coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 20 Feb 2007 22:28:43
From: Bill
Subject: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
percolated?

Thanx

Bill






 
Date: 22 Feb 2007 10:10:56
From:
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
On Feb 20, 9:28 pm, "Bill" <Billy...@tampabay.rr.com > wrote:
> What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
> percolated?
>
> Thanx
>
> Bill

Any one who knows what good coffee is would never use a percolater.
You want the water to run thru the grounds once. You don't want to
continually run offee back thru the grounds. All you get is a bitter
brew.

Some one commented that all brewers percolate. This isn't true. The
old fashioned percolaters ran the same water/coffee thru the grounds
over and over until the desired result was reached.
Modern brewers heat the water to a point where it rises up and then
runs thru the coffee grounds one time. That isn't percolation.



  
Date: 22 Feb 2007 19:23:11
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
On 22 Feb 2007 10:10:56 -0800, bobbyt@blackjava.ca wrote:

>On Feb 20, 9:28 pm, "Bill" <Billy...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>> What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
>> percolated?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> Bill
>
>Any one who knows what good coffee is would never use a percolater.
>You want the water to run thru the grounds once. You don't want to
>continually run offee back thru the grounds. All you get is a bitter
>brew.

True, as long as you understand "percolator" as referring to the
recirculating machines that were so popular in mid-century North
America.
>
>Some one commented that all brewers percolate. This isn't true. The
>old fashioned percolaters ran the same water/coffee thru the grounds
>over and over until the desired result was reached.
>Modern brewers heat the water to a point where it rises up and then
>runs thru the coffee grounds one time. That isn't percolation.

Here, you are wrong. Water "percolates" through ground coffee in drip
devices in the same way it "percolates" through the soil when you
water your lawn. This is the non-coffee-specific meaning of
"percolate." The "some one," by the way, is one of the most
knowledgeable coffee people on the face of the earth. When Donald says
something, you might disagree, but you want to give it some serious
thought and a little research before doing so.

shall


 
Date: 21 Feb 2007 20:09:02
From:
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
Steve Ackman's dictionary definition is right. What we call Drip
Coffee is in fact, percolation. The pump percolator commonly called
the percolator (or its diminutive) is in fact more complex; a
recycling pump that repeats the percolation action.

-Donald Schoenholt




 
Date: 21 Feb 2007 07:19:48
From: cpaullie
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
On Feb 21, 7:30 am, Matt...@webtv.net (Fandango .) wrote:
> Your best bet is to get a french press, you can get a Bodum 8 cup glass
> Brazil for under $20 and make super good coffee. I actually like
> percolator coffee better'n paper drip.


Amen - If you're not making coffee for a large group of people, then a
French press is cheap, easy and oh-so-great (when used with a good
burr-grinder)..........



 
Date: 21 Feb 2007 07:01:18
From: rasqual
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
On Feb 20, 9:28 pm, "Bill" <Billy...@tampabay.rr.com > wrote:
> What is the best way to make a cup ofcoffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
> percolated?

Prescinding from the meritorious discussions of percolation in general
which precede:

It can be a matter of perspective. If you're brewing for a community
of people whose tolerance of bad coffee is high, a percolator's
convenience is hard to argue with for large brewing jobs. Anyone can
set it up, and the darned things serve easily. Practicality thus
determines "the best way." OTOH, if one is after good coffee and damn
the invonvenience, then the method has little to recommend it. The
extraction isn't well-controlled for, for one thing. In theory one
could terminate the extraction at the proper moment, learning the
ideal point based on experience with identical volumes of water,
coffee, and so forth (this is true of any method). However, the
remaining concern is that the coffee, as it's perc'ing, gets boiled in
small increments. Although the overal temperature of the batch remains
within reasonable bounds, it seems to me that even momentary
escalation of any small portion of the brew's temperature presents
problems for that portion's chemistry -- which, in the aggregate for
the entire batch, diminishes the method's potential to conserve what
virtues the grind might possess.

- Scott



  
Date: 21 Feb 2007 17:59:10
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?

"rasqual" <scott.quardt@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1172070078.731348.20090@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
<snip/ >
>Although the overal temperature of the batch remains
> within reasonable bounds, it seems to me that even momentary
> escalation of any small portion of the brew's temperature presents
> problems for that portion's chemistry -- which, in the aggregate for
> the entire batch, diminishes the method's potential to conserve what
> virtues the grind might possess.
>
> - Scott
>
Doesn't have to be that way. Seems to me you could simmer or even lower and
get the temps still within bounds.
It requires not a whole lot of temp to get the water up the spout much less
than you'd think...
see the vac pot tests towards the end here http://tinyurl.com/3agymk





 
Date: 21 Feb 2007 09:30:30
From: Fandango .
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
Your best bet is to get a french press, you can get a Bodum 8 cup glass
Brazil for under $20 and make super good coffee. I actually like
percolator coffee better'n paper drip.



 
Date: 21 Feb 2007 01:19:46
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
On Feb 21, 1:43 am, "Johnny" <removethis.huuan...@hotmail.com > wrote:
>
> I'm thinking that you don't actually need to boil the water to make it
> percolate...just thinking about this in relation to a post I just made in
> the atomic thread here. The vapor pressure is quite high well before
> boiling, like 6 water column inches at 175 F, certainly high enough to raise
> the water up the tube and dispense it over the grounds. Does get recycled
> quite a few times though...

