coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 06 Feb 2007 18:01:14
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: 'expert' mechanics
Someone (whom I openly acknowledge to be an expert) questioned my
'qualifications' to offer advice on the subject of grinder maintenance.
Firstly, let me say that advice is cheap to give and sometimes VERY costly
to take. Now ask yourself who'd most likely tell you the truth about how to
take care of your machine yourself, someone who's done it for years, is a
retired engineer, and an all around nice guy, or someone whose livelihood is
based on selling & repairing machines & whose pat answer for 99% of the
posts he replies to is, 'send it to me so I can put an overpriced PID on
it'?

Preventative maintenance is the hallk of a st machine owner (any kind
of machine!). Taking a grinder down to the burrs is a very simple matter for
most grinders & if the beans ground in it are oily that's the only way to
get at the caked on grounds that build up in the nooks & crannies inside the
machine. As for messing up your settings, c'mon lets get real here. There is
no 'precise' grind setting that fits all beans, so adjustments are always
being made. What's the big deal about remembering that your starting point
will be 'x' degrees counter clockwise from the rubbing point, and that
making the final adjustments will depend on what you're grinding today.

Most folks want make this hobby of ours way too complex & you know what
folks; it aint rocket science (I know cause I've seen rocket science up
close & personal for several decades). Have fun with it & drink nothing but
good coffee.
--
Robert (who defines an expert as; ex is a has-been & spurt is a drip under
pressure!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r






 
Date: 09 Feb 2007 06:25:22
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 8, 1:23 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> Ya just PID 'em, right BUB?
>

Nope. would if I could. but after lengthy research, I have found that
a 'pid' controller would not benefit any grinders.

dave
214
www.hitechespresso.com



 
Date: 09 Feb 2007 06:18:42
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 9, 9:11 am, "Omni...@gmail.com" <Omni...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 1:23 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Ya just PID 'em, right BUB?
>
> That's right, GEEZ. Of course, the shipping both directions is likely
> to cost more than the damned grinder is woth, but...

wow. where are you gettting your grinders??



 
Date: 09 Feb 2007 06:11:51
From: Omniryx@gmail.com
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 8, 1:23 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> Ya just PID 'em, right BUB?

That's right, GEEZ. Of course, the shipping both directions is likely
to cost more than the damned grinder is woth, but...



 
Date: 08 Feb 2007 16:57:52
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 8, 1:23 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> Ya just PID 'em, right BUB?
> ;)
> --
> Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmonhttp://tinyurl.com/pou2yhttp://tinyurl.com/psfobhttp://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
>
> "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1170956798.145748.168650@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
>
> > On Feb 8, 11:27 am, "Omni...@gmail.com" <Omni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Feb 7, 4:02 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> > No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
> >> > post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are
> >> > incapable of
> >> > walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air
> >> > pressure,
> >> > positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie
> >> > their
> >> > own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with
> >> > (it
> >> > aint brain surgery folks!).
>
> >> Oh, I quite agree, Robert. Anyone who cannot unscrew and rescrew a
> >> burr carrier without stripping the threads shouldn't be allowed near
> >> hot water, let alone steam.
>
> >> OTOH, if you really ARE that much of a klutz, daveb will probably
> >> undertake to clean your grinder for you for a modest fee.
>
> > nope. I don't take in grinders for cleaning, sorry.

!



 
Date: 08 Feb 2007 09:46:39
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 8, 11:27 am, "Omni...@gmail.com" <Omni...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 4:02 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
> > post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are incapable of
> > walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air pressure,
> > positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie their
> > own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with (it
> > aint brain surgery folks!).
>
> Oh, I quite agree, Robert. Anyone who cannot unscrew and rescrew a
> burr carrier without stripping the threads shouldn't be allowed near
> hot water, let alone steam.
>
> OTOH, if you really ARE that much of a klutz, daveb will probably
> undertake to clean your grinder for you for a modest fee.

nope. I don't take in grinders for cleaning, sorry.




