coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 25 Nov 2006 16:49:42
From:
Subject: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Hello all,

Well I just got my Silvia and Rocky and am ready to kick some butt.
But first off I want to do my homework, and even after sifting through
here and other sites I don't feel totally prepared. Can someone please
point me to some really good instructions?

Also, one quick question while I'm here, it says to run the brew switch
for a few seconds with the portafilter removed to Fill the Boiler.
Does the whole boiler fill up that quickly????

Thanks!!!!

n*





 
Date: 26 Nov 2006 11:03:43
From: normstar
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Just for my .02, I'm a Firefox guy and it has always worked great for
me.

And thanks for the tips!

n*



 
Date: 26 Nov 2006 08:52:02
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
anorman74@gmail.com wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>Well I just got my Silvia and Rocky and am ready to kick some butt.
>But first off I want to do my homework, and even after sifting through
>here and other sites I don't feel totally prepared. Can someone please
>point me to some really good instructions?
>

Read my website.. learn from my mistakes.

You have covered two of the five parts of the equation:
-Grinder
-Machine
Now the remaining three:
-water
-coffee
-experience to gain technique and consistency

The first 4 are fairly easy.

In regards to the coffee, get better coffee. You can order through the
mail, but see if you can find a local source of freshly-roasted
coffee. IMO, coffee that is two weeks old since roasted is too old for
good espresso. I try to use my home-roasted coffee up before it is
about 10 days old.

French Roast, IMO, is too dark for the best espresso experience, but
taste is an individual thing. If all the beans are oily, the coffee
was either over-roasted, old, of low quality to begin with, or stored
improperly.. or all four... IMO.

Randy "Imo" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Thinking about changing my middle name





  
Date: 26 Nov 2006 10:24:54
From: Frank103
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in the last
four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site is
down. I tried
in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to log-on.
Thanks,

"Randy G." <frcn@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote in message
news:53hjm25l8c77648v353n2uh8h5362mdbkp@4ax.com...
> anorman74@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>Hello all,
>>
>>Well I just got my Silvia and Rocky and am ready to kick some butt.
>>But first off I want to do my homework, and even after sifting through
>>here and other sites I don't feel totally prepared. Can someone please
>>point me to some really good instructions?
>>
>
> Read my website.. learn from my mistakes.
>
> You have covered two of the five parts of the equation:
> -Grinder
> -Machine
> Now the remaining three:
> -water
> -coffee
> -experience to gain technique and consistency
>
> The first 4 are fairly easy.
>
> In regards to the coffee, get better coffee. You can order through the
> mail, but see if you can find a local source of freshly-roasted
> coffee. IMO, coffee that is two weeks old since roasted is too old for
> good espresso. I try to use my home-roasted coffee up before it is
> about 10 days old.
>
> French Roast, IMO, is too dark for the best espresso experience, but
> taste is an individual thing. If all the beans are oily, the coffee
> was either over-roasted, old, of low quality to begin with, or stored
> improperly.. or all four... IMO.
>
> Randy "Imo" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
> Thinking about changing my middle name
>
>
>




   
Date: 26 Nov 2006 13:54:12
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!

"Frank103" <frank103@cox.net > wrote in message
news:%Zkah.59$_s7.27@newsfe21.lga...
> Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in
> the last
> four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
> Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site
> is down. I tried
> in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to
> log-on.
> Thanks,
>

Maybe a DNS resolver issue with the Firefox browser. Can you do a dos
command ipconfig/flush dns?, without the question k of course.
Craig.



    
Date: 26 Nov 2006 11:26:02
From: Frank103
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Craig, thanks for the help. I have it now.
Frank

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:4su66eF10r70tU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "Frank103" <frank103@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:%Zkah.59$_s7.27@newsfe21.lga...
>> Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in the
>> last
>> four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
>> Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site is
>> down. I tried
>> in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to log-on.
>> Thanks,
>>
>
> Maybe a DNS resolver issue with the Firefox browser. Can you do a dos
> command ipconfig/flush dns?, without the question k of course.
> Craig.




    
Date: 26 Nov 2006 13:55:53
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!

"Craig Andrews" <alt.coffee@deletethis.rogers.com > wrote in message
news:4su66eF10r70tU1@mid.individual.net...
>
> "Frank103" <frank103@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:%Zkah.59$_s7.27@newsfe21.lga...
>> Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in
>> the last
>> four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
>> Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site
>> is down. I tried
>> in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to
>> log-on.
>> Thanks,
>>
>
> Maybe a DNS resolver issue with the Firefox browser. Can you do a dos
> command ipconfig/flush dns?, without the question k of course.
> Craig.

Sorry, no spacing between flush & dns too!
Craig.



   
Date: 26 Nov 2006 10:39:39
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
"Frank103" <frank103@cox.net > wrote:

>Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in the last
>four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
>Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site is
>down. I tried
>in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to log-on.
>Thanks,

Quite odd, that..

