jggall01@yahoo.com > wrote:

>SCD wrote:
>
>> I think it's the thermostat from the reading I've done on coffee
>> supply sites.
>>
>
>Could be the steam tstat as you said, but I think you also said you are
>getting enough heat for brewing espresso?
>
>This means that the steam tstat cannot have failed open (always off).
>It also probably means that the steam tstat is not opening (turning
>off) until temp has reached at least 100C (or your espresso would be
>horrible). The way a Silvia is wired, everything goes through the
>steam tstat, whether the steam switch is on or off.
>
>At 100C, something hot should come out of the wand. If not, then
>something else, besides the steam tstat, is wrong.
>
>On the other hand, if you are not getting enough heat for brewing a
>decent shot (and haven't told us), then it probably is a bad steam
>tstat. Check the orange light right after flipping the steam switch
>like others have suggested.
>
>Jim
>www.pidkits.com



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 07:22:34
From: daveb
Subject: Silvia Suddenly Stopped
turn on the steam switch! does the boiler light come on?


you don't need a meter. then if the light goes off after reaching
steam temp, if it does, then can you get steam out the BREWHEAD??

iF yes, then the nozzle is clogged.

If the boiler light does not come on when you turn on the steam switch
then the 'stat IS bad.

www.Chriscoffee.com has all those parts.

dave
134 silvias
www.hitechespresso.com

SCD wrote:
> Thanks for the link - sure sounds as if my steam thermostat is dead.
>
> I'm pretty good at fixing things, I think I'll try to hunt down the
> part.
>
> Thanks,
> SCD
>
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:11:51 GMT, "Coffee for Connoisseurs"
> <alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au> wrote:
>
> >http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/troubleshooting.html



  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 09:24:34
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Silvia Suddenly Stopped
Yep, it's the t-stat - no light comes on when I turn on the steam
switch.

I just finished ordering a stat online and it sounds easy enough to
install myself.

I'll be putting just warm, unsteamed milk in my espresso for a week -
but, hey, at least I can make the coffee!

SCD

On 23 Oct 2006 07:22:34 -0700, "daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

>turn on the steam switch! does the boiler light come on?
>
>
>you don't need a meter. then if the light goes off after reaching
>steam temp, if it does, then can you get steam out the BREWHEAD??
>
>iF yes, then the nozzle is clogged.
>
>If the boiler light does not come on when you turn on the steam switch
>then the 'stat IS bad.
>
>www.Chriscoffee.com has all those parts.
>
>dave
>134 silvias
>www.hitechespresso.com
>
>SCD wrote:
>> Thanks for the link - sure sounds as if my steam thermostat is dead.
>>
>> I'm pretty good at fixing things, I think I'll try to hunt down the
>> part.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> SCD
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:11:51 GMT, "Coffee for Connoisseurs"
>> <alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/troubleshooting.html



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 07:20:57
From: daveb
Subject: Silvia Suddenly Stopped
turn on the steam switch! does the boiler light come on?


you don't need a meter. then if the light goes off after reaching
steam temp, if it does, then can you get steam out the BREWHEAD??

iF yes, then the nozzle is clogged.

If the boiler light does not come on when you turn on the steam switch
then the 'stat IS bad.

www.Chriscoffee.com has all those parts.

dave
134 silvias
www.hitechespresso.com

SCD wrote:
> Thanks for the link - sure sounds as if my steam thermostat is dead.
>
> I'm pretty good at fixing things, I think I'll try to hunt down the
> part.
>
> Thanks,
> SCD
>
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:11:51 GMT, "Coffee for Connoisseurs"
> <alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au> wrote:
>
> >http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/troubleshooting.html



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 18:10:13
From: Lionel
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:49:17 -0700, SCD <scd@gmail.com > opined:

>My beloved Silvia suddenly quit steaming milk tonight! A little hiss
>and then nothing! Utter silence when I turn the steaming knob.

The most common, most obvious cause for that is the steam nozzle being
clogged up with cooked milk. Let the nozzle cool, then poke a
toothpick into the steam nozzle.
--
W
.


  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 08:21:04
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
Hi,

I did think of that and try it, but not the problem (I wish it were).
The steamer is simply "dead" - no sounds no heat no steam.

I think it's the thermostat from the reading I've done on coffee
supply sites.

Susan

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 18:10:13 +1000, Lionel <usenet@imagenoir.com >
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:49:17 -0700, SCD <scd@gmail.com> opined:
>
>>My beloved Silvia suddenly quit steaming milk tonight! A little hiss
>>and then nothing! Utter silence when I turn the steaming knob.
>
>The most common, most obvious cause for that is the steam nozzle being
>clogged up with cooked milk. Let the nozzle cool, then poke a
>toothpick into the steam nozzle.



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 07:11:51
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/troubleshooting.html


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au




  
Date: 23 Oct 2006 01:03:08
From: SCD
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
Thanks for the link - sure sounds as if my steam thermostat is dead.

I'm pretty good at fixing things, I think I'll try to hunt down the
part.

Thanks,
SCD

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:11:51 GMT, "Coffee for Connoisseurs"
<alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au > wrote:

>http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/troubleshooting.html



 
Date: 23 Oct 2006 06:09:47
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Ms Silvia Suddenly Stopped Steaming Milk!
SCD <scd@gmail.com > wrote in news:erloj2te7cc66b3mgj2f20eraad7nlp0g7@
4ax.com:

>
> My beloved Silvia suddenly quit steaming milk tonight! A little hiss
> and then nothing! Utter silence when I turn the steaming knob.
>
> She will still make coffee?
>
> Are there separate pumps or seals or ? Heater out? or ?
>
> She has worked so well for 3 years 2-3 times a day.
>
> I'm in the SF Bay Area and sent an email to Sweet ie in Oakland to
> see if they could do repairs.
>
> Suggestions welcome!!
>
> SCD
>
>

Check the continuity of the steam thermostat with a multimeter.

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.