coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 16 Feb 2007 07:30:38
From: pheasant
Subject: Stir crazy/convection oven
Just put one of these together. Am about googled out on tips to get going.

If anyone here uses this set up (not you John) ;) would you please be so
kind as to post your batch size. I'd like to do a pound at a time, and
just wondering if anyone here has done so, and results as far as roast
consistency, power of the stirrer, etc.

Gotta learn the machine, but don't want to really re invent the wheel if
possibe. On the flip side, may stumble onto a roast I've not had before
and like it whilst learning it.

Thanks
k




 
Date: 17 Feb 2007 23:06:18
From: stereoplegic
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven

> > pheasant wrote:
> > results as far as roast
> > consistency, power of the stirrer, etc.

consistency: awesome. stirrer: sucks. replace it if you can.

> > Gotta learn the machine, but don't want to really re invent the wheel if
> > possibe.

reinvented my wheel. check it out here: http://snipurl.com/eWOK_CO

> cschepers <cschep...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have the heating element disconnected from the stir-crazy
> (should have put in a switch instead)

i'm using a 600w wall dimmer to limit current to my eWOK's heating
element (after all, the CO's already running at 1200w).

> keeps me from using the big spacers that others run.

when i could get the SC's motor to work, i found that a yardstick was
all the spacer i needed.

> the stirrer will jam, reverse direction, jam, reverse direction.

which is why i eventually gave up on the SC's motor. too many
reversals/stalls at critical moments.

> If you haven't added any agitation/spacing help to
> the stir arms, get some "European-style Terminal Strips" from Radio
> Shack (http://tinyurl.com/33j6oh). Cut the plastic away and connect
> them to the arms to space things out.

i'd recommend simply removing the screws (after which the strips will
slide out of the plastic) rather than cutting the plastic (very hard,
thick plastic, easy to cut yourself attempting to cut the plastic).



 
Date: 17 Feb 2007 18:17:11
From: LF
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
On Feb 17, 12:26 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> No, it's known around here as, 'Big Mutha'. I'll try to get the pictures
> posted, but I'm just a 'little' busy right now so I'll appreciate everyone's
> patience.

Robert,
Thanks. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I still have a Rancilio
Nancy to get a new pump for and to PID -- in case I get any spare
time.

All the best,
Larry



 
Date: 16 Feb 2007 19:16:02
From: LF
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
& if anyone's interested
> I'll TRY to get some pics out on my web page SOON.
>
I look forward to seeing your pics. I've roasted 3 batches in my SC/
CO. Big improvement from an i-Roast, IMO.

I removed the heat coil from the Stir Crazy, and used it to beef up
the stiring mechanism. It's like a big spring; I threaded the stir
mecanism thru it. I replaced the plastic parts between the motor and
the stir mechanism with metal parts. It even works ok with smallish
Etheopian Sidamo beans. I preheat to 400, use a digital thermometer
and this profile (from k Prince, aka the coffee kid, IIRC): 375F
for 1 min., 405F for 4 min., 450F for 1 to 1.5 minutes, or till done
(by sound, appearance, and aroma). I place the CO directly on the SC,
without a spacer. It works fine for me. I hear that I'll get a more
even roast with a spacer between the SC and the CO, but havn't gotten
around to making one yet.

All the best,
Larry



 
Date: 16 Feb 2007 21:28:55
From: cschepers
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
pheasant wrote:
> Just put one of these together. Am about googled out on tips to get going.
>
> If anyone here uses this set up (not you John) ;) would you please be so
> kind as to post your batch size. I'd like to do a pound at a time, and
> just wondering if anyone here has done so, and results as far as roast
> consistency, power of the stirrer, etc.
>
> Gotta learn the machine, but don't want to really re invent the wheel if
> possibe. On the flip side, may stumble onto a roast I've not had before
> and like it whilst learning it.
>
> Thanks
> k

I usually run about 13 oz. in mine. I have the heating element
disconnected from the stir-crazy (should have put in a switch instead),
which does seem to decrease the reasonable batch size, and definitely
keeps me from using the big spacers that others run. Anything much more
than a pound and it tends to stall. Below about 8-10 oz, the stirrers
aren't very effective, and the whole mass of beans just gets pushed
around without any kind of real agitation.

Roast consistency has always been pretty good. Stirring power is fine,
although I've had problems with small beans occasionally (Yemens, small
Ethiopians, etc.).. the stirrer will jam, reverse direction, jam,
reverse direction.. If you haven't added any agitation/spacing help to
the stir arms, get some "European-style Terminal Strips" from Radio
Shack (http://tinyurl.com/33j6oh). Cut the plastic away and connect
them to the arms to space things out. Also find some rollers of some
kind (like these: http://tinyurl.com/2y3mln) to additionally help
agitation. I've not had problems with the center nut warping like
others, I just covered it with a couple layers of heavy-duty foil.

Roasting-wise, I set the heater at about 400 or so until I hit 1st crack
(usually around 9-10 mins), then back the temp down a bit until the
roast is done (12-14 mins total).

