coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 14 Mar 2007 18:26:17
From: Emily Davis
Subject: Silvia 110 thermostat
Where can I purchase a 110 degree thermostat for a Silvia?
TIA






 
Date: 23 Mar 2007 20:18:42
From: Felix
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
Craig (Andrews) found:
> Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic
> Switch 110=B0C (311-108)
> http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=3D431&lid=3D451&lm=3D

Ooh, that's a nice price!

> I also have some specification pdf's I saved
> from the end of /05

While spending way too much time reading about thermostats that might
fit a machine I don't own, I noticed there are several standard sizes,
and other differences. The one you just found doesn't look at all like
a Campini Ty 60, but I assume that you've verified that it can easily
be installed in a Silvia. If that's true, many of the ones I saw are
too large.

How do you know that this thermostat's amp rating is high enough?

Finally, while these switches may open reliably at/near the specified
temperature, it's clear that they might not be as accurate in the
other direction. Maybe that's why many discovered that it's better to
time the shot relative to the switch opening instead of closing, and
why PID controllers became so popular.


Felix



  
Date: 24 Mar 2007 13:14:02
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1174706322.029948.259490@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
Craig (Andrews) found:
> Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic
> Switch 110C (311-108)
> http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=431&lid=451&lm=

Ooh, that's a nice price!

> I also have some specification pdf's I saved
> from the end of /05

> While spending way too much time reading about thermostats that might
> fit a machine I don't own, I noticed there are several standard sizes,
> and other differences. The one you just found doesn't look at all like
> a Campini Ty 60, but I assume that you've verified that it can easily
> be installed in a Silvia. If that's true, many of the ones I saw are
> too large.


Yes, that's right., doesn't look at all like a Campini Ty 60, who gives
flying f**k, a coffeegeek in Scotland like I said ordered these 3 +
years ago & working just fine in my Silvia. If I didn't have this stat
why in HELL would I take the time to dig up the info man??


> How do you know that this thermostat's amp rating is high enough?

> Finally, while these switches may open reliably at/near the specified
> temperature, it's clear that they might not be as accurate in the
> other direction. Maybe that's why many discovered that it's better to
> time the shot relative to the switch opening instead of closing, and
> why PID controllers became so popular.

See ABOVE!!
Craig. Why do I waste my fuc**** time..



   
Date: 25 Mar 2007 11:46:01
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:56l4ilF298pjkU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1174706322.029948.259490@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Craig (Andrews) found:
>> Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic
>> Switch 110C (311-108)
>> http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=431&lid=451&lm=
>
> Ooh, that's a nice price!
>
>> I also have some specification pdf's I saved
>> from the end of /05
>
>> While spending way too much time reading about thermostats that might
>> fit a machine I don't own, I noticed there are several standard
>> sizes,
>> and other differences. The one you just found doesn't look at all
>> like
>> a Campini Ty 60, but I assume that you've verified that it can easily
>> be installed in a Silvia. If that's true, many of the ones I saw are
>> too large.
>
>
> Yes, that's right., doesn't look at all like a Campini Ty 60, who
> gives flying f**k, a coffeegeek in Scotland like I said ordered these
> 3 + years ago & working just fine in my Silvia. If I didn't have this
> stat why in HELL would I take the time to dig up the info man??
>
>
>> How do you know that this thermostat's amp rating is high enough?
>
>> Finally, while these switches may open reliably at/near the specified
>> temperature, it's clear that they might not be as accurate in the
>> other direction. Maybe that's why many discovered that it's better to
>> time the shot relative to the switch opening instead of closing, and
>> why PID controllers became so popular.
>
> See ABOVE!!
> Craig. Why do I waste my fuc**** time..
>

The above click thermostats carry a 15A rating @ 120V & up to 12A @240V.
The 110C (311-108) The set point is 110C +4C, reset temp 95C +6C.
The 100C stat is +3C & +5C respectively.
Craig.



 
Date: 22 Mar 2007 19:29:13
From: Felix
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
Craig (Andrews) responds:
> > He does seem uncharacteristically meanspirited.
>
> Yeah right... Read some of the shit here, LOL!

I wrote "seem uncharacteristically," because I think your postings are
usually more constructive. But if you've decided to join the fun as it
were ...

Elsewhere in this thread, you acknowledged learning about your 110C
thermostat source "3+ years" ago. Maybe you *knew* of a source, but
don't actually know one? At this point, it looks like there are none.


