coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 08 Oct 2006 19:20:16
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Popper roasting, phase !!
I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with the
results. However, I am wondering if the FreshRoast 8 would be more
consistent in roasting, or do you still have to listen for second crack
[which is getting harder for me to hear]? Also, is its cooling cycle long
enough, or do you still have to juggle the beans to cool them? I see some
list this appliance as the FreshRoast 8 and some as the Plus 8. Are they
the same? Or is one a newer version?






 
Date: 09 Oct 2006 17:14:41
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
Is the Alpenrost roaster still made? I haven't seen it advertised in
awhile. The CoffeeGeek site described his experiences with it. If it's no
longer in production, were there any problems with it?

"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote in message
news:M92dnfmgG74zCLTYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with the
>results.




  
Date: 09 Oct 2006 22:37:36
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:14:41 -0500, "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net >
wrote:

>Is the Alpenrost roaster still made? I haven't seen it advertised in
>awhile. The CoffeeGeek site described his experiences with it. If it's no
>longer in production, were there any problems with it?
>
>"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>news:M92dnfmgG74zCLTYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>>I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with the
>>results.
>

You may want to have a peek at
http://www.ielogical.com/coffee/Bravi.jpg
before getting too enthused about the Bravi.

This was 100% Yrgacheffe.


   
Date: 09 Oct 2006 19:15:17
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!

"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:2ijli2lpusr1icmmiiqhpvhq7oi59knvmd@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:14:41 -0500, "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Is the Alpenrost roaster still made? I haven't seen it advertised in
>>awhile. The CoffeeGeek site described his experiences with it. If
>>it's no
>>longer in production, were there any problems with it?
>>
>>"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
>>news:M92dnfmgG74zCLTYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>>>I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy
>>>with the
>>>results.
>>
>
> You may want to have a peek at
> http://www.ielogical.com/coffee/Bravi.jpg
> before getting too enthused about the Bravi.
>
> This was 100% Yrgacheffe.


Is this your roast Ian? I've never in my life seen anything that bad,
either on the "old" Alp or the newer Bravi.
Craig.



    
Date: 09 Oct 2006 23:46:07
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:15:17 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
<alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote:

>Is this your roast Ian? I've never in my life seen anything that bad,
>either on the "old" Alp or the newer Bravi.
>Craig.

Sadly, it was. I'd never seen anything like it before and never since,
but I no longer have the Bravi.

I roasted beans from the same lot of Yrg in FR, HWP, iRoar x 2, Bravi
and HotTop and only one produced anything like this.

FWIW, I corresponded with a Bravi owner who got one at the same time
and he had zero issues with Yrg, albeit, not the same lot AFAIK. He
loved the machine.


     
Date: 09 Oct 2006 22:14:39
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!

"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:4fnli2llsi8balf9umoaqnh59bntn61m0i@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:15:17 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
> <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>Is this your roast Ian? I've never in my life seen anything that bad,
>>either on the "old" Alp or the newer Bravi.
>>Craig.
>
> Sadly, it was. I'd never seen anything like it before and never since,
> but I no longer have the Bravi.
>
> I roasted beans from the same lot of Yrg in FR, HWP, iRoar x 2, Bravi
> and HotTop and only one produced anything like this.
>
> FWIW, I corresponded with a Bravi owner who got one at the same time
> and he had zero issues with Yrg, albeit, not the same lot AFAIK. He
> loved the machine.


Thanks, I've had zero issues with my Bravi also. Use another green then!
{;-)
Craig.



      
Date: 10 Oct 2006 17:44:00
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:14:39 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
<alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote:

>Use another green

Tried several, about 12 varieties and about 12# IIRC, and did not care
for any of them roasted in the Bravi.

IMO, the profile ramp is too slow and the cooling too long.
The mechanics of the machine make it difficult to hack, so for me the
HotTop was a better solution.


       
Date: 10 Oct 2006 14:10:08
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!

"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:4nmni29iubaqhbf3b8k18k6637egilk4pi@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:14:39 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
> <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>Use another green
>
> Tried several, about 12 varieties and about 12# IIRC, and did not care
> for any of them roasted in the Bravi.
>
> IMO, the profile ramp is too slow and the cooling too long.
> The mechanics of the machine make it difficult to hack, so for me the
> HotTop was a better solution.


I agree with you here. A PITA, but you could also have a small fan at
the bean cup end of the roaster & lift the lid & direct the air to
assist the cooling. Or as soon as the roaster goes into cooling mode,
take out the drum., spread the beans ina single layer on a cookie sheet
& cool with a fan.
Craig.



        
Date: 10 Oct 2006 18:31:31
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:10:08 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
<alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote:

>
>I agree with you here. A PITA, but you could also have a small fan at
>the bean cup end of the roaster & lift the lid & direct the air to
>assist the cooling. Or as soon as the roaster goes into cooling mode,
>take out the drum., spread the beans ina single layer on a cookie sheet
>& cool with a fan.

