coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 03 Dec 2006 15:36:53
From: sds
Subject: Salvatore pump pressure

i have had a Salvatore semi-auto for about 5 years and am very happy
with it
the only quibble i have is that maybe the pump pressure could be
higher for better extraction with the given amount of coffee (double
shot)
anybody have any specific info how other machines in this class stack
up in this regard?

also
whatever happened to the Wega machines, are they stil out there, any
opinions on those ?

tia, bs





 
Date: 04 Dec 2006 09:43:05
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
At 5 years -- your pump may be tiring.

REpalcing is easy and cheap. $40.00

cheaper than buying a pressure tester.

Dave
Saeco / Gaggia service SE
877 286 2833



 
Date: 04 Dec 2006 05:34:52
From: Chris Staley
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:36:53 -0800, sds <bscon@ix.netcom.com > wrote:

>
>i have had a Salvatore semi-auto for about 5 years and am very happy
>with it
>the only quibble i have is that maybe the pump pressure could be
>higher for better extraction with the given amount of coffee (double
>shot)

Assuming your vibe pump isn't defective (and they usually never are)
what you need to do is adjust the grind of whatever coffee you are
using. If a double seems to take too long, adjust your grinder so
that it takes the right amount of time.

That being said, checking your pump pressure might be a good idea too,
as Ken mentioned. Perhaps your OPV somehow worked itself so that it
opens at a much lower pressure than it is supposed to.

Chris


  
Date: 04 Dec 2006 08:07:05
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
"Chris Staley" <rcs914@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:ka58n29nbq5e6q2hb6vb2r6uq2helnqmjh@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:36:53 -0800, sds <bscon@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>
>
> Assuming your vibe pump isn't defective (and they usually never are)
> what you need to do is adjust the grind of whatever coffee you are
> using. If a double seems to take too long, adjust your grinder so
> that it takes the right amount of time.
>

Vibe pumps do, of course, ultimately fail. When they fail it isn't
necessarily all at once, it can be through a process of deterioration, weird
noises, intermittent function, etc. None of this is to say that I think
that this individuals problem, based upon his post, has to do with vibe pump
failure.

ken




   
Date: 04 Dec 2006 10:34:42
From: sds
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
thanks guys, very informative

yes it is a vibe pump

there is a lot of stuff in there, i am reasonably sure it has an OVP

where can i get a portafilter manometer?


"Ken Fox" <morceaudemerdeThisMerdeGoes@hotmail.com > wrote:

>"Chris Staley" <rcs914@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:ka58n29nbq5e6q2hb6vb2r6uq2helnqmjh@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 15:36:53 -0800, sds <bscon@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>
>> Assuming your vibe pump isn't defective (and they usually never are)
>> what you need to do is adjust the grind of whatever coffee you are
>> using. If a double seems to take too long, adjust your grinder so
>> that it takes the right amount of time.
>>
>
>Vibe pumps do, of course, ultimately fail. When they fail it isn't
>necessarily all at once, it can be through a process of deterioration, weird
>noises, intermittent function, etc. None of this is to say that I think
>that this individuals problem, based upon his post, has to do with vibe pump
>failure.
>
>ken
>



    
Date: 04 Dec 2006 13:23:20
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
"sds" <bscon@ix.netcom.com > wrote in message
news:4dq8n29kavbmec1g56r37n0471m771892f@4ax.com...
> thanks guys, very informative
>
> yes it is a vibe pump
>
> there is a lot of stuff in there, i am reasonably sure it has an OVP
>
> where can i get a portafilter manometer?
>

call up our friends Michael Teehan and Angelo Minocozzi (?sp) at Espresso
Resource and they will send you exactly what you need. 1-818-786-7179.
Check out their bottomless portafilters too; they are the best out there.

ken




     
Date: 04 Dec 2006 18:21:33
From: sds
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
so what the benefits of a bottomless portafilter ?
better coffee i assume
less crap and sludge building up in the bottom spouts ?

"Ken Fox" <morceaudemerdeThisMerdeGoes@hotmail.com > wrote:

>"sds" <bscon@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>news:4dq8n29kavbmec1g56r37n0471m771892f@4ax.com...
>> thanks guys, very informative
>>
>> yes it is a vibe pump
>>
>> there is a lot of stuff in there, i am reasonably sure it has an OVP
>>
>> where can i get a portafilter manometer?
>>
>
>call up our friends Michael Teehan and Angelo Minocozzi (?sp) at Espresso
>Resource and they will send you exactly what you need. 1-818-786-7179.
>Check out their bottomless portafilters too; they are the best out there.
>
>ken
>



      
Date: 04 Dec 2006 19:38:18
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
"sds" <bscon@ix.netcom.com > wrote in message
news:3rl9n2p8b7pdu34r03dks4ntb05fbkpgmj@4ax.com...
> so what the benefits of a bottomless portafilter ?
> better coffee i assume
> less crap and sludge building up in the bottom spouts ?

NO.

It's a great (self) teaching tool on proper dosing and distribution. Some,
including me, think that the resultant shots are better due to less
crema-killing contact with metal. Google group search this ng, alt.coffee,
for voluminous threads on bottomless Portafilters aka "naked Portafilters."

ken




>
> "Ken Fox" <morceaudemerdeThisMerdeGoes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"sds" <bscon@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>news:4dq8n29kavbmec1g56r37n0471m771892f@4ax.com...
>>> thanks guys, very informative
>>>
>>> yes it is a vibe pump
>>>
>>> there is a lot of stuff in there, i am reasonably sure it has an OVP
>>>
>>> where can i get a portafilter manometer?
>>>
>>
>>call up our friends Michael Teehan and Angelo Minocozzi (?sp) at Espresso
>>Resource and they will send you exactly what you need. 1-818-786-7179.
>>Check out their bottomless portafilters too; they are the best out there.
>>
>>ken
>>
>




 
Date: 03 Dec 2006 17:35:53
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: Salvatore pump pressure
"sds" <bscon@ix.netcom.com > wrote in message
news:hnl6n2d4pluoeo44e23tgld39fucct9qlq@4ax.com...
>
> i have had a Salvatore semi-auto for about 5 years and am very happy
> with it
> the only quibble i have is that maybe the pump pressure could be
> higher for better extraction with the given amount of coffee (double
> shot)
> anybody have any specific info how other machines in this class stack
> up in this regard?
>
> also
> whatever happened to the Wega machines, are they stil out there, any
> opinions on those ?
>
> tia, bs
>

I assume that your machine has both a vibratory pump and an Overpressure
Valve ("OPV"). "More pressure" is not necessarily better and the odds are
that if anything, your machine produces more than the accepted ~9 bar of
pressure at the puck, which should be the same ~9bar for both singles and
for doubles. A vibe pump that is not "tempered" with an OPV will typically
produce peak pressures of around 14-15 bar, which is not good, although at
least some machines appear to be designed for that, such as Jim Schulman's
Electra.

Pump pressure is best tested with a portafilter manometer. You can buy one
already assembled or you can make your own or if you are lucky you might
find someone who would lend one to you. Assuming there is an OPV in your
machine you could adjust it to produce an extraction pressure of around 9
bar with the aid of a manometer. If there is no OPV on your machine, you
may be able to retrofit one.

Wega machines still exist. Espresso Parts NW in Olympia WA is a major
dealer for them.

ken