Felix



  
Date: 23 Mar 2007 00:27:49
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1174616952.975527.290890@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Craig (Andrews) responds:
>> > He does seem uncharacteristically meanspirited.
>>
>> Yeah right... Read some of the shit here, LOL!
>
> I wrote "seem uncharacteristically," because I think your postings are
> usually more constructive. But if you've decided to join the fun as it
> were ...
>
> Elsewhere in this thread, you acknowledged learning about your 110C
> thermostat source "3+ years" ago. Maybe you *knew* of a source, but
> don't actually know one? At this point, it looks like there are none.
>
>
> Felix
>


Felix, I KNOW the source! There ARE sources, SAME company.. The company
changed its name url!!
Here's the info: It used to be Hawcodirect.co.uk, is now
http://hawco.lablateral.com/default.asp

Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic Switch 110C (311-108)
http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=431&lid=451&lm=

Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic Switch 150C (311-110)
http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=433&lid=453&lm=

Mimimum order is 10 units. I also have some specification pdf's I saved
from the end of /05 that I'll upload to my Yahoo Photos/Documents for
you & interested partys.
Craig.



   
Date: 23 Mar 2007 00:50:03
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

> Felix, I KNOW the source! There ARE sources, SAME company.. The
> company
> changed its name url!!
> Here's the info: It used to be Hawcodirect.co.uk, is now
> http://hawco.lablateral.com/default.asp
>
> Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic Switch 110C (311-108)
> http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=431&lid=451&lm=
>
> Thermostats - Surface Mount (1/2") Bimetallic Switch 150C (311-110)
> http://hawco.lablateral.com/products.asp?id=433&lid=453&lm=
>
> Mimimum order is 10 units. I also have some specification pdf's I
> saved from the end of /05 that I'll upload to my Yahoo
> Photos/Documents for you & interested partys.
> Craig.

Sorry, I can't upload files, it's photos only.
Craig.



  
Date: 22 Mar 2007 23:17:53
From: seastl
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 22 2007 19:29:13 -0700, "Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote:

>Craig (Andrews) responds:
>> > He does seem uncharacteristically meanspirited.
>>
>> Yeah right... Read some of the shit here, LOL!
>
>I wrote "seem uncharacteristically," because I think your postings are
>usually more constructive. But if you've decided to join the fun as it
>were ...
>
>Elsewhere in this thread, you acknowledged learning about your 110C
>thermostat source "3+ years" ago. Maybe you *knew* of a source, but
>don't actually know one? At this point, it looks like there are none.

You could always find a comercial replacement at exactly the temp you
want. There are even some mfrs who make adjustable versions, and some
designs with very low differential ranges (like 5 degree and less for
some):

http://tinyurl.com/29f8fj

Brad


 
Date: 21 Mar 2007 18:33:02
From: Felix
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
"Emily Davis" responds to Craig Andrews:
> You have so much information and so little time!

He does seem uncharacteristically meanspirited. On the other hand, the
only listing I found for a 110C Silvia thermostat included a photo of
one that's identical to the one Chris advertises as 100C. Which photo
is stale? If they are as rare as they seem, perhaps the secret is
worth keeping. Campini's pictures don't help ... it wouldn't surprise
me if the part is no longer made.

If it were my machine, I'd try to install a 100C stat so it senses
temperatures that are a bit lower than usual. I have no idea if that's
possible, but I wouldn't hold out for 110C.


Felix



  
Date: 21 Mar 2007 22:38:24
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1174527182.495139.246170@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> "Emily Davis" responds to Craig Andrews:
>> You have so much information and so little time!
>
> He does seem uncharacteristically meanspirited.


Yeah right... Read some of the shit here, LOL!
Craig.


> On the other hand, the
> only listing I found for a 110C Silvia thermostat included a photo of
> one that's identical to the one Chris advertises as 100C. Which photo
> is stale? If they are as rare as they seem, perhaps the secret is
> worth keeping. Campini's pictures don't help ... it wouldn't surprise
> me if the part is no longer made.
>
> If it were my machine, I'd try to install a 100C stat so it senses
> temperatures that are a bit lower than usual. I have no idea if that's
> possible, but I wouldn't hold out for 110C.
>
>
> Felix
>



 
Date: 20 Mar 2007 14:41:38
From: gscace
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 17, 1:43 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> I e-mailed partsguru.com. None in stock. Any other suggestions?
> Thanks.
>
> "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173899097.787062.28370@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On 14, 2:26 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Where can I purchase a 110 C degree thermostat for a Silvia?
> >> TIA
>
> > partsguru.com

Try 1st Line Equipment as well, at http://www.1st-line.com/

Don't get confused. You do want the 110C thermostat, not the 100C
thermostat. Both are supplied on Silvias, The 100C thermostat is too
cold by my measurements.

-Greg



  
Date: 20 Mar 2007 18:13:55
From: jggall01
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 20 2007 14:41:38 -0700, "gscace" <gregory.scace@nist.gov >
wrote:

>Don't get confused. You do want the 110C thermostat, not the 100C
>thermostat. Both are supplied on Silvias, The 100C thermostat is too
>cold by my measurements.

Glad to hear you say that. I found the same thing, but thought maybe
I was nuts.

