coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 28 Dec 2006 06:24:49
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)

the Nth annual riley's-slash-june&barry's holiday bash is currently
scheduled for 27-jan-07. the usual suspects are invited, of course,
and newcomers always welcome, provided they don't traumatize maddie,
the cat*, or get us arrested. ;) crash space will be at a premium,
so plan accordingly. for those of you thinking, "oh, it's too far
away," well.... tough. maybe simpson will show up this year (hah
hah hah... i make myself laugh sometimes!).


we are currently debating upon the party location. all previous
versions have been at our tiny house, but this year we have 2400sqft
of new-store-goodness to consider.

so, there will definitely be a party. we just don't know where, yet.

if it's at the house, the usual disclaimers apply regarding crash
space and pancakes on sunday. if it's at the store, then we'll do
something about crash space and maybe there'll be pancakes at the
store on sunday. or not. or maybe at the super 8 in belleville. i
dunno, and no one else does either.

confused?


--barry "stay tuned"

*this used to read "pets", but we lost both thunder-the-wonder-dog and
secret, ruler of the universe this past summer. maddie thinks they've
gone to louisiana.










 
Date: 29 Jan 2007 20:45:30
From: Felix
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
jim schulman (@ameritech.net) writes:
> I did hear you trying to explain that the colored kers on
> the floor by the dock door **were not** a hopscotch court.

I believe the "kers" were merely color samples, but knowing almost
nothing about hopscotch, I didn't stay long once the game was
underway. Trying to be objective ... it was a *fabulous* party.


Felix



 
Date: 29 Jan 2007 17:45:48
From: Felix
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Ken Fox writes:
> Starbucks has awful fudge

If you say so ... it's been a while since I've been in one. I bought
four flavors of fudge at Riley's!

If you don't "croak" during the next year or so ... taking public
transportation from the airport to the store is quite easy if your
flight doesn't arrive too early. My train arrived at Belleville
station about ten minutes before the first afternoon bus left, and the
driver knew where to stop ("just past the QuikTrip").


Felix



 
Date: 28 Jan 2007 19:40:24
From: Felix
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Barry Jarrett (@rileys-coffee.com) writes:
> the party will be at the new store:
>
> 1900 lebanon ave.
> belleville, il 62221

Thank you for your hospitality. And thank you again, because I should
have said so earlier. I especially enjoyed meeting Helen.

I hope your new store is successful. (I would consider selling
doughnuts on a trial basis, limiting the initial offering to one
variety.) I just looked for Starbucks retail locations in 62221, and
discovered that you have no competition :-)


Felix



  
Date: 29 Jan 2007 08:45:16
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
"Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1170042024.852309.306340@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Barry Jarrett (@rileys-coffee.com) writes:
>> the party will be at the new store:
>>
>> 1900 lebanon ave.
>> belleville, il 62221
>
> Thank you for your hospitality. And thank you again, because I should
> have said so earlier. I especially enjoyed meeting Helen.
>
> I hope your new store is successful. (I would consider selling
> doughnuts on a trial basis, limiting the initial offering to one
> variety.) I just looked for Starbucks retail locations in 62221, and
> discovered that you have no competition :-)
>
>
> Felix
>

Starbucks has awful fudge, not to mention their coffee:-)

Congrats, Barry!

ken




 
Date: 12 Jan 2007 01:54:14
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)


the party will be at the new store:

1900 lebanon ave.
belleville, il 62221


if anyone needs crash space, please RSVP so we can make arrangements.

it's BYOB, due to prevailing liquor laws.







On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:24:49 GMT, Barry Jarrett
<barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote:

>
>the Nth annual riley's-slash-june&barry's holiday bash is currently
>scheduled for 27-jan-07. the usual suspects are invited, of course,
>and newcomers always welcome, provided they don't traumatize maddie,
>the cat*, or get us arrested. ;) crash space will be at a premium,
>so plan accordingly. for those of you thinking, "oh, it's too far
>away," well.... tough. maybe simpson will show up this year (hah
>hah hah... i make myself laugh sometimes!).
>
>
>we are currently debating upon the party location. all previous
>versions have been at our tiny house, but this year we have 2400sqft
>of new-store-goodness to consider.
>
>so, there will definitely be a party. we just don't know where, yet.
>
>if it's at the house, the usual disclaimers apply regarding crash
>space and pancakes on sunday. if it's at the store, then we'll do
>something about crash space and maybe there'll be pancakes at the
>store on sunday. or not. or maybe at the super 8 in belleville. i
>dunno, and no one else does either.
>
>confused?
>
>
>--barry "stay tuned"
>
>*this used to read "pets", but we lost both thunder-the-wonder-dog and
>secret, ruler of the universe this past summer. maddie thinks they've
>gone to louisiana.
>
>
>
>
>


 
Date: 31 Dec 2006 04:59:43
From: daveb
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
STL would be closest, correct?


dave



 
Date: 29 Dec 2006 20:15:28
From: Felix
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Ed Needham anticipates:
> I want to see the new digs.

