coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 13 Oct 2006 13:15:55
From: Timothy Douma
Subject: hard plumbing alternatives
I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to use
it temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can I
load it with water?




 
Date: 16 Oct 2006 12:11:38
From: Brent
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
Plumb it from a hose - as long as you are filtering, and the hose is clean
etc.

I did this while we were waiting for plumbers.

Looked good with the two group on the deck outside.

Brent

>I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to use it
>temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can I load it
>with water?




  
Date: 15 Oct 2006 23:19:28
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
"Brent" <me@privacy.net > wrote in news:4pfsi8Fhsd0bU1@individual.net:

> Plumb it from a hose - as long as you are filtering, and the hose is
> clean etc.
>
> I did this while we were waiting for plumbers.
>
> Looked good with the two group on the deck outside.
>
> Brent
>
>>I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to
>>use it temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can
>>I load it with water?
>
>
>

Use of a garden hose could subject you to chemicals you probably don't want
to put in your body. It's OK to hook up a water hose for testing but I
don't suggest anyone consume it.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/get-the-lead-out-of-the-
garden-hose-503/overview/index.htm

http://www.health.com/health/qanda/0,23514,1076976,00.html

Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
--
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
Remove "Z" to reply via email.


   
Date: 16 Oct 2006 13:57:33
From: Brent
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
well ok you get the idea though, from memory it was a length of flexible
water pipe, and was going through several filters...

>
>> Plumb it from a hose - as long as you are filtering, and the hose is
>> clean etc.
>>
>> I did this while we were waiting for plumbers.
>>
>> Looked good with the two group on the deck outside.
>>
>> Brent
>>
>>>I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to
>>>use it temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can
>>>I load it with water?
>>
>>
>>
>
> Use of a garden hose could subject you to chemicals you probably don't
> want
> to put in your body. It's OK to hook up a water hose for testing but I
> don't suggest anyone consume it.
>
> http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness/get-the-lead-out-of-the-
> garden-hose-503/overview/index.htm
>
> http://www.health.com/health/qanda/0,23514,1076976,00.html
>
> Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
> --
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
> Remove "Z" to reply via email.




 
Date: 13 Oct 2006 11:08:29
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
Most rotary machines will suck from a container if the distance is kept
reasonable. However, this approach is dangerous to your pump in that if the
container ever runs dry and the autofill is calling for water , and you are
not there to notice, the pump will run and run until it burns itself out.
But if you just want to test the machine and plan on shutting it off when
it's not in active use, it's fine.


"Timothy Douma" <doumafam@ameritech.net > wrote in message
news:fkMXg.9942$TV3.2872@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to use it
>temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can I load it
>with water?




  
Date: 13 Oct 2006 15:25:58
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:08:29 -0400, "Jack Denver"
<nunuvyer@netscape.net > wrote:

>Most rotary machines will suck from a container if the distance is kept
>reasonable. However, this approach is dangerous to your pump in that if the
>container ever runs dry and the autofill is calling for water , and you are
>not there to notice, the pump will run and run until it burns itself out.
>But if you just want to test the machine and plan on shutting it off when
>it's not in active use, it's fine.
>

also, not all machines have inlet checkvalves (or *properly
functioning* checkvalves), and boiler pressure can empty the boiler
into the reservoir causing all sorts of nasty problems.



   
Date: 13 Oct 2006 11:49:29
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
The main one being that it will cook your pump - Procons are not designed to
handle hot water.

I wonder if by now it wouldn't be possible to build a pump that indeed
handles hot water - it really would make more sense to put the pump on the
hot water side of the HX if you could.


"Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com > wrote in message
news:cubvi2525vp741d08s7s2ing8st027ij07@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:08:29 -0400, "Jack Denver"
> <nunuvyer@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Most rotary machines will suck from a container if the distance is kept
> >reasonable. However, this approach is dangerous to your pump in that if
> >the
> >container ever runs dry and the autofill is calling for water , and you
> >are
> >not there to notice, the pump will run and run until it burns itself out.
> >But if you just want to test the machine and plan on shutting it off when
> >it's not in active use, it's fine.
> >
>
> also, not all machines have inlet checkvalves (or *properly
> functioning* checkvalves), and boiler pressure can empty the boiler
> into the reservoir causing all sorts of nasty problems.
>




    
Date: 13 Oct 2006 17:41:37
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
That would make production of a machine so much simpler & pulling shots a
piece of cake, wouldn't it?