As part of the testing I did on a "new" pod-capable Silvia, the
hottest shot I could get with 100C tstat was 195F - pulled at the peak
of the temp curve. Shots pulled at other times were as low as 185F.

Test results (mostly PID) posted on H-B: http://tinyurl.com/yu978d

Jim


   
Date: 20 Mar 2007 18:51:22
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"jggall01" <jggall01@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:akm003lu89urlkprn5d5c5elj6l2raok3a@4ax.com...
> On 20 2007 14:41:38 -0700, "gscace" <gregory.scace@nist.gov>
> wrote:
>
>>Don't get confused. You do want the 110C thermostat, not the 100C
>>thermostat. Both are supplied on Silvias, The 100C thermostat is too
>>cold by my measurements.
>
> Glad to hear you say that. I found the same thing, but thought maybe
> I was nuts.
>
> As part of the testing I did on a "new" pod-capable Silvia, the
> hottest shot I could get with 100C tstat was 195F - pulled at the peak
> of the temp curve. Shots pulled at other times were as low as 185F.
>
> Test results (mostly PID) posted on H-B: http://tinyurl.com/yu978d
>
> Jim

I've known about that for years. The only reason Rancilio Italy changed
them over (around mid 2003) or so, was because too many people bitched
about the old 110C stat being "too" hot & getting a little water
flashing to steam @ the grouphead..
110C "too" hot, 100C "too" cool LOL!
Craig.



 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 05:13:05
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 14, 11:26 am, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> Where can I purchase a 110 degree thermostat for a Silvia?
> TIA

They usually have them in stock at Home Espresso Repair in Seattle:
<http://www.espressorepair.com/ >.

Best,
David



 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 12:38:41
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 17, 2:43 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> I e-mailed partsguru.com. None in stock. Any other suggestions?
> Thanks.
>
> "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173899097.787062.28370@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On 14, 2:26 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Where can I purchase a 110 C degree thermostat for a Silvia?
> >> TIA
>
> > partsguru.com

Sure! = CHRISCOFFEE.COM


http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/parts/statsandhilimit

Use the 140 C stat for steaming - no dot
and the 110 for brew -- red dot.



  
Date: 17 Mar 2007 15:54:18
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1174160320.991032.162020@e1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> On 17, 2:43 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I e-mailed partsguru.com. None in stock. Any other suggestions?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> news:1173899097.787062.28370@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > On 14, 2:26 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >> Where can I purchase a 110 C degree thermostat for a Silvia?
>> >> TIA
>>
>> > partsguru.com
>
> Sure! = CHRISCOFFEE.COM
>
>
> http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/parts/statsandhilimit
>
> Use the 140 C stat for steaming - no dot
> and the 110 for brew -- red dot.
>

Guess ya can't read then.., it's a 100C brew stat!
I know 1 source, don't feel like posting it though..
Craig.



   
Date: 21 Mar 2007 20:07:57
From: Emily Davis
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Craig Andrews" on 3-17-07 said:

> Guess ya can't read then.., it's a 100C brew stat!
I know 1 source, don't feel like posting it though..<

"Craig Andrews" on 3-20-07 said:

>I've known about that for years. The only reason Rancilio Italy changed
them over (around mid 2003) or so, was because too many people bitched
about the old 110C stat being "too" hot & getting a little water
flashing to steam @ the grouphead..
110C "too" hot, 100C "too" cool LOL!<

You have so much information and so little time!







    
Date: 21 Mar 2007 21:07:43
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat

"Emily Davis" <scainnca@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:xggMh.2117$Kd3.656@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...
>
> "Craig Andrews" on 3-17-07 said:
>
>> Guess ya can't read then.., it's a 100C brew stat!
> I know 1 source, don't feel like posting it though..<
>
> "Craig Andrews" on 3-20-07 said:
>
>>I've known about that for years. The only reason Rancilio Italy
>>changed
> them over (around mid 2003) or so, was because too many people bitched
> about the old 110C stat being "too" hot & getting a little water
> flashing to steam @ the grouphead..
> 110C "too" hot, 100C "too" cool LOL!<
>
> You have so much information and so little time!


Well, the source is in England., & they have a minimum quantity order.
Three years ago the person who ordered them didn't have to order very
many as he lives in the UK, Scotland. That very well may have changed in
the 3+ years since..
Craig.



 
Date: 14 Mar 2007 12:04:58
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
On 14, 2:26 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> Where can I purchase a 110 C degree thermostat for a Silvia?
> TIA

partsguru.com



  
Date: 17 Mar 2007 11:43:55
From: Emily Davis
Subject: Re: Silvia 110 thermostat
I e-mailed partsguru.com. None in stock. Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1173899097.787062.28370@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
> On 14, 2:26 pm, "Emily Davis" <scain...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Where can I purchase a 110 C degree thermostat for a Silvia?
>> TIA
>
> partsguru.com
>