Likewise, and looking forward to meeting you. Barry, crash space
solution depends on venue. Please divulge asap.


Felix



  
Date: 30 Dec 2006 00:51:11
From: Ed Needham
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
It's just not going to be the same party unless there's at least one dog or
cat sleeping on my face while I'm sacked out in my sleeping bag on the
floor.
Can we import some critters for the party? I have three Goldens I can
bring. They know the drill.
--
*********************
Ed Needham®
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com
(include [FRIEND] in subject line to get through my SPAM filters)
*********************

"Felix" <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote in message
news:1167452128.350238.310420@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...
> Ed Needham anticipates:
>> I want to see the new digs.
>
> Likewise, and looking forward to meeting you. Barry, crash space
> solution depends on venue. Please divulge asap.
>
>
> Felix
>




   
Date: 30 Dec 2006 06:16:35
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:51:11 -0500, "Ed Needham"
<ed@NOSPAMhomeroaster.com > wrote:

>It's just not going to be the same party unless there's at least one dog or
>cat sleeping on my face while I'm sacked out in my sleeping bag on the
>floor.
>Can we import some critters for the party? I have three Goldens I can
>bring. They know the drill.

skimbles is still around to pester you. she's queen of everything
now, and has become quite vocal about it.

or we could just tell maddie to go sit on your forehead in the
morning... with her squishy overnight diaper on.

--barry "'da, i don't have "squishy bottom"!'"



    
Date: 30 Dec 2006 02:02:16
From: Ed Needham
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Home sweet home.

"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote in message
news:1b0cp2lpjfaii1tfadr4cu30ntolm9osku@4ax.com...
<SNIP >
> or we could just tell maddie to go sit on your forehead in the
> morning... with her squishy overnight diaper on.
>
> --barry "'da, i don't have "squishy bottom"!'"
>




 
Date: 29 Dec 2006 12:19:28
From: Ed Needham
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
So sad to hear that both Thunder and Secret passed.
I'll make it this year. I want to see the new digs.
--
*********************
Ed Needham®
"to absurdity and beyond!"
http://www.homeroaster.com
(include [FRIEND] in subject line to get through my SPAM filters)
*********************

"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote in message
news:7ao6p2lcls5tglaka5utumt85uql58h4sd@4ax.com...
<SNIP >
> *this used to read "pets", but we lost both thunder-the-wonder-dog and
> secret, ruler of the universe this past summer. maddie thinks they've
> gone to louisiana.
>
>
>
>
>
>





 
Date: 29 Dec 2006 08:43:05
From: Sheldon T. Hall - DO NOT MAIL
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:24:49 GMT, Barry Jarrett
<barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote:

> ... we lost both thunder-the-wonder-dog and
>secret, ruler of the universe this past summer.

I'm sorry to hear that. Thunder was a grand dog, a wonder indeed.
His geographic knowledge was amazing, and his dainty ice-cream eating
technique one I wish I could teach our Sheepdog.

-Shel



 
Date: 29 Dec 2006 20:34:51
From: RobvL
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)

"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote in message
news:7ao6p2lcls5tglaka5utumt85uql58h4sd@4ax.com...
>
> the Nth annual riley's-slash-june&barry's holiday bash is currently
> scheduled for 27-jan-07. the usual suspects are invited, of course,
> and newcomers always welcome, provided they don't traumatize maddie,
> the cat*, or get us arrested. ;) crash space will be at a premium,
> so plan accordingly. for those of you thinking, "oh, it's too far
> away," well.... tough. maybe simpson will show up this year (hah
> hah hah... i make myself laugh sometimes!).

Damn!! got something else planned the weekend of the 27th. ;-)


>
>
> we are currently debating upon the party location. all previous
> versions have been at our tiny house, but this year we have 2400sqft
> of new-store-goodness to consider.
>
> so, there will definitely be a party. we just don't know where, yet.
>
> if it's at the house, the usual disclaimers apply regarding crash
> space and pancakes on sunday. if it's at the store, then we'll do
> something about crash space and maybe there'll be pancakes at the
> store on sunday. or not. or maybe at the super 8 in belleville. i
> dunno, and no one else does either.
>
> confused?
>
>
> --barry "stay tuned"
>
> *this used to read "pets", but we lost both thunder-the-wonder-dog and
> secret, ruler of the universe this past summer. maddie thinks they've
> gone to louisiana.

Sorry to hear of your loss. We nearly lost our 11 year old Lab 2 months ago.
He ate a sock (the neighbours sock) not his first ingested sock by a long
shot.
Sock got stuck in his stomach, very sick dog had surgery 4 days later. While
they were in there they discovered a ruptured tumour on his spleen, so added
a splenectomy to the surgery.
Sock saved his life. Don't even ask me what it cost. The 4 cats are have
been told that the pet medical budget is spent for the next few years.

