coffee-forum.net
Promoting coffee discussion.

Main
Date: 21 Apr 2007 08:15:36
From: Ken
Subject: water hardness: converting microS/cm to ppm
I want to use a Hanna TDS meter to test my water. The testing solution
is 800 microS/cc. Does anyone know the conversion factor to parts per
million? (at least I think it is micro. It is the Greek mu in front of
the S. It is tough to google a symbol like the mu)

Thanks
Ken




 
Date: 22 Apr 2007 10:41:27
From: Johnny
Subject: Re: water hardness: converting microS/cm to ppm

"Ken" <ken@comcast.net > wrote in message
news:-KudnVnRZqyht7fbnZ2dnUVZ_qOpnZ2d@comcast.com...
> I want to use a Hanna TDS meter to test my water. The testing solution
> is 800 microS/cc. Does anyone know the conversion factor to parts per
> million? (at least I think it is micro. It is the Greek mu in front of
> the S. It is tough to google a symbol like the mu)
>
> Thanks
> Ken

micro Siemens per cc doesn't make much sense for hardness but

micro Siemens per centimeter is mentioned here:
http://www.biophysica.com/conductivity.htm (once I could get the page to
load)




  
Date: 22 Apr 2007 11:03:43
From: Ken
Subject: Re: water hardness: converting microS/cm to ppm
Johnny said the following on 4/22/2007 10:41 AM:
> "Ken" <ken@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:-KudnVnRZqyht7fbnZ2dnUVZ_qOpnZ2d@comcast.com...
>> I want to use a Hanna TDS meter to test my water. The testing solution
>> is 800 microS/cc. Does anyone know the conversion factor to parts per
>> million? (at least I think it is micro. It is the Greek mu in front of
>> the S. It is tough to google a symbol like the mu)
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ken
>
> micro Siemens per cc doesn't make much sense for hardness but
>
> micro Siemens per centimeter is mentioned here:
> http://www.biophysica.com/conductivity.htm (once I could get the page to
> load)
>
>
BINGO!

That is just the info I needed to calibrate the unit. (I was in error
about the solution--it is 84 microS/cm, not 800, corresponding to 42 ppm
per the article.) I adjusted the unit to read 42 ppm for the solution
was able to measure my tap water.

Thanks
Ken


 
Date: 21 Apr 2007 15:53:16
From: jim schulman
Subject: Re: water hardness: converting microS/cm to ppm
On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:15:36 -0700, Ken <ken@comcast.net > wrote:

>I want to use a Hanna TDS meter to test my water. The testing solution
>is 800 microS/cc. Does anyone know the conversion factor to parts per
>million? (at least I think it is micro. It is the Greek mu in front of
>the S. It is tough to google a symbol like the mu)
>

Really tough conversion: micrograms/cc == 800 ppm.

Engineers sometimes get religion. They then form a new sect of the
Metric Church and declare holy war on all the others. PPM, mg/L, and
mu-g/cc are all ways of saying the same thing. If someone gives you a
long gibbesish sermon on why it's unscientific (rhymes with unholy) to
use one or the other, you've run into a metric church sectarian.


  
Date: 21 Apr 2007 15:37:36
From: Ken
Subject: Re: water hardness: converting microS/cm to ppm
jim schulman said the following on 4/21/2007 1:53 PM:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:15:36 -0700, Ken <ken@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I want to use a Hanna TDS meter to test my water. The testing solution
>> is 800 microS/cc. Does anyone know the conversion factor to parts per
>> million? (at least I think it is micro. It is the Greek mu in front of
>> the S. It is tough to google a symbol like the mu)
>>
>
> Really tough conversion: micrograms/cc == 800 ppm.
>
> Engineers sometimes get religion. They then form a new sect of the
> Metric Church and declare holy war on all the others. PPM, mg/L, and
> mu-g/cc are all ways of saying the same thing. If someone gives you a
> long gibbesish sermon on why it's unscientific (rhymes with unholy) to
> use one or the other, you've run into a metric church sectarian.
Jim,

I am not sure why my browser moved this response to its own thread
except for the difference in the "cc" and "cm" in the title, but I
posted a question to you in my original thread above.