coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 16 Oct 2006 01:35:39
From:
Subject: stupid question? pump wiring
I have a Silvia, and I recently bought a used pump off of ebay... 'The
pump works, it was used in an espresso machine', the description says.

The pump is a fluidotech rotoflow. The pump motor says 'Mercadal SA'
on the side.

There are 3 wires going into the pump's control box.
How should I wire them up?

If I wire two of them to hot and ground, the pump seems to work, but it
doesn't want to go very high pressure. I had some difficulty getting
it up to 9.2, when it gets around 9 if I tighten the screw too much to
turn up the pressure, it starts chugging a bit, and then stops if I go
too much.

I thought a pump like this should go rather higher than that. I worry
that it needs that 3rd wire to operate correctly, but I wanted to ask
before I messed around with it any more.





 
Date: 17 Oct 2006 13:27:49
From: Phil P
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring

Ian Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:38:17 -0400, Jack Denver <nunuvyer@netscape.net> wrote:
> >
> > The other two wires (despite being "hot" and "neutral" according to EU
> > convention)
>
> Well, 'live' and 'neutral' - we don't have 'hot' in euro. If your
> wiring is hot something is wrong with it.
>

The politically-correct terms are 'Line' and neutral now, the rationale
being that if you call one live, people will think the other isn't,
which it might be, but probably not ;)



 
Date: 17 Oct 2006 06:05:23
From: daveb
Subject: pump wiring
The yellow green is ground. Euro standard

the other 2 MUST be the hot leads

and it won't work on 120 volts

Dave 129



 
Date: 17 Oct 2006 00:19:26
From:
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
I don't plan on stuffing it inside silvia... That was my original
idea, but when I got the pump, that idea went down the tubes, I figured
it would be vaguely the size of silvia's stock pump, but it's much
larger (larger than the boiler).


It has 3 wires coming out of it.

One of them is black, one is light blue, and one is yellow and green.

Currently, I have the black grounded and the light blue is the pump
switch off of silvia. I have (nervously) tried all different
combinations of the 3 pump leads and the two silvia leads... the way I
have it hooked up now is the only way the pump will run.

But since the pump seems a little wimpier than it should, and the third
wire doesn't seem to do anything at all, I wonder if i'm doing
something wrong.


The spec plate: (I can't interpret much of this stuff).

MERCADAL SA BARCELONA
Tipo BMC 40-4
1~Mot.
220 V 1,7 A
1/4 C.V. 0,18 KW S1 cos q 0,90
1700 / min. 60 Hz
Aisto. cl. B IP 20 VDE0530/72
Cond. 10 MFD 450 V.



  
Date: 24 Oct 2006 04:04:13
From: Barry Jarrett
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
On 17 Oct 2006 00:19:26 -0700, dleary@gmail.com wrote:

>The spec plate: (I can't interpret much of this stuff).

>220 V


if you are in the US, you just answered your own question as to why
the pump appears to be wimpy.



  
Date: 17 Oct 2006 10:38:17
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
Green & yellow is safety ground - the pump will operate fine without it,
though not safely.

The other two wires (despite being "hot" and "neutral" according to EU
convention) would, when hooked up in the US to a 240V connections would be
connected "hot" and "hot", with each hot being off the opposite leg of your
breaker panel. Each hot is 120V away from ground but opposite in polarity,
so they are 240V apart with respect to each other. If this is all
goobledygook to you, you need to call an electrician and tell him you want a
240 V outlet. Or else find a 120V motor.

I assume you've connected the thing to 120V (a normal wall outlet) and
that's why its spinning weakly.

<dleary@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1161069566.255748.62750@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>I don't plan on stuffing it inside silvia... That was my original
> idea, but when I got the pump, that idea went down the tubes, I figured
> it would be vaguely the size of silvia's stock pump, but it's much
> larger (larger than the boiler).
>
>
> It has 3 wires coming out of it.
>
> One of them is black, one is light blue, and one is yellow and green.
>
> Currently, I have the black grounded and the light blue is the pump
> switch off of silvia. I have (nervously) tried all different
> combinations of the 3 pump leads and the two silvia leads... the way I
> have it hooked up now is the only way the pump will run.
>
> But since the pump seems a little wimpier than it should, and the third
> wire doesn't seem to do anything at all, I wonder if i'm doing
> something wrong.
>
>
> The spec plate: (I can't interpret much of this stuff).
>
> MERCADAL SA BARCELONA
> Tipo BMC 40-4
> 1~Mot.
> 220 V 1,7 A
> 1/4 C.V. 0,18 KW S1 cos q 0,90
> 1700 / min. 60 Hz
> Aisto. cl. B IP 20 VDE0530/72
> Cond. 10 MFD 450 V.
>




   
Date: 17 Oct 2006 18:25:12
From: Ian Smith
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:38:17 -0400, Jack Denver <nunuvyer@netscape.net > wrote:
>
> The other two wires (despite being "hot" and "neutral" according to EU
> convention)

Well, 'live' and 'neutral' - we don't have 'hot' in euro. If your
wiring is hot something is wrong with it.

regards, Ian SMith
--


    
Date: 17 Oct 2006 21:35:46
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
Yes, "hot" is "live" in Britspeak and "ground" is "earth" (and an elevator
is a lift and a hood is a bonnet, etc.) but it's not that hard to figure out
. I suppose energized would have been better than either hot or live (or
line or phase), but then we'd disagree on the spelling.