A few buddies of mine are still working on doing that. They've had several
prototypes but each has had problems, mostly to do with exotic seals &
metals driving production costs through the roof. If size wasn't a
consideration they say they could put one into production tomorrow but it
would be the size of Shaq's shoe box. I've put my ideas of developing a
machine with a post boiler pump on the shelf until they come up with a
solution.
--
Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"Jack Denver" <nunuvyer@netscape.net > wrote in message
news:hO-dnR7s2vsXKLLYnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@comcast.com...
> The main one being that it will cook your pump - Procons are not designed
> to handle hot water.
>
> I wonder if by now it wouldn't be possible to build a pump that indeed
> handles hot water - it really would make more sense to put the pump on the
> hot water side of the HX if you could.
>
>
> "Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com> wrote in message
> news:cubvi2525vp741d08s7s2ing8st027ij07@4ax.com...
>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:08:29 -0400, "Jack Denver"
>> <nunuvyer@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Most rotary machines will suck from a container if the distance is kept
>> >reasonable. However, this approach is dangerous to your pump in that if
>> >the
>> >container ever runs dry and the autofill is calling for water , and you
>> >are
>> >not there to notice, the pump will run and run until it burns itself
>> >out.
>> >But if you just want to test the machine and plan on shutting it off
>> >when
>> >it's not in active use, it's fine.
>> >
>>
>> also, not all machines have inlet checkvalves (or *properly
>> functioning* checkvalves), and boiler pressure can empty the boiler
>> into the reservoir causing all sorts of nasty problems.
>>
>
>




     
Date: 13 Oct 2006 17:16:04
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
There are pumps that handle hot water around - they use them in nuclear
plants and such but they ain't cheap. Vibe pumps are cheap and they do the
job, more or less. It's a tough sell getting manufacturers to switch from
cheap to expensive.



"Robert Harmon" <r_h_harmon@Zhotmail.com > wrote in message
news:ldQXg.13359$UG4.2057@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> That would make production of a machine so much simpler & pulling shots a
> piece of cake, wouldn't it?
>
> A few buddies of mine are still working on doing that. They've had several
> prototypes but each has had problems, mostly to do with exotic seals &
> metals driving production costs through the roof. If size wasn't a
> consideration they say they could put one into production tomorrow but it
> would be the size of Shaq's shoe box. I've put my ideas of developing a
> machine with a post boiler pump on the shelf until they come up with a
> solution.
> --
> Robert (duck & cover) Harmon
> http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
> http://tinyurl.com/psfob
> http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r
>
> "Jack Denver" <nunuvyer@netscape.net> wrote in message
> news:hO-dnR7s2vsXKLLYnZ2dnUVZ_qudnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> The main one being that it will cook your pump - Procons are not designed
>> to handle hot water.
>>
>> I wonder if by now it wouldn't be possible to build a pump that indeed
>> handles hot water - it really would make more sense to put the pump on
>> the hot water side of the HX if you could.
>>
>>
>> "Barry Jarrett" <barry@rileys-coffee.com> wrote in message
>> news:cubvi2525vp741d08s7s2ing8st027ij07@4ax.com...
>>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:08:29 -0400, "Jack Denver"
>>> <nunuvyer@netscape.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> >Most rotary machines will suck from a container if the distance is kept
>>> >reasonable. However, this approach is dangerous to your pump in that
>>> >if the
>>> >container ever runs dry and the autofill is calling for water , and you
>>> >are
>>> >not there to notice, the pump will run and run until it burns itself
>>> >out.
>>> >But if you just want to test the machine and plan on shutting it off
>>> >when
>>> >it's not in active use, it's fine.
>>> >
>>>
>>> also, not all machines have inlet checkvalves (or *properly
>>> functioning* checkvalves), and boiler pressure can empty the boiler
>>> into the reservoir causing all sorts of nasty problems.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>




 
Date: 13 Oct 2006 14:01:22
From: Robert Harmon
Subject: Re: hard plumbing alternatives
Most people will tell you to get an under-counter water tank & electric pump
to take the place of direct plumbing your machine, and they're right in that
this is the optimum choice.

There is another alternative; I used my La Cimbali with a passive water
system. I simply put the inlet hose in a bottle of water & let the pump suck
up what it needed. Eventually I had it plumbed in but it seemed to work OK
without the plumbing.

Oh, one thing I did was put the water reservoir above the pump's level so
gravity kept it primed.
--
Robert (There's seldom just one correct answer.) Harmon
http://tinyurl.com/pou2y
http://tinyurl.com/psfob
http://tinyurl.com/fkd6r

"Timothy Douma" <doumafam@ameritech.net > wrote in message
news:fkMXg.9942$TV3.2872@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>I just picked up a Simonelli and I am wondering if it is possible to use it
>temporarily without plumbing it into the system. i.e., how can I load it
>with water?