coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 18 Sep 2006 14:36:38
From: anonrob
Subject: OK now a grinder
HI,

In July I asked about a non-pressurized portafilter for my Starbucks
Barista Athena and the group, and a repair problem on the Athena,
convinced me to move on to a Gaggia Espresso--LOVE IT--and my wife
thinks the lattes are better. So far so good.

The old Braun burr grinder cannot grind fine enough for the Gaggia, so
for a cheap SOB like myself (I am getting good at these
acronyms--remember PITA and PETA??) what is the cheapest grinder I can
get away with? Will a Gaggia MM do it, or just drive me crazy?

Thanks in advance

Rob





 
Date: 23 Sep 2006 18:44:29
From:
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
If you're using the grinder for espresso the best grinder you can
afford would be the way to go. I don't think anything less than a
stepless Macap or Mazzer will give you the quality or control for
consistently good espresso.

Flat burrs don't last a life time if you're grinding regularly.
Depending on the make of the burrs and who you're talking to 50-
200lbs, I believe, is the life span of flat burrs from a Rocky to a
Mazzer. What you get with a higher quality, more expensive flat burr
is a commercial grade motor, more precise parallel set burrs, good
steel/machining on the burrs and if you go with a stepless, a minutely
adjustable grind range. I switched from a Rocky to a Macap M4 stepless
and I'm impressed with the quality of grind from the Macap as well the
quality of the grinder itself.



 
Date: 22 Sep 2006 16:41:39
From: JoeP
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder

All good advise. But I have to say that I bought a Used Tagex Mazzer
Super Jolly(they still sell them on ebay) back when they were $120 now
they are closer to $200 and I have never had to buy another. I kept the
doser added a short hopper ($23) changed the burrs($50) and it works
like a brand new machine. I have since gone through 3 espresso machines
and I still have my Mazzer. IMO anything else is a waste of time and
money. My freind Chris sold his and switched to the M4 which cost more
money.

Joe
www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com
"freinds getting together splitting bags of coffee"



  
Date: 23 Sep 2006 00:19:08
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Howdy Joe,
I too have a Mazzer SJ from Tagex & wouldn't trade it for anything. I'd used
a MDF prior to that and the difference between the two was as great as the
difference between a MDF & a blade grinder. The burrs are so cheap ($45)
that you can get a used machine & new burrs for less than the Gaggia &
Rancilio home grinders; and the used grinder should outlast them at least
two to one. I'll buy & play with espresso machines as the whim occurs, but
I've never been tempted to get another grinder!
--
Robert (grind it out) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r


"JoeP" <joe@internet-realty.com > wrote in message
news:1158968499.614389.132480@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
>
> All good advise. But I have to say that I bought a Used Tagex Mazzer
> Super Jolly(they still sell them on ebay) back when they were $120 now
> they are closer to $200 and I have never had to buy another. I kept the
> doser added a short hopper ($23) changed the burrs($50) and it works
> like a brand new machine. I have since gone through 3 espresso machines
> and I still have my Mazzer. IMO anything else is a waste of time and
> money. My freind Chris sold his and switched to the M4 which cost more
> money.
>
> Joe
> www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com
> "freinds getting together splitting bags of coffee"
>




 
Date: 21 Sep 2006 13:00:50
From: Todd94590
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder


or, in other words,

I will be glad to pay you tomorrow

for a hamburger today.....



 
Date: 21 Sep 2006 08:24:57
From: Todd94590
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Hi Danny,
since I live in the north bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd gladly
invite you here. Somehow I think buying your airfare here is still
going to cost less than what they are going to want out of the
machine, but I'm not certain of that.

If, given the new price of 3k, even at 20%, or $600, it sounds like
quite a lowball offer. But I'm not seeing other used units for sale,
and do not know what it would be priced at/around.

