coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 09 Apr 2007 11:18:57
From: megatec45
Subject: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
favorite





 
Date: 11 Apr 2007 20:51:47
From: Felix
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
EskWI... asks:
> So how is Red Barn?

It depends, and it's been about three years since I lived in that
area. As you might imagine, their Faneuil Hall location isn't very
similar to the one on Rte 9 East.

> Do they do their own roasting?

Yes, though the house style was too light for me way back when. There
was one batch of Mexican beans that I liked a lot, but it was an
outlier. Judging from their Tarrazu description, their style may have
changed. You should try a few and let us know what you think:
http://www.redbarncoffee.com/

I remember remarkably nice people selling good products that were
fairly priced ... don't you spend enough at Whole Foods already :-)


Felix



 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 21:16:27
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On Apr 10, 1:54 pm, Marshall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:43:40 +0000 (UTC), EskWI...@spamblock.panix.com
> wrote:
>
> >In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrf...@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >> >Around here, the in-store roasters roast Allegro.
>
> >> I'm not sure what that really means. They own the name "Allegro." Does
> >> their Allegro subsidiary in Boulder, CO select and buy the beans and
> >> then redistribute them to local stores green? Or do they source random
> >> greens locally, roast them in-store and put them in bags that say
> >> "Allegro?"
>
> >I don't really know the answer. I can ask the guy who does the roasting.
> >I suspect and assume the former. I imagine that if each store were to
> >source greens, then the value of the Allegro mark could be tarnished.
>
> Of course, the potential consistency and quality control issues are
> enormous when a large company pushes some of their roasting down to
> shop roasters in their local stores. I wonder how they manage it.
>
> Marshall

I go to the Whole Foods in Omaha, NE. I have been told that they
receive their greens from a central source (Allegro) and roast all of
them in store according to a protocol they have been given (this could
be different at other Whole Foods I suppose). I find a HUGE
consistency problem with Whole Foods. Generally, I don't like buying
beans when I don't really know what I am bringing home. And with
Whole Foods, all you know is when they were roasted and what country
the beans come from. I have had some batches that I thought were
quite good, then buy the same exact thing a month later only to find
it very mediocre. In the end, the price is right I suppose. Sadly,
in a place like Omaha there just isn't much in terms of locally
roasted coffee. But if you live anywhere with other local roasters, I
would check those out before relying on Whole Foods.



 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 19:36:07
From: Felix
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
EskWI... declares:
> And they are good quality. Not the very best,
> but right up there, superior to anybody else
> in the area (including Armeno, but not [...]

Red Barn? If Armeno is in the area, so is Southborough.


Felix



  
Date: 11 Apr 2007 11:39:51
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, Felix <felixyen@hotmail.com > wrote:
> EskWI... declares:
> > And they are good quality. Not the very best,
> > but right up there, superior to anybody else
> > in the area (including Armeno, but not [...]

> Red Barn? If Armeno is in the area, so is Southborough.

I've never tried it, but I once took delivery of some concert tickets in
their parking lot (System of a Down at the DCU Center).

Armeno is too far to drive when I run out of coffee, but WF is about a
mile away. I used to get mail order from Armeno, and used to get coffee
for several other folks in the office in my shipments.

So how is Red Barn? Do they do their own roasting?

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



   
Date: 11 Apr 2007 10:21:05
From: Steve Ackman
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In <evihe6$e26$4@reader2.panix.com >, on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:39:51 +0000
(UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

> So how is Red Barn? Do they do their own roasting?

At Boston SCAA, Bob from Red Barn was the one who
roasted one/some of the samples given out by RoyalNY.
The sample of Harrar was excellent, both the bean, and
the way it was roasted.

Based on that limited and dated experience, I'd
certainly give them a try.


    
Date: 11 Apr 2007 14:49:19
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, Steve Ackman <steve@snip-this.twoloonscoffee.com > wrote:
> In <evihe6$e26$4@reader2.panix.com>, on Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:39:51 +0000
> (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com wrote:

> > So how is Red Barn? Do they do their own roasting?

> At Boston SCAA, Bob from Red Barn was the one who
> roasted one/some of the samples given out by RoyalNY.
> The sample of Harrar was excellent, both the bean, and
> the way it was roasted.

> Based on that limited and dated experience, I'd
> certainly give them a try.

Cool. Next time I head out west I'll stop by.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



 
Date: 10 Apr 2007 04:22:06
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On 9 Apr 2007 11:18:57 -0700, "megatec45" <megatec45@gmail.com > wrote:

>Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
>favorite

Except for their captive roaster, Allegro, Whole Foods' offerings vary
by region. Where do you live?

In L.A., Whole Foods will be offering Intelligentsia again when their
local roastery opens (very soon).

Marshall


  
Date: 10 Apr 2007 13:25:46
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2007 11:18:57 -0700, "megatec45" <megatec45@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
> >favorite

> Except for their captive roaster, Allegro, Whole Foods' offerings vary
> by region. Where do you live?