  
Date: 08 Feb 2007 18:23:07
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
Ya just PID 'em, right BUB?
;)
--
Robert (Gig 'em!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"daveb" <davebobblane@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1170956798.145748.168650@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...
> On Feb 8, 11:27 am, "Omni...@gmail.com" <Omni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 7, 4:02 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
>> > post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are
>> > incapable of
>> > walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air
>> > pressure,
>> > positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie
>> > their
>> > own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with
>> > (it
>> > aint brain surgery folks!).
>>
>> Oh, I quite agree, Robert. Anyone who cannot unscrew and rescrew a
>> burr carrier without stripping the threads shouldn't be allowed near
>> hot water, let alone steam.
>>
>> OTOH, if you really ARE that much of a klutz, daveb will probably
>> undertake to clean your grinder for you for a modest fee.
>
> nope. I don't take in grinders for cleaning, sorry.
>
>




 
Date: 08 Feb 2007 08:27:09
From: Omniryx@gmail.com
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 7, 4:02 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
> post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are incapable of
> walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air pressure,
> positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie their
> own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with (it
> aint brain surgery folks!).

Oh, I quite agree, Robert. Anyone who cannot unscrew and rescrew a
burr carrier without stripping the threads shouldn't be allowed near
hot water, let alone steam.

OTOH, if you really ARE that much of a klutz, daveb will probably
undertake to clean your grinder for you for a modest fee.



 
Date: 07 Feb 2007 16:11:59
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
" . . .(harmon) is a retired engineer, and an all around nice
guy, . . ."

- harmon.

???

dave


On Feb 7, 4:02 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
> post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are incapable of
> walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air pressure,
> positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie their
> own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with (it
> aint brain surgery folks!).
> -
> <Omni...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1170880527.858940.91850@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...>
>
> > Now be nice, Dave. Dr. Harmon hasn't called anyone "bub" in quite a
> > while.




 
Date: 07 Feb 2007 12:35:27
From: Omniryx@gmail.com
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Feb 6, 1:44 pm, "daveb" <davebobbl...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Mr. Harmon has a history of
> making up insulting handles -- just for fun.

Now be nice, Dave. Dr. Harmon hasn't called anyone "bub" in quite a
while.



  
Date: 07 Feb 2007 21:02:03
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
No 'bubs' here, just klutz's from the tenor of responses to my original
post. I suppose I should have added a caveat that those who are incapable of
walking & chewing gum at the same time shouldn't go beyond air pressure,
positive & negative, to clean their machines. For those able to tie their
own shoe laces go ahead & clean as deeply as you feel comfortable with (it
aint brain surgery folks!).
--
Robert (scrub, scrub - keep the health inspector happy!) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

<Omniryx@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1170880527.858940.91850@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com... >
> Now be nice, Dave. Dr. Harmon hasn't called anyone "bub" in quite a
> while.
>




 
Date: 06 Feb 2007 22:29:30
From: Marshall
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:01:14 GMT, "Robert Harmon"
<r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote:


>Preventative maintenance is the hallk of a st machine owner (any kind
>of machine!). Taking a grinder down to the burrs is a very simple matter for
>most grinders & if the beans ground in it are oily that's the only way to
>get at the caked on grounds that build up in the nooks & crannies inside the
>machine.

Beg to differ. Unnecessary tinkering with machines is the hallk of
engineers with time on their hands.

There is a long history on alt.coffee of people taking their burrs
apart because they feel a compulsion to hand clean them and then
yelling for help in trying to get them back together. The usual
problem is locked threads in screw-mount carriers or misplaced springs
in Mazzers.

Coffee remains in the nooks and crannies of a grinder will do your
brew no harm, if it isn't in the pathway from the hopper to the spout.
In most cases the benefits of a thorough cleaning aren't worth the
risks of the disassembly.

shall


  
Date: 07 Feb 2007 00:12:23
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:29:30 GMT, shall
<mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net > wrote:

>In most cases the benefits of a thorough cleaning aren't worth the
>risks of the disassembly.

cross-thread the upper carrier just once and you'll wish you'd never
cleaned the grinder at all.



   
Date: 07 Feb 2007 11:39:46
From: Randy G.
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
Barry Jarrett <barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:29:30 GMT, shall
><mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >In most cases the benefits of a thorough cleaning aren't worth the
> >risks of the disassembly.
>
>cross-thread the upper carrier just once and you'll wish you'd never
>cleaned the grinder at all.
>
One of the reasons I mentioned when recommending Grindz is that a
coffee shop owner doesn't have to worry about the PsBTC taking the
grinders apart, possibly losing parts, damaging threads, or dropping
and breaking an expensive hopper. One broken hoper or damaged grinder
could have paid for a few years worth of Grind, not to mention down
time and the hassle of repair/replacement.