Todd

> Buy it and send to me here in the UK :)
>
> --
> Regards, Danny



  
Date: 22 Sep 2006 18:30:30
From: Danny
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Todd94590 wrote:
> Hi Danny,
> since I live in the north bay of the San Francisco Bay Area, I'd gladly
> invite you here. Somehow I think buying your airfare here is still
> going to cost less than what they are going to want out of the
> machine, but I'm not certain of that.
>
> If, given the new price of 3k, even at 20%, or $600, it sounds like
> quite a lowball offer. But I'm not seeing other used units for sale,
> and do not know what it would be priced at/around.
>
> Todd
>
>
>>Buy it and send to me here in the UK :)
>>
>>--
>>Regards, Danny
>
>

But, but, but, is it 230v? :) Why don't you buy it and I'll pay your
airfare to visit sunny Portsmouth, as an alternative :)

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/EU ordering for Malabar Gold blend)



 
Date: 20 Sep 2006 16:02:12
From: Todd94590
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Hi Rob,
If I may tag along on this thread, I'm looking for a grinder too. The
advice given thus far is good. A local coffee house close to where I
work will be selling one of their grinders. I'm interested in it, but
have a few questions for the seasoned veterans here: machine is a La
Mazorocco Swift; it will be for sale soon (used, of course). I looked
it up on coffeegeek and found that it goes for around $3000 new.
Yikes!! Way out of my league, and I really wonder that if I low-ball
an offer, say $600, if that would be seen as insulting.

Or, should I follow other advice toward machines already listed in this
thread for a good, home use machine.

Todd in Vallejo



  
Date: 21 Sep 2006 10:25:28
From: Danny
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Todd94590 wrote:
> Hi Rob,
> If I may tag along on this thread, I'm looking for a grinder too. The
> advice given thus far is good. A local coffee house close to where I
> work will be selling one of their grinders. I'm interested in it, but
> have a few questions for the seasoned veterans here: machine is a La
> Mazorocco Swift; it will be for sale soon (used, of course). I looked
> it up on coffeegeek and found that it goes for around $3000 new.
> Yikes!! Way out of my league, and I really wonder that if I low-ball
> an offer, say $600, if that would be seen as insulting.
>
> Or, should I follow other advice toward machines already listed in this
> thread for a good, home use machine.
>
> Todd in Vallejo
>

Buy it and send to me here in the UK :)

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/EU ordering for Malabar Gold blend)



   
Date: 21 Sep 2006 10:43:36
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Hey Danny, you should nip in to Bramah's and abduct theirs. Significantly
under-utilized if you ask me!


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au




 
Date: 20 Sep 2006 22:06:50
From: Colin B.
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
anonrob <hughesrljr@gmail.com > wrote:
> HI,
>
> In July I asked about a non-pressurized portafilter for my Starbucks
> Barista Athena and the group, and a repair problem on the Athena,
> convinced me to move on to a Gaggia Espresso--LOVE IT--and my wife
> thinks the lattes are better. So far so good.
>
> The old Braun burr grinder cannot grind fine enough for the Gaggia, so
> for a cheap SOB like myself (I am getting good at these
> acronyms--remember PITA and PETA??) what is the cheapest grinder I can
> get away with? Will a Gaggia MM do it, or just drive me crazy?

Many people have suggested (quite correctly) that scrimping on a grinder
is a false savings. That said, one worth considering that costs less than
the Rocky is the Bezzera BB004. We just picked it up over the Rocky, because
it had the same burr set, a slower motor, roughly equal fineness control,
and far nicer aesthetics, all for about $100 less.

So far it's been excellent. Haven't had any real experience with the Rocky,
but I'd say this is at least as good as the MDF.

Colin


 
Date: 20 Sep 2006 14:49:49
From: anonrob
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Thanks for all of the advice. It looks like I will be asking Santa for
a Gaggia MDF for Christmas.

OTOH (yet another cool acronym for those paying attention) I just got
a very interesting email from a gentleman in Ivory Coast, and as soon
as I send him my bank information $ should be no object....:-)

Rob
shane wrote:
> I agree don't try to save a few buck on a grinder. I bought a Virtuoso
> and couple of months later ordered a Mazzer Mini. I could have saved
> myself a couple of hundred bucks by just getting the Mazzer to start
> with.
>
> Shane
>
> Neal Reid wrote:
> > > Remember, you get what you pay for!
> >
> > And my advice (backed up by many here) is that trying to save a
> > few bucks on the grinder ONLY leads to heartache.
> >
> > I started with a Braun many years ago. Went 'all the way up to' a
> > Saeco 2002 @ $200 figuring, "What, it's a motor spinning some
> > burrs. What can you add past $200"?
> >
> > Then I got my Nuova Simonelli MDXA. had to reset my espresso
> > scale. What WAS a 10 with the Saeco barely made it to the bottom
> > of the scale. (Then I replaced the burrs on the NS with a
> > non-standard set with double the cutting edges and had to reset my
> > subjective scale again,but that's another story)
> >
> > Bottom line - the 'cheapest grinder you can get away with' is the
> > best one you can find. If you can't afford it, cope and save until
> > you can. Years from now, you'll be glad you did!
> >
> > --
> > M for N in address to mail reply



