coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 14 Jan 2007 22:57:17
From: JeeWee
Subject: Timer for grinder usefull?
Hello,

Im using a Macap Haus grinder with doser. I usual grind for singles. As
many people here I empty the doser for each shot. The only way I can know I
put the excact amount of coffee in the pf is visual and how deep the tamer
sinks into the pf.

I am thinking of building a timer for my grinder. People who know
electronics advised me and told me most electronic components are not
precise enough. I now am thinking of getting me an used timer from a
photographer. The thing they use in a dark room.

Is this timer usefull? Are people using the timer that are present on some
grinders?

Thanks in advance,


JW




 
Date: 15 Jan 2007 03:02:10
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Timer for grinder usefull?

JeeWee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im using a Macap Haus grinder with doser. I usual grind for singles. As
> many people here I empty the doser for each shot. The only way I can know I
> put the excact amount of coffee in the pf is visual and how deep the tamer
> sinks into the pf.
>
> I am thinking of building a timer for my grinder. People who know
> electronics advised me and told me most electronic components are not
> precise enough.

yeah, mechanical is better!! not.

I now am thinking of getting me an used timer from a
> photographer. The thing they use in a dark room.
>
> Is this timer usefull? Are people using the timer that are present on some
> grinders?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
>
> JW



 
Date: 14 Jan 2007 21:36:44
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Timer for grinder usefull?
On 14 Jan 2007 22:57:17 GMT, JeeWee <vlaflipremovethis@freemail.nl >
wrote:

>People who know
>electronics advised me and told me most electronic components are not
>precise enough.

You need better [educated] friends.

You can build a timer to time any silly number you like.
13.285691374801 microseconds, seconds, hours, years, centuries.

Ian
No picoseconds to spare.


  
Date: 15 Jan 2007 12:06:43
From: JeeWee
Subject: Re: Timer for grinder usefull?
Electonic components can be very very precise. What I was talking about are
parts that are available for switching lights etc. Could anyone help me
with a schedule for a timer with a parts list? We have 230V here.

Thanks.


"I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in
news:qg4mq2912rlacctl7ksa0529dbesc7urr4@4ax.com:

> On 14 Jan 2007 22:57:17 GMT, JeeWee <vlaflipremovethis@freemail.nl>
> wrote:
>
>>People who know
>>electronics advised me and told me most electronic components are not
>>precise enough.
>
> You need better [educated] friends.
>
> You can build a timer to time any silly number you like.
> 13.285691374801 microseconds, seconds, hours, years, centuries.
>
> Ian
> No picoseconds to spare.
>



   
Date: 15 Jan 2007 11:32:03
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Timer for grinder usefull?

"JeeWee" <vlaflipremovethis@freemail.nl > wrote in message
news:Xns98B985705350DJeeWee@193.202.122.103...
> Electonic components can be very very precise. What I was talking about
are
> parts that are available for switching lights etc. Could anyone help me
> with a schedule for a timer with a parts list? We have 230V here.
>
> Thanks.
>

The Patterson 2000D at $100 should fill the bill. Comes in 120 and 240
versions
http://www.patersonphotographic.com/accessories/darkroom%20accs%20index.htm



>
> "I->Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in
> news:qg4mq2912rlacctl7ksa0529dbesc7urr4@4ax.com:
>
> > On 14 Jan 2007 22:57:17 GMT, JeeWee <vlaflipremovethis@freemail.nl>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>People who know
> >>electronics advised me and told me most electronic components are not
> >>precise enough.
> >
> > You need better [educated] friends.
> >
> > You can build a timer to time any silly number you like.
> > 13.285691374801 microseconds, seconds, hours, years, centuries.
> >
> > Ian
> > No picoseconds to spare.
> >
>




 
Date: 15 Jan 2007 00:52:53
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Timer for grinder usefull?
On 14 Jan 2007 22:57:17 GMT, JeeWee <vlaflipremovethis@freemail.nl >
wrote:

>Is this timer usefull? Are people using the timer that are present on some
>grinders?
>
>Thanks in advance,

I use a digital Waring commercial bar timer. Very useful for
consistent dosing without waste. Unfortunately, Waring stopped making
these (probably because so many commercial blenders have built-in
digital timers now). Unlike the Waring timers, photo timers are large,
expensive and not sealed against grounds, liquids and other coffee
detritus. Nevertheless, I still think they would be useful.

shall