Here's an existing design along your principle -- XXX's product take.
Appears something in the way of a moka pot, then again, maybe not. As
I understand, at least w/ my moka pot, there's boiling in the lower
chamber. Odd is what XXX says about a time users factor for
strength. Moka pots haven't that variable. Put in grinds, apply
heat, wait until done.

XXX's design would be operating on vapor, since they also say never
boils -- yet, how would time factor for increased extraction if
brewing and not recirculating? How about what's preventing it from
boiling? XXX advertises the heat source as being adaptable, even for
an open fire.

"...stovetop percolator is [XXX's redesign of the] American stovetop
coffeemaker ...fill the lower vessel with water, add fine ground
(espresso) coffee to the integral filter, and bring to
temperature ...water will never boil, but will rise at the optimum
temperature into the upper tank for serving. Users can control the
amount of time the coffee brews ...."



 
Date: 20 Feb 2007 20:28:42
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
"Bill" <BillyBoy@tampabay.rr.com > wrote:

>What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
>percolated?
>

Percolating is a type of brewing.....
But brewing is not a type of percolating.

es eat oats and does eat oats
and...

Randy "Lisa Lamb licks Limeys" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
or something like that....




  
Date: 21 Feb 2007 00:23:35
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
In <0gint2hlku03laq00b26sfseot949d75h3@4ax.com >, on Tue, 20 Feb 2007
20:28:42 -0800, Randy G wrote:
> "Bill" <BillyBoy@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
>>percolated?
>>
>
> Percolating is a type of brewing.....
> But brewing is not a type of percolating.

That may be true in the coffee world, but in the
world of leach fields and chemistry, and everything
else, percolation has nothing to do with the number
of times a liquid... ah, let's just do it this way:

per·co·late Pronunciation (pūrk-lt)
v. per·co·lat·ed, per·co·lat·ing, per·co·lates
v.tr.
1. To cause (liquid, for example) to pass through a
porous substance or small holes; filter.
2. To pass or ooze through: Water percolated the sand.

> es eat oats and does eat oats
> and...

Pretty much all coffee brew methods save Turkish
(and some forms of cowboy coffee?) are accomplished
through percolation.



   
Date: 21 Feb 2007 09:07:31
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
Steve Ackman <steve@SNIP-THIS.twoloonscoffee.com > wrote:

>In <0gint2hlku03laq00b26sfseot949d75h3@4ax.com>, on Tue, 20 Feb 2007
>20:28:42 -0800, Randy G wrote:
>> "Bill" <BillyBoy@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>>>What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old fashioned
>>>percolated?
>>>
>>
>> Percolating is a type of brewing.....
>> But brewing is not a type of percolating.
>
> That may be true in the coffee world, but in the
>world of leach fields and chemistry, and everything
>else, percolation has nothing to do with the number
>of times a liquid... ah, let's just do it this way:
>
>per·co·late Pronunciation (pūrk-lt)
>v. per·co·lat·ed, per·co·lat·ing, per·co·lates
>v.tr.
>1. To cause (liquid, for example) to pass through a
>porous substance or small holes; filter.
>2. To pass or ooze through: Water percolated the sand.
>

"This coffee tastes like DIRT!"
"It should. It was GROUND this morning!"

:-/


 
Date: 20 Feb 2007 22:26:46
From: DougW
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?
Bill wrote:
> What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old
> fashioned percolated?

depends on if you like coffee that's been re boiled a few hundred
times or just brewed once. :)

--
DougW




  
Date: 21 Feb 2007 18:03:14
From: Mathew Hargreaves
Subject: Re: Perculated or Brewed which is better?
A small historical note regarding percolators. Not all are
recycling systems. Around 1930 Edicraft came out with the non-recycling
percolator that heated the water in one chamber and shot the water over
the grounds basket in a side chamber. The weak extracted coffee was
siphoned into the side chamber. The water covering the grounds each time
was heated and clean. Another company did the same idea but had the pot
sitting on a hotplate designed to fit the pot shape.
No one now appears to be using this alternate method of
percolating.

CHEERS...Mathew

DougW wrote:
>
> Bill wrote:
> > What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old
> > fashioned percolated?
>
> depends on if you like coffee that's been re boiled a few hundred
> times or just brewed once. :)
>
> --
> DougW


  
Date: 20 Feb 2007 22:43:06
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: Peculated or Brewed which is better?

"DougW" <post.replies@invalid.address > wrote in message
news:6SPCh.21048$OY.12412@newsfe20.lga...
> Bill wrote:
> > What is the best way to make a cup of coffee? Brewed or good old
> > fashioned percolated?
>
> depends on if you like coffee that's been re boiled a few hundred
> times or just brewed once. :)
>
> --
> DougW
>
>

I'm thinking that you don't actually need to boil the water to make it
percolate...just thinking about this in relation to a post I just made in
the atomic thread here. The vapor pressure is quite high well before
boiling, like 6 water column inches at 175 F, certainly high enough to raise
the water up the tube and dispense it over the grounds. Does get recycled
quite a few times though...