 
Date: 20 Sep 2006 11:55:05
From: shane
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
I agree don't try to save a few buck on a grinder. I bought a Virtuoso
and couple of months later ordered a Mazzer Mini. I could have saved
myself a couple of hundred bucks by just getting the Mazzer to start
with.

Shane

Neal Reid wrote:
> > Remember, you get what you pay for!
>
> And my advice (backed up by many here) is that trying to save a
> few bucks on the grinder ONLY leads to heartache.
>
> I started with a Braun many years ago. Went 'all the way up to' a
> Saeco 2002 @ $200 figuring, "What, it's a motor spinning some
> burrs. What can you add past $200"?
>
> Then I got my Nuova Simonelli MDXA. had to reset my espresso
> scale. What WAS a 10 with the Saeco barely made it to the bottom
> of the scale. (Then I replaced the burrs on the NS with a
> non-standard set with double the cutting edges and had to reset my
> subjective scale again,but that's another story)
>
> Bottom line - the 'cheapest grinder you can get away with' is the
> best one you can find. If you can't afford it, cope and save until
> you can. Years from now, you'll be glad you did!
>
> --
> M for N in address to mail reply



 
Date: 19 Sep 2006 22:04:33
From: TimEggers
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Well I haven't heard much about that one. The others on the other hand
I have and they all seem to be worthwhile grinders. Remember, you get
what you pay for!
anonrob wrote:
> Whaqt about the Gran Macinino Doserless for $159 at Chriscoffee.com???
>
>
> TimEggers wrote:
> > In the $200+ range you should consider the:
> >
> > 1.) Cunil Tranquilo ($200) http://www.sovranastore.com/esgrin.html
> >
> >
> > 2.) The new Quickmill Doserless/Stepless ($275)
> > http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/quickmillgrinder
> >
> > Better yet join home-barista.com (free) and get $25 dollars off!
> > http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2010
> >
> >
> > 3.) Rancillio Rocky ($285 -new, widely available)
> >
> > Do yourself a favor and INVEST in a grinder, it really is that vital,
> > and you won't regret it!
> > Good luck!



  
Date: 20 Sep 2006 13:47:33
From: Neal Reid
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
> Remember, you get what you pay for!

And my advice (backed up by many here) is that trying to save a
few bucks on the grinder ONLY leads to heartache.

I started with a Braun many years ago. Went 'all the way up to' a
Saeco 2002 @ $200 figuring, "What, it's a motor spinning some
burrs. What can you add past $200"?

Then I got my Nuova Simonelli MDXA. had to reset my espresso
scale. What WAS a 10 with the Saeco barely made it to the bottom
of the scale. (Then I replaced the burrs on the NS with a
non-standard set with double the cutting edges and had to reset my
subjective scale again,but that's another story)

Bottom line - the 'cheapest grinder you can get away with' is the
best one you can find. If you can't afford it, cope and save until
you can. Years from now, you'll be glad you did!

--
M for N in address to mail reply


 
Date: 19 Sep 2006 11:54:05
From: anonrob
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
Whaqt about the Gran Macinino Doserless for $159 at Chriscoffee.com???


TimEggers wrote:
> In the $200+ range you should consider the:
>
> 1.) Cunil Tranquilo ($200) http://www.sovranastore.com/esgrin.html
>
>
> 2.) The new Quickmill Doserless/Stepless ($275)
> http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/quickmillgrinder
>
> Better yet join home-barista.com (free) and get $25 dollars off!
> http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2010
>
>
> 3.) Rancillio Rocky ($285 -new, widely available)
>
> Do yourself a favor and INVEST in a grinder, it really is that vital,
> and you won't regret it!
> Good luck!