On the unit I had, the lid was latched until the cool cycle completed.
I could have defeated that, but the idea of handling a 500+ drum did
not give me the warm and fuzzies.


         
Date: 10 Oct 2006 14:41:06
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!

"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:nkpni25jvue338fg9vrlgg0ov5khj3lrmv@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:10:08 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
> <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>I agree with you here. A PITA, but you could also have a small fan at
>>the bean cup end of the roaster & lift the lid & direct the air to
>>assist the cooling. Or as soon as the roaster goes into cooling mode,
>>take out the drum., spread the beans ina single layer on a cookie
>>sheet
>>& cool with a fan.
>
> On the unit I had, the lid was latched until the cool cycle completed.
> I could have defeated that, but the idea of handling a 500+ drum did
> not give me the warm and fuzzies.


I've never seen one with a latch., a prototype or very early one
possibly? Well you wouldn't have to handle the drum with a fan directed
at the end, sans latch.. {:-)
Craig.



          
Date: 10 Oct 2006 14:43:23
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
Sounds like the FreshRoast Plus 8 may be the way to go for now, despite the
small capacity. Thanks.

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:4p2866FgqprgU1@individual.net...
>
> "I->Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:nkpni25jvue338fg9vrlgg0ov5khj3lrmv@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 14:10:08 -0400, "Craig Andrews"
>> <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>I agree with you here. A PITA,




  
Date: 09 Oct 2006 18:19:29
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!

"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote in message
news:yZidndCDEpdNVLfYnZ2dnUVZ_qSdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
> Is the Alpenrost roaster still made? I haven't seen it advertised in
> awhile. The CoffeeGeek site described his experiences with it. If
> it's no longer in production, were there any problems with it?
>
> "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net> wrote in message
> news:M92dnfmgG74zCLTYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
>>I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with
>>the results.
>
>


Yes, a new version called the Bravi.
http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_209&products_id=45
Craig.



   
Date: 09 Oct 2006 17:27:00
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
I've seen the Bravi listed, but I didn't make the connection. Thanks.

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:4p007eFgjfq5U1@individual.net...
>
> Yes, a new version called the Bravi.
> http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_209&products_id=45
> Craig.




    
Date: 09 Oct 2006 18:31:24
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
You're welcome!
Craig. {;-)

"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote in message
news:iNqdna-eV5YuUbfYnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net...
> I've seen the Bravi listed, but I didn't make the connection. Thanks.
>
> "Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com> wrote in message
> news:4p007eFgjfq5U1@individual.net...
>>
>> Yes, a new version called the Bravi.
>> http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_209&products_id=45
>> Craig.
>
>



 
Date: 09 Oct 2006 02:12:05
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 19:20:16 -0500, "Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net >
wrote:

>I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with the
>results. However, I am wondering if the FreshRoast 8 would be more
>consistent in roasting, or do you still have to listen for second crack
>[which is getting harder for me to hear]? Also, is its cooling cycle long
>enough, or do you still have to juggle the beans to cool them? I see some
>list this appliance as the FreshRoast 8 and some as the Plus 8. Are they
>the same? Or is one a newer version?
>

The FR is relatively quiet, much quieter than a Popper, so it
relatively easy to hear the snaps.

The Plus roasts a little slower than the original, IIRC. And does
10-20g more per roast, IIRC.

If you dual wire the FR and use a variac for the element, you can
produce some stellar roasts. I think Jim Schulman posted something
several years ago on dual wiring an FR.

If I had to choose based on cup between a FR and a Z&D, I'd probably
lean to the Z&D, but others may believe the opposite. That being said,
I've had an FR for years and probably always will.


 
Date: 08 Oct 2006 19:28:45
From: Lloyd Parsons
Subject: Re: Popper roasting, phase !!
In article <M92dnfmgG74zCLTYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@news.ruraltel.net >,
"Harry Moos" <harrym@ruraltel.net > wrote:

> I have been popper roasting for several years and have been happy with the
> results. However, I am wondering if the FreshRoast 8 would be more
> consistent in roasting, or do you still have to listen for second crack
> [which is getting harder for me to hear]? Also, is its cooling cycle long
> enough, or do you still have to juggle the beans to cool them? I see some
> list this appliance as the FreshRoast 8 and some as the Plus 8. Are they
> the same? Or is one a newer version?

I have found that once I have found the proper time for a given bean to
a desired roast, I can reproduce it with no problem. But, you still
have to experiment a bit at first to find those profiles that work.
Which means, back to listening for the cracks.

The Plus 8 is the newest model, btw.

Zach & Dani's roaster is very consistent in comparison to the
FreshRoast, but the current model is out of stock in many places and no
one really knows for sure if a newer model is on the way.