coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 24 Oct 2006 05:45:11
From: mikeyb411
Subject: Silvia- I think she's getting weaker.

My silvia is the bomb. At least she was for the past 5 years. Now she
isn't rocking my world.

She can't seem to make espresso in reasonable amount of time, lack of
pressure. I don't know how to isolate the problem, I think its the
pump. I am not even tamping and it hardly pushes anything through.
I backflush every few months, clean all the shower screen etc. Is it
difficult to replace the pump ( I am not an electrical engineer)? I
bought a pressure gauge for the portafilter but can't make it work.
Now it is extremely loud, and when I try to use the steam wand for
water it doesn't push water or work so well and there is no steam tip
on it either (see below)

I recently tried replacing the steam tip, the threading inside the pipe
broke when I was unscrewing it, and suggestions on how to get it out,
other than replacing the entire steam pipe.

Thanks,





 
Date: 24 Oct 2006 21:49:09
From: foosh
Subject: Re: Silvia- I think she's getting weaker.
mikeyb411 wrote:
> My silvia is the bomb. At least she was for the past 5 years. Now she
> isn't rocking my world.

You've eliminated the possibility of scaly boiler/pipes?



 
Date: 24 Oct 2006 18:37:01
From: mikeyb411
Subject: Re: Silvia- I think she's getting weaker.

It is. But I also wonder if that could be pressure related since there
is nothing coming through the portafilter, but sometimes leaks through
the sides.

How do I clean the solenoid coil? or worse case scenario replace it.

Also, do you know how to use one of these pressure gadgets for the
portafilter.

THanks,
Coffee for Connoisseurs wrote:
> >Now it is extremely loud,
>
> Often a symptom of solenoid coil problems. Is the 3 way valve leaking during
> the shot?
>
>
> --
> Alan
>
> alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
> www.coffeeco.com.au



  
Date: 25 Oct 2006 03:13:44
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: Silvia- I think she's getting weaker.
You can disassemble & clean the VALVE, see
http://member.newsguy.com/~jenkins/silvia/, but when it comes to the coil
replacement is the only option.


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au




 
Date: 24 Oct 2006 21:23:32
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: Silvia- I think she's getting weaker.
>Now it is extremely loud,

Often a symptom of solenoid coil problems. Is the 3 way valve leaking during
the shot?


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au




 
Date: 24 Oct 2006 07:49:41
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Silvia- I think she's needs a pump

mikeyb411 wrote:


Pump is shot.

Is it
> difficult to replace the pump ( I am not an electrical engineer)?

No -- easy! Small crescent wrench is about it.


> bought a pressure gauge for the portafilter but can't make it work.
> Now it is extremely loud, and when I try to use the steam wand for
> water it doesn't push water or work so well and there is no steam tip
> on it either (see below)
>
> I recently tried replacing the steam tip, the threading inside the pipe
> broke when I was unscrewing it, and suggestions on how to get it out,
> other than replacing the entire steam pipe.

Nope you need a new pipe if the threads are busted off
>
regards, Dave