 
Date: 19 Sep 2006 09:40:46
From: TimEggers
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
In the $200+ range you should consider the:

1.) Cunil Tranquilo ($200) http://www.sovranastore.com/esgrin.html


2.) The new Quickmill Doserless/Stepless ($275)
http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/grinders/quickmillgrinder

Better yet join home-barista.com (free) and get $25 dollars off!
http://www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2010


3.) Rancillio Rocky ($285 -new, widely available)

Do yourself a favor and INVEST in a grinder, it really is that vital,
and you won't regret it!
Good luck!



 
Date: 18 Sep 2006 16:29:47
From: daveb
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
I, too owned an MDF -- for years -- did a fine job.

so basically its a new MDF -- or a used Rocky -- for AROUND $200.00.
Dave
117



Harry Moos wrote:
> I have a Gaggia Coffee and Gaggia MDF grinder. The MDF is set on 6 most of
> the time, so I still have some leeway for a finer grind. I also found that
> the MDF improves my vacuum pot brewing over the whirly blade I had been
> using [return time with the whirly had been 20 minutes; it was 2 1/2 minutes
> with coffee ground at 12 on the MDF. A good grinder is really a necessity.
> I have been pleased with my MDF -- bought it for $150 a couple of years ago
> when WLL had them on sale.
>
> "anonrob" <hughesrljr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1158615398.317733.230660@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> > HI,
> >
> > In July I asked about a non-pressurized portafilter for my Starbucks
> > Barista Athena and the group, and a repair problem on the Athena,
> > convinced me to move on to a Gaggia Espresso--LOVE IT--and my wife
> > thinks the lattes are better. So far so good.
> >
> > The old Braun burr grinder cannot grind fine enough for the Gaggia, so
> > for a cheap SOB like myself (I am getting good at these
> > acronyms--remember PITA and PETA??) what is the cheapest grinder I can
> > get away with? Will a Gaggia MM do it, or just drive me crazy?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Rob
> >



 
Date: 18 Sep 2006 17:59:05
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
I have a Gaggia Coffee and Gaggia MDF grinder. The MDF is set on 6 most of
the time, so I still have some leeway for a finer grind. I also found that
the MDF improves my vacuum pot brewing over the whirly blade I had been
using [return time with the whirly had been 20 minutes; it was 2 1/2 minutes
with coffee ground at 12 on the MDF. A good grinder is really a necessity.
I have been pleased with my MDF -- bought it for $150 a couple of years ago
when WLL had them on sale.

"anonrob" <hughesrljr@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1158615398.317733.230660@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> HI,
>
> In July I asked about a non-pressurized portafilter for my Starbucks
> Barista Athena and the group, and a repair problem on the Athena,
> convinced me to move on to a Gaggia Espresso--LOVE IT--and my wife
> thinks the lattes are better. So far so good.
>
> The old Braun burr grinder cannot grind fine enough for the Gaggia, so
> for a cheap SOB like myself (I am getting good at these
> acronyms--remember PITA and PETA??) what is the cheapest grinder I can
> get away with? Will a Gaggia MM do it, or just drive me crazy?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rob
>




 
Date: 18 Sep 2006 22:00:39
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: OK now a grinder
The MM , even one properly dialed in, will barely get the job done. My
daughter used one for years & liked it - but it seems the burrs are not
properly hardened because they wore out after two years. For the home user a
set of burrs should last a lifetime.

I'd suggest that for the long term value you consider the MDF as your
starting point. There are many good buys to be had on eBay, especially for a
used commercial grinder.

It's tempting to get the MM or a Solis because of their small footprint but
I just don't think they're worth the money.
--
Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"anonrob" <hughesrljr@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1158615398.317733.230660@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> HI,
>
> In July I asked about a non-pressurized portafilter for my Starbucks
> Barista Athena and the group, and a repair problem on the Athena,
> convinced me to move on to a Gaggia Espresso--LOVE IT--and my wife
> thinks the lattes are better. So far so good.
>
> The old Braun burr grinder cannot grind fine enough for the Gaggia, so
> for a cheap SOB like myself (I am getting good at these
> acronyms--remember PITA and PETA??) what is the cheapest grinder I can
> get away with? Will a Gaggia MM do it, or just drive me crazy?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Rob
>