In any case, it is not hosted where it is registered, so instead, try
this:
http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html
That is the direct link to the home page.


Randy "take a left at http and go until you see www" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com




    
Date: 26 Nov 2006 10:59:02
From: Frank103
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Thank you, Randy. It worked like a charm. I got right through.

"Randy G." <frcn@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote in message
news:9pnjm2hliuvjab29989rkido0i3pc5o3kk@4ax.com...
> "Frank103" <frank103@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in the
>>last
>>four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
>>Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site is
>>down. I tried
>>in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to log-on.
>>Thanks,
>
> Quite odd, that..
>
> In any case, it is not hosted where it is registered, so instead, try
> this:
> http://home.surewest.net/frcn/Coffee/Coffee.html
> That is the direct link to the home page.
>
>
> Randy "take a left at http and go until you see www" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
>
>




   
Date: 26 Nov 2006 12:37:33
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Don't understand this. I never have a problem getting in immediately on
this DSL line with IE6.

"Frank103" <frank103@cox.net > wrote in message
news:%Zkah.59$_s7.27@newsfe21.lga...
> Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in the
> last
> four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
> Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site is
> down. I tried
> in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to log-on.
> Thanks,




   
Date: 26 Nov 2006 13:29:05
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!

"Frank103" <frank103@cox.net > wrote in message
news:%Zkah.59$_s7.27@newsfe21.lga...
> Randy, how do I get on your website. I have tried about 15 times in
> the last
> four days and all I end up doing is waiting and waiting until Mozilla
> Foxfire puts up a message saying either the site is busy or the site
> is down. I tried
> in the morning and at night and no luck. When is the best time to
> log-on.
> Thanks,
>

Frank, I have absolutely no problem getting there with IE6 in a blink of
an eye..
Craig.



  
Date: 26 Nov 2006 18:07:53
From: Ton
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Randy G. wrote:

> Read my website.. learn from my mistakes.

I second that. I already learned a lot from it and it is not only
instructive but also fun to read.


 
Date: 26 Nov 2006 07:19:01
From: normstar
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!

Cordovero wrote:
> Unless the French Roast had just been roasted on site, neither will give you
> any crema.
>
> Do yourself a favor and mail order some fresh espresso beans --
> espressovivace.com is my personal favorite for starting out, since they are
> very well balanced espresso blends with heavy crema.
>
> C

Thanks C, I'll do that. I'm having decent results so far but I really
need a better tamper. I have an RB on order so hopefully it comes
soon!

n*



 
Date: 25 Nov 2006 22:10:55
From: normstar
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
I got a pack of Lavazza Super Crema, but I also bought some cheap
French Roast at Costco to expirament with initially. I'd love to hear
any bean suggestions that you may have!

Secondly, no I did not get an instructional CD.

n*



  
Date: 26 Nov 2006 00:06:00
From: Cordovero
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Unless the French Roast had just been roasted on site, neither will give you
any crema.

Do yourself a favor and mail order some fresh espresso beans --
espressovivace.com is my personal favorite for starting out, since they are
very well balanced espresso blends with heavy crema.

C

"normstar" <anorman74@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1164521455.287476.203310@l39g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...
>I got a pack of Lavazza Super Crema, but I also bought some cheap
> French Roast at Costco to expirament with initially. I'd love to hear
> any bean suggestions that you may have!
>
> Secondly, no I did not get an instructional CD.
>
> n*
>




 
Date: 25 Nov 2006 22:18:44
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Run the brew switch until water comes through the brew head. The boiler
will be filled when you see the water. Did you get the instructional CD?
Just follow its instructions.

<anorman74@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1164502182.516285.122780@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> Well I just got my Silvia and Rocky and am ready to kick some butt.
> But first off I want to do my homework, and even after sifting through
> here and other sites I don't feel totally prepared. Can someone please
> point me to some really good instructions?
>
> Also, one quick question while I'm here, it says to run the brew switch
> for a few seconds with the portafilter removed to Fill the Boiler.
> Does the whole boiler fill up that quickly????
>
> Thanks!!!!
>
> n*
>




 
Date: 25 Nov 2006 18:56:04
From: Cordovero
Subject: Re: Silvia Newbie needs help!
Step one: where are you getting your beans?

C

<anorman74@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1164502182.516285.122780@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> Well I just got my Silvia and Rocky and am ready to kick some butt.
> But first off I want to do my homework, and even after sifting through
> here and other sites I don't feel totally prepared. Can someone please
> point me to some really good instructions?
>
> Also, one quick question while I'm here, it says to run the brew switch
> for a few seconds with the portafilter removed to Fill the Boiler.
> Does the whole boiler fill up that quickly????
>
> Thanks!!!!
>
> n*
>