Randy "..and it works" G.
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com





   
Date: 07 Feb 2007 09:03:19
From: Danny
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
Barry Jarrett wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:29:30 GMT, shall
> <mrfuss@ihatespamearthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >In most cases the benefits of a thorough cleaning aren't worth the
> >risks of the disassembly.
>
> cross-thread the upper carrier just once and you'll wish you'd never
> cleaned the grinder at all.
>

And even in my commercial use, cleaning the area when replacement
burrs are due is all that is needed. I've bought quite a few 2nd hand
commercial grinders and the common area is the threaded carrier -
usually gunked up since the previous owners never adjusted the grind
in many years. Once this has been freed off and the burr carriers
cleaned the grinder will never get as bad in proper use with regular
grind adjustments that should be needed in normal use.

As shall notes, coffee that is pushed into a nook or cranny will
stay there and not end up in the cup, with the exception of the doser
or output path between uses.

--
Regards, Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/EU ordering for Malabar Gold blend)



 
Date: 06 Feb 2007 13:22:00
From: Roger Shoaf
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics

"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:Kn3yh.19306$pQ3.13961@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Robert (who defines an expert as; ex is a has-been & spurt is a drip under
> pressure!) Harmon

And definition #2 is: Someone who learns more and more about less and less
until he knows everything about nothing.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.






 
Date: 06 Feb 2007 10:44:22
From: daveb
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
How many grinders have I had to repair in over 2 years?

only two. and it was not due to gunk. Both were old and one had a
bad capacitor, the other a bad switch, that the owner was thinking of
scrapping -- I fixed for FREE.

taking a grinder apart every 2 weeks that has probably ground 2 or 3
lbs. of coffee in that time -- in a home setting -- is a complete and
utter waste of time. AND making things WAY more difficult than they
have to be.

why not go through your house -- dismantle and clean all the drain
traps weekly? Or rotate the tires on your car every 2 weeks??

that makes about as much sense. btw, Mr. Harmon has a history of
making up insulting handles -- just for fun. old habits die hard and
I have not seen his gaggias on ebay for sometime

Dave
www.hitechespresso.com







On Feb 6, 1:01 pm, "Robert Harmon" <r_h_har...@Zhotmail.com > wrote:
> Someone (whom I openly acknowledge to be an expert) questioned my
> 'qualifications' to offer advice on the subject of grinder maintenance.
> Firstly, let me say that advice is cheap to give and sometimes VERY costly
> to take. Now ask yourself who'd most likely tell you the truth about how to
> take care of your machine yourself, someone who's done it for years, is a
> retired engineer, and an all around nice guy, or someone whose livelihood is
> based on selling & repairing machines & whose pat answer for 99% of the
> posts he replies to is, 'send it to me so I can put an overpriced PID on
> it'?
>
> Preventative maintenance is the hallk of a st machine owner (any kind
> of machine!). Taking a grinder down to the burrs is a very simple matter for
> most grinders & if the beans ground in it are oily that's the only way to
> get at the caked on grounds that build up in the nooks & crannies inside the
> machine. As for messing up your settings, c'mon lets get real here. There is
> no 'precise' grind setting that fits all beans, so adjustments are always
> being made. What's the big deal about remembering that your starting point
> will be 'x' degrees counter clockwise from the rubbing point, and that
> making the final adjustments will depend on what you're grinding today.
>
> Most folks want make this hobby of ours way too complex & you know what
> folks; it aint rocket science (I know cause I've seen rocket science up
> close & personal for several decades). Have fun with it & drink nothing but
> good coffee.
> --
> Robert (who defines an expert as; ex is a has-been & spurt is a drip under
> pressure!) Harmonhttp://tinyurl.com/pou2yhttp://tinyurl.com/psfobhttp://tinyurl.com/fkd6r




  
Date: 08 Feb 2007 13:32:54
From: Brent
Subject: Re: 'expert' mechanics
> Or rotate the tires on your car every 2 weeks??

hmm, thats not a bad thought, given the mileage I do...