coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 04 Nov 2006 12:01:50
From:
Subject: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!





 
Date: 05 Nov 2006 18:30:31
From: daveb
Subject: Are Espresso Machine(s) Expensive???
" . . . . . Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for
some
coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous! "



That's called "overhead" and "profit"



 
Date: 05 Nov 2006 04:00:12
From: daveb
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
and WHO cares, really?

robert Harmon wrote:

Galveston to Tampa?
>
>



 
Date: 05 Nov 2006 06:59:31
From: Espressopithecus (Java Man)
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
In article <1162670510.524202.287490@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com >,
alanryder@aol.com says...
> I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive?
>
>
Because it is a small ket without enough volume and profit potential
to justify mass manufacturing as a paying proposition.

Rick


 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 16:49:44
From: Flasherly
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
St. John Smythe wrote:
> wes wrote:
> > Part of it is the cost of the parts. A pump is $50 or so (less, of
> > course to the manufacturer) boiler, group head isn't cheap, etc., etc.
> > I'm sure if hundreds of thousands were sold every year the cost would
> > come down, but it's more moving parts than say a microwave, less
> > electronics. . .
>
> You raise a good point. Wonder when we'll start seeing high-quality
> espresso machines from China, and how much they'll be.

The last batch of potmetal tools I ordered were manufactured and served
up from Greenspan's late New World India, whereas China (FXI) is seen
no less increasingly approaching hot (EWW - Latin/South America) since
Bernanke's July druthers evinced recent overseas superfluities. Quality
to be elated to be sure will likely be a ways in coming and will
continue to command a premium;- from a backdrop of facsimiles advancing
sufficient to tolerable, are an espresso crush of refurbished
pacific-rim Delonghis or Gaggias on ebay for as low as $60. When I
turned this morning to the best value for an ergonmetric
appliance-grade countertop roaster, I found the price to be near $100,
accessorized for fetching. An interesting example and exemplary niche
in keting alliances Freshroast Plus model 8 roaster gleans,
positioned between Sweet ia's and Fresh Beans Inc., considering
their price is at advantage to showcase anything available on ebay for
a lesser consequence of value. A fine supplement for countertops,
nonetheless, should a popcorn aspect of an engineering bases remain
less distinct than a premium assessed that value.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=FXI&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=eww,mindx (set
Indian indices are forthcoming, whereas Foster/ Matthews is potentially
fluid or managed).



  
Date: 06 Nov 2006 20:08:02
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
"Flasherly" <gjerrell@ij.net > wrote in message
news:1162687784.550074.118480@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> St. John Smythe wrote:
>> wes wrote:
>> > Part of it is the cost of the parts. A pump is $50 or so (less, of
>> > course to the manufacturer) boiler, group head isn't cheap, etc., etc.
>> > I'm sure if hundreds of thousands were sold every year the cost would
>> > come down, but it's more moving parts than say a microwave, less
>> > electronics. . .
>>
>> You raise a good point. Wonder when we'll start seeing high-quality
>> espresso machines from China, and how much they'll be.
>
> The last batch of potmetal tools I ordered were manufactured and served
> up from Greenspan's late New World India, whereas China (FXI) is seen
> no less increasingly approaching hot (EWW - Latin/South America) since
> Bernanke's July druthers evinced recent overseas superfluities. Quality
> to be elated to be sure will likely be a ways in coming and will
> continue to command a premium;- from a backdrop of facsimiles advancing
> sufficient to tolerable, are an espresso crush of refurbished
> pacific-rim Delonghis or Gaggias on ebay for as low as $60. When I
> turned this morning to the best value for an ergonmetric
> appliance-grade countertop roaster, I found the price to be near $100,
> accessorized for fetching. An interesting example and exemplary niche
> in keting alliances Freshroast Plus model 8 roaster gleans,
> positioned between Sweet ia's and Fresh Beans Inc., considering
> their price is at advantage to showcase anything available on ebay for
> a lesser consequence of value. A fine supplement for countertops,
> nonetheless, should a popcorn aspect of an engineering bases remain
> less distinct than a premium assessed that value.
>
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=FXI&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=eww,mindx (set
> Indian indices are forthcoming, whereas Foster/ Matthews is potentially
> fluid or managed).
>

I'm sorry, you lost me there.
I tried, I really did.
Could you perhaps put things more simply?

Eschew obfuscation...




 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 15:47:47
From: JulesG
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
Good reasons brought here. Here are 2 more:

An espresso machine weights at least 10 times more than a toaster or a
coffee pot. By weight alone, 10x50$ makes 500$.

An espresso machine must deal with boiling water, steam and pressure
for long hours without leaking or blowing up. Those components must
withstand high temps and must have very tight tolerances. That costs
money.

As for the very expensive ones, they are priced so I cannot afford one
! :-)



 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 22:31:47
From: robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
alanryder@aol.com wrote in news:1162670510.524202.287490
@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

> I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
>
>

It's only outrageous if you think about it. For those addicted beyond logic
to the sweet bean it's perfectly reasonable to spend that much on our toys.
After all it's only money - money that's destined to be spent on something.

And compared to most of my toys, $4000 to $6000 for an occassional shot of
coffee doesn't seem all that expensive. Do you have ANY idea how much it
costs to push a 45 ft motorhome down the freeway nowadays? Or what it'd
cost me to run my Hatteras from Galveston to Tampa?

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.


  
Date: 06 Nov 2006 20:15:39
From: Natalie Drest
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???

"robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote ...
> to run my Hatteras...


What's a Hatteras? Should we be impressed?