Rob vL
NZ




  
Date: 28 Jan 2007 21:44:28
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Due to some misadventures and scheduling conflicts, this was my first
year at the party.

The new store is quite grand -- high ceilings, a lot of space behind
the counters complete with prep and cooking areas to make a large
variety of goodies: fudge, cookies, panini, pancakes, or whatever else
the clientele's hearts desire. The four group LM, milk fridge, three
grinders, and sink make it easy even for a klutz like me to get a few
shots off before everyone falls asleep. About 25 to 33 percent of the
space is for seating, and it should be plenty, at least till the wifi
kicks in and the word gets out. Finally, Barry has his own public
roasting area, right at the entrance, complete with a desk, and a bar
where peoplke can sample the latest thing coming out of the roaster.
He also has his private workshop back at the delivery dock, teeming
with LM bits and pieces.

Lebanon Road, where the shop is located, is the nearest thing to a
traffic jam south of Chicago, east of LA and west of New York, as good
a location as a coffee shop could hope for -- and no mall apparatchiks
telling Barry what he can and can't sell.

The party was not quite what I expected. I came in my latest
incarnation, "the underextraction crank," and my talk about espresso
extraction kept being rudely interrupted by loads of people,
completely unmoved by coffee matters, discussing kids, schools, jobs,
food, wine, god, man, and the state, and all the other usual things
one discusses at parties. Maddie showed far better social skills than
me, by knowing everyones' names and skilfully guiding the
converstaions back to her topic of interest, the pirate ship.

I had a terrific time, and I think everyone else did too. My thanks to
June and Barry.


   
Date: 29 Jan 2007 23:55:27
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 21:44:28 -0600, jim schulman
<jim_schulman@ameritech.net > wrote:

>one discusses at parties. Maddie showed far better social skills than
>me, by knowing everyones' names and skilfully guiding the
>converstaions back to her topic of interest, the pirate ship.
>

did you get coerced into hopscotch in the workshop?



    
Date: 29 Jan 2007 22:26:26
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 23:55:27 GMT, Barry Jarrett
<barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote:

>
>did you get coerced into hopscotch in the workshop?

I did hear you trying to explain that the colored kers on the floor
by the dock door **were not** a hopscotch court. I guess that didn't
work out as planned.


   
Date: 29 Jan 2007 20:36:19
From: Ken Wilson
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)

"jim
> The party was not quite what I expected. I came in my latest
> incarnation, "the underextraction crank," and my talk about espresso
> extraction kept being rudely interrupted by loads of people,
> completely unmoved by coffee matters, discussing kids, schools, jobs,
> food, wine, god, man, and the state, and all the other usual things
> one discusses at parties.


Maddie showed far better social skills than
> me, by knowing everyones' names and skilfully guiding the
> converstaions back to her topic of interest, the pirate ship.

Thank you everyone for the descriptions - and this particularly appealed to
me.

Ken




   
Date: 28 Jan 2007 22:12:21
From: Ken Fox
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
Sounds like a grand time!

I am going to have to make it out there one of these years before I croak ..
. . . .

ken
p.s. congrats to Barry and June on the new shop!
>
> I had a terrific time, and I think everyone else did too. My thanks to
> June and Barry.




  
Date: 23 Jan 2007 16:56:57
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:34:51 +1300, "RobvL" <wontwork@dontbother.net >
wrote:

>
>"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com> wrote in message
>news:7ao6p2lcls5tglaka5utumt85uql58h4sd@4ax.com...
>>
>> the Nth annual riley's-slash-june&barry's holiday bash is currently
>> scheduled for 27-jan-07.

I've rented a car and room at the Super 8 and will head down from
Chicago setting out around 11 am and return Sunday afternoon. Anyone
(or 3) inclined to come, can show up at my place in Hyde Park (email
me). Travel contributions negotiable.

Jim


   
Date: 23 Jan 2007 19:12:52
From: North Sullivan
Subject: Re: The Christmas Party, ver.2007 (tm)
On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 16:56:57 -0600, jim schulman
<jim_schulman@ameritech.net > wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:34:51 +1300, "RobvL" <wontwork@dontbother.net>
>wrote:
>
>>
>>"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com> wrote in message
>>news:7ao6p2lcls5tglaka5utumt85uql58h4sd@4ax.com...
>>>
>>> the Nth annual riley's-slash-june&barry's holiday bash is currently
>>> scheduled for 27-jan-07.
>
>I've rented a car and room at the Super 8 and will head down from
>Chicago setting out around 11 am and return Sunday afternoon. Anyone
>(or 3) inclined to come, can show up at my place in Hyde Park (email
>me). Travel contributions negotiable.
>
>Jim

Had hoped to make the party this year, but wife's business travel
plans trumped my fun travel plans. I get to stay home with the kids.
Very jealous of all the folks who get to go. Have fun.


North Sullivan