coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 02 May 2007 19:31:05
From:
Subject: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
I am motivated by the local rancilio parts dealer's $35.00 price tag
on the teflon (?) tube between the pump output and the boiler inlet,
to source it from somewhere else. Does anybody know the I/D and O/D
on this tube (I don't have a set of calipers handy)? Can I get it
from a tubing supply house?





 
Date: 09 May 2007 05:41:16
From: Dave b
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
On May 2, 10:31 pm, Dr.Xen...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am motivated by the local rancilio parts dealer's $35.00 price tag
> on the teflon (?) tube between the pump output and the boiler inlet,
> to source it from somewhere else. Does anybody know the I/D and O/D
> on this tube (I don't have a set of calipers handy)? Can I get it
> from a tubing supply house?


Mcmaster is known for 2 things -- vast selection and HIGH prices.

just call Chriscoffee.com and get the hose for a few bucks



 
Date: 08 May 2007 10:51:11
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
On May 4, 6:43 pm, Dr.Xen...@gmail.com wrote:

> Interestingly, the swagelock 6mm tube is only barely able to handle
> the 8-10 bar the Ulka EP5 is developing. I think I would have used
> the 1.5 mm thick stuff, but manifestly there's no problem or this
> newsgroup would be filled with complaints about failures.

That's why, when you're doing this sort of thing, which is essentially
re-engineering the product, it's wise to carefully look at the
specifications as you've done. The stuff from McMaster-Carr has a
burst strength of 250 psi or so, depending on the exact one you
select, but at 73 F. That gives enough margin that the 135 psi the
pump develops at 205 shouldn't be a problem, but that's why if you
want to be absolutely sure you pay the $35.

Best,
David



 
Date: 04 May 2007 18:43:06
From:
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
On May 4, 6:38 pm, "Eric Svendson" <e...@erols.com > wrote:
> If you have a Swagelok distributor in your area, they sell M6 x 4 PFA
> tubing - typically in 100 ft rolls in the US but Canada may sell it by the
> foot - its worth a try.

Swagelock looked promising, but they're only selling in 50 or 100 foot
lengths in my market.

Interestingly, the swagelock 6mm tube is only barely able to handle
the 8-10 bar the Ulka EP5 is developing. I think I would have used
the 1.5 mm thick stuff, but manifestly there's no problem or this
newsgroup would be filled with complaints about failures.



 
Date: 03 May 2007 18:24:34
From:
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
On May 3, 12:19 pm, DavidMLewis <DavidMLe...@mac.com > wrote:
> On May 2, 7:31 pm, Dr.Xen...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > I am motivated by the local rancilio parts dealer's $35.00 price tag
> > on the teflon (?) tube between the pump output and the boiler inlet,
> > to source it from somewhere else. Does anybody know the I/D and O/D
> > on this tube

> I don't have a Sylvia, so I can't help you with the size, although I'd
> be surprised if it wasn't 6 mm OD and 4 mm ID.

Thanks for offering the guess; I measured the OD with a ruler and
you're right, it's 6 mm. That seems to dictate an ID of 4 mm (i.e. a
wall thickness of 1 mm) on the mcmaster carr site; as soon as you
select 6 mm it dumps you into a page describing 6mm/4mm tubing. I
ordered 3 feet for a grand total of $4.26 plus as-yet undetermined
shipping. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the flaring tool but there
must be a bunch of places to get that locally here in Toronto.



  
Date: 04 May 2007 18:38:49
From: Eric Svendson
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
Certainly Craig & David are correct on the tubing size - M6 x 4 mm teflon.
You don't need any flaring tool as the tubing will expand itself as you
force it over the nipples. The length of the tubing on the Sylvia's without
the adjustable OPV was 170 mm. It may not have changed on the newer
Sylvia's but I'm not sure of that one. GENTLY and carefully WARMING up the
metal "nipples" with one of those mini-butane torches will make the tube
expansion go a lot easier.

If you have a Swagelok distributor in your area, they sell M6 x 4 PFA
tubing - typically in 100 ft rolls in the US but Canada may sell it by the
foot - its worth a try.

Eric S.

<Dr.Xenon1@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1178241874.892139.85070@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...
> On May 3, 12:19 pm, DavidMLewis <DavidMLe...@mac.com> wrote:
>> On May 2, 7:31 pm, Dr.Xen...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > I am motivated by the local rancilio parts dealer's $35.00 price tag
>> > on the teflon (?) tube between the pump output and the boiler inlet,
>> > to source it from somewhere else. Does anybody know the I/D and O/D
>> > on this tube
>
>> I don't have a Sylvia, so I can't help you with the size, although I'd
>> be surprised if it wasn't 6 mm OD and 4 mm ID.
>
> Thanks for offering the guess; I measured the OD with a ruler and
> you're right, it's 6 mm. That seems to dictate an ID of 4 mm (i.e. a
> wall thickness of 1 mm) on the mcmaster carr site; as soon as you
> select 6 mm it dumps you into a page describing 6mm/4mm tubing. I
> ordered 3 feet for a grand total of $4.26 plus as-yet undetermined
> shipping. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the flaring tool but there
> must be a bunch of places to get that locally here in Toronto.
>




   
Date: 04 May 2007 20:07:18
From: Craig Andrews
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia

"Eric Svendson" <erics@erols.com > wrote in message
news:Ubydne5h_5WdK6bbnZ2dnUVZ_g-dnZ2d@rcn.net...
> Certainly Craig & David are correct on the tubing size - M6 x 4 mm
> teflon. You don't need any flaring tool as the tubing will expand
> itself as you force it over the nipples. The length of the tubing on
> the Sylvia's without the adjustable OPV was 170 mm. It may not have
> changed on the newer Sylvia's but I'm not sure of that one. GENTLY
> and carefully WARMING up the metal "nipples" with one of those
> mini-butane torches will make the tube expansion go a lot easier.
>
> If you have a Swagelok distributor in your area, they sell M6 x 4 PFA
> tubing - typically in 100 ft rolls in the US but Canada may sell it by
> the foot - its worth a try.
>
> Eric S.


Thanks Eric! {;-)
Sincerely,
Craig.



 
Date: 03 May 2007 09:19:06
From: DavidMLewis
Subject: Re: size of tube from pump output to boiler inlet on silvia
On May 2, 7:31 pm, Dr.Xen...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am motivated by the local rancilio parts dealer's $35.00 price tag
> on the teflon (?) tube between the pump output and the boiler inlet,
> to source it from somewhere else. Does anybody know the I/D and O/D
> on this tube (I don't have a set of calipers handy)? Can I get it
> from a tubing supply house?

I don't have a Sylvia, so I can't help you with the size, although I'd
be surprised if it wasn't 6 mm OD and 4 mm ID. What you want is at
<http://www.mcmaster.com/ >, Teflon-FEP, Teflon-PFA, and PTFE will all
meet the requirements and are all FDA-rated. Prices range from US$1.42/
ft up to US$2.44/ft. The latter is for the Teflon-PFA which is
advertised as crack-resistant.

Best,
David