   
Date: 06 Nov 2006 14:11:12
From: robert Harmon
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
"Natalie Drest" <fugeddaboudit@notarealemailaddress.net > wrote in
news:454efcbf$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au:

>
> "robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com> wrote ...
>> to run my Hatteras...
>
>
> What's a Hatteras? Should we be impressed?
>
>
>

Howdy Natalie!
Yeah, you're supposed to be impressed with how st I was to buy a boat
that gets 3-4 GPH just before fuel hit $3.85 dockside. ;)

I was actually taking a rather weak poke at the folks who've bought
outrageous espresso machines for home use, more for the sake of appearances
than for any supposed increase in product quality. And yes, I do count
myself in this group. We very seldom buy what we need. That's a fact the
manufacturers & admen count on.

Robert (lame duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.


 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 16:20:58
From: Moka Java
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
alanryder@aol.com wrote:

> I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive?

"Cause they're bigger 'm more complicated than toasters, are made in
Europe, not China 'n you don't find 'em in everybody's kitchen.

Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
>

Have you tried renting a store in NY lately? Do you think the PBTC is
there as a volunteer for the sheer love of community service? Do you
know how much it costs to pay off a Health Dept. inspector? -- I mean
get proper permits and licenses?

R "wondering why I'm responding to a troll" TF


  
Date: 04 Nov 2006 16:32:59
From: Alice Faber
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
In article <4r4em8Fpc4srU1@individual.net >,
Moka Java <rtwatches@fishyahoo.com > wrote:

> alanryder@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> > of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> > expensive?
>
> "Cause they're bigger 'm more complicated than toasters, are made in
> Europe, not China 'n you don't find 'em in everybody's kitchen.
>
> Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> > coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
> >
>
> Have you tried renting a store in NY lately? Do you think the PBTC is
> there as a volunteer for the sheer love of community service? Do you
> know how much it costs to pay off a Health Dept. inspector? -- I mean
> get proper permits and licenses?
>
> R "wondering why I'm responding to a troll" TF

Cause it's Saturday afternoon, and you're avoiding the chores you
*should* be doing. (Well, that's *my* excuse, anyway.)

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
--artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball


 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 15:13:21
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
On 4 Nov 2006 12:01:50 -0800, alanryder@aol.com wrote:

>I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
>of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
>expensive?

They have been small volume items, and typically sell at around 4 to 6
times the volume factory price to consumers. The cheap machines aren't
very good; the expensive require skill; for anything remotely tasty,
they all require grinders which adds another $100 at least.

Superautomaic machines seem to be penetrating the ket far faster,
since they are idiot proof, and produce a nice variety of ginally
acceptable drinks. Look for these to start selling from $99 and up
when China/Walt decide there's a volume ket.


 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 12:34:51
From: wes
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???

Rusty wrote:
> <alanryder@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:1162670510.524202.287490@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
> >I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> > of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> > expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> > coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
> >
>
>
> If that's all that makes up a cup of coffee I agree.
>
> But it takes wages, rent, electricity, insurance, depreciation of equipment,
> replacement of breakages etc and of course a small profit if you are lucky!
>
> Rusty

Part of it is the cost of the parts. A pump is $50 or so (less, of
course to the manufacturer) boiler, group head isn't cheap, etc., etc.
I'm sure if hundreds of thousands were sold every year the cost would
come down, but it's more moving parts than say a microwave, less
electronics. . .

My 2 cents,

Wes



  
Date: 04 Nov 2006 15:59:22
From: St. John Smythe
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
wes wrote:
> Part of it is the cost of the parts. A pump is $50 or so (less, of
> course to the manufacturer) boiler, group head isn't cheap, etc., etc.
> I'm sure if hundreds of thousands were sold every year the cost would
> come down, but it's more moving parts than say a microwave, less
> electronics. . .

You raise a good point. Wonder when we'll start seeing high-quality
espresso machines from China, and how much they'll be.

--
St. John
You know it's going to be a long day when you get up, shave and shower,
start to get dressed and your shoes are still warm.
-Dean Webber


 
Date: 05 Nov 2006 07:22:32
From: Rusty
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???

<alanryder@aol.com > wrote in message
news:1162670510.524202.287490@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
>I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
>


If that's all that makes up a cup of coffee I agree.

But it takes wages, rent, electricity, insurance, depreciation of equipment,
replacement of breakages etc and of course a small profit if you are lucky!

Rusty




 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 14:22:23
From: Harry Moos
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
I suppose it is because it is a limited ket. They are not like toasters
or microwaves that you find in every kitchen. Isn't everything expensive in
NY? My morning cup [not espresso] at the local donut shop was 65 cents,
with two free refills. What would that cost in NY? OTOH, the waitress
here probably pays no more than $300 per month for a fairly new three
bedroom house. Parking is free [no meters around here]. Child care may be,
too. It's a different world here. But I have to drive 56 miles to another
town for an espresso. Or make my own.

<alanryder@aol.com > wrote in message
news:1162670510.524202.287490@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...
>I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
>




 
Date: 04 Nov 2006 14:10:45
From: Coffee Lover Girl
Subject: Re: Why Are Espresso Machine So Expensive???
alanryder@aol.com wrote :

> I don't think there's another countertop appliance in the price range
> of these machines. From hundreds to $1,500+, why are these so darn
> expensive? Also, why does a cappuccino in NY cost $3.50-$4.00 for some
> coffee, water and milk. It's outrageous!
>
>

And people are made up of a few bucks worth of chemicals.

It's not what it's made of, it's how it's made and what you do with it.
:)


--
Coffee Lover

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Coffee_/
http://pleasehelpjennifer.com/