Around here, the in-store roasters roast Allegro. The non-in-store-roated
coffee may be Allegro, but it is not nearly as good. I am told it comes
in big bags from a central facility.


> In L.A., Whole Foods will be offering Intelligentsia again when their
> local roastery opens (very soon).

The Boston area stores sell Terroir in bags, but it is very expensive, and
not necessarily fresh.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



   
Date: 10 Apr 2007 14:16:37
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:25:46 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
wrote:

>In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>> On 9 Apr 2007 11:18:57 -0700, "megatec45" <megatec45@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> >Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
>> >favorite
>
>> Except for their captive roaster, Allegro, Whole Foods' offerings vary
>> by region. Where do you live?
>
>Around here, the in-store roasters roast Allegro.

I'm not sure what that really means. They own the name "Allegro." Does
their Allegro subsidiary in Boulder, CO select and buy the beans and
then redistribute them to local stores green? Or do they source random
greens locally, roast them in-store and put them in bags that say
"Allegro?"

>The non-in-store-roated
>coffee may be Allegro, but it is not nearly as good. I am told it comes
>in big bags from a central facility.

I assume those would come from Colorado.

Marshall


    
Date: 10 Apr 2007 15:43:40
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

> >Around here, the in-store roasters roast Allegro.

> I'm not sure what that really means. They own the name "Allegro." Does
> their Allegro subsidiary in Boulder, CO select and buy the beans and
> then redistribute them to local stores green? Or do they source random
> greens locally, roast them in-store and put them in bags that say
> "Allegro?"

I don't really know the answer. I can ask the guy who does the roasting.
I suspect and assume the former. I imagine that if each store were to
source greens, then the value of the Allegro mark could be tarnished. My
guess is that they come from a central source.

And they are good quality. Not the very best, but right up there,
superior to anybody else in the area (including Armeno, but not including
Terroir).

> >The non-in-store-roated
> >coffee may be Allegro, but it is not nearly as good. I am told it comes
> >in big bags from a central facility.

> I assume those would come from Colorado.

Likely you are correct. I'll ask my friendly roaster guy. He likes to
talk, is very interested in home roasting, and he even knows about Sweet
Maria's.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



     
Date: 10 Apr 2007 18:54:28
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:43:40 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
wrote:

>In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> >Around here, the in-store roasters roast Allegro.
>
>> I'm not sure what that really means. They own the name "Allegro." Does
>> their Allegro subsidiary in Boulder, CO select and buy the beans and
>> then redistribute them to local stores green? Or do they source random
>> greens locally, roast them in-store and put them in bags that say
>> "Allegro?"
>
>I don't really know the answer. I can ask the guy who does the roasting.
>I suspect and assume the former. I imagine that if each store were to
>source greens, then the value of the Allegro mark could be tarnished.

Of course, the potential consistency and quality control issues are
enormous when a large company pushes some of their roasting down to
shop roasters in their local stores. I wonder how they manage it.

Marshall


      
Date: 11 Apr 2007 11:35:16
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, Marshall <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

> Of course, the potential consistency and quality control issues are
> enormous when a large company pushes some of their roasting down to
> shop roasters in their local stores. I wonder how they manage it.

One method is by using all-but-completely automatic roasters. They use
air roasters and dial in the parameters (I imagine, according to some
spec). The roasting stops when the bean temp sensor says it should.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



  
Date: 09 Apr 2007 23:17:29
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 04:22:06 GMT, Marshall
<mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>On 9 Apr 2007 11:18:57 -0700, "megatec45" <megatec45@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
>>favorite
>
>Except for their captive roaster, Allegro, Whole Foods' offerings vary
>by region. Where do you live?
>
>In L.A., Whole Foods will be offering Intelligentsia again when their
>local roastery opens (very soon).
>
>Marshall

hmmmm....


 
Date: 09 Apr 2007 19:35:03
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, megatec45 <megatec45@gmail.com > wrote:
> Anyone have any opions on Whole Foods fresh roasted beans. What's your
> favorite


My opinion: The best coffee I can get locally, other than the coffee I
roast at home.

My favorite: Whatever is both freshest and on sale, excluding the dark
roasts and the silly-expensive stuff.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel



  
Date: 09 Apr 2007 13:19:00
From: I->Ian
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:35:03 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
wrote:

>The best coffee I can get locally

Where's 'locally' ???


   
Date: 10 Apr 2007 01:49:36
From:
Subject: Re: Whole Foods fresh Roasted Beans
In alt.coffee, "I- >Ian" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:35:03 +0000 (UTC), EskWIRED@spamblock.panix.com
> wrote:

> >The best coffee I can get locally

> Where's 'locally' ???

Newton, MA. Just outside Boston. The coffee is not as good as Terroir,
but the stores are much more local.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
-- Bertrand Russel