coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 17 Mar 2007 05:31:58
From:
Subject: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
Hey everyone,

We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can work.
Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They have 60
watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says 1100watts. I don't
know if this is correct, but I hope it is not. The 230 watt
transformer is a brick, I can only imaging a 1100watt!

Thanks





 
Date: 19 Mar 2007 04:06:06
From:
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I will not be able to replace the parts
since I do not have any tools. Also, the one DaveB linked is only
$80US so that isn't to bad. I guess I could buy one and use it for
Silvia, Rocky, Blender, George Foremann, etc. Just one at a time!

Thanks,
-Eric

On 17, 11:30 pm, "Randy G." <f...@cncnet.com > wrote:
> On 17, 9:20 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>
>
> > The conversion kit looks like it costs about four times as much as the
> > transformer. And I can't see where it's easier to tear the machine down
> > than to plug it into a transformer.
>
> It should not be that much. The Kit would run about $260 USD. The old
> boiler, pump, and solenoid could go on eBay for what? $100? For the
> convenience of not having the transformer cluttering the kitchen and
> the more efficient 220v boiler it might be worth it, particularly if
> the machine will spend the remainder of its life on 220v. The
> transformer would be simplier but there are other considerations other
> than $$ and so I offered it as a possibility.




 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 21:30:59
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
On 17, 9:20 am, "J. Clarke" <jclarke.use...@cox.net > wrote:

>
> The conversion kit looks like it costs about four times as much as the
> transformer. And I can't see where it's easier to tear the machine down
> than to plug it into a transformer.
>
It should not be that much. The Kit would run about $260 USD. The old
boiler, pump, and solenoid could go on eBay for what? $100? For the
convenience of not having the transformer cluttering the kitchen and
the more efficient 220v boiler it might be worth it, particularly if
the machine will spend the remainder of its life on 220v. The
transformer would be simplier but there are other considerations other
than $$ and so I offered it as a possibility.



 
Date: davebobblane@gmai
From: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
Subject: .com>
.com

 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 09:31:29
From: daveb
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
On 17, 8:31 am, enordqu...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
> transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can work.
> Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They have 60
> watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says 1100watts. I don't
> know if this is correct, but I hope it is not.
it is actually about 900 w

but oversize the unit -- to 1500w
>
> Thanks

just get this!

http://www.dvdoverseas.com/store/index.html?loadfile=catalog1_0.html

Dave



 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 09:26:55
From: daveb
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
On 17, 11:30 am, Randy G. <f...@DESPAMMOcncnet.com > wrote:
> enordqu...@gmail.com wrote:
> >Hey everyone,
>
> >We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
> >transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can work.
> >Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They have 60
> >watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says 1100watts. I don't
> >know if this is correct, but I hope it is not. The 230 watt
> >transformer is a brick, I can only imaging a 1100watt!
>
> It would probably be cheaper (and in the long run, easier and more
> effective) to just convert Silvia. You will need to change the pump,
> the 3-way solenoid, and the boiler top half for the new heating
> element. The kit is shown here as the last item on the page:http://www.espressotec.com/umpartsRancilio.asp
> If you are going to go through that, also update to the new adjustable
> pressure relief valve.
>
> Randy "or not" G.http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

NOT.

NOT when you are advocating using over $300.00 worht of parts less
shipping, rg!
A new 1500 watt 120 /240 transformer is about $80.00

Randy, I do not know what is going on:

to prevent freezing FILL the silvia boiler with water. NOT

to repair a leaking boiler gasket buy $200 in parts -- when the issue
is stripped threads in the brewhead!

and now this!

I am SHOCKED!

DAVE
www.hitechespresso.com



 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 08:30:13
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
enordquist@gmail.com wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>
>We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
>transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can work.
>Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They have 60
>watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says 1100watts. I don't
>know if this is correct, but I hope it is not. The 230 watt
>transformer is a brick, I can only imaging a 1100watt!
>

It would probably be cheaper (and in the long run, easier and more
effective) to just convert Silvia. You will need to change the pump,
the 3-way solenoid, and the boiler top half for the new heating
element. The kit is shown here as the last item on the page:
http://www.espressotec.com/umpartsRancilio.asp
If you are going to go through that, also update to the new adjustable
pressure relief valve.

Randy "or not" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com





  
Date: 17 Mar 2007 12:20:13
From: J. Clarke
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
Randy G. wrote:
> enordquist@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
>> transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can
>> work. Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They
>> have 60 watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says
>> 1100watts. I don't know if this is correct, but I hope it is not.
>> The 230 watt transformer is a brick, I can only imaging a 1100watt!
>>
>
> It would probably be cheaper (and in the long run, easier and more
> effective) to just convert Silvia. You will need to change the pump,
> the 3-way solenoid, and the boiler top half for the new heating
> element. The kit is shown here as the last item on the page:
> http://www.espressotec.com/umpartsRancilio.asp
> If you are going to go through that, also update to the new adjustable
> pressure relief valve.

The conversion kit looks like it costs about four times as much as the
transformer. And I can't see where it's easier to tear the machine down
than to plug it into a transformer.

> Randy "or not" G.
> http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

--
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)




 
Date: 17 Mar 2007 09:19:28
From: J. Clarke
Subject: Re: What do I need to run my Rancilio Silvia in Singapore?
enordquist@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> We recently relocated from the US to Singapore. I need to get a
> transformer to convert the 230 volts down to 120 so I Silvia can work.
> Question is, what size transformer do I need in watts. They have 60
> watt and 230 watt. I looked online and Silvia says 1100watts. I don't
> know if this is correct, but I hope it is not. The 230 watt
> transformer is a brick, I can only imaging a 1100watt!

It is correct. For any 110v heating appliance you should have a
transformer that can provide 1500 watts at least. The transformer
should weigh around 30 pounds.

> Thanks

--
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)