If your wiring is alive something is majorly wrong with it.



"Ian Smith" <ian@astounding.org.uk > wrote in message
news:slrneja807.q8.ian@acheron.smithnet...
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:38:17 -0400, Jack Denver <nunuvyer@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> The other two wires (despite being "hot" and "neutral" according to EU
>> convention)
>
> Well, 'live' and 'neutral' - we don't have 'hot' in euro. If your
> wiring is hot something is wrong with it.
>
> regards, Ian SMith
> --
>


    
Date: 18 Oct 2006 10:28:27
From: Brent
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
If the wiring is hot / warm it indicates it is carrying current... hot
perhaps indicates you may be overdoing it a bit.

but I am no electrician...

> If your wiring is hot something is wrong with it.
>
> regards, Ian SMith
> --
>


  
Date: 17 Oct 2006 09:26:55
From: James Jeffrey
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring

> One of them is black, one is light blue, and one is yellow and green.

As Johnny has already pointed out that looks a little like the EU mains
colour code.

Brown (Apparently it can be black, especially in older cables, never
seen it though!) = Live
Blue = Neutral
Yellow/Green = Earth (Ground)

If it's European that could explain a lot - we have 230v AC over here,
so maybe your pump is only getting half power.

Also if you have two of those wires connected to live then I'm surprised
it's working... make sure you haven't accidentally hooked the casing up
to live...

James




   
Date: 17 Oct 2006 06:33:43
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring

"James Jeffrey" <altcoffee@jgj.org.uk > wrote in message
news:eNydnW5ucYVDDqnYnZ2dnUVZ8tadnZ2d@eclipse.net.uk...
>
> > One of them is black, one is light blue, and one is yellow and green.
>
> As Johnny has already pointed out that looks a little like the EU mains
> colour code.
>
> Brown (Apparently it can be black, especially in older cables, never
> seen it though!) = Live
> Blue = Neutral
> Yellow/Green = Earth (Ground)
>
> If it's European that could explain a lot - we have 230v AC over here,
> so maybe your pump is only getting half power.
>
Plus the label says 220v...

> Also if you have two of those wires connected to live then I'm surprised
> it's working... make sure you haven't accidentally hooked the casing up
> to live...
>
yikes!




  
Date: 17 Oct 2006 08:08:53
From: Coffee for Connoisseurs
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
Yellow & green is euro convention for "earth".


--
Alan

alanfrew@coffeeco.com.au
www.coffeeco.com.au




  
Date: 17 Oct 2006 00:50:27
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring

<dleary@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1161069566.255748.62750@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> I don't plan on stuffing it inside silvia... That was my original
> idea, but when I got the pump, that idea went down the tubes, I figured
> it would be vaguely the size of silvia's stock pump, but it's much
> larger (larger than the boiler).
>
>
> It has 3 wires coming out of it.
>
> One of them is black, one is light blue, and one is yellow and green.

That would seem to be the european color code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60446





 
Date: 16 Oct 2006 06:11:49
From: daveb
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
Are you intending to try and stuff this pump into a silvia??

3rd wire is yellow / green? -- that is ground!

dave

dave 127 b



 
Date: 16 Oct 2006 08:53:12
From: Jack Denver
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
What does the spec plate say on the motor (volts, phases, cycles, etc.)?

<dleary@gmail.com > wrote in message
news:1160987738.979296.98630@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have a Silvia, and I recently bought a used pump off of ebay... 'The
> pump works, it was used in an espresso machine', the description says.
>
> The pump is a fluidotech rotoflow. The pump motor says 'Mercadal SA'
> on the side.
>
> There are 3 wires going into the pump's control box.
> How should I wire them up?
>
> If I wire two of them to hot and ground, the pump seems to work, but it
> doesn't want to go very high pressure. I had some difficulty getting
> it up to 9.2, when it gets around 9 if I tighten the screw too much to
> turn up the pressure, it starts chugging a bit, and then stops if I go
> too much.
>
> I thought a pump like this should go rather higher than that. I worry
> that it needs that 3rd wire to operate correctly, but I wanted to ask
> before I messed around with it any more.
>




 
Date: 16 Oct 2006 05:46:14
From:
Subject: Re: stupid question? pump wiring
The 20-yr old ulka pump in my gaggia has 3 wires, two are hot and
one is ground. The ground wire is tied to a connector that is
bolted to the machine's frame. Not sure about the fluidotech though.

John

dleary@gmail.com wrote:
> I have a Silvia, and I recently bought a used pump off of ebay... 'The
> pump works, it was used in an espresso machine', the description says.
>
> The pump is a fluidotech rotoflow. The pump motor says 'Mercadal SA'
> on the side.
>
> There are 3 wires going into the pump's control box.
> How should I wire them up?