Chris Schepers


  
Date: 16 Feb 2007 22:40:14
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
I run 1# - 2# in each batch. I could go to as high as I want, at least to
the capacity of the Stir Crazy (wouldn't want to go as high as the aluminum
collar). Oh, I replaced the SC joke of a motor with a more robust industrial
grade 120v motor & replaced the wire agitators with 1/16" x 2" aluminum bar
stock. I turned the edge to a 15 degree angle to turn the beans over
aggressively for even roasting. It's working great & if anyone's interested
I'll TRY to get some pics out on my web page SOON.
--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"cschepers" <cschepers@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:rmpBh.287986$aJ.130305@attbi_s21...
> pheasant wrote:
>> Just put one of these together. Am about googled out on tips to get
>> going.
>>
>> If anyone here uses this set up (not you John) ;) would you please be so
>> kind as to post your batch size. I'd like to do a pound at a time, and
>> just wondering if anyone here has done so, and results as far as roast
>> consistency, power of the stirrer, etc.
>>
>> Gotta learn the machine, but don't want to really re invent the wheel if
>> possibe. On the flip side, may stumble onto a roast I've not had before
>> and like it whilst learning it.
>>
>> Thanks
>> k
>
> I usually run about 13 oz. in mine. I have the heating element
> disconnected from the stir-crazy (should have put in a switch instead),
> which does seem to decrease the reasonable batch size, and definitely
> keeps me from using the big spacers that others run. Anything much more
> than a pound and it tends to stall. Below about 8-10 oz, the stirrers
> aren't very effective, and the whole mass of beans just gets pushed around
> without any kind of real agitation.
>
> Roast consistency has always been pretty good. Stirring power is fine,
> although I've had problems with small beans occasionally (Yemens, small
> Ethiopians, etc.).. the stirrer will jam, reverse direction, jam, reverse
> direction.. If you haven't added any agitation/spacing help to the stir
> arms, get some "European-style Terminal Strips" from Radio Shack
> (http://tinyurl.com/33j6oh). Cut the plastic away and connect them to the
> arms to space things out. Also find some rollers of some kind (like
> these: http://tinyurl.com/2y3mln) to additionally help agitation. I've
> not had problems with the center nut warping like others, I just covered
> it with a couple layers of heavy-duty foil.
>
> Roasting-wise, I set the heater at about 400 or so until I hit 1st crack
> (usually around 9-10 mins), then back the temp down a bit until the roast
> is done (12-14 mins total).
>
> Chris Schepers




   
Date: 17 Feb 2007 06:18:22
From: pheasant
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
Robert Harmon wrote:
> I run 1# - 2# in each batch. I could go to as high as I want, at least to
> the capacity of the Stir Crazy (wouldn't want to go as high as the aluminum
> collar). Oh, I replaced the SC joke of a motor with a more robust industrial
> grade 120v motor & replaced the wire agitators with 1/16" x 2" aluminum bar
> stock. I turned the edge to a 15 degree angle to turn the beans over
> aggressively for even roasting. It's working great & if anyone's interested
> I'll TRY to get some pics out on my web page SOON.

After cobbling this thing together, the above seemed so logical a step
even before I test out the newly assembled machine, was just pondering
how to do it. Please post pictures. Winters are long here and inside
projects are needed. Have you named it Frankenroaster?


    
Date: 17 Feb 2007 17:26:35
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
No, it's known around here as, 'Big Mutha'. I'll try to get the pictures
posted, but I'm just a 'little' busy right now so I'll appreciate everyone's
patience.
--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"pheasant" <kiavan02@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:ZqWdnUULWK4Wb0vYnZ2dnUVZ_u6rnZ2d@midco.net...
> Robert Harmon wrote:
>> I run 1# - 2# in each batch. I could go to as high as I want, at least
>> to the capacity of the Stir Crazy (wouldn't want to go as high as the
>> aluminum collar). Oh, I replaced the SC joke of a motor with a more
>> robust industrial grade 120v motor & replaced the wire agitators with
>> 1/16" x 2" aluminum bar stock. I turned the edge to a 15 degree angle to
>> turn the beans over aggressively for even roasting. It's working great &
>> if anyone's interested I'll TRY to get some pics out on my web page SOON.
>
> After cobbling this thing together, the above seemed so logical a step
> even before I test out the newly assembled machine, was just pondering how
> to do it. Please post pictures. Winters are long here and inside
> projects are needed. Have you named it Frankenroaster?




 
Date: 16 Feb 2007 12:38:31
From: Shadd
Subject: Re: Stir crazy/convection oven
On Feb 16, 8:30 am, pheasant <kiava...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> Just put one of these together. Am about googled out on tips to get going.
>
> If anyone here uses this set up (not you John) ;) would you please be so
> kind as to post your batch size. I'd like to do a pound at a time, and
> just wondering if anyone here has done so, and results as far as roast
> consistency, power of the stirrer, etc.
>
> Gotta learn the machine, but don't want to really re invent the wheel if
> possibe. On the flip side, may stumble onto a roast I've not had before
> and like it whilst learning it.
>
> Thanks
> k

Hi k, I use the SC/CO method. I've been using it for about a year
now. I usually use one heaping cup of green beans...not sure how much
that works out to. Any more and I stall out the mixing vanes. I
think if I JB weld the stiring mechanism so that it doesn't wobble at
all - I could do a bit more. I can do two roasts back to back, so
it's enough...lots more than the average home roaster or popcorn
popper. The only bigger option would probably be the RK grill method.
I use a cheesecake pan spacer and roasts are consistent and easy to
control. I preheat to 350-400 degrees. Dump the beans and lower the
heat to 300 for 4 minutes, then crank it back up to 400 or so. The
batch takes about 8 to 9 minutes for full city.

Have fun...shadd