coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 19 Oct 2006 02:52:47
From: PhilB
Subject: Tampering with your coffee...
>From the John Lewis 'choosing a coffee machine page':

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Tea+and+Coffee/Coffee+Makers/529/12_Buying+a+coffee+maker/Content.aspx

Tampering coffee
You'll always spot a barista doing this. After they've filled the
filter holder with coffee they'll gently tap the top of it, levelling
off the coffee, before locking the holder into the machine. This is to
make sure the water filters through evenly. Too much 'tampering'
and the water will take too long. Top machines feature an in-built
tamper.

That would be Tamping, presumably... :-)





 
Date: 19 Oct 2006 10:05:29
From: PhilB
Subject: Re: Tampering with your coffee...
Actually, should have said that the links in your original post are
helpful too, even if my original post was just mocking the 'tampering
with your coffee' phrase.

On Oct 19, 6:03 pm, "PhilB" <philip.bow...@gmail.com > wrote:
> No offense taken ;-) Stuart saved me from having to find a way to let
> you down gently...
>
> Like the 'help' post..
>
> Phil
>
> On Oct 19, 5:46 pm, "JulesG" <jules.gob...@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
> > > I see that PhilB's irony flew straight over your head!
>
> > > StuartDid it? We read even worse on the net and unfortunately it's often
> > written seriously. The Lewis article is a good example. Good if PhilB
> > wrote in irony, I was afraid it was a hopeless case...
>
> > PhilB, I'm sorry if I offended you !
>
> > I wrote this one a few weeks ago:
> > "Since la creme de la crema of the CoffeeGEEKS are reading this thread,
> > maybe you can help me. I think my Xpresso machine is broken. I
> > suspect it is the pump. Nothing comes out !
>
> > I start with green beans and I only buy the most expensive I can find.
> > I then weight each bean individually for uniformity. I roast very
> > quickly to seize the beans like steak and I stop as soon as I smell
> > smoke to protect the ozone layer. While the beans are still hot, I
> > grind them at the finest position with my 800$ grinder and then I let
> > the coffee rest for 48 hours on the counter to release the gas. That
> > way, I am confident I have the best !
>
> > I use a triple basket. I fill it with coffee and I tamp to 30.00
> > pounds, repeating filling and tamping as often as needed so the basket
> > is filled to the rim. I can do it real fast, that's good Barristo
> > technique ! I even posted a video on YouTube.
>
> > Finally, I insert the PF in my 2000$ chromed Xpresso machine, turn it
> > on and hit the brew switch. Nothing comes out, even after waiting a
> > few minutes. The pump is broken isn't it ? "



 
Date: 19 Oct 2006 10:03:46
From: PhilB
Subject: Re: Tampering with your coffee...
No offense taken ;-) Stuart saved me from having to find a way to let
you down gently...

Like the 'help' post..

Phil

On Oct 19, 5:46 pm, "JulesG" <jules.gob...@videotron.ca > wrote:
> > I see that PhilB's irony flew straight over your head!
>
> > StuartDid it? We read even worse on the net and unfortunately it's often
> written seriously. The Lewis article is a good example. Good if PhilB
> wrote in irony, I was afraid it was a hopeless case...
>
> PhilB, I'm sorry if I offended you !
>
> I wrote this one a few weeks ago:
> "Since la creme de la crema of the CoffeeGEEKS are reading this thread,
> maybe you can help me. I think my Xpresso machine is broken. I
> suspect it is the pump. Nothing comes out !
>
> I start with green beans and I only buy the most expensive I can find.
> I then weight each bean individually for uniformity. I roast very
> quickly to seize the beans like steak and I stop as soon as I smell
> smoke to protect the ozone layer. While the beans are still hot, I
> grind them at the finest position with my 800$ grinder and then I let
> the coffee rest for 48 hours on the counter to release the gas. That
> way, I am confident I have the best !
>
> I use a triple basket. I fill it with coffee and I tamp to 30.00
> pounds, repeating filling and tamping as often as needed so the basket
> is filled to the rim. I can do it real fast, that's good Barristo
> technique ! I even posted a video on YouTube.
>
> Finally, I insert the PF in my 2000$ chromed Xpresso machine, turn it
> on and hit the brew switch. Nothing comes out, even after waiting a
> few minutes. The pump is broken isn't it ? "



 
Date: 19 Oct 2006 09:46:21
From: JulesG
Subject: Re: Tampering with your coffee...

