coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 30 Dec 2006 12:15:43
From: Philip N. Sternklar
Subject: PIDed My Silvia
Got a SD3C kit from pidkits.com and WOW. My Silvia is 5 years old. The
instructions were clear and it took me about 90 mins. to complete the job.
I love not having to temp. surf any longer. If you are on the fence about
PIDing, don't wait any longer. My PID is set at 228, I normally roast SM
Moka Kadir to full city +. Any suggestions on temp? Thanks.
-Phil






 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 14:00:45
From: daveb
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
Ok, I admitted to that mistake over 1.5 years ago Barry.

what else do you have?


B



  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 22:30:54
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
On 31 Dec 2006 14:00:45 -0800, "daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

>Ok, I admitted to that mistake over 1.5 years ago Barry.
>
>what else do you have?


just suggesting that perhaps 'no fan' might be a mistake, as well.




 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 12:52:38
From: daveb
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
Is that a fact?

a little engineering and a fan is not needed.

dave

Barry Jarrett wrote:
> On 31 Dec 2006 11:07:28 -0800, "daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >six happy owners so far, and NO fan.
>
>
> i'm not sure "NO fan" is anything to brag about.
>
>
> --barry "ghosts lurk in 'no fan' installations"



  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 21:05:55
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
On 31 Dec 2006 12:52:38 -0800, "daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

>Is that a fact?
>
>a little engineering and a fan is not needed.
>

recall that you felt special wires weren't needed to extend
thermocouple leads, either.



 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 11:07:28
From: daveb
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
Here is my version of the Zaffiro -- the Quick Mill Alexia / Eliane.
One advantage is that it is available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270074947223

six happy owners so far, and NO fan.

Dave
ww.hitechespresso.com



  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 20:38:14
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
On 31 Dec 2006 11:07:28 -0800, "daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote:

>six happy owners so far, and NO fan.


i'm not sure "NO fan" is anything to brag about.


--barry "ghosts lurk in 'no fan' installations"


   
Date: 31 Dec 2006 21:29:34
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:38:14 GMT, Barry Jarrett
<barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote:

>i'm not sure "NO fan" is anything to brag about.
>
>
>--barry "ghosts lurk in 'no fan' installations"

Almost 2 years now with no burps from the fan-cooled PID. Vapor bulb
thermostat #3 died about 6 months ago. It was doing steam-only duty in
the thermowell. I gave up and re-connected the steam switch to the
original snap thermostat. Works fine for steam, and I don't have to
touch the PID at all switching from brew to steam and back.

shall


 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 09:12:20
From: daveb
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than ex?


yes, right into the front panel -- but not as kit

Dave



  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 22:13:14
From: Bertie Doe
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1167585140.157393.109900@a3g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
> but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than ex?
>
>
> yes, right into the front panel -- but not as kit
>
> Dave
>
Not as a kit? the shipping on the Zaff would be humongous.
Bertie




 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 16:24:03
From: Bertie Doe
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia

"Philip N. Sternklar"
> wrote in message ..
> Got a SD3C kit from pidkits.com and WOW. My Silvia is 5 years old. The
> instructions were clear and it took me about 90 mins. to complete the job.
> I love not having to temp. surf any longer. If you are on the fence about
> PIDing, don't wait any longer. My PID is set at 228, I normally roast SM
> Moka Kadir to full city +. Any suggestions on temp? Thanks.
> -Phil
Hi Phil

I can't give you a figure for temps, but for my taste buds, I would prefer
the Moka at the cooler end of the range. Where did you attach the
thermocouple?
OT, but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than ex?

Bertie




  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 15:22:09
From: Philip N. Sternklar
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
Hi Bertie,
I attatched the tehermocouple to the far left screw holding down the brew
thermostat. I'll try a few degrees cooler. Thanks.
-Phil
"Bertie Doe" <montebrasite4@ntl.com > wrote in message
news:4vq6h7F1d6p2iU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "Philip N. Sternklar"
>> wrote in message ..
>> Got a SD3C kit from pidkits.com and WOW. My Silvia is 5 years old. The
>> instructions were clear and it took me about 90 mins. to complete the
>> job. I love not having to temp. surf any longer. If you are on the fence
>> about PIDing, don't wait any longer. My PID is set at 228, I normally
>> roast SM Moka Kadir to full city +. Any suggestions on temp? Thanks.
>> -Phil
> Hi Phil
>
> I can't give you a figure for temps, but for my taste buds, I would prefer
> the Moka at the cooler end of the range. Where did you attach the
> thermocouple?
> OT, but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than
> ex?
>
> Bertie
>




  
Date: 31 Dec 2006 18:44:05
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:24:03 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
<montebrasite4@ntl.com > wrote:

>
>"Philip N. Sternklar"
>> wrote in message ..
>> Got a SD3C kit from pidkits.com and WOW. My Silvia is 5 years old. The
>> instructions were clear and it took me about 90 mins. to complete the job.
>> I love not having to temp. surf any longer. If you are on the fence about
>> PIDing, don't wait any longer. My PID is set at 228, I normally roast SM
>> Moka Kadir to full city +. Any suggestions on temp? Thanks.
>> -Phil
>Hi Phil
>
>I can't give you a figure for temps, but for my taste buds, I would prefer
>the Moka at the cooler end of the range. Where did you attach the
>thermocouple?
>OT, but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than ex?
>
>Bertie

I have an internal Zaffiro installation with a fan. It required some
very expert metal cutting (not by me) to avoid discoloring the
surrounding metal, but looks extremely cool. We also moved around,
replaced and re-assigned some of the controls and lights. Details
here: http://home.earthlink.net/~mrfuss/ .

shall


   
Date: 31 Dec 2006 22:19:12
From: Bertie Doe
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia

"shall" wrote in message > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006
>16:24:03 -0000, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>>OT, but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than
>>ex?
>>
>>Bertie
>
> I have an internal Zaffiro installation with a fan. It required some
> very expert metal cutting (not by me) to avoid discoloring the
> surrounding metal, but looks extremely cool. We also moved around,
> replaced and re-assigned some of the controls and lights. Details
> here: http://home.earthlink.net/~mrfuss/ .
>
> shall

Thanks for that shall, saved to favs. Some of those Silvias I've seen
with external PID's look pug ugly. Silk purse/sow's ear in reverse. Internal
has to be the best bet IMO.
Bertie




   
Date: 31 Dec 2006 19:21:12
From: Bertie Doe
Subject: Re: PIDed My Silvia

"shall" <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote in message
news:qs0gp2hraaekbn4q35344ncrsmc8p7ap3l@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 16:24:03 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
> <montebrasite4@ntl.com> wrote:
>
>>OT, but is there a kit available for the Zaffiro - internal rather than
>>ex?
>>
>>Bertie
>
> I have an internal Zaffiro installation with a fan. It required some
> very expert metal cutting (not by me) to avoid discoloring the
> surrounding metal, but looks extremely cool. We also moved around,
> replaced and re-assigned some of the controls and lights. Details
> here: http://home.earthlink.net/~mrfuss/ .
>
> shall

Thanks shall - saved to favs.

Bertie