> I see that PhilB's irony flew straight over your head!
>
> Stuart

Did it? We read even worse on the net and unfortunately it's often
written seriously. The Lewis article is a good example. Good if PhilB
wrote in irony, I was afraid it was a hopeless case...

PhilB, I'm sorry if I offended you !

I wrote this one a few weeks ago:
"Since la creme de la crema of the CoffeeGEEKS are reading this thread,
maybe you can help me. I think my Xpresso machine is broken. I
suspect it is the pump. Nothing comes out !

I start with green beans and I only buy the most expensive I can find.
I then weight each bean individually for uniformity. I roast very
quickly to seize the beans like steak and I stop as soon as I smell
smoke to protect the ozone layer. While the beans are still hot, I
grind them at the finest position with my 800$ grinder and then I let
the coffee rest for 48 hours on the counter to release the gas. That
way, I am confident I have the best !

I use a triple basket. I fill it with coffee and I tamp to 30.00
pounds, repeating filling and tamping as often as needed so the basket
is filled to the rim. I can do it real fast, that's good Barristo
technique ! I even posted a video on YouTube.

Finally, I insert the PF in my 2000$ chromed Xpresso machine, turn it
on and hit the brew switch. Nothing comes out, even after waiting a
few minutes. The pump is broken isn't it ? "



 
Date: 19 Oct 2006 05:52:59
From: JulesG
Subject: Re: Tampering with your coffee...
PhilB wrote:
> >From the John Lewis 'choosing a coffee machine page':
>
> http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Tea+and+Coffee/Coffee+Makers/529/12_Buying+a+coffee+maker/Content.aspx
>
> Tampering coffee
> You'll always spot a barista doing this. After they've filled the
> filter holder with coffee they'll gently tap the top of it, levelling
> off the coffee, before locking the holder into the machine. This is to
> make sure the water filters through evenly. Too much 'tampering'
> and the water will take too long. Top machines feature an in-built
> tamper.
>
> That would be Tamping, presumably... :-)

Humm... it is not that simple. I suggest you read this k Prince
article on CoffeeGEEK. A good tamp is mandatory for good espresso and
it is not that easy to do it right.
http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/kprince/10-08-2006

Regarding the John Lewis article.... well, if I were you, i'd look
elsewhere for info. You may want to start here:
http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html



  
Date: 19 Oct 2006 16:48:46
From: hudson
Subject: Re: Tampering with your coffee...

"JulesG" <jules.gobeil@videotron.ca > wrote in message
news:1161262379.596656.225480@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...
> PhilB wrote:
>> >From the John Lewis 'choosing a coffee machine page':
>>
>> http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical/Kitchen+Appliances/Tea+and+Coffee/Coffee+Makers/529/12_Buying+a+coffee+maker/Content.aspx
>>
>> Tampering coffee
>> You'll always spot a barista doing this. After they've filled the
>> filter holder with coffee they'll gently tap the top of it, levelling
>> off the coffee, before locking the holder into the machine. This is to
>> make sure the water filters through evenly. Too much 'tampering'
>> and the water will take too long. Top machines feature an in-built
>> tamper.
>>
>> That would be Tamping, presumably... :-)
>
> Humm... it is not that simple. I suggest you read this k Prince
> article on CoffeeGEEK. A good tamp is mandatory for good espresso and
> it is not that easy to do it right.
> http://www.coffeegeek.com/opinions/kprince/10-08-2006
>
> Regarding the John Lewis article.... well, if I were you, i'd look
> elsewhere for info. You may want to start here:
> http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide.html
>

I see that PhilB's irony flew straight over your head!

Stuart